Tweets From Last dAy of Camp

flgreen

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL

If it's Smith it doesn't mean anything, just that he is getting a chance with the starters in a game.  If it's Sanchez again, it's over

Yeah, that's pretty ridiculous.

Truth be told, if it's Sanchez starting week 2 (for any reason other than Smith being injured) then at that point they really should stop the competition so Sanchez gets more work in with the 1's.  Seems wrong in a sense because Geno's acceleration/learning curve is going to be greater than Sanchez's -- you're not going to see improvement in QBing from week 2 to week 3 from Sanchez but you might see it with Smith.  Not to mention, if he is this raw and needs more time, he's only getting half the time he'd be getting with the 1's if there was no competition.

Still, there's no shame in admitting the guy isn't ready to start week 1 as a rookie, and it's no indication of future success either.  Few start from week 1 (despite the claim of someone that it's the reason guys aren't drafted in the first round) and I'll bet most of those that do end up sucking anyway.  

Never really thought about it until now, but Joe Flacco is the only QB drafted in recent memory to start week 1 as a rookie and lead his team to a SB.  Peyton Manning before him, started week 1 as a rookie 15 years earlier, and before him was I guess Aikman in 1989.  Happens less than once per decade.

Rex: Geno Smith’s “brutal” day could be ankle-related

Posted by Darin Gantt on August 14, 2013, 1:39 PM EDT

Geno SmithAP

Round Two in the Jets quarterback competition could go to Mark Sanchez by default.

Rookie Geno Smith has had a shaky week after spraining his ankle, and Jets coach Rex Ryan said there was a chance Smith might not play against the Jaguars this week.

“Well, I guess, we’ll see how it goes,” Ryan said, via Seth Walder of the New York Daily News. “He’s been out their practicing, working through things, . . . but that could be a possibility.”

Smith had just completed a bad practice, throwing four interceptions, raising the question of how much is related to the ankle. He shrugged off that suggestion, but Ryan admitted it could be a factor.

“It was brutal. It was Geno’s worst day. I think, and obviously, the ankle’s part of it, but, . . .way too many picks and things. Did not look comfortable today,” Ryan said. “Obviously he has to come back from it, he will come back from it. It was a bad day. Everybody, we’ve seen it, guys have bad days. But this was a really bad day for Geno. . . .

“I don’t think he’s at 100%. I don’t believe he’s close to 100% right now, but again, that doesn’t mean we have a few more days, that it can’t get a lot better. We’ve seen these type of injuries get better in a hurry, so we’ll see how it goes.”

Of course, his ankle could magically feel better if Sanchez throws another pick-six on his first attempt against the Jaguars.

LOL

If it's Smith it doesn't mean anything, just that he is getting a chance with the starters in a game.  If it's Sanchez again, it's over

I was about to post the same thing, then I saw this:

headshot_Manish_Mehta_normal.jpg

Manish Mehta @MMehtaNYDN

RT @SethWalderNYDN: Rex doesn't rule out possibility Geno doesn't play Saturday because of his ankle. #nyj

5m

Beat Writer / Columnist

If Geno sits because of the ankle, then things are still up in the air. It would also be a major set-back. The third game is traditionally the tune-up game, can't see Geno starting that one after Sanchez starts the first two.

Of course, I've pretty much thought Sanchez would be the opening day starter all along. I could see them sitting Sanchez in the fourth game, and sending Geno out there for some extended action behind the starting OL - then hand him the clip board, and tell him to be ready when called upon.

Few start from week 1 (despite the claim of someone that it's the reason guys aren't drafted in the first round) 

go read my reply please. 8 out of the last 9 QBs taken in rd 1 started week 1. The days of Carson Palmer going 1 and getting time to learn are long gone. 

headshot_Manish_Mehta_normal.jpg

Manish Mehta @MMehtaNYDN

Rex says Geno Smith's ankle is "not close" to 100%. So why has he been practicing on it since Sun? Makes no sense. Big mistake by Jets #nyj

4m

Beat Writer / Columnist

Geno wears a red jersey in practice. The other team probably wouldn't adhere to the red jersey rule come Saturday night. The team wants Geno to get work, Geno wants to get work, what's the issue, Manish? Big mistake by Jets - feeling obligated to use all 140 characters?

Yeah, that's pretty ridiculous.

