Jets Sign RB Chad Spann

JetNation

The Jets place CB Aaron Berry on injured reserve after he got hurt in practice yesterday and have signed RB Chad Spann.

Here is a picture of Chad at practice today.

Chad Spann

Small-5'8", 202lbs.  Cut by two teams in 2011, one in 2012.

Chad Spann (born August 4, 1988) is an American football running back who is currently a free agent. He was signed by the Indianapolis Colts as an undrafted free agent in 2011, and signed by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on October 17, 2011. He was released by the Pittsburgh Steelers on May 2, 2012. He played college football at Northern Illinois University.

In 2010, as a college senior, he rushed for 1,388 yards and led the nation with 22 touchdowns,[1] and contributed to the Huskies first 11 win season.

Early years

Spann attended North Central High School in Indianapolis, where he was a first team all-state selection his senior season. He holds the school single-season and career rushing yardage and touchdown records.[2]

College career

As a college player, Spann established a new single-season touchdown record for Northern Illinois.[3] Spann received the Vern Smith Leadership Award given by the Mid-American Conference.[4]

College highlights

• 2010 Vern Smith Leadership Award Winner
  • 2010 MAC Offensive Player of the Year
  • 2x 1st Team All MAC
  • Back to Back 1000 yd seasons[5]
  • Led nation in rushing TDs (2010)
  • Second on NIU's all-time list for career rushing touchdowns
  • Walter Camp Foundation National Player of the Week (9/25)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chad_Spann

post-8744-0-75316200-1374951518_thumb.jp

The second club that cut him gave him an injury settlement.  Pittsburgh had him for a bit, but he might have gotten caught up in a numbers game there.

He seems to be something like Goodson.  Are the Jets worried about Goodson, or getting ready to cut him loose if his legal situation doesn't go right?

Jets Attended RB Chad Spann’s Pro Day March 22nd, 2011 2:00 pm

spann_thumb.jpg?w=719&h=468

While the Jets were the ones who gave Danny Woodhead his shot, it’s now the Patriots who are reaping the benefits of his skillset.  We know, we know … boo freaking hoo.  While Woodhead wasn’t the best fit in a run-first, not-so spread offense, the Jets saw the potential in Woodhead and kept him around (on and off) for over three years because of what they saw. 

With that in mind, could the Jets seriously consider another mighty mite like Northern Illinois University’s RB Chad Spann?

The former NIU running back wowed scouts with his 40-yard dash time at NIU’s pro day.

The 16 scouts in attendance at the DeKalb Recreation Center timed Spann with their own stopwatches. Times ranged from 4.47 to 4.52 seconds. No matter what time any individual scout took from that range, Spann’s agent Ken McNeill was pleased.

"Everyone knew that Chad was a great player, the only thing they were unsure of was how athletic he was," McNeill said. "At his pro day, he clearly showed that he’s athletic enough to play in the NFL."

In the immediate aftermath of the pro day, representatives from different teams each told Spann the same thing.

"Teams told me that I was on their board of draftable players," Spann said. "Though anything can happen now, because a lot of things can happen between now and draft day. And anything can happen on draft day."

[…]

Spann has already conducted private workouts with the Chicago Bears and his hometown Indianapolis Colts. Other teams that have contacted Spann include the Cleveland Browns, Baltimore Ravens and New York Jets.

Spann is small (5-8, 201) and was snubbed by the Combine but is an interesting player nevertheless.  Playing in the MAC, as well as taking on some tougher Big Ten teams has helped him sharpen his teeth.  GM AJ Smith of the Chargers was on hand for his workout. Smith, of course drafted Michael Turner (whom played at NIU) as well as drafted Darren Sproles, so might know a thing or two about finding small RBs from small school programs.

http://thejetsblog.com/main-page/jets-attended-rb-chad-spanns-pro-day/

Yes and no.  Figuring that your average running back is about 6'2" and 220 lbs. 5'8" and 201 is lighter and smaller.

There are good RB's who were about that size, though, so it might not be that big of a handicap.

6'2" is very tall for a RB. I'd be surprised if that is the average.  Also doubt that the average RB is 220 lbs.  

My guess is avg RB is somewhere in the 5'11" to 6'0" tall range and 210-215 lbs.  

Still bigger than this kid either way, though.

Jets Attended RB Chad Spann’s Pro Day March 22nd, 2011 2:00 pm

spann_thumb.jpg?w=719&h=468

While the Jets were the ones who gave Danny Woodhead his shot, it’s now the Patriots who are reaping the benefits of his skillset.  We know, we know … boo freaking hoo.  While Woodhead wasn’t the best fit in a run-first, not-so spread offense, the Jets saw the potential in Woodhead and kept him around (on and off) for over three years because of what they saw. 

Pretty sure Danny Woodhead is in San Diego. 

6'2" is very tall for a RB. I'd be surprised if that is the average.  Also doubt that the average RB is 220 lbs.  

My guess is avg RB is somewhere in the 5'11" to 6'0" tall range and 210-215 lbs.  

Still bigger than this kid either way, though.

You're right, I overestimated.

I just looked up last season's 6 top rushers:  Adrian Peterson, Albert Morris, Marshawn Lynch, Jamaal Charles, Doug Martin and Arian Foster.  Averaged together, they're 5'11" and 216 lbs.

I was off on the height, close on the weight.

Archived