Rex and Morny on Boomer & Carton

Lizard King

Did anyone listen? I caught the end of Rex and half of Marty. Rex was his usual noncommittal self and I thought Marty, although clearly a bright guy was even better about being diplomatic. For instance Carton pressed Marty twice about trusting Sanchez esp after not using the clock properly with no timeouts and little time at the end of the half in the redzone, followed by that pick, and Martys response twice was that communication and trust are key. Very elaborate and skillful dodge of a direct question. He also seemed more optimistix about thr talent than we are generally hearing.

I hate how non-critical Rex & his coaches are with Sanchez.  So he'll rip everyone else for a bad play that yields a first down.  The subject of Sanchez gets questions dodged and a coach saying how he still has confidence in the guy (not just referring to this interview). 

Two games, one with a pick 6 and the other with a pick instead of a TD at the goal line.  Each game he's thrown a pass that has had an impact of at least -7 for the Jets.  At least, because the pick-6 also erased any points the Jets might have otherwise scored on the drive with a different QB.  I discount that he only erased a sure FG against Jacksonville because Gates was WIDE open for TDs twice (just on that series alone), and instead Sanchez ran with it and threw it to a tightly-covered Hill.

They were both far more critical of Geno Smith after a practice.  Yeah he threw 4 picks, but weren't 2 of them tipped up into the air off his receivers' hands? As bad as they all said he was - and I'm sure they were accurate assessments - we've seen worse from Sanchez in live games and Rex instead blames his defense for having the gall to give up 10 points or so.

I hate how non-critical Rex & his coaches are with Sanchez.  So he'll rip everyone else for a bad play that yields a first down.  The subject of Sanchez gets questions dodged and a coach saying how he still has confidence in the guy (not just referring to this interview). 

Two games, one with a pick 6 and the other with a pick instead of a TD at the goal line.  Each game he's thrown a pass that has had an impact of at least -7 for the Jets.  At least, because the pick-6 also erased any points the Jets might have otherwise scored on the drive with a different QB.  I discount that he only erased a sure FG against Jacksonville because Gates was WIDE open for TDs twice (just on that series alone), and instead Sanchez ran with it and threw it to a tightly-covered Hill.

They were both far more critical of Geno Smith after a practice.  Yeah he threw 4 picks, but weren't 2 of them tipped up into the air off his receivers' hands? As bad as they all said he was - and I'm sure they were accurate assessments - we've seen worse from Sanchez in live games and Rex instead blames his defense for having the gall to give up 10 points or so.

Seriously?  His crack about Geno being brutal was pretty much standard practice.  He says sh*t like that about Sanchez constantly.  Sure he occasionally remembers to get press savvy enough to cover it with a "we have to get better, we will get better  Mark knows that" speech, but that is exactly what he did with Geno.  

Seriously?  His crack about Geno being brutal was pretty much standard practice.  He says sh*t like that about Sanchez constantly.  Sure he occasionally remembers to get press savvy enough to cover it with a "we have to get better, we will get better  Mark knows that" speech, but that is exactly what he did with Geno.

Then you're seeing stuff that I'm not. I'm hazy on recalling just one of, let alone both the HC and OC each, calling Sanchez "brutal" after a practice.

I'm more used to seeing candy-coated stuff like "Yeah, Mark had kinduva a rough day today, but [balances mild criticism with compliment about how much faith he has in Sanchez]."

Then you're seeing stuff that I'm not. I'm hazy on recalling just one of, let alone both the HC and OC each, calling Sanchez "brutal" after a practice.

I'm more used to seeing candy-coated stuff like "Yeah, Mark had kinduva a rough day today, but [balances mild criticism with compliment about how much faith he has in Sanchez]."

Exactly.

I don't know what people expect the head coach and OC to say about (a player who's almost certainly) their starting QB on an appearance designed to promote the upcoming Jets' season. Oh, yeah, we all agree, Sanchez sucks. Come out and see us!

Sanchez' days as the starter are numbered. His time left on the team is short. They're trying to paint not-too-bleak a picture, but it's bleak. Everyone knows Sanchez sucks, and that the team wants to replace him. They whiffed on Garrard, and their only other option is a second rounder who hurt his ankle and fell further behind in the QB competition as a result. Because, make no mistake, he was behind before he got hurt.

But Geno is the (near) future at QB, and Rex gets criticized for calling him brutal (when he was) because -why?- he didn't call Sanchez brutal often enough? So he's maybe changing up his treatment of the QB, but that's not good, either. Because the same fans all pissed off about Sanchez being handed the job when he didn't deserve it now want the same head coach to hand the job to Geno before he deserves it. That'll be better, somehow. Right?

Maybe Rex learned something about developing a QB by not developing Sanchez. So now he's being a little tougher on Geno, and making him earn the job. Wow, what a concept! It's too late for Sanchez -and he's on the way out, anyway- so not getting all over him right before he starts the regular season really doesn't matter much one way or the other. People get hung up on words, but it's only a short matter of the before Rex speaks with the action of benching him for the last time before he's cut from the team.

I don't know what people expect the head coach and OC to say about (a player who's almost certainly) their starting QB on an appearance designed to promote the upcoming Jets' season. Oh, yeah, we all agree, Sanchez sucks. Come out and see us!

Sanchez' days as the starter are numbered. His time left on the team is short. They're trying to paint not-too-bleak a picture, but it's bleak. Everyone knows Sanchez sucks, and that the team wants to replace him. They whiffed on Garrard, and their only other option is a second rounder who hurt his ankle and fell further behind in the QB competition as a result. Because, make no mistake, he was behind before he got hurt.

But Geno is the (near) future at QB, and Rex gets criticized for calling him brutal (when he was) because -why?- he didn't call Sanchez brutal often enough? So he's maybe changing up his treatment of the QB, but that's not good, either. Because the same fans all pissed off about Sanchez being handed the job when he didn't deserve it now want the same head coach to hand the job to Geno before he deserves it. That'll be better, somehow. Right?

Maybe Rex learned something about developing a QB by not developing Sanchez. So now he's being a little tougher on Geno, and making him earn the job. Wow, what a concept! It's too late for Sanchez -and he's on the way out, anyway- so not getting all over him right before he starts the regular season really doesn't matter much one way or the other. People get hung up on words, but it's only a short matter of the before Rex speaks with the action of benching him for the last time before he's cut from the team.

I tend to agree. Sanchez's days are numbered barring a Drew Brees season numbers-wise, and it's not happening.

They're working with Smith and easing him in. Sanchez will be gone by the start of next season.

Well put.

I think that Rex IS getting it that you can't coddle and have "pets" as he has managed in the past. He DID call out Milliner, also.

That said, I don't think a leopard changes its spots so quickly, and Rex still does not have accountability as a hallmark of his style, and that will be one of the things that costs him his job this year.

It's easier to complain about the coaches than to face the sad fact that Mark is actually the best QB on the roster right now. 

OH geez... listening to Marty M now, and he dropped the "2 afc championship games" line. Ugh.

Did you catch the snickering in the background? Wasn't sure if it was Carton, Boomer or both. I think he delivered that line though to give props to Rex's coaching ability because he quickly followed up with "We are rebuilding"

Archived