Like it or Not Sanchez is the Man in 13

flgreen

IMO that would be the worst, the dumbest thing they could possibly do.  Yeah, let's not learn anything from how we handled Sanchez.  Let's just throw Smith in and ruin whatever chances he has of developing into either our franchise QB, quality backup or trade material.  Smith doesn't have to play a down for the Jets to know whether or not they need to draft a QB in next year's draft.  They can see how he works with the coaches, if he is coachable, and if so, if he is improving.  They can see how he plays in practice, his work ethic, and what leadership abilities he has.

Besides, there's a school of thought that says teams should draft a QB every year regardless.  You may think you have your franchise-caliber starting QB, then could draft a developmental QB in a middle or lower round that could turn out to be better than your starter.  Even if not, he could develop into a great backup and someone to continually push the starter or someone that could be traded for a 2nd or even 1st round draft pick.

I think the Jets should keep drafting a QB every year until they have a great one, a true franchise-caliber QB.

great post. Im sure there will be plenty of evaluation during training camp mini camp and ota's

The coaching staff should know by training camp start which 2 QB's should battle for the Job any more than 2 would be silly IMO . If Geno proves worthy you may very well see the Jets Dump Garrard since he is certainly not in the long term plans and move forward with a Sanchez/Smith competition.

Lets assume Sanchez is not even on the team .... Are you ok with the WR/TE situation ? Sure we have some backs who can catch now but do you think its a good idea to bring a Rookie in with Santonio and the practice squad bunch ? We dont even know if Hill learned to catch yet .

yup throw him to the wolves. He needs to learn to play with what hes got and when he does get weapons will be even better.

yup throw him to the wolves. He needs to learn to play with what hes got and when he does get weapons will be even better.

Why does he need to learn to play that way?  Why does he need to play with no talent around him and develop bad habits from trying to do too much and play outside of himself?  Why risk getting him injured trying to do too much or because the OL isn't settled yet?  That makes zero sense.  

Why does he need to learn to play that way?  Why does he need to play with no talent around him and develop bad habits from trying to do too much and play outside of himself?  Why risk getting him injured trying to do too much or because the OL isn't settled yet?  That makes zero sense.  

because if you have everything handed to you you become sanchez?

Scouts explain why a lot of qbs come from not huge name schools. You want the guy who can fit it in a tight window when the WR is covered not one who learns by throwing to wide open people.

because if you have everything handed to you you become sanchez?

Scouts explain why a lot of qbs come from not huge name schools. You want the guy who can fit it in a tight window when the WR is covered not one who learns by throwing to wide open people.

Throwing him to the wolves IS handing him the starting QB spot rather than making him earn it.  Smith already knows how to fit the ball in a tight window.  He has exceptional accuracy.  

He would not gain one positive thing by "throwing him to the wolves", but rather only risk hurting him physically or mentally.  Sanchez sure didn't learn anything by getting thrown to the wolves, did he?

Throwing him to the wolves IS handing him the starting QB spot rather than making him earn it.  Smith already knows how to fit the ball in a tight window.  He has exceptional accuracy.  

He would not gain one positive thing by "throwing him to the wolves", but rather only risk hurting him physically or mentally.  Sanchez sure didn't learn anything by getting thrown to the wolves, did he?

The Issue I have with Sanchez is his turnover rate. And even bigger issue is his lack of realizing this is a major problem and probably the biggest one keeping him from moving forward as a QB in the NFL. When will this kid learn to just throw the ball away rather than pump faking 2 or 3 times ? I mean if you miss the window it very rarely opens back up unless you scramble and extend the play. if your in the pocket after stepping up and nothings there throw it away and get to the next play. This is the area where Sanchez telegraphs his intentions and defensive players eat that up in the NFL.

There is still a very small part of me that thinks Sanchez can turn the corner based on the systems hes been in and the lack of talent around him but that feeling started to take a big hit last year when Sanchez regressed even further in the turnover dept. Ok so the players around you suck that does not give you the excuse to turnover the ball at an alarming rate.

