Tomlinson: Rex once said "I'm gonna punch [Belichick] in the face"

Jetsfan80

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no problem with LT telling the story nor do I have a problem with Rex saying that.  It's entertaining if nothing else.

yeah seriously guys Im pretty sure Rex said that tongue in cheek as a joke to lighten things up and I'm also pretty sure that's the context in which LT told the story. Just relax lol .... I'm not the biggest Rex fan in the room nor an I a fan ofthe way LT has handled himself but gezz guys

yeah seriously guys Im pretty sure Rex said that tongue in cheek as a joke to lighten things up and I'm also pretty sure that's the context in which LT told the story. Just relax lol .... I'm not the biggest Rex fan in the room nor an I a fan ofthe way LT has handled himself but gezz guys

Coaches are going to use all types of "gimmicks", etc. in motivating a team, I have no problem with that. I remember college stories of some coaching bringing in a steer, I believe. before the Texas game and having it castrated. Something along those lines. Hey if it works for you, and no one got hurt, have at it.

What Tomlinson doesn't mention, what game it was and what were the results? Maybe the Patriot playoff game in '10?

Great coaches are able to capture the emotions of their teams, channel that and keep it at sustained a peak for a run at the right time. 

Rex has shown the ability to do it in bursts-See aforementioned Pat playoff game in '10. But, the team then followed that game up with what looked like an emotionally spent performance against the Steelers in an even bigger game. 

By all appearances , The Patriots was there SB game, and they had nothing left.

A great coach does not allow that.

Coaches are going to use all types of "gimmicks", etc. in motivating a team, I have no problem with that. I remember college stories of some coaching bringing in a steer, I believe. before the Texas game and having it castrated. Something along those lines. Hey if it works for you, and no one got hurt, have at it.

What Tomlinson doesn't mention, what game it was and what were the results? Maybe the Patriot playoff game in '10?

Great coaches are able to capture the emotions of their teams, channel that and keep it at sustained a peak for a run at the right time. 

Rex has shown the ability to do it in bursts-See aforementioned Pat playoff game in '10. But, the team then followed that game up with what looked like an emotionally spent performance against the Steelers in an even bigger game. 

By all appearances , The Patriots was there SB game, and they had nothing left.

A great coach does not allow that.

So I guess Bill Belichick is not a great coach to you. 

Every single season since 2004 has ended in disappointment for the Pats, oftentimes because they didn't bring their "A" game. They've come out flat (2008 vs. the Ravens,) they've blown big leads (2005 vs. the Colts,) they've underacheived (2007 in the Super Bowl.)

So by your definition, since BB's teams don't play their absolute best all the time and have actually had a handful of instances where they didn't quite appear to give it their all, BB is not a great coach. 

And neither is anyone else who has ever coached in the NFL with maybe the exception of Paul Brown.

So I guess Bill Belichick is not a great coach to you. 

Every single season since 2004 has ended in disappointment for the Pats, oftentimes because they didn't bring their "A" game. They've come out flat (2008 vs. the Ravens,) they've blown big leads (2005 vs. the Colts,) they've underacheived (2007 in the Super Bowl.)

So by your definition, since BB's teams don't play their absolute best all the time and have actually had a handful of instances where they didn't quite appear to give it their all, BB is not a great coach. 

And neither is anyone else who has ever coached in the NFL with maybe the exception of Paul Brown.

Great coaches have history and have accomplished the ultimate. Bill Bellichick has shown the ability to have the sustained run. He has taken a team through the 3-4 game stretches and won the Super Bowl(s).

Not every year is going to have that sustained run, otherwise the same coaches and teams would be winning every year. 

Look at Rex's resume and he runs through schitzophrenic highs and lows. BB's resume, longer, does not have those stretches. Rex did a great, great job in '09 in the playoff run (some teams laid down for them, but that is the way it goes). But after '09, you look at what Rex has done in late season games since (aside from a tremendous, tremendous win against the Pats there-and I will not discredit that), Rex has been less than ordinary late season-when it counts.

In December and January the last 3 years, he is 8-10 (including that great Pat win).

The Jets were the better team than the Steelers that year, and should have won that game. looked emotionally, and physically unready to play that game. Players admitted as such. That falls on the head coach.

Hey, it happens sometimes, but, if you don't also have a team go all the way, you are an also ran. That is what Rex appears to be.

Great coaches have history and have accomplished the ultimate. Bill Bellichick has shown the ability to have the sustained run. He has taken a team through the 3-4 game stretches and won the Super Bowl(s).

