TE's Combine weigh in results and measurables

eboozer

http://nflmocks.com/2014/02/21/28773/

Tight ends have arrived at the 2014 NFL Scouting Combine, and have gotten poked, prodded, and measured for your enjoyment. Here are the official results.

Player School Height Weight Arm length Hand size

Jace Amaro Texas Tech 6’5 265 34″ 9″
Rob Blanchflower UMass 6’4 256 33 3/4″ 9 5/8″
Trey Burton Florida 6’2 224 31″ 9 3/8″
A.D. Denham Utah 6’4 235 33 3/8″ 10 1/2″
Joe Don Duncan Dixie State 6’3 268 32 3/8″ 10 1/8″
Eric Ebron North Carolina 6’4′ 250 33 1/4″ 10″
C.J. Fiedorowicz Iowa 6’5 265 33″ 10 1/4″
Crockett Gillmore Colorado State 6’6 260 33 3/4″ 10 3/8″
Xavier Grimble USC 6’4 257 33 5/8″ 10 1/4″
Nic Jacobs McNeese State 6’5 269 34 1/8″ 10″
Marcel Jensen Fresno State 6’6 259 34 7/8″ 9 7/8″
Reggie Jordan Missouri Western State 6’3 240 32 1/4″ 9 5/8″
A.C. Leonard Tennessee State 6’2 252 33″ 9 1/4″
Colt Lyerla Oregon 6’4 242 32 3/4″ 10 1/4″
Arthur Lynch Georgia 6’5 258 32 1/2″ 10 1/8″
Jake Murphy Utah 6’4 249 31 3/4″ 10″
Jordan Najvar Baylor 6’6 256 32 1/4″ 10″
Troy Niklas Notre Dame 6’6 270 34 1/8″ 10″
Jake Pedersen Wisconsin 6’3 238 31 3/4″ 9″
Richard Rogers Callfornia 6’4 257 32 5/8″ 10 1/8″
Austin Seferian-Jenkins Washington 6’5 262 33 3/4″ 9 3/4″
D.J. Tialavea Utah State 6’3 267 33 5/8″ 9 1/4″

Interesting notes from this:
•Former Oregon TE Colt Lyerla showed up. That’s good. If he has used his time away from the game to get his head on straight, he’ll be a steal for someone.
•Former Florida jack-of-all-trades Trey Burton checked into the Combine as a TE. He’ll be fun to watch work out.
•C.J. Fiedorowicz (Iowa) has been listed at 6’7″ his entire career. Clearly that wasn’t true.
•Notre Dame’s Troy Niklas is humongous at 6’6″ 270 and is quickly becoming a serious top 3 or 4 TE consideration.
•Eric Ebron had better than advertised size at 6’4″ 250. He’s generally the 1st TE projected off the board.
•Crockett Gilmore has extremely impressive size and his stock is definitely pointing upward.

This settles it for me. We are not taking a TE in rd 1. Too much talent at this position to reach for Ebron, especially with Geno still developing. We go with a Nicklas/ Fiedorowicz/ Lynch type player in the 3rd.

We're going W/R, OLB, DB @18

This settles it for me. We are not taking a TE in rd 1. Too much talent at this position to reach for Ebron, especially with Geno still developing. We go with a Nicklas/ Fiedorowicz/ Lynch type player in the 3rd.

We're going W/R, OLB, DB @18

So if the big 3 WR's are off the board at 18, it's ok to reach for the 4th, 5th or 6th rated WR, but not for the #1 rated TE?  We need both WR's and TE's.

So if the big 3 WR's are off the board at 18, it's ok to reach for the 4th, 5th or 6th rated WR, but not for the #1 rated TE?  We need both WR's and TE's.

If the 4th or 5th rated WR is better than the 1st ranked TE, why not?

Further, if the difference between the 1st and say 4th ranked TE is minimal, why not?

the 4th or 5th rated WR is not better than Ebron.

Odelle Beckham Jr is better than Eric Ebron; Especially for the offense we run. We need talented pass catchers on the outside and a lethal running back to soak up targets, not, an over-hyped TE who wouldn't be effective without the affirmentioned two.

Odelle Beckham Jr is better than Eric Ebron; Especially for the offense we run. We need talented pass catchers on the outside and a lethal running back to soak up targets, not, an over-hyped TE who wouldn't be effective without the affirmentioned two.

We also need a qb. Doesn't matter how good our weapons are if our qb sucks.

That's why I said:

"We're going W/R, OLB, DB @18"

If a #1 receiver is not on the board, but a #1 DB (corner, safety) or LB are there you grab them.

I prefer ( and I think Rex, Idzik prefer) a strong blocking TE who can leak out into the flat or seam for an 8- 12 yard gain than a field stretching, so-so TE who's only in on passing downs. It looks like we're re-signing Cumberland... he can be that tall, fast TE. Give me Nicklas, ASJ, Crockett, Fiedorowicz in the 3rd round, and a high value position in the 1st & 2nd.... Or trade down, which is preferable.

With the 18th Pick of the 2014 NFL Draft The New York Jets Select... CB DARQUEZE DENNARD, watch the board melt down.

I'm not sure if you are serous about this, but it is very possible that Dennard is the best player at 18.  The Jets are desperate for a CB.

The draft seems deep at both WR and TE.  Not so much CB

That's why I said:

"We're going W/R, OLB, DB @18"

If a #1 receiver is not on the board, but a #1 DB (corner, safety) or LB are there you grab them.

