ASJ has surgery. Could be we can grab him @ 49

eboozer

Maybe he even slides to 3rd round #69

ASJ has surgery, will miss Pro Day

2014 NFL Draft: Seferian-Jenkins opts for surgery now

By Rob Rang | The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com

Former University of Washington tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins underwent surgery in North Carolina Friday to stabilize a stress fracture in his left foot.

Seferian-Jenkins, currently NFLDraftScout.com's No. 3 TE and No. 45 overall prospect, looked to be in great shape when he took the podium and spoke to the assembled media at the scouting combine last week. He announced his expectation to run "a 4.6-something" after measuring in at 6-foot-5, 262 pounds -- a loss of nearly 20 pounds.

Shortly before the tight ends were to compete in their first athletic drills in Indianapolis, however, the reigning Mackey Award winner was informed that doctors had discovered a pre-existing injury and that he was not medically cleared to participate.

In an interview given to the NFL Network after the tight end workouts ended last Saturday, Seferian-Jenkins sounded understandably disappointed.

"Everything is good," he said. "I'm fine."

He acknowledged to the Seattle Times on Monday, however, that he was "glad they found it," and that now he'd "finally found out why my foot was hurting all year."

After a consultation with agents, Todd France and Brian Ayrault of Five Star Athlete Management and family, Seferian-Jenkins opted for surgery to repair the issue.

The expected recovery is approximately eight weeks, which makes it unlikely he'll be able to participate in Washington's Pro Day, April 2.

Those close to Seferian-Jenkins weren't willing to count out the possibility of a later workout should he prove a quick healer.

The 2014 NFL Draft kicks off Thursday, May 8, just under 10 weeks from now.

Since signing with Washington as one of the elite prep talents in the country, Seferian-Jenkins has proven a difference-maker, using his extraordinary combination of size, body control and soft hands to prove a matchup nightmare for opponents. Despite leaving after his true junior season, Seferian-Jenkins ranks as Washington's career record-holder among tight ends in catches (146), receiving yards (1,840) and touchdowns (21).

Though he was recognized with the Mackey Award as the nation's top tight end in 2013, Seferian-Jenkins was actually more productive as a sophomore, setting the university's single-season records for his position with 69 receptions for 850 yards and seven touchdowns. For that production Seferian-Jenkins was named a finalist for the Mackey as a sophomore but was beaten out by Notre Dame's (and future Cincinnati Bengals' first round pick) Tyler Eifert, whose numbers (50 catches for 685 yards and four scores) paled in comparison.

While undeniably gifted, Seferian-Jenkins proved more of an after-thought rather than go-to target in his final season with the Huskies. Then-head coach Steve Sarkisian incorporated more of a spread offense, asking Seferian-Jenkins to block more frequently. He caught a career-high eight touchdowns but otherwise sunk to 36 catches for 450 yards, the lowest production of his collegiate career.

Seferian-Jenkins' junior season got off to an inauspicious start with an arrest for DUI in March of last year. He then broke his pinkie - which also required surgery - in mid-August.

Despite the less-than-ideal junior campaign, Seferian-Jenkins elected to leave early for the NFL, reportedly earning a second round grade from the NFL Advisory Committee.

He does not boast the breakaway speed that most (but not all) of CBSSports.com's analysts think will result in North Carolina's Eric Ebron earning a top 20 pick but catches the ball as well as any tight end in this draft class, in part due to his basketball background, which has taught him to catch the ball with his hands.

Seferian-Jenkins offers a pro-ready all-around game that reminds me a bit of Jacksonville Jaguars' 6-6, 272-pound Marcedes Lewis, a former UCLA Bruin and the 28th overall pick of the 2006 draft.

if its an 8 week injury, he aint sliding

Don't know if he can get in shape in time to show teams he's healed up. 8 weeks takes him to Aril 25th...less than 2 weeks before draft. he was a late day 1 - early day 2 prospect. I think this takes him to a mid-to-late 2nd to 3rd round pick IMO

Stress fractures in feet are tricky (especially on a 260 lb. man) Look at Gronkowski's forearm... Cause for concern.