Now with Morhinwig coming in a preaching a west coast philosophy Sanchez will be getting rid of the ball quicker because that style of offense dictates that and we can see if he will respond to that type of system. While some give him zero chance to turn it around I still have a glimmer of hope that maybe it was the guys teaching him not doing that great a job. After all he was just a one year college starter and very impressionable.

I'll say this, I really hope the kid turns it around not just for the team but for himself and the beat down fans of this organization.

Smith doesn't have to play a down for the Jets to know whether or not they need to draft a QB in next year's draft.  They can see how he works with the coaches, if he is coachable, and if so, if he is improving.  They can see how he plays in practice, his work ethic, and what leadership abilities he has.

I disagree. While I wouldn't be inclined to throw him to the wolves on opening day (unless he legitimately wins the job - which is not entirely far fetched), but I think that barring a playoff season from Sanchez or Garrard, Smith will need to get into the starting lineup for the second half of the season. You only get part of the picture from what a player does in practice. They need to see what he does in games. He'll struggle, for sure, and seeing how he responds to that is also very critical. Mark Sanchez is mentally weak, and that's the knock on Geno, too. The Jets need to see him face real adversity this year.

OTOH, they could determine that he's not a potential franchise QB without ever getting him on the field. But even if they feel that way, I'd say they should get him out on the field for at least a couple games just to confirm their doubts.

Besides, there's a school of thought that says teams should draft a QB every year regardless.  You may think you have your franchise-caliber starting QB, then could draft a developmental QB in a middle or lower round that could turn out to be better than your starter.  Even if not, he could develop into a great backup and someone to continually push the starter or someone that could be traded for a 2nd or even 1st round draft pick.

I think the Jets should keep drafting a QB every year until they have a great one, a true franchise-caliber QB.

I agree with this. Bradway/Tanny have traded away far too many picks to take this approach in recent years. But the Jets will need to know if they need to trade three number 1's for Bridgewater, or if they should be taking a QB in the fourth round next year.

The Issue I have with Sanchez is his turnover rate. And even bigger issue is his lack of realizing this is a major problem and probably the biggest one keeping him from moving forward as a QB in the NFL. When will this kid learn to just throw the ball away rather than pump faking 2 or 3 times ? I mean if you miss the window it very rarely opens back up unless you scramble and extend the play. if your in the pocket after stepping up and nothings there throw it away and get to the next play. This is the area where Sanchez telegraphs his intentions and defensive players eat that up in the NFL.

There is still a very small part of me that thinks Sanchez can turn the corner based on the systems hes been in and the lack of talent around him but that feeling started to take a big hit last year when Sanchez regressed even further in the turnover dept. Ok so the players around you suck that does not give you the excuse to turnover the ball at an alarming rate.

Now with Morhinwig coming in a preaching a west coast philosophy Sanchez will be getting rid of the ball quicker because that style of offense dictates that and we can see if he will respond to that type of system. While some give him zero chance to turn it around I still have a glimmer of hope that maybe it was the guys teaching him not doing that great a job. After all he was just a one year college starter and very impressionable.

I'll say this, I really hope the kid turns it around not just for the team but for himself and the beat down fans of this organization.

What about his horrible accuracy?  West coast offense QB's are accurate right?  

We should see a much better comp percentage with a quick decisive passing game. If we dont see it in the WC offense we will NEVER see  it from Sanchez. The difference between a 55 % passer and a 60 % passer is about 2.5 to 3 completions per game. I dont think thats too much to ask from a QB in a west coast system.

? this is all contingent on him winning the starting job. If he has this exceptional accuracy you say then he should win it handedly

qbs are protected more then ever so you cant bank on him getting hurt also if he gets messed up mentally hes not mentally strong enough to be our franchise qb.