I prefer ( and I think Rex, Idzik prefer) a strong blocking TE who can leak out into the flat or seam for an 8- 12 yard gain than a field stretching, so-so TE who's only in on passing downs. It looks like we're re-signing Cumberland... he can be that tall, fast TE. Give me Nicklas, ASJ, Crockett, Fiedorowicz in the 3rd round, and a high value position in the 1st & 2nd.... Or trade down, which is preferable.

In Defense of Jeff Cumberland

By Alan Schechter -

Feb 21st, 2014 at 5:30 am

8045260-300x361.jpg

Dec 29, 2013; Miami Gardens, FL, USA; New York Jets tight end Jeff Cumberland (87) makes a catch against the Miami Dolphins during the second half of the game at Sun Life Stadium. The Jets defeated Miami 20-7. Mandatory Credit: Brad Barr-USA TODAY Sports

Earlier this week, the NY Daily News broke the story that the Jets are negotiating with unrestricted free agent tight end Jeff Cumberland on a new contract. This got the fan base upset, all very confused about why the Jets would even consider bringing back this player.

So, we are going take the opposite viewpoint this morning, and make the case for bringing back Jeff Cumberland.

First of all, there is the issue of depth, specifically, the fact that you can’t have too much of it. If that depth can already be familiar with the system that your team runs, even better. Yes, Kellen Winslow outperformed Cumberland in 2013, there is no disagreement there. Anyone that follows this blog knows how excited I was to have Kellen Winslow in the fold last year.

However, with all of his problems off of the field, it is seemingly less and less likely that the Jets will be bringing Kellen Winslow back. So, if the Jets are going to bring back a familiar face at tight end, it’s going to be Cumberland. Nowhere does the article say that he is coming back to START, nor does it say they are going to break the bank.

Here are Jeff Cumberland’s stats so far in his career:

Receiving & Rushing

Receiving Rushing       Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Rec Yds Y/R TD Lng R/G Y/G Att Yds TD Lng Y/A Y/G A/G YScm RRTD Fmb AV 2010 23 NYJ   86 1 0 1 3 3.0 0 3 1.0 3.0               3 0 0 0 2011 24 NYJ   86 3 0 2 35 17.5 0 33 0.7 11.7               35 0 0 0 2012 25 NYJ TE/wr 86 15 12 29 359 12.4 3 39 1.9 23.9               359 3 0 2 2013 26 NYJ TE 87 15 12 26 398 15.3 4 47 1.7 26.5               398 4 0 3 Career         34 24 58 795 13.7 7 47 1.7 23.4               795 7 0 5

Are these the stats of a number one tight end in this day and age of the NFL? Probably not. But are they the numbers of a player that is a serviceable backup, that could step in if necessary? Absolutely.

You get similar results when you look at some of his advanced metrics, courtesy of our friends at Pro Football Focus.  For example, Jeff was targeted 39 times, catching 26 passes, for a catch percentage of 66.7%.  Taking into account the trials of a rookie quarterback, and you look at these numbers in a different light.  They aren’t perfect, but they aren’t so bad either.

We have talked about yards after the catch being a staple of the “West Coast” offense, have we not?  Well, Jeff Cumberland was ninth in the league in this category with 7.7 yards after the catch per reception(for tight ends that played at least 25% of team snaps).  That puts Jeff 2.5 yards higher than players such as Vernon Davis and Antonio Gates (5.2)

Another interesting stat in Jeff’s favor is yards per reception.  He ranked fifth at the position with 15.3 yards per reception, and was over one yard better than Jimmy Graham (14.1).

Now, am I saying that Cumberland is a better player than Jimmy Graham?  Of course not.  I do have eyes.

What I am saying is that if the Jets keep Jeff Cumberland around, it’s not such a bad idea.  The guy has ability, and would certainly be an able backup to Eric Ebron or whomever else the Jets bring in.

Odelle Beckham Jr is better than Eric Ebron; Especially for the offense we run. We need talented pass catchers on the outside and a lethal running back to soak up targets, not, an over-hyped TE who wouldn't be effective without the affirmentioned two.Him

Hmm I suppose that is debatable. I personally think Ebron is ahead. I agree we need talented pass catchers and all that but like I said I think we should pick best player available, and If the top 3 WRs are takin then I think we should take Ebron. Also, the WR pool is wayyy deeper than the TE one. I personally just see the next batch of WRs not the same but all with equally intriguing potential and question marks. Benjamin, Beckham, Matthews, Cooks, Landry, Robinson... these guys are great value in the 2nd. 

Just repeating what the TV man said. 

I don't know how he can say he's a better athlete.

40 Yard Dash: 4.38 seconds 20 Yard Dash: 2.59 seconds 10 Yard Dash: 1.51 seconds Bench Press: 33 reps (225 lb) Wonderlic: (N/A) (0-50)

Vertical Leap: 42.0 inches Broad Jump: 128 inches 20 Yd Shuttle: 4.17 seconds Three Cone: 7.00 seconds 60 Yd Shuttle: (N/A) seconds

Mayock gets paid to talk, he's not always right.   He's also the one who quoted the 4.40 time. 

Understood..... Vernon is a freak. Ebron is impressive, no doubt. I just hope Idzik's got his "A" game for the Draft and FA.

Archived