Kyle Wilson Named Jets Walter Payton Man of the Year

flgreen

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again, Wilson hasn't lived up to his draft status, but that doesn't make him a bad player. In fact, he's a pretty good player. If we could forget where he was drafted, and he could forget the finger wag, there'd be no complaints about him at all.

Again, Wilson hasn't lived up to his draft status, but that doesn't make him a bad player. In fact, he's a pretty good player. If we could forget where he was drafted, and he could forget the finger wag, there'd be no complaints about him at all.

If Kyle Wilson was an adequate starting corner, the Jets don't chase Nnamdi, and they don't pay Cromartie, and with that cash on hand, they likely keep Revis.

If Kyle Wilson was an adequate starting corner, the Jets don't chase Nnamdi, and they don't pay Cromartie, and with that cash on hand, they likely keep Revis.

Yeah, because other than Kyle Wilson's position, Mike Tannenbaum was all about the clever allocation of funds.

They don't keep Revis at $16M, regardless, and in 2012 Cromartie's extension looked pretty good.

I know you're smarter than this. I wish you were more honest rather than playing to your crowd.

The guy was an adequate starter in 2012, and a quality nickel otherwise. I wanted more out of a first round pick, too, but he's been a steady contributor. He'll be on the roster next year, and that'll be a good thing.

And Eric Mangini drafted Vernon Gholston.

Yeah, because other than Kyle Wilson's position, Mike Tannenbaum was all about the clever allocation of funds.

They don't keep Revis at $16M, regardless, and in 2012 Cromartie's extension looked pretty good.

I know you're smarter than this. I wish you were more honest rather than playing to your crowd.

The guy was an adequate starter in 2012, and a quality nickel otherwise. I wanted more out of a first round pick, too, but he's been a steady contributor. He'll be on the roster next year, and that'll be a good thing.

And Eric Mangini drafted Vernon Gholston.

He's a wasted first round pick. He plays a position that's normally manned by 3rd and 4th rounders. It's lovely that he's found a niche, menial though it may be, but he's endemic of the entire Rex regime: a bunch of swagger signifying nothing, and we're left to distill whatever positives we can from it. Fine. He's a nice nickel corner who gets murdered on the outside against other team's #2 receivers.

He's a wasted first round pick. He plays a position that's normally manned by 3rd and 4th rounders. It's lovely that he's found a niche, menial though it may be, but he's endemic of the entire Rex regime: a bunch of swagger signifying nothing, and we're left to distill whatever positives we can from it. Fine. He's a nice nickel corner who gets murdered on the outside against other team's #2 receivers.

Your glass is so empty.  He's the #1 rated slot corner in a Nickle dominant defense.  He tackles well, keeps his nose clean, and strives to improve.  His arrow is up. 

We tend to swing for the fences with our #1 pick.  Is Wilson a home-run? no.  But he's a solid double, and that's better than a lot of teams can say about that draft class. 

This actually says it all right here (and no, not in a good way for you Tom).  The mantra of the clueless football fan: spending a player's entire career basing your opinion of him on the performance in his first season.  It's the same kind of brilliant logic that still has people around here singing the praises of the likes of Pennington and Sanchez.  Yeah, just let that settle in for a second.

The truth has been pretty clear for a while now, he didn't live up to the hype and had a rocky start.  He still developed into a solid contributor for this team and fact remains, was easily the Jets' best cover man this season (maybe that's not saying a lot, but it still carries some weight).  He also played pretty damn well as a starter in 2012.  We're not talking about QB here, where it's all or nothing and you need to be the top guy and damn good at it too or you're next to useless; there is still a ton of value in what Wilson does for this team, especially in today's NFL.  The only reason people are throwing fits about him is because of still being hung up about a draft slot from four years ago.  If the Jets were forcing him into the #1 role every year because of where he was picked, and he was failing miserably at it, that would be one thing, but given that's not close to the case, it essentially no longer has any relevance.

Anyone who doesn't like the guy and wants to see the Jets let him walk after next season is one thing, but the argument that he should be cut (which has been made repeatedly on this board) is indefensible nonsense.

This actually says it all right here (and no, not in a good way for you Tom). The mantra of the clueless football fan: spending a player's entire career basing your opinion of him on the performance in his first season. It's the same kind of brilliant logic that still has people around here singing the praises of the likes of Pennington and Sanchez. Yeah, just let that settle in for a second.

The truth has been pretty clear for a while now, he didn't live up to the hype and had a rocky start. He still developed into a solid contributor for this team and fact remains, was easily the Jets' best cover man this season (maybe that's not saying a lot, but it still carries some weight). He also played pretty damn well as a starter in 2012. We're not talking about QB here, where it's all or nothing and you need to be the top guy and damn good at it too or you're next to useless; there is still a ton of value in what Wilson does for this team, especially in today's NFL. The only reason people are throwing fits about him is because of still being hung up about a draft slot from four years ago. If the Jets were forcing him into the #1 role every year because of where he was picked, and he was failing miserably at it, that would be one thing, but given that's not close to the case, it essentially no longer has any relevance.

Anyone who doesn't like the guy and wants to see the Jets let him walk after next season is one thing, but the argument that he should be cut (which has been made repeatedly on this board) is indefensible nonsense.

