Should The Jets Go After Byrd?

New York Mick

I guess this thread is the new one to post in since the other Byrd thread is on faba "LOCKDOWN"

To that end I offer this..... I would love to get Byrd under contract.

Woody would be making a statement to the fans that the Jets are going for it.

An Intimidating "D" like Seattle's would get Met Life Rockin'

45 years.... Having a great "D" will help, as the offense "SLOWLY" catches up to the "D"

We need fireman Ed back

It's even worse - some of these posts have Verner at $6-7M and Byrd at $10-12M and they still want Byrd!

I am stretching to be sure but I think Milliner will be much improved this coming year, having shown improvement toward the end of last season.  So much so that I think he will be solid at #2Cb.  This means the Jets can pretty much look between what to do with #1Cb and upgrading one safety position.  Or both?

Looking at Verner, can the Jets sign him and also upgrade safety?  Those numbers suggest the Jets will not go with Verner and Byrd.  Obviously.  In fact given the needs on O I would be upset if they did put so much money into the secondary. (isn't avoiding that result part of why they traded Revis?)

Part of the thinking here has to be what the FO thinks they should do with Cro.  They certainly could sign Byrd, cut and re-sign Cro, and end up with a very good secondary.

Less clear is if they want to move beyond Cro, go for Verner, and then what at safety?  That scenario seems more hazy right now.

I also agree with others that LB is part of this picture, too.  But I think Rex will want to say let's give the front seven another year together, they will bring back Pace, who had a good year and did not slow down at the end, and hope for better play from Davis, no drop off from Harris, perhaps Barnes coming back, and of course Coples continuing to improve.  If they upgrade at safety and Milliner is solid next year, leaving the front seven alone can still be part of fielding a very solid D.

In the end, I think it will depend on what Rex with some imput from Idzik think of Cro going forward.  I have no take on that.  Rex historically one would think would prefer to keep Cro.  But he knows it's a gamble with Milliner on the other side.  And historically Rex likes corners more than safeties, by at least some amount.

Having said that, and of course unless the market bids Byrd up too much, I can see them thinking Byrd is the answer after bringing back Cro.

This is good news if the Jets are targeting Byrd

Bills signed SS Aaron Williams to a four-year, $26 million extension through 2018.

The deal includes $14.625 million guaranteed, comes with a $6.25 million signing bonus and makes him the eighth highest-paid safety in the league in terms of average annual salary. Williams, the 34th overall pick in 2011, struggled as a corner through his first two NFL seasons. But last year's change to safety worked wonders, as he started 14 games, grading out positively against both the run and pass while racking up 82 tackles, four interceptions, one forced fumble and 11 pass breakups. Free agent FS Jairus Byrd is a goner.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5307/jairus-byrd

Free agent FS Jairus Byrd is reportedly seeking an average annual salary of at least $9 million per season.

That would make Byrd the highest paid safety in the game. Dashon Goldson got a five-year, $41.25 million deal from the Bucs a year ago, Eric Weddle signed a five-year, $40 million deal with the Chargers in 2011 and Eric Berry's rookie deal will pay him $8.41 million in 2014. Byrd is a good bet to get what he wants thanks to the rapidly rising salary cap and growing need for an elite center fielder in today's NFL. The Browns and former Bills defensive coordinator Mike Pettine could show interest.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5307/jairus-byrd

Free agent FS Jairus Byrd is reportedly seeking an average annual salary of at least $9 million per season.

That would make Byrd the highest paid safety in the game. Dashon Goldson got a five-year, $41.25 million deal from the Bucs a year ago, Eric Weddle signed a five-year, $40 million deal with the Chargers in 2011 and Eric Berry's rookie deal will pay him $8.41 million in 2014. Byrd is a good bet to get what he wants thanks to the rapidly rising salary cap and growing need for an elite center fielder in today's NFL. The Browns and former Bills defensive coordinator Mike Pettine could show interest.

That's less then I was thinking he'd want and reasonable considering the outrageous salaries players get.

there's no evidence that Rex Ryan wants a coverage safety. Ever since he's arrived hes trotted out scrubs that can do one thing: make a tackle. Yes if he is given an Ed Reed in his prime he will use this player in his defense but Rex doesn't even seem to be concerned with if his safeties can run. Like Ed Reed now. 

there's no evidence that Rex Ryan wants a coverage safety. Ever since he's arrived hes trotted out scrubs that can do one thing: make a tackle. Yes if he is given an Ed Reed in his prime he will use this player in his defense but Rex doesn't even seem to be concerned with if his safeties can run. Like Ed Reed now. 

I dunno man, last year roughly 1/4 of their offocial visits were safeties: Vaccro, Cyprien, Elam, Josh Evans, Swearinger, Earl Wolf and Jakar Hamilton. Rex might not put an emphasis on it, but it's clear that Idzik does, and it's not surprising considering the team that he just came from.  

Archived