Packers at Seahawks (merged)

JoeC36

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought ground, and pound, and great defense is a terrible plan in the modern day NFL?

Depends on the type of plays you call and when you call them. Seattle has been great with that for the past couple seasons. The Jets have done the same but their plays have been bland and predictable, probably because we didnt really have offensive playmakers to use like a Harvin or Lynch. This year could be different though, We dont have a Harvin but we certainly have Chris Johnson. 

Just look at that last TD by seattle by the fullback. Its the play calling that makes them so successful. Calling the right plays at the right time can also make players successful. 

Depends on the type of plays you call and when you call them. Seattle has been great with that for the past couple seasons. The Jets have done the same but their plays have been bland and predictable, probably because we didnt really have offensive playmakers to use like a Harvin or Lynch. This year could be different though, We dont have a Harvin but we certainly have Chris Johnson.

Word. There's a difference between what Seattle does in the running game and teams like the Jets who line up in the I-formation and try to run it through the A gap all game long.

I thought ground, and pound, and great defense is a terrible plan in the modern day NFL?

If ground and pound means scoring 36 points,  it doesn't really matter what you call it.   

When ground and pound means you need to win 13-10,  it doesn't usually work.   And thats how the Jets have been using the ground and pound for years.  Win 13-10.    It's also why thy struggle to be a 8-8 team every year and the Seahawks just won a super bowl.  The Seahawks have talent all over the place.

Word. There's a difference between what Seattle does in the running game and teams like the Jets who line up in the I-formation and try to run it through the A gap all game long.

I know they didn't win a Super Bowl, but that seemed to work for SF the last 2 years.

Just look at that last TD by seattle by the fullback. Its the play calling that makes them so successful. Calling the right plays at the right time can also make players successful.

I watched Seattle look horrible on offense last year a couple times VS good defenses, this Packer D is TURRIBLE!!!!

I know they didn't win a Super Bowl, but that seemed to work for SF the last 2 years.

I haven't seen enough of the 49ers to know, really. But watch what the Seahawks do with bringing Harvin through the formation, or running the counter trey, or starting the toss on the strong side and bringing back to the weak side. The opposing defensive line ends up so out of position that it becomes easy pickings for the interior OL.

Wxactly. We need that sense of unpredictability. Most importantly, we need success. What they did with Percy Harvin running that end around early allowed Lynch to run a muck midway through the game. It keeps the defense on edge and causes them to be more reactionary than instinctive which slows their first step and gives the offense confidence because the play calling allows the players to impose their will because they're being put in position to be successful. Shows the importance of a good offensive coordinator. 

I watched Seattle look horrible on offense last year a couple times VS good defenses, this Packer D is TURRIBLE!!!!

More often than not they're sharp, and I can say that with confidence over the past 2 seasons. This is the NFL and a team can have a bad game or simply not execute on that particular day, but the norm for them is dominance. 

Not afraid of these Packers at all. Our lines are going to have our way with them. 

CJ2K and Ivory are gonna ball. Great matchup for us. We'll get no respect if we kick their ass, but it doesn't matter. 

I'm hoping it will be as exciting a game as the last time we played GB. I was there for that one. Riveting stuff.

LOL. 

We hold them to 9 and we'll ALL be excited, trust me. And we'll manage to put up some points this time. 

I think it'll be tight early, then Cobb and Jordy Nelson will start to get loose in the second half. It's got 28-14 Pack written all over it. 

I think it'll be tight early, then Cobb and Jordy Nelson will start to get loose in the second half. It's got 28-14 Pack written all over it. 

I actually think we jump out early on them with the Chris's running train on them, and them probably making a comeback on penalties to make it a close one. Could go either way. 

Only shedding light on this because A lot of you said this can't work in today's NFL. So what you all really mean is this can work, but not the way the Jets did it? I am pretty sure MM would love to send Percy Harvin on 5 Jet Sweeps a game, or someone equivalent to him, but he just doesn't have someone in his class.

IMO I don't think it really matters how you do what the Hawks do, all that really matters is that you dominate up front on both sides of the ball, and have a QB who won't throw away the game, and even a bad play caller will look good.

Only shedding light on this because A lot of you said this can't work in today's NFL. So what you all really mean is this can work, but not the way the Jets did it? I am pretty sure MM would love to send Percy Harvin on 5 Jet Sweeps a game, or someone equivalent to him, but he just doesn't have someone in his class.

IMO I don't think it really matters how you do what the Hawks do, all that really matters is that you dominate up front on both sides of the ball, and have a QB who won't throw away the game, and even a bad play caller will look good.

They scored like 26+ points a game last year,   they scored over 40 points in the Super Bowl.  They scored 36 points tonight.  

They have a balanced attack and a QB who can throw TDs.    Wilson has 52 TDs and 19 INTs in his first two seasons in the NFL.   Think about that for a moment.  When your QB averages 26 TDs a year and only throws about 9 INTs,  thats a pretty damn good QB. That's not just a guy managing the game.  Yeah he doesn't need to be Rodgers or Manning or Brady.   But any QB who has 52 TDS passing in his first two seasons is pretty damn good.   Dismissing that is ridiculous. 

It's one thing if Wilson had 15 TDs and 10 INTs and just had to manage games.  It's another story when a young QB has played better than many veteran QBs.   

They scored like 26+ points a game last year,   they scored over 40 points in the Super Bowl.  They scored 36 points tonight.  

They have a balanced attack and a QB who can throw TDs.    Wilson has 52 TDs and 19 INTs in his first two seasons in the NFL.   Think about that for a moment.  When your QB averages 26 TDs a year and only throws about 9 INTs,  thats a pretty damn good QB. That's not just a guy managing the game.  Yeah he doesn't need to be Rodgers or Manning or Brady.   But any QB who has 52 TDS passing in his first two seasons is pretty damn good.   Dismissing that is ridiculous. 

It's one thing if Wilson had 15 TDs and 10 INTs and just had to manage games.  It's another story when a young QB has played better than many veteran QBs.

Peyton Manning had 51 last year alone. sh*t M Sanchez threw for 26 TD's in 2011 (half of Wilson's total). Wilson is a blossoming star there is no doubt, but his D, and run game help him more than he wins for them.

Archived