Jets GM Idzik We recognize we have a need at CB

joewilly12

In a wide-ranging interview on ESPN radio 98.7 on Wednesday, Jets general manager John Idzik acknowledged the team still has a hole to fill at cornerback now that all of the high-profile free-agent options are off the market.

"We recognize we have a need at corner," Idzik said.

Step One

"We admitted we were powerless over being overwhelmed in Free Agency- That our efforts in building a competitive Team had become Unmanageable"

Admitting you have a problem is the 1st step, John. Now the healing can begin.

Agreed, and let our safeties play coverage instead of in the box.

I agree. If they were to add Haha Clinton Dix in the draft it would be a great pick. It would give the defense a ton of flexibility.

I think losing Cromartie is a bit overstated. Maybe he has something left in the tank, but he was really bad last year. So I think in Idzik's mind, there's probably not a whole lot to replace for the team to have comparable secondary play this year.

If Milliner is able to sustain his play from late in the season he's your #1 corner now and in the future. A #2 would have been nice in FA, but there weren't a whole bunch of those guys. Draft someone, let him compete with Walls who should grow some from last year too, and start the better guy with Wilson in the slot. Not saddled with a bad contract and the team is in place to appropriately allocate their financial resources in the future. Improve at safety, and the secondary isn't half bad.

What exactly does Rex need to succeed on defense? Right now there's a monster defensive line (including two first round picks), two first round OLB's, second and third round ILB's, and a top ten pick and another first round pick at corner. And I bet they add to that in the draft too. He's done a nice job developing some UDFA types like Harrison, but if he's as good a defensive mind as he's supposed to be that should be plenty to put together a defense capable of winning games with or without a $8M+ a year corner.

I find it very interesting that Idzik admitted this.  I mean everybody knows it, but I expected him to spout the traditional "we are happy with the guys we have competing for playing time."  If I am the GM I would keep drafting BAP and let Rex deal with the guys he has at corner, if necessary.  Milliner and WIlson have started plenty of games for this team and Patrick has started games for the Saints and last year a Chargers team that made the playoffs.  I'm not saying it is optimal going with these guys, but I would force Rex to scheme around them if we can't upgrade reasonably.  It's not like we have guys that don't belong on a roster. 

I find it very interesting that Idzik admitted this.  I mean everybody knows it, but I expected him to spout the traditional "we are happy with the guys we have competing for playing time."  If I am the GM I would keep drafting BAP and let Rex deal with the guys he has at corner, if necessary.  Milliner and WIlson have started plenty of games for this team and Patrick has started games for the Saints and last year a Chargers team that made the playoffs.  I'm not saying it is optimal going with these guys, but I would force Rex to scheme around them if we can't upgrade reasonably.  It's not like we have guys that don't belong on a roster. 

Maybe he wants to give the illusion he's got a hard-on for one of the CBs so as people don't know how he's really targeting _______. Not saying that's what he's doing, but it's a possibility. 

A CB at 18 is still unappealing to me.

I wouldn't rule out a cornerback in the first round just based on history but I don't like any of these players for the Jets. I think what's more likely than DB in the first is a whole bunch of DBs. Look at the depth charts for Atlanta, St. Louis, and Jacksonville and how many draft picks and UDFA from just the last year or two are in those secondaries. Seattle just won the Super Bowl with a secondary built through the draft and built fast and clearly that's the approach now.

Archived