Chaz Schilens Hates Mark Sanchez

T0mShane

He had 206 yards in that "breakout" half-season with Carson Palmer in 2011.  He had one 89 yard game and one 58 yard game-and the rest was little dribs and drabs.  The fact that you're trying to make this into some sort of career highlight says everything you need to know about just how much of a scrub this guy has been for his 5 year career.

You can make the argument that he's played on bad teams with bad quarterbacks, but you should also consider that he was unable to distinguish himself to any degree on those bad teams.  And up until he said something bad about Sanchez, I don't think I've seen a single post here lamenting the loss of Chaz Schilens after last season.

In this guy's career to date, playing for the Jets with Sanchez was a lucky break.  The numbers prove it. 

When people use words in quotation marks, as you did in response to me, it usually means you're quoting someone.  I never said it was a "breakout" season.  That is your term for it so don't put it on me.

But it was a better half-season than he had with the Jets despite the privilege of being the intended-target of off-target passes from Mark Sanchez.

And f*ck Schillens.  He sucks.  A guy that tall and that fast who's played football his whole life and he's still a nobody? I'm sure everything he says is accurate, but generally it's not received well when the complainer sucks at his job with or without his probably-valid complaints.

.But it was a better half-season than he had with the Jets despite the privilege of being the intended-target of off-target passes from Mark Sanchez.

But in 2011, Schilens played a full season, and his numbers weren't as good as they were with Sanchez in 2012.  The second half of the 2011 season Carson Palmer came in, and Schilens did a little better than he did in the first half.  So you decided to ignore completely Schilens' stats from the first half of the season,  then presented Schilens' second half stats after Palmer took over which still were not as good as the numbers he put up with Sanchez, but if doubled, (because Palmer only played the second half of the season), would constitute a better season than he had with Sanchez in 2012.

Do they give an Olympic medal for statistical gymnastics?

And f*ck Schillens.  He sucks.  A guy that tall and that fast who's played football his whole life and he's still a nobody? I'm sure everything he says is accurate, but generally it's not received well when the complainer sucks at his job with or without his probably-valid complaints.

True.  My real beef is that one of the reasons Sanchez had such a dreadful year is that Holmes went down and the only people there to replace him were people like Schilens.  Sanchez threw better when he had people better than Schilens to throw to.  And very possibly Geno wins the job this year and Sanchez passes into history as a failed QB, but Schilens was part of the problem.

If I were Schilens, I would concentrate on making plays for my new QB so that I become a valuable part of the team who gets thrown to more often.  What he should have told the interviewer was something like, "No sense looking at the past, I'm here to contribute to the Detroit Lions" or some such.  Schilens' past can't stand too much scrutiny.

When people use words in quotation marks, as you did in response to me, it usually means you're quoting someone.  I never said it was a "breakout" season.  That is your term for it so don't put it on me.

Besides denoting quotes, those punctuation marks also denote sarcasm.  The board has had a rush of people lately who don't quite get sarcasm, so I broke out the quotation marks just to make sure.

Nevertheless I will abide by your directive and only use those marks for direct quotes from now on.

But in 2011, Schilens played a full season, and his numbers weren't as good as they were with Sanchez in 2012.  The second half of the 2011 season Carson Palmer came in, and Schilens did a little better than he did in the first half.  So you decided to ignore completely Schilens' stats from the first half of the season,  then presented Schilens' second half stats after Palmer took over which still were not as good as the numbers he put up with Sanchez, but if doubled, (because Palmer only played the second half of the season), would constitute a better season than he had with Sanchez in 2012.

True.  My real beef is that one of the reasons Sanchez had such a dreadful year is that Holmes went down and the only people there to replace him were people like Schilens.  Sanchez threw better when he had people better than Schilens to throw to.  And very possibly Geno wins the job this year and Sanchez passes into history as a failed QB, but Schilens was part of the problem.

