Jets sign Ras-I Dowling to practice squad

Greenseed4

The Jets signed former Patriots cornerback Ras-I Dowling to their practice squad Wednesday, one day after trying him out.

Dowling was the first pick of the second round by New England in the 2011 NFL Draft. He started two games as a rookie, then suffered a hip injury that cost him the rest of the season. He played six games for the Patriots last year before again being sidelined with a torn thigh muscle.

The Patriots cut Dowling at the end of training camp this season.

The Jets may be bringing Dowling aboard in case rookie cornerback Dee Milliner’s hamstring injury flares up again. Milliner played Sunday after missing three games, but he appeared to suffer another injury late in the game. Coach Rex Ryan said Milliner did have some injuries, but was not specific the day after the game.

http://nypost.com/2013/10/23/jets-add-ex-pariots-corner-dowling-to-practice-squad/

I disagree with this authors premise that Dee Milliner being hurt is the precursory to this signing.  Dee has been injured for multiple weeks this season already, all while Dowling was sitting on waivers (since the end of training camp).  A week removed from our second outing with New England also suggests that we didn't sign this kid for information either.  Nor is CB depth a particularly glaring weakness of our team--talent wise I'd say this kid is right there with the Lanksters, and Trufants of the team, just behind Dee and Walls. 

This stokes speculation that we may be close to moving a cornerback OFF of our roster...and maybe suggests that Kyle Wilson (PFF's #1 ranked slot corner) may be a part of a "pick(s) and player" package for one Josh Gordon we've heard so much about. 

:D

I disagree with this authors premise that Dee Milliner being hurt is the precursory to this signing.  Dee has been injured for multiple weeks this season already, all while Dowling was sitting on waivers (since the end of training camp).  A week removed from our second outing with New England also suggests that we didn't sign this kid for information either.  Nor is CB depth a particularly glaring weakness of our team--talent wise I'd say this kid is right there with the Lanksters, and Trufants of the team, just behind Dee and Walls. 

This stokes speculation that we may be close to moving a cornerback OFF of our roster...and maybe suggests that Kyle Wilson (PFF's #1 ranked slot corner) may be a part of a "pick(s) and player" package for one Josh Gordon we've heard so much about. 

:biggrin:

I'm pretty sure that the trade deadline past before this move. *EDIT, wrong it is apparently on Oct 29

The guy was a 2nd rounder that dropped because he was hurt his senior year. "Talent" wise he is probably well ahead of Lankster (7th round), Walls (UDFA) and Trufant (UDFA).  I mean maybe Trufant didn't get drafted because he's a fidget.  Maybe they are liking the idea of rotating in bigger CB/S types to man-up on TEs like Gronkowski.  I think they signed him because they liked him. 

I'm pretty sure that the trade deadline past before this move.

The guy was a 2nd rounder that dropped because he was hurt his senior year. "Talent" wise he is probably well ahead of Lankster (7th round), Walls (UDFA) and Trufant (UDFA).  I mean maybe Trufant didn't get drafted because he's a fidget.  Maybe they are liking the idea of rotating in bigger CB/S types to man-up on TEs like Gronkowski.  I think they signed him because they liked him. 

I just looked him up.  He wasn't just a "second rounder", he was the first pick of the second round.  That carries some weight (I guess) in the overall scheme of things; that he was once thought very highly of by at least one professional talent scout.  

I don't know if it was his playing ability, his injury concerns, or the Pats secondary depth that caused them to return to the CB drafting pool, drafting: Alfonzo Dennard and Nate Ebner (2012), and Logan Ryan (2013), while signing additional free agents Aqib Talib and Marquise Cole.  But there certainly is a reason that he was not only cut from the team after being drafted two years ago, but cut from the practice squad as well. 

Rex Ryan has been described as a guy who can coach up DBs from near death.  Whether that's true or not, I don't know.  But I guess it doesn't hurt to have a size/speed guy locked into a PS contract while regaining his health.  I guess it was just an added bonus that his addition to an already fairly loaded secondary (three former first round picks in starting nickle packages) with startable subs in Walls, Ellis and Trufant means that we would have a potential replacement in tow should we be parting with a current CB. 

But there certainly is a reason that he was not only cut from the team after being drafted two years ago, but cut from the practice squad as well. 

maybe a reason is injury. like so many of Idzik's pickups it's from the discard pile. "If healthy"

Gotta give the Jets credit, I liked that the pats signed marques cole and hes the one getting juked by Geno last weekend. Entertainment! 

maybe a reason is injury. like so many of Idzik's pickups it's from the discard pile. "If healthy"

Gotta give the Jets credit, I liked that the pats signed marques cole and hes the one getting juked by Geno last weekend. Entertainment! 

He must've missed the memo: The "Atlantic Health training facility" is not a place of rehabilitation, It's where NFL players go to develop their cycling skills. 

I'm pretty sure that the trade deadline past before this move.

Was thinking the same thing. I remember him coming out and thinking he'd make an awesome transition to free safety as his positives were always size, instincts, ball skills, run support and zone coverage and his weaknesses were being high in his back pedal and inability to play man-press at the next level.  At 6'1 200 lbs and a 4.4 40, he certainly has the size and athleticism to play FS and the fact that he was a great downhill run stopper makes me wonder why the Pats chose to convert McCourty, who's done so seamlessly, and not give this kid a chance. 

Allen did a pretty solid job on Gronk as he has the speed and somewhat size to stay with him, but after seeing what Talib was able to do to Jimmy Graham the other week, I wouldn't be surprised if they would like to get someone with better speed and coverage ability on him like a Dowling.  You need guys who have both speed and size as we all saw what Gonzo did to Trufant who was basically draped all over him. I like the move...assuming he can stay healthy.

Was thinking the same thing. I remember him coming out and thinking he'd make an awesome transition to free safety as his positives were always size, instincts, ball skills, run support and zone coverage and his weaknesses were being high in his back pedal and inability to play man-press at the next level.  At 6'1 200 lbs and a 4.4 40, he certainly has the size and athleticism to play FS and the fact that he was a great downhill run stopper makes me wonder why the Pats chose to convert McCourty, who's done so seamlessly, and not give this kid a chance. 

Allen did a pretty solid job on Gronk as he has the speed and somewhat size to stay with him, but after seeing what Talib was able to do to Jimmy Graham the other week, I wouldn't be surprised if they would like to get someone with better speed and coverage ability on him like a Dowling.  You need guys who have both speed and size as we all saw what Gonzo did to Trufant who was basically draped all over him. I like the move...assuming he can stay healthy.

I can answer one of your questions.  The Pats chose McCourty because this guy didn't play.  9 games in 2 years and he was hurt all camp.  Hard to play safety from the trainer's room. 

I can answer one of your questions.  The Pats chose McCourty because this guy didn't play.  9 games in 2 years and he was hurt all camp.  Hard to play safety from the trainer's room. 

Didn't realize it was that many games.  Makes it a bit more understandable, but still slightly surprising considering how young he is. These are the types of signings I can really get on board with, especially since he's practice squad eligible. 

Didn't realize it was that many games.  Makes it a bit more understandable, but still slightly surprising considering how young he is. These are the types of signings I can really get on board with, especially since he's practice squad eligible. 

Yeah. I'm assuming only recently became healthy enough to play.  Apparently he worked out for the Texans in late September, but that's it.  You'd think he'd be making the rounds, unless he was doing it quietly.

:biggrin:

that sounds good a 3rd and Wilson nice!!!

Archived