Thoughts From The Airport Part Two

JetNation

I just spent a week waiting in lines at Disney World, which gave me a lot of time to think about the Jets.  As I sit in the airport waiting to fly back home, I am going to share those thoughts with you.  I know what you are thinking, I did this last year and I could not have been further off base.  The past is behind us and it is a new season, for the Jets and my predictions.  That said, I do admit that my predictions last season were terrible.

Here are some thoughts for this season:

• Rex Ryan is fighting for his job this season and to quote a line from Rocky Balboa he “has to go out the way he has to go out”.  That means blitzing, blitzing and more blitzing.  The Jets were boring last year.  I am really not sure what theory to believe behind the departure of Mike Pettine.  Regardless, Rex is in charge and he will be calling the plays like his job depends on it; because it does.  That means they will be aggressive, like they were during Rex’s first two seasons.  The Jets defense will rank in the top 3 in the NFL when the season is over.
  • Is it Braylon Edwards time yet?  Seriously when will the Jets admit that their wide receiver woes are real?
  • Mark Sanchez is going to beat out Geno Smith and start the season as the starting QB of the NY Jets.  I know, most of you don’t want that to happen but the Jets have invested so much in Mark, it actually makes sense to see what he can do under Marty Morhinweg.  If things don’t go well it should be a real short glimpse but Mark will win the job in camp.
  • Signing Kellen Winslow Jr. is a move that will pay dividends for the Jets this season.  Winslow will have more yards receiving this year than Dustin Keller averages for his career.  What does that mean?  It means that Winslow will have at least 576 yards receiving.
  • There is too much fuss about Quinton Coples being moved to linebacker.  When the games count Coples won’t be runing down the field chasing a tight end.  He will be doing what he does best; chasing the QB.
  • From the shameless plug department: You should join us for our JetNation Road Trip to Baltimore (Jets Ravens game).
  • Saving the best for last, drum roll please, The New York Jets will make the playoffs this season.

Many Jets fans will disagree with these predictions but I assure you these will all happen.  If you want to let me know exactly how right I am feel free to stop by our New York Jets message board.

Some 2012 "Thoughts from the Airport," for your perusal:

--I had the pleasure of discussing the Jets with Jason McIntrye of Big Lead Sports.com this week. He asked me what I thought about the Jets this season and I told him they will be improved. The biggest reason for that improvement is going to be Rex Ryan 2.0.

--I wish I could take credit for that line, I first heard it on our New York Jets message board (thanks JIF).

--Anyhow, this is a new Rex Ryan we are looking at here and I don’t mean in the slimmed down physical sense.

--Sure there are many roster improvements and a new coaching staff, but I am talking about Rex maturing as a head coach.

Think about this Jets fans, Rex Ryan’s big failure of a season had the team at 8 and 8. He has raised the bar and he is completely sincere when he says the goal is to win a Super Bowl.

--Has Rex been perfect? No, but he is learning from his mistakes. Enter Rex Ryan 2.0 and watch out NFL.

--I believe in this offensive line, specifically Wayne Hunter. Was he bad last year? Absolutely. Let’s write off last year off and give him a clean slate. He has had a full offseason this year and he enters the season with a renewed offensive commitment to having the Jets return to their ground and pound roots. Wayne Hunter played very well for the Jets when he filled in for Damien Woody late in 2010, he can get back to that level.

One more deep breath please, okay,

--I am also not writing off Vladimir Ducasse yet. You want him cut, I know you do. The jury has been deliberating for awhile but I implore you to hold off on returning your verdict. I wish I could take credit for this one, but I read the other day that Vlad might have been the player that was impacted by the lockout the most. He was drafted as a project and spent time at Tackle, Guard and blocking Tight End. He needed the offseason program and didn’t get that because of the lockout. Will he ever reach his potential? Time will tell, I just ask that you hold off on writing him off. (Thanks to Slats from the JN forum for the lockout thoughts on VLad).

QuickPoll: Most shameful tidbit from Max's 2012 predictions?

A: Wayne Hunter will be good.

B: Vlad will be good.

C: Rex has changed

D: Citing JiF

I put the 2012 linkto out there so i should get credit for honesty.

I am on the mark this year.

QuickPoll: Most shameful tidbit from Max's 2012 predictions?

A: Wayne Hunter will be good.

B: Vlad will be good.

C: Rex has changed

D: Citing JiF

Vlad Ducasse couldn't block a grandmother in a bobcat scooter.

Waiting in lines at Disney World AND thinking about the Jets simultaneously?