If I were Schilens, I would concentrate on making plays for my new QB so that I become a valuable part of the team who gets thrown to more often.  What he should have told the interviewer was something like, "No sense looking at the past, I'm here to contribute to the Detroit Lions" or some such.  Schilens' past can't stand too much scrutiny.

You do realize it is these ridiculously endless list of excuses for one of the league's very worst QBs which is exactly why Schilens said what he did to begin with?  Does Schilens suck?  You bet your ass he does, but that doesn't make him responsible for the complete abysmal failure of others.  It also doesn't change the fact that Sanchez is absolutely horrendously awful at what he does, completely independent of anyone else on the roster.  Sanchez is a joke and that is absolutely no one's fault but Sanchez's, and trying to blame his failures on anyone else is just plain sad and frankly, as bad as Schilens sucks, he has every right to not want to put up with that crap.  Keep in mind, he didn't even come close to blaming any of his own shortcomings on Sanchez, he simply took issue with the idea that Sanchez should get to blame his constant failures on anyone/everyone else.

Don't hold it in, BG, just let it out against Sanchez, lol.

Did Sanchez throw better in years 1,2 and 3 of his tenure than he did in year 4?  The answer is yes.  You can make the argument that he still wasn't particularly good those years either, but he was far better than he was in year 4.

Was Schilens' lack of ability to step up and present a target a good part-not necessarily the largest part, but a good part-of that decline?  Also yes.

Which means that I'm not terribly interested in what Chaz Schilens has to say about the passing debacle of 2012.  Like I said, he's had low production, albeit on bad teams with bad QBs, for his whole 5 year career.  He would be well advised to do his best to become a valuable contributor to the latest team to give him a chance.  If he can do that, I say more power to the man.  Until then, don't let the conversation go toward his opinions of others in his past.

He had far better numbers with Palmer than before Palmer.  This should not come as a shock, particularly since all of the games he started were after Palmer got there.  

If you want to compare starting numbers with Sanchez to backup numbers with Campbell & Boller you can do so, but it isn't going to hold any weight.  And news flash, Palmer wasn't all that anyway (and started for them like 6 days after Oakland acquired him).

Besides denoting quotes, those punctuation marks also denote sarcasm.  The board has had a rush of people lately who don't quite get sarcasm, so I broke out the quotation marks just to make sure.

Nevertheless I will abide by your directive and only use those marks for direct quotes from now on.

Glad we got that out of the way, my little chickadee.    :gfight:

But it was a better half-season than he had with the Jets despite the privilege of being the intended-target of off-target passes from Mark Sanchez.

That may be true in your experience, but not in mine, either in reading books/articles or in spending much of the last 15 years on various discussion lists/blogs/Jets sites.  They are used to denote sarcasm or a statement that is somewhat controversial or debatable.

That may be true in your experience, but not in mine, either in reading books/articles or in spending much of the last 15 years on various discussion lists/blogs/Jets sites.  They are used to denote sarcasm or a statement that is somewhat controversial or debatable.

He was using them when quoting me, not in a statement on its own.  I therefore interpret as him quoting, or at a minimum using that word to paraphrase, what I'd said.  And I said nothing of the sort to what was quoted.

.He had far better numbers with Palmer than before Palmer.  This should not come as a shock, particularly since all of the games he started were after Palmer got there.  

If you want to compare starting numbers with Sanchez to backup numbers with Campbell & Boller you can do so, but it isn't going to hold any weight.       

Backup or not, Schilens played the first 7 games of 2011 for QBs who were not Carson Palmer, and Parson started the last 9 games.

Putting those 9 games together, you still don't get better numbers than Schilens got with Sanchez for the whole of 2012.  You have to ignore the non-Palmer games-nearly half the season!-and extrapolate Palmer's nine games out to 16 games and THEN you have better numbers with Palmer than you have with Sanchez. 

Oy.