Inability to work out could cause him to slide a bit, especially after being less productive as a junior than he was as a sophomore. Still think he's an awesome fit, would be happy with him at #49. Will be interesting to see where he goes vs. Niklas and Amaro.

Don't know if he can get in shape in time to show teams he's healed up. 8 weeks takes him to Aril 25th...less than 2 weeks before draft. he was a late day 1 - early day 2 prospect. I think this takes him to a mid-to-late 2nd to 3rd round pick IMO

Stress fractures in feet are tricky (especially on a 260 lb. man) Look at Gronkowski's forearm... Cause for concern.

Besides being a fracture, there's no real similarity in those two injuries.  Doesn't seem to be any cause for concern.  ASJ always seemed like a second day talent and I still think he'd be a good pick there, even better if he falls to the 3rd.

he needs to be ready by july.  he'll be ready by may

he's not sliding

You keep saying he won't slide? Slide from where?

Prior to this injury and before the Combine, where did you have him being drafted based on his stats and ability?

15-20?

20-25; 25-30?

Or a 2nd rd. pick in the 40 - 50 range?

If you've always thought he's a 3rd rd. pick, then I agree with you, he won't slide to rd. 4

If you think he's a 1st rd. pick, I disagree with you.

You can sometimes steal a player who has a recent surgery before draft.

I'd  like to steal James Hurst OL form UNC who was projected 1st/2nd round before season ending surgey. They have him slipping now, but by mid season/2015 he will be a stud again. 

2014 combine: UNC ailing LT James Hurst to work out at pro day

By Dane Brugler | NFLDraftScout.com Senior Analyst

February 20, 2014 2:55 pm ET

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

More Draft: NFL Mock Drafts | Big Board | NFL combine news and updates

INDIANAPOLIS -- North Carolina left tackle James Hurst entered the 2013 season as a projected early round draft pick, but after suffering an ill-timed broken leg in the Tar Heels' bowl game, he is rehabbing not only his injury, but also his draft projection.

Hurst, who grew up just outside of Indianapolis, missed the Senior Bowl due to his broken left fibula and won't be able to work out at the combine this week. However the battle back has been positive.

"The rehab is good, coming along fast," Hurst said. "I started walking two weeks ago and it feels good walking around here, feeling normal about it. I still have a week before I'm up and running."

Hurst said he expects to be fully healthy and do a complete workout regimen at North Carolina's pro day on March 25. He understands there will be no second chances; the pro day will be his only chance to impress scouts during the draft process on the field.

"It's my full physical audition," Hurst said. "Most of these guys will do their stuff here [in Indianapolis]. But I feel good that I'll do be doing everything at the university I played at and graduated from."

Hurst also reflected on his matchup with South Carolina pass rusher Jadeveon Clowney from the 2013 season opener.

"There was a lot of hype going into that game," Hurst said. "It was a fun matchup; he got me a couple times, but I think I held my own."

Hurst called the former Gamecocks defensive end "extremely explosive" and an "amazing athlete" and added that he didn't put too much stock into Clowney's effort concerns from that game.

"If he wants to make a play, he's going to make a play."

Fish looking at him also:

Finally, in the third round, Kadar sees the Dolphins again addressing the tackle position with the 81st selection, adding North Carolina's James Hurst. Of the double down at the outside positions on the offensive line, Kadar states:

Doubling up on offensive tackles in the draft this year would immediately improve Miami's biggest weakness. If Hurst weren't coming back from injury, he'd be a second-round player, at worst.

You can sometimes steal a player who has a recent surgery before draft.

I'd  like to steal James Hurst OL form UNC who was projected 1st/2nd round before season ending surgey. They have him slipping now, but by mid season/2015 he will be a stud again. 

2014 combine: UNC ailing LT James Hurst to work out at pro day

By Dane Brugler | NFLDraftScout.com Senior Analyst

February 20, 2014 2:55 pm ET

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

More Draft: NFL Mock Drafts | Big Board | NFL combine news and updates

INDIANAPOLIS -- North Carolina left tackle James Hurst entered the 2013 season as a projected early round draft pick, but after suffering an ill-timed broken leg in the Tar Heels' bowl game, he is rehabbing not only his injury, but also his draft projection.

