Phil Simms rips 2014 QB Class (MERGED)

eboozer

Cotchery

Washington

Farrior

Vilma

Leon Washington became a decent KR but had his best days as a RB with the Jets.  Jonathan Vilma is immensely overrated.  He did the same thing in New Orleans that he did here; rack up tackles 5 yards from the LOS.  I guess you could say he's the "QB of the defense", but that same defense ended up in a bounty scandal that set the franchise back a couple years.  Cotchery, as I mentioned above, had a fine career until his last season when injury problems led him to be among the league leaders in drops.  Not sure how you could say we "misused" him.

Farrior is the only legit one on your list.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uh, we discarded CHAD like garbage for some guy in a walker, and he won the AFC east the next year.

Bernard Pollard and the Wildcat won the East for them, and they went on to get pounded at home by the Ravens in the 1st round of the playoffs, with Chad throwing 4 picks; this type of performance was more than typical for him when the stakes were heightened.  He never made any impact on the NFL whatsoever for the remainder of his career.  Pennington had his best days with the Jets, not Miami.

Cotchery

Washington

Farrior

Vilma

In the four years since Washington left us, he's amassed less than 400 yards rushing and 150 yards receiver, total.  Good two years as a kick returner but was phased out. 

Cotchery has only had one decent year since he left: 207 yards, 205 yards and then 602 yards. 

Farrior had a great career after us, but that's going a ways back to prove a point, no?

Leon Washington became a decent KR but had his best days as a RB with the Jets.  Jonathan Vilma is immensely overrated.  He did the same thing in New Orleans that he did here; rack up tackles 5 yards from the LOS.  I guess you could say he's the "QB of the defense", but that same defense ended up in a bounty scandal that set the franchise back a couple years.  Cotchery, as I mentioned above, had a fine career until his last season when injury problems led him to be among the league leaders in drops.  Not sure how you could say we "misused" him.

Farrior is the only legit one on your list.

Wait, Vilma won a SB, as the defensive QB, and you act like he was a 4th string safety.

Wait, Vilma won a SB, as the defensive QB, and you act like he was a 4th string safety.

The defense was ranked 20th in points allowed that season.  And I'd say that Darren Sharper (9 INT's, 3 TD's), Will Smith (13 sacks) and Roman Harper (81 tackles, 1.5 sacks, 2 forced fumbles) had a bigger impact than Vilma that season, no?

James Farrior and Jonathan Goodwin.  That's the only 2 "stars" the Jets messed up on.  Utilizing talent hasn't been the Jets problem.  It's amassing talent, particularly via the draft, that's been our issue.  And we finally might have a GM capable of doing that the right way.  Sheldon Richardson is immediate evidence of this.

James Farrior and Jonathan Goodwin.  That's the only 2 "stars" the Jets messed up on.  Utilizing talent hasn't been the Jets problem.  It's amassing talent, particularly via the draft, that's been our issue.  And we finally might have a GM capable of doing that the right way.  Sheldon Richardson is immediate evidence of this.

Well us old guys could go back to Riggins. 

lol.

Yeah, you can definitely make a case that the Jets are poor talent evaluators. But the only players you can legitimately say we failed to develop and excelled elsewhere are James Farrior and Jonathan Goodwin. Did Vernon Gholston, Chad Pennington, LaMont Jordan, Kerry Rhodes, or Braylon Edwards go on to great things after they took off the Green and White?

Cotchery had a fine career here so his success with Pittsburgh with a major upgrade in the QB throwing him the ball isn't particularly damning. John Abraham was just who we thought he was when we traded him: A talented DE with questionable toughness (and I'm being kind there). We got the most we could out of Laveranues Coles and Dustin Keller. Etc etc.

John Riggins, young man

Well us old guys could go back to Riggins.

Jeff Blake, Terrence Mathis... but these names hardly have any bearing on what's going on today. Even bitching about the Vilma trade, that was done under Tangini. No relevance.

The big problem here since Bradway took over has been trading away draft picks, whiffing on high picks, or both (see: Butcher knives, Bowling ball). It's not that talent hasn't been developed, it's that talent hasn't been acquired. Hopefully Idzik has a completely different vision than the Bradway-Tannenbaum connection. Only Bitonti knows for sure.

Uh, we discarded CHAD like garbage for some guy in a walker, and he won the AFC east the next year.

Forgetting the sheer lunacy of solely crediting Chad himself for winning the AFC East that year (after all, would you solely credit Sanchez for the Jets successes in 09/10?), and ignoring that it took injuries to two superior starting QBs for the Phins to desperately rally back to a division tie, I would still like to point out that his season was capped off with our very own Rex Ryan making Chad his personal bitch in the playoffs.  After that, Chad's NFL career was essentially over.

Farrior was a complete screw-up all around, but we actually already kind of knew Goodwin was pretty good while he was here.  He was the first guy off the bench as the backup at any and all OL positions, and always played well.  It was simply that, through most of his time with the Jets, they had a pretty dominant OL that he simply didn't have a chance to break into the starting lineup.  That said, why they didn't keep him around after things started to fall apart on the OL in 2005 is beyond me, and was obviously horribly handled.  After all, as good as Mangold is/was, being able to use that 2nd first elsewhere would have been a nice thing.

Forgetting the sheer lunacy of solely crediting Chad himself for winning the AFC East that year (after all, would you solely credit Sanchez for the Jets successes in 09/10?), and ignoring that it took injuries to two superior starting QBs for the Phins to desperately rally back to a division tie, I would still like to point out that his season was capped off with our very own Rex Ryan making Chad his personal bitch in the playoffs.  After that, Chad's NFL career was essentially over.

"After all, would you solely credit Sanchez for the Jets successes in 09/10?"  Some would.

Farrior was a complete screw-up all around, but we actually already kind of knew Goodwin was pretty good while he was here.  He was the first guy off the bench as the backup at any and all OL positions, and always played well.  It was simply that, through most of his time with the Jets, they had a pretty dominant OL that he simply didn't have a chance to break into the starting lineup.  That said, why they didn't keep him around after things started to fall apart on the OL in 2005 is beyond me, and was obviously horribly handled.  After all, as good as Mangold is/was, being able to use that 2nd first elsewhere would have been a nice thing.

Chad Clifton?

I was really just including Goodwin as a concession to the other side of the argument.  Farrior is really the only relevant player in the Woody Johnson era to fit this argument.

"After all, would you solely credit Sanchez for the Jets successes in 09/10?"  Some would.

By "Some" do you mean Pac?

Archived