And sanchez his first two years wasnt thrown to the wolves he was babied. Andrew luck on the other hand they threw him out there to learn

thats fine but what are you hoping on ?

umm well id hope garrard becomes brady wins us a super bowl this year then mcelroy becomes the next peyton or that geno smith isnt as awful a person as people make him seem and hes turns out to be a great qb.

if none of those happen id settle with sanchez turning into peyton or brady but would rather see any of the other guys

umm well id hope garrard becomes brady wins us a super bowl this year then mcelroy becomes the next peyton or that geno smith isnt as awful a person as people make him seem and hes turns out to be a great qb.

if none of those happen id settle with sanchez turning into peyton or brady but would rather see any of the other guys

Get out of my brain!! That's exactly what I was thinking. wow

It is true. He is the best option. Which is sad really. Hopefully, Smith is ready next season and we can end the Sanchez error in 2014. Unless he pulls an Eli or Alex Smith, but I doubt it with this cast of characters.

What!!!! So if Russell Wilson was ready as a rookie.... Noticing i'm not mentioning RG3 or Luck because they are in different leagues.... But if Russell Wilson was ready standing at 5ft9 then Geno will be ready too... What makes Wilson better?  All those teams past on Wilson last year....  now he is great?  Im not saying Geno is better..Im not saying Wilson isn't that good...Im just saying as prospects go... Smith was a better one..

What!!!! So if Russell Wilson was ready as a rookie.... Noticing i'm not mentioning RG3 or Luck because they are in different leagues.... But if Russell Wilson was ready standing at 5ft9 then Geno will be ready too... What makes Wilson better?  All those teams past on Wilson last year....  now he is great?  Im not saying Geno is better..Im not saying Wilson isn't that good...Im just saying as prospects go... Smith was a better one..

Russell Wilson and Geno Smith are on completely different planets when it comes to maturity and readiness to play in the first year.  What does Wilson's height have to do with his being ready? Were the Seahawks waiting for him to grow more? That's a ridiculous sentiment.  And what makes Smith a better prospect? His stats? If Russell Wilson was 6'4'' he would have been drafted in the first round last year.

I disagree. While I wouldn't be inclined to throw him to the wolves on opening day (unless he legitimately wins the job - which is not entirely far fetched), but I think that barring a playoff season from Sanchez or Garrard, Smith will need to get into the starting lineup for the second half of the season. You only get part of the picture from what a player does in practice. They need to see what he does in games. He'll struggle, for sure, and seeing how he responds to that is also very critical. Mark Sanchez is mentally weak, and that's the knock on Geno, too. The Jets need to see him face real adversity this year.

OTOH, they could determine that he's not a potential franchise QB without ever getting him on the field. But even if they feel that way, I'd say they should get him out on the field for at least a couple games just to confirm their doubts.

I agree with this. Bradway/Tanny have traded away far too many picks to take this approach in recent years. But the Jets will need to know if they need to trade three number 1's for Bridgewater, or if they should be taking a QB in the fourth round next year.

If Smith is ready to play by the second half of the season, the OL is solid, and the season is over so there'd be little or no pressure, then I'd have no problems with his starting and getting some experience.  I agree that this would help the team better see what he is capable of than just practice alone.  I just wouldn't want to risk him to injury if the OL isn't solid.  I just hope they do a better job of coaching and preparing the kid to play and are smart about how they handle him.

This.  That is as important as any other negative about him.  He simply isn't accurate, and that is critical for a WCO QB.  That's why I think he will never develop into a quality starter.

A difference to me is that Seattle had a much better team with better coaching than the Jets.  Another difference is that Wilson was older and more mature.  He had played professional baseball.  He was more ready for the NFL than Smith.  Another difference is that most of the "experts" say that Smith needs to sit for a year.  I don't remember anyone saying that about Wilson.

Mark Sanchez is the man, However! he's definately not the man for our Jets QB situation this season. He's a traffic

accident waiting to be rescued by Geno Smith landing on a guard rail.

Archived