Manish Mehta, mining JetNation for invalid comparisons

Bugg

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mehta-geno-man-mind-gang-1-qb-article-1.1478090

Geno SMith = every good QB in the last decade because they also had some rough early games. Therefore he is The Man.Highly logical.

NY Jets' Geno Smith has the makeup to be franchise quarterback

Smith may be struggling in rookie season, but here's a list of others that have struggled as rookies: Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Joe Flacco and Matt Ryan.

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Sunday, October 6, 2013, 10:45 PM.

NYC PAPERS OUT. Social media use restricted to low res file max 184 x 128 pixels and 72 dpi

Robert Sabo/New York Daily News

Geno Smith and Jets will have to open things up Monday night unless Gang Green defense can keep Falcons in check.

ATLANTA — The verdict is still out on Geno Smith’s prospects of becoming a franchise quarterback, but his character and mental makeup should no longer be questioned.

He can handle the pressure.

General manager John Idzik and the rest of the Jets’ brain trust made the right call to ignore the pre-draft whispers surrounding everything from Smith’s work ethic to leadership when evaluating him.

Smith is strong-minded enough to take some of the early-season venom directed at him after a rocky start. His four-turnover performance in last week’s loss to the Titans emboldened the same critics who foolishly overdramatized his draft-day body language at Radio City Music Hall. The notion that the Jets should bench Smith four games into his career is equal parts ludicrous and comical.

“I was watching something like, ‘Should Geno take a seat?’” veteran offensive lineman Willie Colon told the Daily News. “I’m like, ‘Are you serious?’ The kid had a rough day. It’s sports. It’s going to happen. He didn’t lose the Super Bowl. He didn’t lose the AFC Championship. We all got our butts kicked by the Tennessee Titans … That’s how we take it. I believe in him. I know he’s going to do a good job Monday night (against the Falcons).”

Smith has taken accountability and ownership of miscues. He’s not an excuse-maker.

“I like to believe that those tough stretches that I’ve had have helped me grow,” Smith told The News. “You got to go through some of that in order to learn from those experiences. You can’t just go out there and say I’m going to play great and everything is all peachy and fine. Then once you hit that point where you’re struggling, you don’t know how to react to it.”

RELATED: INSIDE THE PLAYBOOK: JETS (2-2) AT FALCONS (1-3)

“It’s kind of good that it happens early although you don’t want it to happen at all,” Smith added. “At this point in my career, some of that stuff is a necessary evil.”

Smith’s four touchdown passes, eight interceptions (11 turnovers) and 57.4 completion rate through his first four starts are comparable to plenty of other successful quarterbacks who started in their rookie seasons:

Peyton Manning: 3 TDs, 11 INTs (12 turnovers), 55.5 completion rate. Record: 0-4.

Eli Manning: 1 TD, 6 INTs (7 turnovers), 57.4 completion rate. Record: 0-4.

Joe Flacco: 1 TD, 4 INTs (5 turnovers), 58.5 completion rate. Record: 2-2.

Matt Ryan: 2 TD, 2 INTs (2 turnovers), 52.4 completion rate. Record: 2-2.

Translation: Slowly move your finger away from the panic button. It’s ridiculously early to jump ship.

RELATED: JETS 'D' HAS TO GET OFF MATT VS. RYAN'S FALCONS

“He understands that a lot of things he’s done so far he could kick himself for,” Colon said. “Every quarterback is going to go through those types of growing pains. I don’t ever sit back and say, ‘He shouldn’t be making these mistakes.’ He’s a rookie.… When I was a rookie, I was making a lot of mistakes. It’s just bigger for him because he’s ‘the guy.’… He’s in charge of running this offense.”

Smith is fully aware that he must cut down on turnovers to give the Jets a realistic chance against the high-powered Falcons. The mistakes actually have emboldened him.

“My confidence has grown because I’m knowing what I’m seeing,” Smith said. “I’m able to go out there and play comfortably and make checks at the line and see things. It’s impressed the coaches, but at the same time, I’ve got to take care of the ball and do all the little things that comes with time and more reps. That will make me a better quarterback.”

The Jets must make sure that Smith doesn’t lose the aggressive edge that could help him become the team’s long-term answer at the game’s most important position.

Offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg and quarterbacks coach David Lee have underscored the importance of keeping that mind-set without being reckless.

“You don’t want to lose it,” Smith said of his attack mode. “What they’ll tell me is, ‘If you’re going to throw it, throw it… and it better be complete. It better not be an interception. Because then you’re putting us in harm’s way.’”

“It’s more than being a game manager,” Smith said. “We do want to press the ball vertically. We do want to take shots… But we want to take calculated chances.”

He has the right disposition to be the right man for the job.

@MMehtaNYDN

Not even slightly.  

"He didn’t lose the Super Bowl. He didn’t lose the AFC Championship."

Not to mention, I think that's only even driven further home by the follow-up comment of "We all got our butts kicked by the Tennessee Titans."  That's not exactly the sign of any finger-pointing.  I'm sure Sanchez is the furthest thing from most of these guys minds, especially a guy like Colon who has absolutely no history with him.