He was using them when quoting me, not in a statement on its own.  I therefore interpret as him quoting, or at a minimum using that word to paraphrase, what I'd said.  And I said nothing of the sort to what was quoted.

Ah, ok.  Didn't realize that.  Carry on.

Okay, you want to play around with half seasons, partial seasons and what have you?  Consider this.

Take the 9 games Palmer started.  Schilens' totals were:

16 rcpt, 206yds, 1 TD

Now let's take an 8 game streak under Sanchez-games 4 thru 11.  The totals for that 8 game streak-I'll let Palmer have the extra game-are:

19rcpt, 202yds, 2 TD

Schilens did better with Sanchez over the span of 8 games than he did with Palmer over 9 games.  Sanchez gave Schilens the second best year of an extremely spotty 5 year career to date.  What Schilens is complaining about I don't know.

I'm sure Chaz Schilens cares not a sliver of what any Jet fan thinks of him. If he was never an accomplished football before, he at least has a chance to be one now with a real QB. If he was a Jet he would be back to the slim chance that an unproven rookie could help his marginal skill set should the chance occur. I applaud him for telling the truth.

Backup or not, Schilens played the first 7 games of 2011 for QBs who were not Carson Palmer, and Parson started the last 9 games.

Putting those 9 games together, you still don't get better numbers than Schilens got with Sanchez for the whole of 2012.  You have to ignore the non-Palmer games-nearly half the season!-and extrapolate Palmer's nine games out to 16 games and THEN you have better numbers with Palmer than you have with Sanchez. 

Oy.

Schilens was better in his games with Palmer than in his games with Sanchez.

Sanchez sucks.

Why do people want to see him still QBing for this team? Is it because he's effeminately cute? It isn't because of his QB skills.

Okay, you want to play around with half seasons, partial seasons and what have you?  Consider this.

Take the 9 games Palmer started.  Schilens' totals were:

16 rcpt, 206yds, 1 TD

Now let's take an 8 game streak under Sanchez-games 4 thru 11.  The totals for that 8 game streak-I'll let Palmer have the extra game-are:

19rcpt, 202yds, 2 TD

Schilens did better with Sanchez over the span of 8 games than he did with Palmer over 9 games.  Sanchez gave Schilens the second best year of an extremely spotty 5 year career to date.  What Schilens is complaining about I don't know.

One problem, none of this does anything to support the theory that Sanchez being a horrendously awful NFL QB is somehow magically not his fault.

It's funny, I don't remember anyone excusing the constant failures of those loser QBs out in Oakland because the lowly Chaz Schilens was one of their WRs, taking away all of their immense talent from them by his mere presence.  They sucked all on their own, just like Sanchez does.  The difference is, Sanchez is one of the only people in the league who actually has people desperate enough to make constant excuses for every single repeated failure of his entire career, while also being enough of a spineless coward to not man up and take ownership of his failures but instead sometimes even agreeing with the excuses made for him.  I really don't care how much Schilens sucks, it still doesn't make it his fault when a QB can't hit the broad side of a freakin' barn.

If you needed to be a super star to have an intelligent and valid opinion on football, there wouldn't be coaches.

Only superstar coach in recent memory would be Mike Singletary?  But yea, that's generally the type of mentality that makes talking to "artists" unbearable.  Apparently if you didn't go to art school you're considered an ignorant mouth-breather if you don't like or care for their "art." I'm sorry, but someone spelling out My **** Is Wet And Angry in live-nude-neon writing is not a genius, and I will call it sh*t.  

Schilens was better in his games with Palmer than in his games with Sanchez.

Sanchez sucks.

Why do people want to see him still QBing for this team? Is it because he's effeminately cute? It isn't because of his QB skills.

Sorry, you must have missed post #46.  Schilens did better with Sanchez in a string of 8 games than he did with Palmer in 9.