Hurst, who grew up just outside of Indianapolis, missed the Senior Bowl due to his broken left fibula and won't be able to work out at the combine this week. However the battle back has been positive.

"The rehab is good, coming along fast," Hurst said. "I started walking two weeks ago and it feels good walking around here, feeling normal about it. I still have a week before I'm up and running."

Hurst said he expects to be fully healthy and do a complete workout regimen at North Carolina's pro day on March 25. He understands there will be no second chances; the pro day will be his only chance to impress scouts during the draft process on the field.

"It's my full physical audition," Hurst said. "Most of these guys will do their stuff here [in Indianapolis]. But I feel good that I'll do be doing everything at the university I played at and graduated from."

Hurst also reflected on his matchup with South Carolina pass rusher Jadeveon Clowney from the 2013 season opener.

"There was a lot of hype going into that game," Hurst said. "It was a fun matchup; he got me a couple times, but I think I held my own."

Hurst called the former Gamecocks defensive end "extremely explosive" and an "amazing athlete" and added that he didn't put too much stock into Clowney's effort concerns from that game.

"If he wants to make a play, he's going to make a play."

Fish looking at him also:

Finally, in the third round, Kadar sees the Dolphins again addressing the tackle position with the 81st selection, adding North Carolina's James Hurst. Of the double down at the outside positions on the offensive line, Kadar states:

Doubling up on offensive tackles in the draft this year would immediately improve Miami's biggest weakness. If Hurst weren't coming back from injury, he'd be a second-round player, at worst.

Kind of like 49ers grabbing that RB in the 3rd...name escapes me now.

Would have been a 1st rd. pick but tore his ACL.

3rd rd. would be a good place to grab a guy like this. As D'Brick holds the fort this yr, this guy gets ready to take the reigns in 2015/2016.

We also pick before Miami, as it seems they may be interested.

ASJ in the 2nd, W/R in 1st

Stress fractures have a way of lingering with large people. If it was such a slam dunk success, it would have heeled on its own. I think he falls.

All those basketball players with stress fractures, always have LONG recovery, and then inevitably they get injured again. I wouldn't go near any big guy with a stress fracture. ASJ is a no way now. Lots of good TE's that re safe like Fiedoriwicz, Niklas, and the dude from USC.

if its an 8 week injury, he aint sliding

IDK

As pointed out above a stress fracture for a big guy who depends  on agility, and speed is a serious concern.  If he can't run before the draft, IMO, he'll fall.

Interesting situation.  This is a good TE.  He blocks fairly well, has great hands.  The question on him has been his speed.  If he could run, as he says, around 4.6 IMO it cements him as an early 2nd.  If he can't run at all, someone has to roll the dice on him.

Kind of like 49ers grabbing that RB in the 3rd...name escapes me now.

Would have been a 1st rd. pick but tore his ACL.

3rd rd. would be a good place to grab a guy like this. As D'Brick holds the fort this yr, this guy gets ready to take the reigns in 2015/2016.

We also pick before Miami, as it seems they may be interested.

ASJ in the 2nd, W/R in 1st

Marcus Lattimore, 4th round pick (compensatory selection) that we should have made.  I can't knock getting Chris Ivory earlier in the round, but I have a feeling in three years we'll look back and regret the trade. 

We could have drafted our future (Lattimore) in the fourth, and Zac Stacy in the fifth (instead we took Oboushi).

Marcus Lattimore, 4th round pick (compensatory selection) that we should have made.  I can't knock getting Chris Ivory earlier in the round, but I have a feeling in three years we'll look back and regret the trade. 

We could have drafted our future (Lattimore) in the fourth, and Zac Stacy in the fifth (instead we took Oboushi).

Uggh! You had to go there... didn't you? :blowup:

Marcus Lattimore, 4th round pick (compensatory selection) that we should have made. I can't knock getting Chris Ivory earlier in the round, but I have a feeling in three years we'll look back and regret the trade.

New scouting dept. this year

Archived