marty mornhinweg

itsJETStime

From the "documentary" on ESPN and other accounts of the story, Gibson hated the kneel down,threatened to bench Pisarcik if he changed another play, the playclock was shorter and Cszonka said in the huddle he refused to take the handoff, which caused Pisarcik to pay more attention to the formation and Cszonka than the snap. I think it was more to do with Gibson being a stubborn jackass than any illegal betting, but ya never know.

How about if you BET on the LIONS, in that infamous game and lets say they were a 1 or 2 point favorite, and its going to overtime, and your team (the LIONS) win the toss, and then DEFER.

It must not have affected the wagering (I guess) because if it had, some mob guy in Detroit that lost alot of money would have had a hit put on MARTY.

I never saw the documentary. I will have to watch it the next time it is aired. How long ago did they show it?

I dunno if it was a documentary just on the fumble, but it was one of those pieces they do on old infamous plays where they interviewed Herm and a handful of guys that were involved. It could have been included with the Leon Lett play and all those different famous f*ck ups, but I remember specifically them talking about how Gibson threatened to bench Pisarcik if he changed a play in the huddle again, how Cszonka refused to take the handoff and how Gibson thought the kneel-down was beneath him and not a real football play. That and Herm chuckling when reminiscing as if he caused the fumble to happen.

I'm near Detroit.  When he was here, I thought Marty was a buffoon.  He has since proven that I was the buffoon.  Getting the job in Philly totally confused me. Succeeding in Philly showed he wasn't the problem with the Lions.

Getting first downs this year with our roster (and Rex's general distaste for offense) tells me this guy is special.   I don't know if that means he's HC material, but I don't think we'll have a better OC any time soon.

It will probably take a whole lot to get Mornhinweg another head job. 5-27 does not get you too many chances. 

Marty was only marginally better than Rich Kotite as an NFL HC, and obviously can't hold a candle to the "great" Rex Ryan. Kotite and Mornhinweg COMBINED won nine NFL games. Their combined records were 9-55. I heard that Kotite was once on Jerry Jones 'short' list though he has hired about EVERY eligible HC prospect in the world but NOT Richie. Hmmm. That's a wonderment.

Marty was only marginally better than Rich Kotite as an NFL HC, and obviously can't hold a candle to the "great" Rex Ryan. Kotite and Mornhinweg COMBINED won nine NFL games. Their combined records were 9-55. I heard that Kotite was once on Jerry Jones 'short' list though he has hired about EVERY eligible HC prospect in the world but NOT Richie. Hmmm. That's a wonderment.

Kotite was 36 and 28 with Philly slowly slipping with the team built by Buddy.

While this is probably splitting hairs, the deferral wasn't even a thing back when MM made his still idiotic gaff (although there's essentially no difference when done in OT, the deferral was implemented for regulation purposes).  What happened was the Lions won the OT toss and when asked for their decision, they opted to choose the direction they wanted, in order to take the wind.  That meant it passed the option to the Bears of whether to kick or receive, which they of course opted to receive.  It wasn't the only time it's been done, just the most recent instance (of course excluding BB's decision under the new OT rules, which is a whole different thing), and probably the only guy still coaching in the NFL who did it.  Besides, much like was said before about the buttfumble with Sanchez, it was pretty much a microcosm of the Lions' abysmal season.

While this is probably splitting hairs, the deferral wasn't even a thing back when MM made his still idiotic gaff (although there's essentially no difference when done in OT, the deferral was implemented for regulation purposes).  What happened was the Lions won the OT toss and when asked for their decision, they opted to choose the direction they wanted, in order to take the wind.  That meant it passed the option to the Bears of whether to kick or receive, which they of course opted to receive.  It wasn't the only time it's been done, just the most recent instance (of course excluding BB's decision under the new OT rules, which is a whole different thing), and probably the only guy still coaching in the NFL who did it.  Besides, much like was said before about the buttfumble with Sanchez, it was pretty much a microcosm of the Lions' abysmal season.

Interesting that this bonehead, who is supposed to be an offensive guru, essentially took the wind, basically telling his offense then, that "you guys suck, and I have zero confidence that you can get us in field goal range". No wonder the dude was packing his bags after that gaffe. Way to pump up the unit you are supposed to have expertise in.

I'm near Detroit.  When he was here, I thought Marty was a buffoon.  He has since proven that I was the buffoon.  Getting the job in Philly totally confused me. Succeeding in Philly showed he wasn't the problem with the Lions.

Getting first downs this year with our roster (and Rex's general distaste for offense) tells me this guy is special.   I don't know if that means he's HC material, but I don't think we'll have a better OC any time soon.

The Eagles went 4-12 in 2012.  You can use the excuse well it was Andy Reid and not Marty, but then you start to get into conversations around if he wasn't doing much then, was he ever doing much?   The Eagles were a pass happy team long before Marty and that didn't change much when he came there.  The offense was exciting, but they were a team who never lived up to expectations while Marty was the OC.   You can blame the defense, but really,  I wouldn't call his time with Philly as successful.  The Eagles great years were long before Marty.       And if you look at Foles this year compared to when Marty was the coach,  I'd say the new staff were far more impressive than Andy and Marty the last few years.  I mean Foles had what, 27 TDs and 3 Ints this season.   Sorry, but when people say success,  Marty didn't succeed with Vick or Foles.

The Eagles went 4-12 in 2012.  You can use the excuse well it was Andy Reid and not Marty, but then you start to get into conversations around if he wasn't doing much then, was he ever doing much?   The Eagles were a pass happy team long before Marty and that didn't change much when he came there.  The offense was exciting, but they were a team who never lived up to expectations while Marty was the OC.   You can blame the defense, but really,  I wouldn't call his time with Philly as successful.  The Eagles great years were long before Marty.       And if you look at Foles this year compared to when Marty was the coach,  I'd say the new staff were far more impressive than Andy and Marty the last few years.  I mean Foles had what, 27 TDs and 3 Ints this season.   Sorry, but when people say success,  Marty didn't succeed with Vick or Foles.

He has been on OC for 12 years with the Niners, Eagles and Jets and he has been out of the top 10 in points scored 3 times.  Two of them were the past two years with rookies Foles and Geno. 

Archived