Man of Steel - who's going this weekend?

Pac

Absolutely no disrespect meant. I just did not connect with TDKR. Seriously, IMO, it needed an hour's worth of editing.

As for Snyder, I loved Watchmen (a true classic in the genre) and, except for the gorgeous chicks in the flick, thought Sucker Punch was a joke. Like you, I'll go see Man of Steel.

I read The Watchman and saw the movie.

I think I wanted to like both more than I did.

I remember when reading the GN I was really only interested in the substory of the guy on the raft.

Totally agree. It's the kiss of death for any film. If your story has holes, no number of actors/characters will make it plausible to the audience.

I swear, there were moments watching that flick where I stood up and yelled at the screen in confusion/exasperation/pi$$ed off annoyance. So much of it made no sense.

BTW, Hi, Tom.

Hi, B!

I saw the Friday matinee when it opened and was stunned how underwhelming it was, so much so that I wouldn't tell anyone how sh*tty it was so as not to ruin it for them. It felt like Nolan wrote it just to get it over with, slapping a bunch of disparate scenes together and waiting for it all to end.

I read The Watchman and saw the movie.

I think I wanted to like both more than I did.

I remember when reading the GN I was really only interested in the substory of the guy on the raft.

Nerds hated the movie because Alan Moore commanded that they hate the movie.

Hi, B!

I saw the Friday matinee when it opened and was stunned how underwhelming it was, so much so that I wouldn't tell anyone how sh*tty it was so as not to ruin it for them. It felt like Nolan wrote it just to get it over with, slapping a bunch of disparate scenes together and waiting for it all to end.

where's that creepy guy who threatened you in Joe's guy from the Soprano's thread?

That was a step away from the computer moment for me.

Hi, B!

There ya go.  This should have been the NYT review of the flick.

Something is wrong when you can't wait for the film to end.  Yet, it plods along ceaselessly.  

There ya go. This should have been the NYT review of the flick.

Something is wrong when you can't wait for the film to end. Yet, it plods along ceaselessly.

Nobody in the pitch meeting said, "Soooooo, Bruce Wayne gives up being Batman for eight years because of Maggie Gyllenhall?"?

Yeah but I think he meant it. Hopefully there's no personal info in your profile. Although that guy is probably already camped out in you cellar.

The great thing about the Internet is that it crushes ambition. Nobody's getting off of their couch to come kick my ass. Probably. They're all JiF-types.

I'll be the first to bite.

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie and at the same time it was by no means a great film.

The characters are underdeveloped, the story has very little arc, there are some significant leaps of logic required, and there is this weird religious drop-in that in no way adds to the story, connects to anything else, and just feels like a preachy PSA.  If you're going in expecting anything of true cinematic worth, please try to remember you're at a movie about a man in a tight suit from another planet who flies around fighting for truth, justice, and the American way.

Ultimately, for 2.5 hours, in IMAX 3D, I was totally entertained.  The movie, despite its flaws is undoubtedly fun to watch.  Money and an evening well spent as far as I'm concerned.

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie and at the same time it was by no means a great film.

The characters are underdeveloped, the story has very little arc, there are some significant leaps of logic required, and there is this weird religious drop-in that in no way adds to the story, connects to anything else, and just feels like a preachy PSA.  If you're going in expecting anything of true cinematic worth, please try to remember you're at a movie about a man in a tight suit from another planet who flies around fighting for truth, justice, and the American way.

Ultimately, for 2.5 hours, in IMAX 3D, I was totally entertained.  The movie, despite its flaws is undoubtedly fun to watch.  Money and an evening well spent as far as I'm concerned.

That's how I'll approach it, too.  Thanks for the review.

This sounds like what I'd expect. Entertainment.

If people want to see a film that they can give a high art review on, they should consider ruling out movies based on superheroes that wear their underpants on the outside.

This sounds like what I'd expect. Entertainment.

If people want to see a film that they can give a high art review on, they should consider ruling out movies based on superheroes that wear their underpants on the outside.