I would have opted for water boarding.

Waiting in line in 95 degree heat Is the only way I know that makes thinking of the Jets seem not painful.

Shouldn't a head coach ALWAYS be fighting or his job?

Does this mean Rex had been sitting back the last couple of seasons? Makes some sense.

No.  Bill Belichick could go 0 and 16 this year and his job would not be on the line.

• Mark Sanchez is going to beat out Geno Smith and start the season as the starting QB of the NY Jets.  I know, most of you don’t want that to happen but the Jets have invested so much in Mark, it actually makes sense to see what he can do under Marty Morhinweg.  If things don’t go well it should be a real short glimpse but Mark will win the job in camp

Nothing absolutely NOTHING makes sense about starting Sanchez again. Nothing. He has PROVEN he is terrible.and never deserves another shot. EVER

No.  Bill Belichick could go 0 and 16 this year and his job would not be on the line.

Exception, not the norm. Dierking is right, in general, a coach should always be fighting for his job, as it's a metaphor for trying his damned-est to win.

Exception, not the norm. Dierking is right, in general, a coach should always be fighting for his job, as it's a metaphor for trying his damned-est to win.

I actually don't agree with that.  Yes a coach should always try to do everything to win.  But to have a coach fighting for his job can be counter productive.  Let's say Rex picks Mark this year to go 9 wins only to save his job, that would be bad.  Sometimes you need that long term perspective.

And Dierking is never right, lol.

I actually don't agree with that.  Yes a coach should always try to do everything to win.  But to have a coach fighting for his job can be counter productive.  Let's say Rex picks Mark this year to go 9 wins only to save his job, that would be bad.  Sometimes you need that long term perspective.

And Dierking is never right, lol.

The minute a new coach is hired, the process of building the case for when and why to fire them begins. Because expectations ARE that high and that is the nature of the NFL. No matter what anyone says to the contrary. So every coach, in some way, is fighting for their job. It doesn't necessarily mean every coach is "on the hot seat", but you'd be wrong if you insisted that coaches aren't constantly under the microscope. They all are, even Belli.

Nothing absolutely NOTHING makes sense about starting Sanchez again. Nothing. He has PROVEN he is terrible.and never deserves another shot. EVER

Last year should've been his last chance, and if he didn't have that ridiculous contract extension, it would've been. But it wouldn't've been much of a fair last chance. Sporano running the show? Holmes and Keller hurt? Jeremy Kerley as his #1 receiver? There might be a couple QBs who could do something with that toxic soup, but not many.

And while most of us would prefer to never see Sanchez under center for the Jets again (me, included), we should also not want to see history repeat itself. Throwing Geno in there before he's ready, into a new offense, with a rebuilt OL, and still no receivers... It's a disaster waiting to happen. I don't think Geno has the mental toughness to get thru a rookie year like that. Let Sanchez take an $8M beating for half the year, let the OL gel a little bit, let the rest of the team settle into the new offense, then throw Geno in there to see what he can do against the weaker second half of the schedule.

Sorry to say, it does make sense.

The minute a new coach is hired, the process of building the case for when and why to fire them begins. Because expectations ARE that high and that is the nature of the NFL. No matter what anyone says to the contrary. So every coach, in some way, is fighting for their job. It doesn't necessarily mean every coach is "on the hot seat", but you'd be wrong if you insisted that coaches aren't constantly under the microscope. They all are, even Belli.

Semantics.

In Rex's third year, coming off of two AFC Championship appearances, his focus could be much different than it is this year, coming off of two non-winning seasons. Of course he's supposed to be doing his very best, and working his ass off, in either scenario, but his approach is going to be very different. He wasn't on the hot seat a couple years ago, and was instead trying to expand his repertoire. Getting more involved in the offense, etc.

This year he is on the hot seat, and so he's focused on what he knows he does best. The defense is going to be very good this year. If the offense can cut down on turnovers, it might even be great. Rex is going to let the first professional offensive coordinator he's ever had run the offense, and he's going to run the defense. He'll interject on the offensive side the way Andy Reid might've interjected into Jim Johnson's defense, but mostly he's going to stay on his side of the ball and focus on what he knows.

And really, whether he lasts another year here or not, it's the smart approach.

And really, whether he lasts another year here or not, it's the smart approach.

The smart approach would have been to start over with the entire staff, rather than having a lame duck approach, which for some reason ($$$$$?) they chose to do. THAT would have been the smart approach. 

Then we wouldn't be quibbling about what is in the best interest of the team-long or short term approach.

Archived