What is our # under the cap on free-agency eve?

TaborJet

Who expects them to cut Goodson?  I sure don't.  I've heard plenty of speculation from fans, but I have not even heard a peep from our media which does nothing but speculate.  AFAIK, Bellore was an RFA.  If they just tendered him, why would they cut him?  He is probably the  best special teamer they have.

I wasn't aware of the Bellore situation. Still, $1.4 mil for a special teamer is overpaying.

As far as Goodson is concerned, he could be facing jail time and possible suspension. This has been covered several times by the media. In that case, he will be cut. I would love to keep him though as he seems to be a steel.

Do you really think Idzik is holding it against Sanchez that he blew a fit getting hurt in a meaningless game ? Sanchez has to feel he can still start for this team and Idzik knows that. There does not seem to be any bad blood between Sanchez and the Jets and since they have already talked to his people you would think something is in the works or Sanchez would have been gone a month ago. if the Jets wanted to cut ties 100 %, no way Sanchez is still hanging around something must be in the works.

Trying their best not to telegraph needing a QB any sooner than necessary imo

Sanchez $8.3 m

Nick Bellore $1.4m

Goodson $1.3m

Currently at $40mil, but that number will be about $50mil once the expected release of Sanchez and Goodson take place. I also think Nick Bellore will be let go and signed back at vets minimum.

Vellore got extended or something, saw a snippet in rotoworld

I wasn't aware of the Bellore situation. Still, $1.4 mil for a special teamer is overpaying.

As far as Goodson is concerned, he could be facing jail time and possible suspension. This has been covered several times by the media. In that case, he will be cut. I would love to keep him though as he seems to be a steel.

Agree to disagree.  I don't want to be insulting, but minimizing the impact of guys like Goodson and Bellore is what got this team in the mess it have been in.  

Bellore makes $1.4M.  They'd still have to replace Bellore - how much are they actually saving? $500k?  To downgrade?  When they have money?  No thank you.  

Goodson is on the books for $1M with a $650K roster bonus.  When is the bonus due?  If it was March 1, they are NOT cutting him.  If it is June 1, they will wait and see.  IMO they are not cutting him until camp.  Yes, he could be facing jail time and a possible suspension.  How has any of that changed since last May?  Why cut him now?  If they find a better 3rd down/receiving back they will dump him.  Otherwise, they will keep him.  He is dirt cheap..  

Sanchez $8.3 m

Nick Bellore $1.4m

Goodson $1.3m

Currently at $40mil, but that number will be about $50mil once the expected release of Sanchez and Goodson take place. I also think Nick Bellore will be let go and signed back at vets minimum.

A little bit annoying they keep saying $60M on the Fan. It's about a $10m difference which is essentially another superstar.

some of that money will be held over to next year.  I have no idea what kind of money comes off the cap next year, but I see them keeping some of this for someone they might really want who is becoming available next year.

Hmm via WFAN now Boomer said NFL just tweeted Jets only $19M under cap.

They're arguing about it now.i trust Jason more than anyone.

maybe the paperwork hasn't gone thru yet, lol.  the savings alone on cro and holmes is almost 19 mill

A: After cutting Santonio Holmes and Antonio Cromartie in a 24-hour span, a $17.75 million savings, the Jets have $39.6 million in cap room, according to ESPN data. Only four teams have more cap space than the Jets, which means the Idziks can be big spenders, if they so choose.

Agree to disagree.  I don't want to be insulting, but minimizing the impact of guys like Goodson and Bellore is what got this team in the mess it have been in.  

Bellore makes $1.4M.  They'd still have to replace Bellore - how much are they actually saving? $500k?  To downgrade?  When they have money?  No thank you.  

Goodson is on the books for $1M with a $650K roster bonus.  When is the bonus due?  If it was March 1, they are NOT cutting him.  If it is June 1, they will wait and see.  IMO they are not cutting him until camp.  Yes, he could be facing jail time and a possible suspension.  How has any of that changed since last May?  Why cut him now?  If they find a better 3rd down/receiving back they will dump him.  Otherwise, they will keep him.  He is dirt cheap..  

Its not even that big of a deal with Bellore. He's probably overpaid by about half a mil and is not an impact player. Either way, it doesn't matter much. good special teamers come dime a dozen.

As for Goodson, like I said, I'd prefer he stays and somehow avoids jail and suspension. His contract is in fact dirt cheap. But I don't think he'll avoid jail time. The gun laws in the NJ/NY are far too strict for obvious reasons.

some of that money will be held over to next year.  I have no idea what kind of money comes off the cap next year, but I see them keeping some of this for someone they might really want who is becoming available next year.

Jets are at $55mil for the 35 players under contract for 2015. They will spend probably about $35more mil this yr on players and assuming all those players are part of the team next year as well, and assuming their salaries are the same as 2014, Jets cap moves to $90mil, leaving them almost $60mil under the cap (since $15mil remaining from 2014 gets carried forward, pushing the Jets adjusted salary cap just below $150mil)

Some of the main players becoming FAs are Kenrick Ellis, David Harris, Jeremy Kerley, Bilal Powell, Big Snacks, Muhammad Wilkerson (option year I believe) and Kyle Wilson. I can easily see the Jets spending $40mil to keep these guys. That leaves them with roughly $20 mil to spend on rookies/FAs/Depth.

Too many assumptions here though, but its safe to say the Jets will be in a pretty good position to make some decent moves in 2015 again as well as this year. I do hope we keep about $10-15mil in salary cap and use it next year

Archived