Not every year is going to have that sustained run, otherwise the same coaches and teams would be winning every year. 

Look at Rex's resume and he runs through schitzophrenic highs and lows. BB's resume, longer, does not have those stretches. Rex did a great, great job in '09 in the playoff run (some teams laid down for them, but that is the way it goes). But after '09, you look at what Rex has done in late season games since (aside from a tremendous, tremendous win against the Pats there-and I will not discredit that), Rex has been less than ordinary late season-when it counts.

In December and January the last 3 years, he is 8-10 (including that great Pat win).

The Jets were the better team than the Steelers that year, and should have won that game. looked emotionally, and physically unready to play that game. Players admitted as such. That falls on the head coach.

Hey, it happens sometimes, but, if you don't also have a team go all the way, you are an also ran. That is what Rex appears to be.

Bill Belichick was 31-33 in his first four years as a head coach. Rex was 34-30. That's what you can fairly compare. 

If you then add BB's next two years as a head coach, which include his last year in Cleveland and first in New England, he was 41-55.

Belichick couldn't, to use your words, "show the ability to have the sustained run" until he tripped over a franchise QB. 

In his one playoff season in Cleveland, Belichick won one home playoff game to a Bill Parcells coached Patriots team before going into Pittsburgh and getting crushed 29-9 to a pre-Super Bowl appearing Bill Cowher Steelers team. 

In his two playoff seasons with the Jets, Ryan won two road playoff games with Mark Sanchez as his QB before losing the AFC Championship Game on the road to a Peyton Manning-led Colts and Ben Rothliesberger-led Steelers, both of whom had won SBs already. 

Now, I'm not saying that Rex will eventually top what BB has cheated to accomplish. What I am saying is that if you compare Ryan to what Belichick has accomplished at the same point in his head coaching career, he compares rather favorably. 

I don't believe that, Opinion, of course.

And, should we expect great coaches to beat teams perceived as better as them?

I would have no problem losing to a better team, if the effort was there. The effort wasn;'t there.

I really don't think it was a matter of effort.  We were not as good as people like to remember.  We had the worst QB in the playoffs, and that year, we scored under 10 points 4 times.

We beat Pittsburgh in a meaningless game where some of their top players sat.  They came back and took it too us when it mattered.

We may have been living off adrenaline as fans and as a team, but we were not the best team in the league that year, not with Mark Sanchez.

not sure this actually matters. I have the distinct gut feeling that 2010 was our year and we blew it. like the Mets in 2006.

I suppose your "distinct gut feeling" counts for something............ despite having scored 0 against the Packers in our first meeting.

Bill Belichick was 31-33 in his first four years as a head coach. Rex was 34-30. That's what you can fairly compare. 

If you then add BB's next two years as a head coach, which include his last year in Cleveland and first in New England, he was 41-55.

Belichick couldn't, to use your words, "show the ability to have the sustained run" until he tripped over a franchise QB. 

In his one playoff season in Cleveland, Belichick won one home playoff game to a Bill Parcells coached Patriots team before going into Pittsburgh and getting crushed 29-9 to a pre-Super Bowl appearing Bill Cowher Steelers team. 

In his two playoff seasons with the Jets, Ryan won two road playoff games with Mark Sanchez as his QB before losing the AFC Championship Game on the road to a Peyton Manning-led Colts and Ben Rothliesberger-led Steelers, both of whom had won SBs already. 

Now, I'm not saying that Rex will eventually top what BB has cheated to accomplish. What I am saying is that if you compare Ryan to what Belichick has accomplished at the same point in his head coaching career, he compares rather favorably. 

Too bad Rex will never have the chance at the longevity that BB had. Any reasonable fan, given the option of selecting BB or RR as the coach of their franchise would jump at BB.

Again, any reasonable fan.

I really don't think it was a matter of effort.  We were not as good as people like to remember.  We had the worst QB in the playoffs, and that year, we scored under 10 points 4 times.

We beat Pittsburgh in a meaningless game where some of their top players sat.  They came back and took it too us when it mattered.

We may have been living off adrenaline as fans and as a team, but we were not the best team in the league that year, not with Mark Sanchez.

Great coaches win those kind of games. Just sayin'

Does Brady come with BB? Because if he doesn't, I'm taking Rex. 

Who cares?  I'd take BB.  Unfortunately, he's employed by the Patriots, and not an option to coach our team.  So, maybe we should focus on that.  Otherwise, can I have Zombie Lombardi?

Archived