I would argue that if it's a well made film with a compelling story, it wouldn't matter what the actors were wearing, including super hero outfits.

Back in the days when women were not allowed to act on stage, men played  the female roles in all the great classics.  Again, story and execution trumps all else.

Back in the days when people acted on stage... people were acting on stage.

It's got absolutely nothing to do with shallow action movies that have certain criteria to meet to achieve box office success, and none of that criteria is "a good story". There's a big difference between a film and a movie. Like I alluded to in my initial post.

You aren't telling anyone, especially me, anything they don't already know or agree with. To the point I made earlier, they don't typically reserve the good story writing for comic book movies. Sure, maybe occasionally one of those movies comes along that has decent writing, but ultimately it's a secondary priority. 

Back in the days when people acted on stage... people were acting on stage.

It's got absolutely nothing to do with shallow action movies that have certain criteria to meet to achieve box office success, and none of that criteria is "a good story". There's a big difference between a film and a movie. Like I alluded to in my initial post.

You aren't telling anyone, especially me, anything they don't already know or agree with. To the point I made earlier, they don't typically reserve the good story writing for comic book movies. Sure, maybe occasionally one of those movies comes along that has decent writing, but ultimately it's a secondary priority.

Okay.

I would argue that if it's a well made film with a compelling story, it wouldn't matter what the actors were wearing, including super hero outfits.

Agree with this.  I actually felt that he film could have been longer.  The problem mostly stemmed from trying to tell too much story in a limited amount of time, thus leaving holes and poor development.  I don't think I'm giving anything away (based on the trailer) to say that the story includes the krypton angle, young clark and family, adult clark and becoming superman, Zod on earth, and the relationship between Superman and Lane.  Any one of those (or two) could be a feature film.  I don't know that I'd want to sit there any longer, but I still found the movie very entertaining but also missed the depth I hoped for.  Again, having said that, while I hoped for more from the writing and character development, it's an entertaining night out even if not tremendously memorable film.

Agree with this.  I actually felt that he film could have been longer.  The problem mostly stemmed from trying to tell too much story in a limited amount of time, thus leaving holes and poor development.  I don't think I'm giving anything away (based on the trailer) to say that the story includes the krypton angle, young clark and family, adult clark and becoming superman, Zod on earth, and the relationship between Superman and Lane.  Any one of those (or two) could be a feature film.  I don't know that I'd want to sit there any longer, but I still found the movie very entertaining but also missed the depth I hoped for.  Again, having said that, while I hoped for more from the writing and character development, it's an entertaining night out even if not tremendously memorable film.

Just looked up the writer. It's David S. Goyer, who wrote the story for The Dark Knight Rises. Hmmmm.

I'd agree with EY for the most part. 

I enjoyed it but didn't like it as much as I'd hoped.  I probably had unrealistic expectations given I'd read every article or tidbit I could find since Christopher Nolans involvement was announced a couple years ago.

I didn't expect or want the campy vibe that filled Bryan Singers Superman but this was a pretty joyless movie.  It came pretty close to taking itself too seriously...  Hopefully now that the foundation has been laid, they can concentrate on making the sequel a little more fan friendly. 

There's a reason Iron Man, Thor, and the Avengers make the money they do.  You can have a serious undertone with funny moments.

One positive was that I was in a theater in Orlando and the scantly clad chicks coming in and out of that place were almost worth the price of admission alone.

Hi, B!

Baby Crusher came home and apologized for wasting my money on it.  LOL

Geez.  That bad?  

My son is almost 15 years-old and had never seen the original.  We watched it the other night and he loved it.  

Both my sons watched th original one and both stared at me with utter confusion when the three boobied lady showed up.  LOL

Both my sons watched th original one and both stared at me with utter confusion when the three boobied lady showed up.  LOL

My son was bemused as well. They did a pretty good job of making those things look real. 

Thanks for the tip on TR 2.  Think we'll skip it as a family movie.  I'll just keep this shot of Kate as my memory.

5gb1.jpg

Archived