who do you believe will be our starting receivers & qb by preseason

Jetknowledge

That same head coach allowed a rookie Geno Smith to throw the ball the 19th most times in the NFL, it's not unreasonable to think the'll throw it more his second year in the league.

Stop making excuses, Ryan doesn't get offense like you or I do. We know its a Passing League, and we also know Ryan would rather keep the Jets in the stone age. I bet the only reason they even passed last year is because Ryan saw feet lol!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cumberland only had 40 targets, but on a per-play basis, he was one of the best TEs in the league last season. I seriously doubt that will hold up if we start throwing it in his direction 5 times a game, but it'll be interesting to see what the team thinks of him.

Impressive. Sheds a little more light one how high the team has been on him for a while.  It brings up two questions for me: since DYAR is still unable to separate the TE/WR's production from their respective QB, it makes me wonder if Cumberland is even better than these numbers or if Geno is just that much more comfortable throwing to Cumberland.  There were games when Cumberland went off and then was invisible for a couple of weeks when you saw defenses take him away.  It lends a bit of credibility to the no weaponz theory.  I'd like to keep Cumberland and see if he can flourish as a 3rd or 4th option.  

DYAR rank in the league:

Kerley--->45th

Nelson--> 53rd

Holmes--> 67th

Hill-------> 86th

Gates ( DYAR -43, but didn't qualify for the above 50 targets)

Also shows a bit more why Geno's stats with and w/out Kerley were so dichotomous. Obviously Geno struggled, but I am quite eager to see what he can do with some more talent around him.

Impressive. Sheds a little more light one how high the team has been on him for a while.  It brings up two questions for me: since DYAR is still unable to separate the TE/WR's production from their respective QB, it makes me wonder if Cumberland is even better than these numbers or if Geno is just that much more comfortable throwing to Cumberland.  There were games when Cumberland went off and then was invisible for a couple of weeks when you saw defenses take him away.  It lends a bit of credibility to the no weaponz theory.  I'd like to keep Cumberland and see if he can flourish as a 3rd or 4th option.  

Part of it (and everything with Cumberland) may have to do with the fact that he is always dinged up.  IIRC he had hamstring and concussion issues this season.  I think they held him out the week before the bye which also may indicate that he was banged up and they were hoping to get him right with the extra rest. 

Part of it (and everything with Cumberland) may have to do with the fact that he is always dinged up.  IIRC he had hamstring and concussion issues this season.  I think they held him out the week before the bye which also may indicate that he was banged up and they were hoping to get him right with the extra rest. 

I believe you are right, but can't remember how many games he missed or if he was just mostly hobbled when he did play.  He obviously has a skill-set that the coaching staff likes and I think is certainly worth keeping around, but shouldn't preclude us from up-grading if an opportunity should present itself: say ASJ in the 2nd or 3rd, who's been my favorite TE for the last couple of years and remains so.

I believe you are right, but can't remember how many games he missed or if he was just mostly hobbled when he did play.  He obviously has a skill-set that the coaching staff likes and I think is certainly worth keeping around, but shouldn't preclude us from up-grading if an opportunity should present itself: say ASJ in the 2nd or 3rd, who's been my favorite TE for the last couple of years and remains so.

I think he only missed one game, but he missed about four starts.  I checked his injury report and that coupled with my memory of his season is as follows:  Iingering hamstring issues coming into the season.  I think he got drilled in the face in the first half of the first game by Dashon Goldson (penalized and fined) and though he was not listed with a "concussion" he may have had a head injury of some sort.  He kept playing but eventually suffered a "mild concussion"  He only missed the one game against the Saints, but was questionable and limited the game before (Bengals 1 for 9) still listed as questionable the week after the bye (Bills 3 for 25 + TD).

Yes. We finally found something to agree about!

I think it was more a difference in the amount he'll do than two separate ideas. We both feel Idzik will make moves in the off-season, I just think it came down to who we thought he'd go after. By splash, I meant not go after the top tier FAs in multiple areas, but still solidify positions with good players. Whether that means Tate over Decker and Orakpo, it's more player preference than saying I think  he'll do nothing.  At least I hope he'll address those positions, which I can't see why he wouldn't.

I think it was more a difference in the amount he'll do than two separate ideas. We both feel Idzik will make moves in the off-season, I just think it came down to who we thought he'd go after. By splash, I meant not go after the top tier FAs in multiple areas, but still solidify positions with good players. Whether that means Tate over Decker and Orakpo, it's more player preference than saying I think  he'll do nothing.  At least I hope he'll address those positions, which I can't see why he wouldn't.

Yeah sorry for misunderstanding you a couple times there, tough to distinguish sometimes between some of the real posters and the trolls.

I want to see what Geno can do with legitimate WR's and TE's. Between the picks and the cash, there should be enough to get him a respectable group of weapons. That's the only way we'll be able to honestly evaluate Geno and know whether or not we need to target a QB in 2015.

