Mayock's updated position rankings for 2014 NFL Draft

eboozer

» Mayock's pre-combine rankings | Post-combine rankings

With the pro-day circuit nearing completion, Mike Mayock unveils the third edition of his position-by-position draft prospect rankings for the 2014 NFL Draft.

2014 NFL Draft

Quarterback

1. Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M

2. Blake Bortles, Central Florida

3. Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville

4. Derek Carr, Fresno State

t5. AJ McCarron, Alabama

t5. Jimmy Garoppolo, Eastern Illinois

Rise: Manziel (2), Bortles (3)

Fall: Bridgewater (1)

Running back

1. Bishop Sankey, Washington

2. Carlos Hyde, Ohio State

3. Jeremy Hill, LSU

4. Tre Mason, Auburn

5. Andre Williams, Boston College

Rise: Mason (5)

Fall: Williams (4)

Wide receiver

1. Sammy Watkins, Clemson

2. Mike Evans, Texas A&M

3. Marqise Lee, USC

4. Brandin Cooks, Oregon State

t5. Kelvin Benjamin, Florida State

t5. Jarvis Landry, LSU

t5. Odell Beckham, LSU

Tight end

1. Eric Ebron, North Carolina

2. Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington

3. Jace Amaro, Texas Tech

4. Troy Niklas, Notre Dame

5. C.J. Fiedorowicz, Iowa

Center

1. Marcus Martin, USC

2. Weston Richburg, Colorado State

3. Travis Swanson, Arkansas

4. Bryan Stork, Florida State

5. Gabe Ikard, Oklahoma

Guard

1. David Yankey, Stanford

2. Xavier Su'a-Filo, UCLA

3. Brandon Thomas, Clemson

4. Trai Turner, LSU

5. Gabe Jackson, Mississippi State

New entry: Thomas

Rise: Turner (5)

Fall: Jackson (3)

Out: Chris Watt, Notre Dame (4)

Offensive tackle

1. Greg Robinson, Auburn

2. Jake Matthews, Texas A&M

3. Taylor Lewan, Michigan

4. Zack Martin, Notre Dame

5. Joel Bitonio, Nevada

Defensive tackle

1. Aaron Donald, Pittsburgh

2. Timmy Jernigan, Florida State

3. Louis Nix, Notre Dame

4. Ra'Shede Hageman, Minnesota

5. Daniel McCullers, Tennessee

New entry: McCullers

Out: Kelcy Quarles, South Carolina (5)

Defensive end

1. Jadeveon Clowney, South Carolina

2. Kony Ealy, Missouri

3. Dee Ford, Auburn

4. Scott Crichton, Oregon State

5. Stephon Tuitt, Notre Dame

Outside linebacker

1. Khalil Mack, Buffalo

2. Anthony Barr, UCLA

3. Ryan Shazier, Ohio State

4. Trent Murphy, Stanford

5. Marcus Smith, Louisville

Inside linebacker

1. C.J. Mosley, Alabama

2. Chris Borland, Wisconsin

3. Shayne Skov, Stanford

4. Max Bullough, Michigan State

5. Preston Brown, Louisville

Cornerback

1. Darqueze Dennard, Michigan State

2. Kyle Fuller, Virginia Tech

3. Justin Gilbert, Oklahoma State

4. Bradley Roby, Ohio State

5. Jason Verrett, TCU

Rise: Fuller (3)

Fall: Gilbert (2)

Safety

1. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, Alabama

2. Calvin Pryor, Louisville

3. Jimmie Ward, Northern Illinois

4. Deone Bucannon, Washington State

5. Lamarcus Joyner, Florida State

Rise: Clinton-Dix (2)

Fall: Pryor (1)

I've decided I like Odell Beckham as the 3rd best WR. Over Lee, Cooks, and Benjamin. I dont think Landry is in the same tier. 

Cooks would be a perfect compliment to Decker.  Possession receiver and a burner.  If Cooks were there at 18 I would be sooooo tempted to pull the trigger.

I've decided I like Odell Beckham as the 3rd best WR. Over Lee, Cooks, and Benjamin. I dont think Landry is in the same tier. 

Benjamin shouldnt even be on the list.

KELVIN BENJAMIN, FLORIDA STATE

-Games Viewed: Duke, Boston College, NC State, Florida

-Catching Ability Score: -(.125)

Yep, Benjamin was really that bad.  It gets even uglier because the rest of his game is extremely flawed and forgettable, but I’ll try and stick to the topic at hand.  To start, Benjamin’s discipline is bad enough where at times it’s hard to argue that he cares out there.  He’s either careless or painfully unaware.

On one play here and there it might click for him, but the steps towards making catches easier just never connect for him.  He drops passes starting with focus issues, and the drops range all the way to not making a condemned effort.  Here are some examples of the usual lows and occasional highs you’ll find with him.

http-makeagif.com-media-3-26-2014-DVoKnI

Here’s a nice adjustment reaction from Benjamin that resulted in one of his only big flashes, a 2.5 point increase.  The confidence he had turning his head without turning his body at all really impressed me.

http-makeagif.com-media-3-25-2014-mSLQb2

I apologize for the poor quality and cutting I did for this GIF, but it still should be very visible that Benjamin willingly sits back on this pass despite clearly seeing the incoming defender, who deflects it into his teammate’s hands for an easy interception.  His discipline is also a major question here, as he doesn’t drive through the defender at the point of the catch even though he could have since he shifted his body weight.  He was bullied after making a crucial mistake, and it doesn’t get much worse than that.

Confidence in ability:  None.  For a receiver as incapable as Benjamin can prove to be at times without any sort of basis of skill in catching ability to fall back on, I don’t see how Benjamin miraculously turns it around.

Cooks would be a perfect compliment to Decker.  Possession receiver and a burner.  If Cooks were there at 18 I would be sooooo tempted to pull the trigger.

I do like cooks but he's just too small for me for a top 20 pick. Not that Beckham is much taller but at least he's 6 foot and can contest for more throws. Also, personally I am against the whole trying to find a "compliment" to current players. We should pick best player available. Either way though, I guess you are saying we need a speedster, I think Beckham fits under that category. He just also has other tools, which is why I would rather Beckham over Cooks. 

Benjamin shouldnt even be on the list.

Yea I think he's solely on the list because he has the size that gives him potential plus he had some big nationally televised games so that helps. But he def a boom-or-bust type player that is leaning towards bust (as far as a first round pick goes). The Mike Williams comparison RSJ made isnt bad. 

I do like cooks but he's just too small for me for a top 20 pick. Not that Beckham is much taller but at least he's 6 foot and can contest for more throws. Also, personally I am against the whole trying to find a "compliment" to current players. We should pick best player available. Either way though, I guess you are saying we need a speedster, I think Beckham fits under that category. He just also has other tools, which is why I would rather Beckham over Cooks. 

Yeah the thing with Cooks is there's a bunch of guys like that in every draft. Unless you're a Percy Harvin level freak...no reason to take a small receiver that early. 

Archived