The one part that jumped out to me was this:

Smith has taken accountability and ownership of miscues. He’s not an excuse-maker.

“I like to believe that those tough stretches that I’ve had have helped me grow,” Smith told The News. “You got to go through some of that in order to learn from those experiences. You can’t just go out there and say I’m going to play great and everything is all peachy and fine. Then once you hit that point where you’re struggling, you don’t know how to react to it.”

Sadly, it's not even an exaggeration to say he's the first Jets QB since Vinny who you can honestly say the bold about.  Granted it would make us all a lot happier if the Jets' QBs didn't so often find themselves playing so awful that they were in need of excuses, but the fact that this team had such a long stretch of guys who refused to take responsibility for their own constant failures made it that much easier to hate them.

Sadly, it's not even an exaggeration to say he's the first Jets QB since Vinny who you can honestly say the bold about.  Granted it would make us all a lot happier if the Jets' QBs didn't so often find themselves playing so awful that they were in need of excuses, but the fact that this team had such a long stretch of guys who refused to take responsibility for their own constant failures made it that much easier to hate them.

hahaa what a crock.

If Geno continues to be reckless with the football then he needs to sit for a bit. Now that doesn't mean he is a lost cause and will never be a franchise QB but Rex and the Jets need to learn from the Sanchez debacle and make it clear that ball security is THE most important part of the game right now.

There are not alot of guys in the "elite" category. Brady, Manning, Brees and Rodgers and to sit after 4 games or even after 16 games and say Geno is not the answer is insane. Eli is doing his best Sanchez impersonation right now as the Giants are well on their way to missing the playoffs for the 4 time in 5 years. Cam Newton who was all the rage in Carolina in 2011 can't do anything right now, Dalton is getting booed in Cincy, Kapernick is up one week down as defenses are starting to get a handle on the read option. Big Ben is 0-4, Rivers after a few tough years looks like he is getting better again. The list goes on and on. 

Geno has done alright as far as I am concerned. He has made some nice plays and he has made some incredibly stupid plays. I can handle Interceptions right now but the fumbles and the bad ball security has got to go.

hahaa what a crock.

You were too clueless to see it when it was right in front of you on a weekly basis, so no reason to expect you to finally get it now.  I'm sure you feel it's taking responsibility for a horrible game to say things along the lines of "I felt I had a great game today and if I had to do it over again I wouldn't change a thing" like your boyfriend always loved to do.  For how awful they both were, few QBs were as consistent in refusing to take the blame for their pathetic failures than Penny and Sanchez.  Geno may suck so far too, but at least he's not too big of a coward to admit it.

why is it invalid to not write off Smith off after four games when guys who went on to be good QBs also had rough career starts? nobody is saying Smith is Peyton Manning, just that it's too soon to know what he is.

why is it invalid to not write off Smith off after four games when guys who went on to be good QBs also had rough career starts? nobody is saying Smith is Peyton Manning, just that it's too soon to know what he is.

It is in fact invalid to only compare Smith to the few QBS who became quality QBs and fail to compare him to the sea of Blaine Gabberts and Kevin Kolbs et al

It is in fact invalid to only compare Smith to the few QBS who became quality QBs and fail to compare him to the sea of Blaine Gabberts and Kevin Kolbs et al

That's a terrible analogy because you don't see people who make that comparison label him as a franchise qb and the qb of the future, you see them making the comparison to make the point that it's to early to tell if he's a bust compared to the people already lambasting him as a bust.

Nobody is actually comparing Geno to any of those players in terms of what he will develop into, that's simply a straw man coming from those who refuse to acknowledge the real point being made.  Rather, the entire point being made is that 4 games does not determine an NFL players entire career.  Nothing more than that and nothing less.

Considering that this point is designed to counter those who are taking the position that, after 4 games, they know absolutely everything that needs to be known about Geno, there would not and should not be any reason to provide examples of players who played poorly to start their NFL careers and then continued to do so after that.  There's not a single person who has even attempted to argue that no such thing exists, and therefore it's a point that all sides agree on, so it's entirely irrelevant to the conversation.  The debate is whether or not Geno will ultimately fall into that category, which history would suggest it seems impossible to determine to any degree of certainty at this point.  It's simply a matter of those who have decided that Geno does fall into that category because they say so versus those who are just currently unsure of that because of numerous examples of players who had rough starters to their careers and greatly improved thereafter.  The odds may not be in Geno's favor, but it's also not the absolute so many of his detractors are painting it as.

Besides, you can't seriously be expecting people who disagree with you to go out of their way to try to come up with arguments to defend your position.  That simply isn't how arguments work.

OK, Blaine Gabbert completed only 47% of his passes for 5.69 YPA with 4 TD and 4 turnovers his first four games. His team went 0-4.

Geno Smith has been significantly better than Gabbert. He may turn the ball over more, but he moves the chains significantly more. I'd have to look at the game stats but its not hard to extrapolate form the numbers for both that the Jets probably got twice as many first downs in Geno's first four starts than the Jags got in Gabbert's. 

Kolb is a terrible comparison since he didn't start a game until his third year and that was in relief of an established star on a pretty good team. 

Archived