Post-Draft depth chart

Jetsfan80

From a Boston writer.  Do you agree?

http://www.boston.com/sports/blogs/goingdeep/2013/05/new_york_jets_post-draft_depth.html

header.png

Erik Frenz  May 2, 2013 07:00 AM

The New York Jets 2013 NFL draft picks haven't even taken the field for their first minicamp yet, but their impact is already being felt on the roster.

Two of the seven players drafted will likely be the starters at their positions, and another three will at least be competing for a starting job.

Here's my take on how the Jets depth chart shakes up for the 2013 season.

Free-agents and trades are in red, draft picks are in blue, undrafted free-agents are in purple. Layout courtesy Greg Bedard, with some minor changes.

JETS%205-4.png

Few things I'd nitpick.

First I'd separate the WRs into WR1 and WR2.  Homes and Hill.  This slot column is fine but it implies Kerley is a starter and Hill is a backup this way. 

I think Winters starts over Peterman.

I'm not sure any depth chart can properly map out how the front-7 is going to work this season.  I think we see Richardson on a lot of plays but not sure where exactly. 

I think until proven otherwise, you have to put Sanchez as the starting QB.

Aboushi might be the backup at both LT and RT.  Have to wait and see on that.

I think Winters starts over Peterman. 

for as bad Peterman was last year he still has 66 career starts. Winters has 0. The depth chart is right for now.

Winters hopefully will start at some point but odds are unlikely that a 3rd rd OT converting to OG starts week 1. If the Jets had drafted Chance Warmack I would agree he starts. 

I also think this guy has it right with Garrard over Sanchez. He's a better QB. 

Garrard may pass Sanchez during TC but I don't think anyone can conclude that he's penciled in as the starter yet.  At least probably not in Rex's mind.  Of course this is all mental masturbation until TC starts anyway.

Total disrespect of Hayden Smith.

You're joking, but +1

Hayden Smith played in a few games and caught a ball or two.  That's more than can be said for the two ahead of him.  The guy is a good athlete and he's probably ahead of Shanahan and Pantale right now.  I also do not understand the Jordan White love.  The guy got cut.  Gates should be ahead of him. Gates was there almost the entire year and White does not make the roster unless Gates and the others all get hurt.  Jordan White has as many catches and less yards than Hayden Smith.  Of course, I'm on record as liking Gates more than anybody else here.  He may blow up under MM or get cut cause he's too stupid and raw to run the routes wanted.

Nitpicks though because those bottom roster guys are going to bounce around anyway.  They list guys as backup slot WR, but I'd be shocked if any make the cut, unless it's this year's UDFA.    Also interested that Tripuka is listed ahead of Purdum as LS, but not a big deal either way. 

QB is wrong. The rest seems right. Our TEs = LOL.

And to nycdan's point, Kerley is the starter over Hill in any slot of WR because Hill hasn't shown what it takes to start even though this brilliant coaching staff relied upon that last season.

Sanchez will start.

Hayden Smith should probably be higher.

I think Winters wins the job over Peterman.

If the RB depth chart means that Goodson will be the "3rd down back" then yes, but he will get more reps than Powell, I think.

The Coples move to OLB probably shakes things up a bit.

I'd guess that Wilson is the "starter" over Milliner on Day 1, but it won't matter much since both will probably be on the field a ton.

TE, WR, ROLB, LOLB, LG, RG, FS, SS.

No blue names at the top of any of those.

That's why this draft was a failure.

TE - Yes, needed a TE. Hopefully Cumberland continues his progress.

WR - Not an immediate need. We have Holmes, Hill and Kerley.

ROLB - Maybe you missed out on the Antwan Barnes signing

LOLB - We got Pace back. A switch to 4-3 D may not even require Pace.

LG - Ducasse and Colon are both as good as Slauson if not better.

RG - Winters is not a bench warmer, pun intended.

FS - Josh Bush was rated pretty high around here. Would've liked an upgrade though.

SS - Did u forget Landry? You weren't going to see 10 "blue names at the top of" 10 starting positions we had to cover for.

Sanchez will start.

Hayden Smith should probably be higher.

I think Winters wins the job over Peterman.

If the RB depth chart means that Goodson will be the "3rd down back" then yes, but he will get more reps than Powell, I think.

The Coples move to OLB probably shakes things up a bit.

I'd guess that Wilson is the "starter" over Milliner on Day 1, but it won't matter much since both will probably be on the field a ton.

Sanchez starting is not a given. I think Garrard will start.

Hayden Smith did nothing last year.

Milliner wasn't drafted 9th overall to be the slot guy.

Archived