JN present for Rex Ryan fan blog conference

AFJF

JN Just had the opportunity to ask Rex a few questions on a conference call with some other fan sites and it went well.

JN asked Rex about a variety of topics to include:

-Chris Johnson being utilized in the screen game

-Creating mismatches w/ the TE's

-Sudfeld as a RZ target

-Decision to keep TJ Barnes on an already deep D-line

-Progress of Jalen Saunders

-Likelihood of Adams and McFadden playing this Sunday

Here is the audio:  https://soundcloud.com/snyjets/rex-ryan-conference-call-with-bloggers

Sorry that took a minute...here it is:

JN: With Marty's history of heavily utilizing the screen game in Philadelphia, how much do you expect Chris Johnson to be utilized in this way. We all know about his ability to run the ball but he's can be such a weapon catching the ball out of the backfield as well.  How much might we see CJ used this way?

RR: Obviously not going to say for sure just how much, but you're right, having a guy with his talent presents some different things becuase if he catches one he can take one to the house.  All three of those guys can catch the ball and that's good because it slows down the pass rush.  The other thing is the wide receiver screen and we'll look to use that too.

JN: How have Adams and McFadden looked and will we see any of them this weekend?

RR: We hope we don't' have to play 'em.  That's no slight on them but they just got here.  There's some familiarity with McFadden being in Cleveland with Mike Pettine, so you prefer you don't have to play them for an extended periiod.  Obviously if they have to they will, especially Adams, I like him.  He's an aggressive kid and the way they play in Seattle so that's a welcome thing.

JN: I think a lot of fans like the mismatches you should be able to create with Amaro's size and Cumberland's speed at TE, can you talk about what you guys might be able to do.

RR: It's funny because we have three guys who are outstanding receiving TE's and some decent blockers too.  With Cumberland you mentioned his speed and he ran a 4.4 when he came out, I don't know if he's that fast now but he can still run.  Obviously Jace is a giant and he can run.  Sudfeld is the other tight end we don't talk a lot about but he's 6' 7'' and he runs good routes and can catch the football so we have three guys, we're blessed to have three guys at that position.

JN: Is Sudfeld a guy who might get used primarily in the red zone with that height advantage over the 'backers and safeties that'll be trying to cover him.

RR: That's certainly a possibility but he's a guy we could probably use in all down in distances.  All three of those guys can play, but you're right, even when he was in New England I think he had four or five touchdowns so he's definitely a red zone threat.

-How has Jalen Saunders looked coach?  With all the time he missed up in Cortland but he's a full go now, how has he been looking in practice?

RR: Well, he's okay you can tell that he hasn't had the work that some of the other guys have had.  It's still a work in progress but he does have that unusual quickness that he can separate quickly.  He's been working a lot on the punt return and the arrow is up on him but he's not as far along as maybe we had hoped.

JN:  The front-7 coach, everyone talks about how it's the strength of your team and how it's not an easy group to crack.  Second year man TJ Barnes surprised some people  by making the final 53, what did he do to catch your eye and make the roster.

RR: Well, he's an impossible guy not to catch your eye.  He's 6' 7'', 370 pounds but he's a man too.  We put him on our practice squad last year and his development has been tremendous.  Karl Dunbar is an outstanding coach and TJ just took to him.  His technique has come a long way. The thing I always liked about TJ is he's a huge man but he plays hard.  Guys who are that big who play hard are hard to find and they're gonna' be around a long time.  There's no way, if we would have put him out there, he would have been picked up becuase probably 31 other teams would have claimed him.

-

Good stuff.  Glad to hear he's excited about Adams.

TJ Barnes is 6'7 370lbs.  Thats just ******* insane.

I think he was listed at 370 out of college and has supposedly dropped 20 lbs.  Either way...dude is a specimen.  

JN Just had the opportunity to ask Rex a few questions on a conference call with some other fan sites and it went well.

JN asked Rex about a variety of topics to include:

-Chris Johnson being utilized in the screen game

-Creating mismatches w/ the TE's

-Sudfeld as a RZ target

-Decision to keep TJ Barnes on an already deep D-line

-Progress of Jalen Saunders

-Likelihood of Adams and McFadden playing this Sunday

Glenn you did a great job, thank you so much!  

Glad you guys enjoyed it.  Other than flubbing the first question.  I was just going to ask about CJ in the screen game as a whole, when I realized they probably wanted match-up specific questions I added "against Oakland" and I could tell Rex thought I was pretty much asking him to share the game plan with him so he thought I was a schmuck.  It went okay after that.

You do a good job with this stuff, Glenn. Phil lucked out.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I just keep thinking of the old line, sometimes it is better to be lucky than good. That is exactly what happened here. Glenn is doing great.

Glad you guys enjoyed it.  Other than flubbing the first question.  I was just going to ask about CJ in the screen game as a whole, when I realized they probably wanted match-up specific questions I added "against Oakland" and I could tell Rex thought I was pretty much asking him to share the game plan with him so he thought I was a schmuck.  It went okay after that.

I will get the audio up as well Glenn, thanks.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I just keep thinking of the old line, sometimes it is better to be lucky than good. That is exactly what happened here. Glenn is doing great.

You kiddin' me?  I love this place, just glad I can chip in a little bit.

Archived