Truth be told, if it's Sanchez starting week 2 (for any reason other than Smith being injured) then at that point they really should stop the competition so Sanchez gets more work in with the 1's.  Seems wrong in a sense because Geno's acceleration/learning curve is going to be greater than Sanchez's -- you're not going to see improvement in QBing from week 2 to week 3 from Sanchez but you might see it with Smith.  Not to mention, if he is this raw and needs more time, he's only getting half the time he'd be getting with the 1's if there was no competition.

Still, there's no shame in admitting the guy isn't ready to start week 1 as a rookie, and it's no indication of future success either.  Few start from week 1 (despite the claim of someone that it's the reason guys aren't drafted in the first round) and I'll bet most of those that do end up sucking anyway.  

Never really thought about it until now, but Joe Flacco is the only QB drafted in recent memory to start week 1 as a rookie and lead his team to a SB.  Peyton Manning before him, started week 1 as a rookie 15 years earlier, and before him was I guess Aikman in 1989.  Happens less than once per decade.

Big Ben started what, 13 games as a Rookie and won all of them, it doesn't fit the criteria of all 16, but it's pretty darn close. I wouldn't be surprised if one of Matt Ryan, Luck, Wilson or RG III goes on and does the same, but your point remains, Geno not starting the season opener has zero bearing on his future success. 

If this were the '09 or '10 Jets, I'd say we could start Geno, but if he's not ready, this team with is dearth of talent everywhere but the dline, is not conducive for him to develop just yet.

Rex Ryan says Geno Smith missing Jaguars game is 'a possibility'

BY Seth Walder

CORTLAND -- Geno’s Smith ankle injury abbreviated his first preseason performance and it may cancel his second. Rex Ryan was asked Wednesday if Smith could miss the team’s game against the Jaguars on Saturday because of the ankle, and Ryan indicated that was an option.

“Well, I guess, we’ll see how it goes,” the coach said. “He’s been out their practicing, working through things... but that could be a possibility.” 

Ryan was speaking after a very tough practice for the rookie quarterback, who threw four interceptions -- three in 11-on-11 drills to the third team defense and one in 7-on-7 drills.

“It was brutal. It was Geno’s worst day. I think, and obviously, the ankle’s part of it, but...way too many picks and things. Did not look comfortable today,” Ryan said. “Obviously he has to come back from it, he will come back from it. It was a bad day.

Everybody, we’ve seen it, guys have bad days. But this was a really bad day for Geno.”

Smith said his ankle wasn’t bothering him, but Ryan shrugged that off as simply bravado.

“I don’t think he’s at 100%. I don’t believe he’s close to 100% right now, but again, that doesn’t mean we have a few more days, that it can’t get a lot better,” said Ryan. “We’ve seen these type of injuries get better in a hurry, so we’ll see how it goes.”

Twitter.com/SethWalderNYDN

go read my reply please. 8 out of the last 9 QBs taken in rd 1 started week 1. The days of Carson Palmer going 1 and getting time to learn are long gone. 

That's true, but how many of those teams had a former top 10 pick still on an un-cuttable contract on the roster?  If Sanchez were not on the team, Geno would be starting, since he's not, we have the "luxury" of letting him sit and learn.  

Rex Ryan says Geno Smith missing Jaguars game is 'a possibility'

BY Seth Walder

CORTLAND -- Geno’s Smith ankle injury abbreviated his first preseason performance and it may cancel his second. Rex Ryan was asked Wednesday if Smith could miss the team’s game against the Jaguars on Saturday because of the ankle, and Ryan indicated that was an option.

“Well, I guess, we’ll see how it goes,” the coach said. “He’s been out their practicing, working through things... but that could be a possibility.” 

Ryan was speaking after a very tough practice for the rookie quarterback, who threw four interceptions -- three in 11-on-11 drills to the third team defense and one in 7-on-7 drills.

“It was brutal. It was Geno’s worst day. I think, and obviously, the ankle’s part of it, but...way too many picks and things. Did not look comfortable today,” Ryan said. “Obviously he has to come back from it, he will come back from it. It was a bad day.

Everybody, we’ve seen it, guys have bad days. But this was a really bad day for Geno.”

Smith said his ankle wasn’t bothering him, but Ryan shrugged that off as simply bravado.

“I don’t think he’s at 100%. I don’t believe he’s close to 100% right now, but again, that doesn’t mean we have a few more days, that it can’t get a lot better,” said Ryan. “We’ve seen these type of injuries get better in a hurry, so we’ll see how it goes.”