Who's basing their opinion of Kyle Wilson based off of one season? Sometimes you get so amped up to launch into a screed, you completely lose focus over what you're upset about which, here, was the Pennington commentary from earlier this week. Which I never commented on. Focus, man. Focus.

Your glass is so empty. He's the #1 rated slot corner in a Nickle dominant defense. He tackles well, keeps his nose clean, and strives to improve. His arrow is up.

We tend to swing for the fences with our #1 pick. Is Wilson a home-run? no. But he's a solid double, and that's better than a lot of teams can say about that draft class.

Who is doing this rating, exactly?

Come on man, don't make me support my statements with proof, and stuff.

His name is Gregory, he works at PFF. I don't pay for the statistics I cite, just trust me. I read it on the internet.

Gregory is a weird, weird name.

However, if Wilson is as good as is being hypothesized, the Jets should consider trading him for a draft pick.

Gregory is a weird, weird name.

However, if Wilson is as good as is being hypothesized, the Jets should consider trading him for a draft pick.

Trading away the game's best nickle-back is akin to drafting a slot corner in the first round. 

I don't like the finger wag. Let's get that out of the way.

But he was very solid against other teams' #2s in 2012, it's just that the Jets like him in the slot role - which has it's own challenges. Covering shifty receivers without the help of the sideline isn't an easy job. And has been mentioned, he's been very well rated in that job. In today's pass-happy NFL, he's practically a starter, anyway.

Really, hardly a waste of the 29th pick in the draft. Don't care if third or fourth rounders are doing the same job, only not as well.

Who's basing their opinion of Kyle Wilson based off of one season? Sometimes you get so amped up to launch into a screed, you completely lose focus over what you're upset about which, here, was the Pennington commentary from earlier this week. Which I never commented on. Focus, man. Focus.

The guy who used the Jets' re-signing of Cromartie, which happened after Wilson's rookie year, as the source of judgment for his entire career.  I'm focused, you're just talking out of your ass, and I'm simply pointing it out.

I don't like the finger wag. Let's get that out of the way.

But he was very solid against other teams' #2s in 2012, it's just that the Jets like him in the slot role - which has it's own challenges. Covering shifty receivers without the help of the sideline isn't an easy job. And has been mentioned, he's been very well rated in that job. In today's pass-happy NFL, he's practically a starter, anyway.

Really, hardly a waste of the 29th pick in the draft. Don't care if third or fourth rounders are doing the same job, only not as well.

Practically a starter is not a starter. The starters on the team are a ninth overall pick and a guy who made $9 mil this year. Missing on Wilson directly resulted in having to direct copious resources back into his position. It's a drag. All I'm saying.

The guy who used the Jets' re-signing of Cromartie, which happened after Wilson's rookie year, as the source of judgment for his entire career. I'm focused, you're just talking out of your ass, and I'm simply pointing it out.

Oh. No. Having to chase Cro down after whiffing on Nnamdi isn't the sole issue with Wilson. It's but one.

Practically a starter is not a starter. The starters on the team are a ninth overall pick and a guy who made $9 mil this year. Missing on Wilson directly resulted in having to direct copious resources back into his position. It's a drag. All I'm saying.

In three years as the Jets GM, Bill Parcells' best pick was arguably the 28th pick in the seventh round, Jason Ferguson. If not, it was fourth rounder, Jason Fabini. His lone first rounder was James Farrior (who did nothing under Parcells' awesome coaching, despite being #8 overall).

Kyle Wilson would've been your hero's best draft pick. Easy.

In three years as the Jets GM, Bill Parcells' best pick was arguably the 28th pick in the seventh round, Jason Ferguson. If not, it was fourth rounder, Jason Fabini. His lone first rounder was James Farrior (who did nothing under Parcells' awesome coaching, despite being #8 overall).

Kyle Wilson would've been your hero's best draft pick. Easy.

That's silly talk. Coaches have nothing to do with personnel.

Practically a starter is not a starter.

Also, Kyle Wilson was on the field for 42% of the Jets' defensive snaps. Compare that to the guy John Idzik traded for and paid to be the Jets' starting RB, who was on the field for 31% of the team's offensive snaps. But Chris was a starter, Kyle wasn't. I guess it's all in the title.

Also, Kyle Wilson was on the field for 42% of the Jets' defensive snaps. Compare that to the guy John Idzik traded for and paid to be the Jets' starting RB, who was on the field for 31% of the team's offensive snaps. But Chris was a starter, Kyle wasn't. I guess it's all in the title.

Ivory started six games, had 833 yards and went for 4.6 ypc. Ivory had more impact in those 6 starts than Wilson has had in three years.

Ivory started six games, had 833 yards and went for 4.6 ypc. Ivory had more impact in those 6 starts than Wilson has had in three years.

Tough to quantify. Wilson has played a prominent role on some good defenses, Ivory played a minor role on a bad offense. Or, maybe it's not tough to quantify.

Tough to quantify. Wilson has played a prominent role on some good defenses, Ivory played a minor role on a bad offense. Or, maybe it's not tough to quantify.

Eric Smith played a prominent role in one of the best pass defenses of the modern era, so really, who's to say if he's good or bad?

Archived