Take the 9 games Palmer started in 2011.  Schilens' totals were:

16 rcpt, 206yds, 1 TD

19rcpt, 202yds, 2 TD

Anyway you extrapolate or cut it into pieces and try to put it back together,  Schilens did better with Sanchez in 2012 than he did with Palmer in 2011.  His second best year came with Sanchez, I don't see what he's complaining about.

One problem, none of this does anything to support the theory that Sanchez being a horrendously awful NFL QB is somehow magically not his fault.

Say what you will about Sanchez, the fact remains that he threw much, much better when he was throwing to a healthy Holmes and Braylon in his second year than he did throwing to the likes of Mardy Gilyard and Schilens in his fourth.

In 2012 we saw an example of offense dissolution, not Sanchez devolution.

Say what you will about Sanchez, the fact remains that he threw much, much better when he was throwing to a healthy Holmes and Braylon in his second year than he did throwing to the likes of Mardy Gilyard and Schilens in his fourth.

In 2012 we saw an example of offense dissolution, not Sanchez devolution.

Dude the guy cannot throw a football straight.  You cannot tell me you don't see any difference in the COMPLETED passes thrown by Sanchez and others unless you literally watch Sanchez and no one else (or don't pay attention to where his passes land on TV).

He is flat-out inaccurate and it doesn't matter who his receivers are.  Bad QBs are bad QBs.

He is a bottom-5 QB and the whole planet can see this.  The only things he's had going for him previously are Kellen Clemens, Kevin O'Connell, Mark Brunell, Tim Tebow, Greg McElroy, and Mike Tannenbaum.  Presently the only thing he has going for him is a multi-year edge in experience in this type of offense over Geno Smith (who may not even be good himself).

You're telling me you really don't notice other QBs - other GOOD QBs - hitting their guys in the numbers or leading them off their body by one foot routinely, and don't notice Sanchez's passes all over the place (even when they're technically good enough to be completed)?

Schilens has played with him and pretty much says he sucks (as well as some unflattering words for the coaches coddling him like an infant).  This is a guy who played with some QBs worse than Sanchez so he should know a sh*tty QB when he sees one.  

Dude the guy cannot throw a football straight.  You cannot tell me you don't see any difference in the COMPLETED passes thrown by Sanchez and others unless you literally watch Sanchez and no one else (or don't pay attention to where his passes land on TV).

He is flat-out inaccurate and it doesn't matter who his receivers are.  Bad QBs are bad QBs.

He is a bottom-5 QB and the whole planet can see this.  The only things he's had going for him previously are Kellen Clemens, Kevin O'Connell, Mark Brunell, Tim Tebow, Greg McElroy, and Mike Tannenbaum.  Presently the only thing he has going for him is a multi-year edge in experience in this type of offense over Geno Smith (who may not even be good himself).

You're telling me you really don't notice other QBs - other GOOD QBs - hitting their guys in the numbers or leading them off their body by one foot routinely, and don't notice Sanchez's passes all over the place (even when they're technically good enough to be completed)?

Schilens has played with him and pretty much says he sucks (as well as some unflattering words for the coaches coddling him like an infant).  This is a guy who played with some QBs worse than Sanchez so he should know a sh*tty QB when he sees one.  

Seriously.  I honestly can't think of any other QB who, even when supposedly playing "well" and completing passes, is constantly throwing behind his WRs, ultimately making them far more difficult catches and destroying the opportunities for YAC.  At least not any QBs who weren't already out of the league, or at the bare minimum permanently implanted on the bench, by this point in their careers.

Seriously.  I honestly can't think of any other QB who, even when supposedly playing "well" and completing passes, is constantly throwing behind his WRs, ultimately making them far more difficult catches and destroying the opportunities for YAC.  At least not any QBs who weren't already out of the league, or at the bare minimum permanently implanted on the bench, by this point in their careers.

Seriously so many throws in the last couple of years where the receiver was hung out to dry to get creamed- i would sue for non support

Archived