Twitter.com/SethWalderNYDN

You just get the sense that Rex loves Mark and wants him to win, you can tell it in the way he responds to things.  When Sanchez throws a pick 6 and almost another in an actual game, it's something like "He can't have those throws, not acceptable, but I loved how he recovered and really came back. Can't have those plays," and with Geno having a bad practice it's "the kid looked awful, absolutely brutal, really a bad bad day..."  

I know he's certainly complimented Geno man times, but it just seems he always brushes off sanchez's mistakes so quickly and you'd never hear him get on him like that.  Either he just is too blinded by his devotion to do it or knows mark's too mentally weak to hear that. I don't even care anymore, I just want to watch our team be consistently good.

You just get the sense that Rex loves Mark and wants him to win, you can tell it in the way he responds to things.  When Sanchez throws a pick 6 and almost another in an actual game, it's something like "He can't have those throws, not acceptable, but I loved how he recovered and really came back. Can't have those plays," and with Geno having a bad practice it's "the kid looked awful, absolutely brutal, really a bad bad day..."  

I know he's certainly complimented Geno man times, but it just seems he always brushes off sanchez's mistakes so quickly and you'd never hear him get on him like that.  Either he just is too blinded by his devotion to do it or knows mark's too mentally weak to hear that. I don't even care anymore, I just want to watch our team be consistently good.

Rex is a players coach.  If your name isn't Kerry Rhodes he is going to defend you.  For the most part Rex blamed Smith's horrific day on a bad ankle.  Even though all the scribes were saying since yesterday that he wasn't favoring it, and that it wasn't as heavily taped.

Rex's job depends on how well the QB plays, he has protected Sanchez in the past, but Rex will play the QB who gives him the best chance to retain his job.

Once we are out of contension, Idzk will make the call "Geno Smith in", they need enough tape on him to know if they have a Q.B or not, and if they are Drafting a Q.B next year or not.

This is probably true.  if Sanchez doesn't play well enough to keep the Jets in contention, it will be Smith time.   As long as they have a chance, it's Sanchez's job to lose.  That is barring a total melt down in the last 3 preseason games

That's true, but how many of those teams had a former top 10 pick still on an un-cuttable contract on the roster?  If Sanchez were not on the team, Geno would be starting, since he's not, we have the "luxury" of letting him sit and learn.  

if Garrard didn't wash out, he'd be starting. 

Pulling for the kid big-time, but have to admit that is a really strange thing to say.

No matter how he thinks it's going, how could his answer to that question ever be anything other than "Of course I want to start."

Rex overcompensating for four years of telling everyone they're going to the HOF.

The Jets are in full blown, damned if you, damned if you dont territory.  Villains for running their mouths in the years past, hated for not saying enough this offseason.  lol

4 picks is a lot of picks for a practice. 

The Jets are in full blown, damned if you, damned if you dont territory.  Villains for running their mouths in the years past, hated for not saying enough this offseason.  lol

Sure is.  Even if the ankle is bothering Smith, still a collapse.  If it had happened Sunday, would be more understanding.   Funny thing is the scribes have been saying the last two days that Smith was moving much better. 

Guess we'll see Saturday

True, but when you're running red-zone drills and your guys are half-assing it, it's still far from throwing a pick 6 and almost a second in an actual game.  I'm not making excuses, because that is a terrible day, but you didn't hear Rex laud Smith when he was 7-10 with 4tds the other day or hear Rex lay into Sanchez for f*cking up royally in an game. I love Rex as much as you, but I've never once heard Rex say anything that negative against Mark..ever. Even after games he's throwing multiple picks into triple and quadruple coverage. 

Sure is.  Even if the ankle is bothering Smith, still a collapse.  If it had happened Sunday, would be more understanding.   Funny thing is the scribes have been saying the last two days that Smith was moving much better. 

Guess we'll see Saturday

The ankle was looking great, til today.  lol

True, but when you're running red-zone drills and your guys are half-assing it, it's still far from throwing a pick 6 and almost a second in an actual game.  I'm not making excuses, because that is a terrible day, but you didn't hear Rex laud Smith when he was 7-10 with 4tds the other day or hear Rex lay into Sanchez for f*cking up royally in an game. I love Rex as much as you, but I've never once heard Rex say anything that negative against Mark..ever. Even after games he's throwing multiple picks into triple and quadruple coverage. 

