Jets \ Colts -- Game Day Thread (Preseason Week One)

Maxman

You do know that Vick played exclusively against the 2nd team defense right?  I totally disagree with your unbiased line, it seems like you have your mind made about already about Vick. Reading into body language on a choppy telecast is a bit rough in my opinion. :)

Yeah, I had to chuckle when seeing the "any non biased assessment" line immediately followed by bullet points focusing on body language, where people were standing, and opinions being assigned to the players.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not that it's ever encouraging to see your team play mediocre, but a little context is needed: the offense didn't know what plays they would be running until the day before this game and the defense didn't scout the opposing team an ounce.  Until the third preseason game when a bit of work actually goes into it, it's hard to take much away from these things.  Just hope that Ivory and Nelson's injuries are minor and we come out of the next couple of games with the same relative health.

Most of the thread I was joking around. But regarding QBs I was dead serious. I think with the reports that Vick has outplayed Geno at times in camp and with how Vick looked tonight in comparison to Geno, it is absurd that there isn't a quarterback competition. And I think there is a chance that Rex isn't going to give Vick his fair shot at the gig because he's overly loyal to his quarterbacks. There is a strong likelihood, in my opinion, that Vick is the better quarterback between the two. Vick's arm is done but he still has his legs and that has always kept defenses honest. Geno doesn't have a fallback to get him by and I'm not impressed at all with what I saw tonight. Small sample? Absolutely. But at the very least Rex needs to wake the **** up.

And for what it is worth, I ******* hate Michael Vick. With a passion. But I got over it, let's win some games already.

Most of the thread I was joking around. But regarding QBs I was dead serious. I think with the reports that Vick has outplayed Geno at times in camp and with how Vick looked tonight in comparison to Geno, it is absurd that there isn't a quarterback competition. And I think there is a chance that Rex isn't going to give Vick his fair shot at the gig because he's overly loyal to his quarterbacks. There is a strong likelihood, in my opinion, that Vick is the better quarterback between the two. Vick's arm is done but he still has his legs and that has always kept defenses honest. Geno doesn't have a fallback to get him by and I'm not impressed at all with what I saw tonight. Small sample? Absolutely. But at the very least Rex needs to wake the **** up.

And for what it is worth, I ******* hate Michael Vick. With a passion. But I got over it, let's win some games already.

This makes no sense to me. Geno was Idzik's pick and Rex has a long-standing man-crush on Vick because of course he does. I think if anything, what's happening is that Idzik wants to ride the 23-year-old until and unless he proves he sucks rather than hand the reins to an underwhelming known quantity. I think if Rex had his druthers, he'd do the latter in a second.

You do know that Vick played exclusively against the 2nd team defense right?  I totally disagree with your unbiased line, it seems like you have your mind made about already about Vick. Reading into body language on a choppy telecast is a bit rough in my opinion. :)

is my mind made up?  well, it  these are just my impressions, nothing more.  i could be wrong hell i may be totally wrong.  but i think vick had more energy, and he played more smoothly.  he had a least one series with the 1st string o line, and while he was playing against the 2nd string defense, he had very little practise time -- just imagine how this would have come out if he had practised 50 / 50 reps with geno.  it seems seth walder of the daily news saw the same game i did, so i am not totally alone in this.  in the end, all i want is for the jets to win.  naturally i am not happy about vicks past, as i own a dog now, and have owned dogs all my life.  but he paid his debt and all that.  what i want is for the jets to finally knock the pats off their perch.  if geno can do this, fine.  but at this point, i dont think he is the one to take us there. maybe the next game will prove me wrong.  but if vick again outplays him... well.  the name of the game here is score touchdowns, something geno failed to do in his first outing.  for the jets' sake, i hope he improves.

This makes no sense to me. Geno was Idzik's pick and Rex has a long-standing man-crush on Vick because of course he does. I think if anything, what's happening is that Idzik wants to ride the 23-year-old until and unless he proves he sucks rather than hand the reins to an underwhelming known quantity. I think if Rex had his druthers, he'd do the latter in a second.

I dunno man, I watched the way he got so attached to Sanchez. I just think the dude has legit problems.

Lol do you even follow the Browns. I'm following all of the first round rookie qbs (except bortles) and Carr, and based off of last training camp Hoyer threw 2 picks while Manziel had a pretty good day. 

Following it closely enough to know they're pretty much not even calling it a competition.  Despite what one day stat you may have cherry picked.

This.

If Rex had full control Vick would be 100% starting. Rex has already gone on the record telling Geno he should scramble more...just like his old man with Randall. If that's why we want out of the position, Vick should start.

is my mind made up?  well, it  these are just my impressions, nothing more.  i could be wrong hell i may be totally wrong.  but i think vick had more energy, and he played more smoothly.  he had a least one series with the 1st string o line, and while he was playing against the 2nd string defense, he had very little practise time -- just imagine how this would have come out if he had practised 50 / 50 reps with geno.  it seems seth walder of the daily news saw the same game i did, so i am not totally alone in this.  in the end, all i want is for the jets to win.  naturally i am not happy about vicks past, as i own a dog now, and have owned dogs all my life.  but he paid his debt and all that.  what i want is for the jets to finally knock the pats off their perch.  if geno can do this, fine.  but at this point, i dont think he is the one to take us there. maybe the next game will prove me wrong.  but if vick again outplays him... well.  the name of the game here is score touchdowns, something geno failed to do in his first outing.  for the jets' sake, i hope he improves.

That is fair.  That is what I want, play whoever will win. All I want them to do is win.

Bottom line Jets 13 Colts 10 its a W

Wins and losses don't mean crap in pre-season.

What matters is no major injuries. Player got some real-time reps. That's it.

Another thing to note, as I sit here watching the replay on NFL Network... the new CBA limits the amount of hitting these guys can do in camp. A large part of this game, and the hiccups I'm seeing, is about these guys getting used to being hit again.

The Chris Johnson drop from Vick for instance. He's so obviously bracing for a hit, he drops the ball. No biggie that is the exact reason why they play these exhibitions.

Following it closely enough to know they're pretty much not even calling it a competition.  Despite what one day stat you may have cherry picked.

Obviously your not cause if anything Manziel is making up a lot of ground on Hoyer and honestly will most likely be starting week 1. The media has been sh*tting on Manziel a lot lately, I recommend you go visit the Barking Hard forums and go read the topics on the training camps their. You hate Manziel I get it, but to say its not even a competition is utterly dishonest and shows that you have absolutely no clue what your talking about.

Archived