DYAR rank in the league:

Kerley--->45th

Nelson--> 53rd

Holmes--> 67th

Hill-------> 86th

Gates ( DYAR -43, but didn't qualify for the above 50 targets)

Also shows a bit more why Geno's stats with and w/out Kerley were so dichotomous. Obviously Geno struggled, but I am quite eager to see what he can do with some more talent around him.

You said "dichotomous" :)

Cumberland only had 40 targets, but on a per-play basis, he was one of the best TEs in the league last season. I seriously doubt that will hold up if we start throwing it in his direction 5 times a game, but it'll be interesting to see what the team thinks of him.

Cumberland seems like a pretty easy spot. There's some untapped upside there, he's not going to cost anything, and it's not like there are a ton of places on the roster we can fill in house in the first place.

Lol, right

Geno will average around 255 yards a game, and hill will average around 65 yards a game.

That's 4,080 for geno and 1,040 for hill

Of these two bold predictions, I think the one for Hill is a little more likely. In the same stadium, Eli Manning didn't break 4000 yards until his sixth season. I just see 255 yards passing a game, on average, to be too much. Especially in November and beyond in Giants Stadium II, NE, Buffalo, etc.

I just want to see him be smarter with the football, maybe rush for 5-600 yards.

Of these two bold predictions, I think the one for Hill is a little more likely. In the same stadium, Eli Manning didn't break 4000 yards until his sixth season. I just see 255 yards passing a game, on average, to be too much. Especially in November and beyond in Giants Stadium II, NE, Buffalo, etc.

I just want to see him be smarter with the football, maybe rush for 5-600 yards.

He's talking 4000, and 1000 for guys that if all things go well in the draft and free agency WONT even be our starters, and actually the more likely of the those 2 ridiculous goals is Geno getting 4000 (which is impossible but whatever), as right now, I expect the Jets to darft at least 1 or 2 WR's and pick up another 1 or 2 in FA , meaning Hill at best will be #4 and in all likelihood actually be #5, so 1000 for him is virtually an imp[ossibility.

Geno getting 4000 will only have a small possibility to  occur if the other 2 QB's on the roster are named SANCHEZ and SIMMS, because just about any other QB beats out Geno.

He's talking 4000, and 1000 for guys that if all things go well in the draft and free agency WONT even be our starters, and actually the more likely of the those 2 ridiculous goals is Geno getting 4000 (which is impossible but whatever), as right now, I expect the Jets to darft at least 1 or 2 WR's and pick up another 1 or 2 in FA , meaning Hill at best will be #4 and in all likelihood actually be #5, so 1000 for him is virtually an imp[ossibility.

Geno getting 4000 will only have a small possibility to  occur if the other 2 QB's on the roster are named SANCHEZ and SIMMS, because just about any other QB beats out Geno.

Actually, if the Jets sign just one WR in free agency, and then fail to draft one in the first two rounds, Hill would be the likely starter. He's still a former second round pick, still has impressive measurables, and will be given every opportunity to perform in what is essentially his put up or shut up year.

We don't know yet if the Jets will be looking to replace Geno, or just find a competent backup for him. He is Idzik's pick, and did play like a living, breathing platitude down the stretch. He played within himself. He took what the defense gave him. Blah blah. My initial guess would be that they go with him again next year, although Rex's failure to guarantee him even the first snaps in training camp might be some sort of foreshadowing.

Actually, if the Jets sign just one WR in free agency, and then fail to draft one in the first two rounds, Hill would be the likely starter. He's still a former second round pick, still has impressive measurables, and will be given every opportunity to perform in what is essentially his put up or shut up year.

We don't know yet if the Jets will be looking to replace Geno, or just find a competent backup for him. He is Idzik's pick, and did play like a living, breathing platitude down the stretch. He played within himself. He took what the defense gave him. Blah blah. My initial guess would be that they go with him again next year, although Rex's failure to guarantee him even the first snaps in training camp might be some sort of foreshadowing.

OMG this is nauseating!

He's talking 4000, and 1000 for guys that if all things go well in the draft and free agency WONT even be our starters, and actually the more likely of the those 2 ridiculous goals is Geno getting 4000 (which is impossible but whatever), as right now, I expect the Jets to darft at least 1 or 2 WR's and pick up another 1 or 2 in FA , meaning Hill at best will be #4 and in all likelihood actually be #5, so 1000 for him is virtually an imp[ossibility.

Geno getting 4000 will only have a small possibility to occur if the other 2 QB's on the roster are named SANCHEZ and SIMMS, because just about any other QB beats out Geno.

COMPETITION!

Any player on the roster has the opportunity to start if he earns that.

Hill even after the draft and FA could still be our most athletic and physically talented receiver.

He just has to work his ass off for it.

OMG this is nauseating!

If you are referring to  the prospect of Smith not having any real competition, I am not sure I am nauseated by that, since I am not prepared to think he is certain to perform not significantly better than last season.  But since I do think it unlikely that he will, I am concerned the coming season will be one where he holds back the team, and with mediocre results.

Archived