I posted this in another thread, but he certainly has.  He's called his performance awful before.  He's said that we need better QB play to win.  He's said, you cant win the way Mark played today.  He gave reps to Brunnell.  When we played the Pats and got smoked, he said something along the lines of, thats the difference between having a HOF QB subtly comparing him to Sanchez. 

The ankle was looking great, til today.  lol

I posted this in another thread, but he certainly has.  He's called his performance awful before.  He's said that we need better QB play to win.  He's said, you cant win the way Mark played today.  He gave reps to Brunnell.  When we played the Pats and got smoked, he said something along the lines of, thats the difference between having a HOF QB subtly comparing him to Sanchez. 

If he did, I certainly don't recall it. The only thing that I can remember is him berating his defense and then mentioning turnovers in general were poor and you can't win with that, but never actually saying Mark was terrible today or Mark had an awful game.  Maybe he did, but it must have been so few and far between that it got lost in the wash.

In his 4th NFL Season as a starting QB Marky Mark threw 4 picks in a game and was less than 50% completion in the majority of his starts.   Tell me one reason you think Sanchez will dramatically improve this season?       

Everything these reporters say with regards to a player is just dripping in sarcasm or snark and yet they wonder why those players would ever want to kick their ass.  I understand the era of the internet has made everyone insanely more sardonic, but is it impossible to just get straight factual news without any fluff, bias or sarcasm?  Sweet jesus.

thats boring. Anyone can just tweet the facts they differentiate themselves with their non factual comments

Big Ben started what, 13 games as a Rookie and won all of them, it doesn't fit the criteria of all 16, but it's pretty darn close. I wouldn't be surprised if one of Matt Ryan, Luck, Wilson or RG III goes on and does the same, but your point remains, Geno not starting the season opener has zero bearing on his future success. 

If this were the '09 or '10 Jets, I'd say we could start Geno, but if he's not ready, this team with is dearth of talent everywhere but the dline, is not conducive for him to develop just yet.

Ben lost the starting job to Tommy Maddox (the very inspiration for drafting a QB that high).  He was therefore not a day one starter.  There are probably a hundred examples of 1st round QBs who weren't day 1 starters, so using that as THE reason he slipped out of round 1 is silliness.  

He dropped out of round 1 because he showed some flaws in his last bunch of games, and showed some immaturity at the combine and during the draft.  During the draft I doubt even really played into it much, though.  If a team liked him so much as their QB of the future that they were going to use their first round pick on him, I don't think their minds would change in a couple of hours from watching him sitting, visibly upset/uncomfortable, with cameras on him.  ("Yeah we've spent countless hours analyzing and overanalyzing game film on the kid, met with him, saw him work out, and came to the conclusion that he's our new franchise QB.  But wait -- look how he's sitting in that chair, looking sad that he dropped out of the top 10 and is therefore losing millions of dollars as we speak.  That overshadows every other thing we know about him so we'll take a guard instead."  Yeah, right).  

But if someone was really on the fence I suppose his demeanor during the draft could be a tie-breaker in choosing someone else.  But I don't see that as the reason 20 teams passed up on him.  For starters, 20 teams didn't need a QB.

I don't know what league you're watching, but it isn't the NFL, and you are wrong.  Again.

2011:

#1 overall Newton started week 1 (elite prospect, and who else did they have anyway?)

#12 overall Ponder did not start week 1

#10 overall Gabbert did not start week 1

#8 overall Locker did not start week 1

2013:  

#16 EJ Manuel is hardly guaranteed to start week 1 (his was clearly a Buffalo-sees-great-upside pick, not a "guaranteed week 1 starter" pick)

2012:

was different because they're different situations, not because of a trend.

Luck was a unique prospect, as everyone knows

So was RGIII (who Washington burned 3 #1 picks to get).  They were both definitely starting week 1.  

Tannehill was losing badly to David Garrard and wouldn't have started if Garrard didn't injure his knee in mid-August. 

Weeden was 29 and started because he was more mature (he ought to have been at age 29) and because his competition was Colt McCoy.  And he was a reach.  And it's Cleveland.  And he threw 4 picks in that week 1 and wasn't ready.

A broken clock is right twice a day.  You should strive to become a broken clock.

Archived