Buffalo Bills Players To Watch

JetNation

C.J. SpillerThe Jets will take on the Buffalo Bills on Sunday and here is the full game preview.  When you are watching the game, here are some Buffalo Bills to keep your eyes on.

Players To Watch:

1)      CJ Spiller, running back: Spiller is the guy the Jets must shut down to have a chance to win. Spiller is the home run hitter on Buffalo and excels when given the ball in space. Given what we’ve seen from the Jets offense this year, a few home runs could make it tough to come back from. The Jets front seven as a whole has been excellent to start the year, and they’ll have another tough task ahead of them.

2)      Kiko Alonso, linebacker: The rookie Alonso has had a stellar start to his career, recording ten tackles, an interception, and a sack week one and nine tackles with a forced fumble week two. It’s not without help however, as defensive tackles Kyle Williams and Marcell Dareus make it tough for interior lineman to get to the second level and put a body on him. Getting a body on him will be key to opening up more rushing lanes.

3)      Justin Rogers, cornerback: Leodis McKelvin is the big name corner for Buffalo right now, but Rogers will be stepping in as the starter opposite him due to numerous injuries. Rogers was burnt by Ted Ginn Jr. last week and the Jets would be wise to attack Rogers early and often.

How awesome was it last year when Super Duper Mario was crying after the game last year because Wayne Hunter basically kept him quiet the entire game :biggrin:

It was Austin Howard, making his first NFL start, not Wayne Hunter.  That's what was so great about it.  A UDFA, playing in his first real game, shut down their $100 million pass rusher.

It was Austin Howard, making his first NFL start, not Wayne Hunter. That's what was so great about it. A UDFA, playing in his first real game, shut down their $100 million pass rusher.

I will take your word for it. I always thought it was Hunter. Anyway, I met Howard the other day at my office, along with Colon, and Woody, and I can tell you that Austin Howard is the biggest dude I have ever seen in my life. I think Wilkerson may be bigger but that just speaks to how massive Wilkerson may be. Howard is so tall and big and not fat.

I will take your word for it. I always thought it was Hunter. Anyway, I met Howard the other day at my office, along with Colon, and Woody, and I can tell you that Austin Howard is the biggest dude I have ever seen in my life. I think Wilkerson may be bigger but that just speaks to how massive Wilkerson may be. Howard is so tall and big and not fat.

He looks huge on TV. I can't imagine how big he looks in person.

a little worried about spiller. hes the type of back we typically struggle against.  we shut down their run game i think we can hold them to 10 points or fewer.  THeir d is tough tho

no worries.  Cromartie said they plan on tackling him this year.

a little worried about spiller. hes the type of back we typically struggle against.  we shut down their run game i think we can hold them to 10 points or fewer.  THeir d is tough tho

Spiller and Martin are kind of similar players IMO.  Spiller more explosive.  The Jets should be fine.  Stevie Johnson is who worries me.  He gives Rex fits. 

Wayne Hunter wasnt on the team last year.  It was Howard who shut down Mario.  And when he played in Houston, Brick would shut him down regularly.  Mario is the most hot and cold player in the league.  He's way overrated IMO.  He's either playing like his hair is on fire or he literally goes unnoticed. 

Spiller and Martin are kind of similar players IMO.  Spiller more explosive.  The Jets should be fine.  Stevie Johnson is who worries me.  He gives Rex fits. 

Wayne Hunter wasnt on the team last year.  It was Howard who shut down Mario.  And when he played in Houston, Brick would shut him down regularly.  Mario is the most hot and cold player in the league.  He's way overrated IMO.  He's either playing like his hair is on fire or he literally goes unnoticed. 

Yea we handled Martin nicely, but Spiller had success against us last year racking up 150 + yards.  Hes that quick explosive type of back similiar to Shady Mccoy that tend to give rex's  d fits.  You are right about Stevie Johnson, Cros got his work cut out. 

Yea we handled Martin nicely, but Spiller had success against us last year racking up 150 + yards.  Hes that quick explosive type of back similiar to Shady Mccoy that tend to give rex's  d fits.  You are right about Stevie Johnson, Cros got his work cut out. 

The Jets couldnt stop the run to save their life last year, based on what I've seen thus far, that's not going to be the case this season.  I guess we'll see this year but they've faced 2 of the top run games from 2012 already and shut sh*t down with relative ease.

Cro is claiming he's back to 100%.  Watching him the last few games, I kept thinking he didnt look like the Cro we came to love last year.  He looked hobbled.  Hopefully that's the case.  Johnson isnt physical, he's shifty, which Cro typically matches up with better than the VJax types. 

I think the D is a little faster now than it has been and speed was what had been killing them.  Spiller had two huge plays last year.  The long run in week 1 and the long reception in week 17, but I think week 1 last year was the only time he's had a good day rushing against the Jets and they were up by 3 scores before he even had his big run.  They had to be trying to slow the passing game with that lead.  Spiller is always scary, but they have the ability to shut him down..  

It was definitely Howard, Hunter was already off the team by then.  The Jets had sent him to St. Louis in a swap for Jason Smith.

Stevie Johnson had solid games against Revis. I bet he eats Cro's lunch this week.

Agree with you both about Johnson, but the only reason I think the Jets might be ok is that part of it is the possibility for a different approach.  With Revis around, Rex was too stubborn to do anything but stick him on the other team's #1 WR.  While I know this seems like ancient history now, remember that it took Revis getting hurt for Rex to finally admit that the Jets were better off having Cro on Moss than Revis (who he could then put onto Welker instead).  With Revis not around, I think Rex could be more willing to double up Johnson or throw some bracket coverage his way to help keep him from completely tearing the Jets up.  I suppose we'll see.

I think the D is a little faster now than it has been and speed was what had been killing them.  Spiller had two huge plays last year.  The long run in week 1 and the long reception in week 17, but I think week 1 last year was the only time he's had a good day rushing against the Jets and they were up by 3 scores before he even had his big run.  They had to be trying to slow the passing game with that lead.  Spiller is always scary, but they have the ability to shut him down..  

The run D overall also looks leaps and bounds better than last year, both on inside and outside runs.  The speed, as you said, is also a big factor; having a guy like Davis (who has looked fantastic and is ridiculously fast for a LB) on the field instead of Scott can be absolutely huge against a guy like Spiller.

The run D overall also looks leaps and bounds better than last year, both on inside and outside runs.  The speed, as you said, is also a big factor; having a guy like Davis (who has looked fantastic and is ridiculously fast for a LB) on the field instead of Scott can be absolutely huge against a guy like Spiller.

Yup, our defense is worlds different and better, mostly because of Pettine and the addition of some new guys in Lawon, Alonso, and Hughes.

It still hurts not having our best DBs out there, in Gilmore and Byrd. With those two, this defense would be fantastic. It'll be nice to get them back soon.

Regarding defenses and pressure, this is a great read...

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/09/19/nfl-sacks-pressures/

Archived