Woody Johnson says Rex Ryan will be evaluated after season

slats

the HC is an executive.  they need an executive.  cold hearted assassin.  don't care where they get him

Can't argue with that. Problem is that Woody is not an executive, so he's not a good judge of who that person should be. We don't need another Mangina. 

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't argue with that. Problem is that Woody is not an executive, so he's not a good judge of who that person should be. We don't need another Mangina. 

agreed, which is why he hired a firm to find idzik. 

sigh

So, Rex is gone...Who do we want and who do we target?

Someone from Seattle's staff?

I bet college HC.   I don't see woody having the guts to wait until seattle is done with the playoffs.  that's bevells problem.  availabaility

I agree. If we are replacing Rex...and that is a big if, I would WHOLEHEARTEDLY support Harbaugh.

I bet college HC.   I don't see woody having the guts to wait until seattle is done with the playoffs.  that's bevells problem.  availabaility

In their history, the Jets have rarely gone for the experienced head coach. While that model has given the team two of its worst coaches (Holtz, Kotite), it's also given them their two most successful coaches (Ewbank, Parcells). Rex was a step in the right direction after three straight coaches who weren't even qualified at the coordinator level, but the next coaching change, I think I'd be focused on bringing in a guy who's run the whole show before.

So a guy like Harbaugh, or a college coach ready for a new challenge. I'd be much happier with that than breaking in the latest hot coordinator (or less) again. It also better fits Woody's desire for a splash.

Woody should have let Idzik decide on his coach from day one.  Maybe he did. I think not.  If this comes down to Idzik using 2 years to run Rex out of town then that is on Woody.  I don't think it is, though.  I do think that they have a clash of philosophy over what the best defense would be, though.  I am sure Idzik does not want significant salary cap space to go to CBs.  he has pretty much proven that.

In their history, the Jets have rarely gone for the experienced head coach. While that model has given the team two of its worst coaches (Holtz, Kotite), it's also given them their two most successful coaches (Ewbank, Parcells). Rex was a step in the right direction after three straight coaches who weren't even qualified at the coordinator level, but the next coaching change, I think I'd be focused on bringing in a guy who's run the whole show before.

So a guy like Harbaugh, or a college coach ready for a new challenge. I'd be much happier with that than breaking in the latest hot coordinator (or less) again. It also better fits Woody's desire for a splash.

I think it depends on what he plans on doing with Idzik. If he's still on board Bevell makes the most sense, but if not I could legit see Woody overestimating himself and finally bowing to Cowher or (mother****ing) Gruden. Don't forget Woody was big on Cowher not too long ago, and the main impediment was that he didn't want to say goodbye to Tannenbaum.

I can see the latter being the case. Woody thinks he knows football and with the backlash against Rex and Idzik, Woody will probably think he's the man for the job. In other words, we are screwed.

I think it depends on what he plans on doing with Idzik. If he's still on board Bevell makes the most sense, but if not I could legit see Woody overestimating himself and finally bowing to Cowher or (mother****ing) Gruden. Don't forget Woody was big on Cowher not too long ago, and the main impediment was that he didn't want to say goodbye to Tannenbaum.

I can see the latter being the case. Woody thinks he knows football and with the backlash against Rex and Idzik, Woody will probably think he's the man for the job. In other words, we are screwed.

I could see this too. What we desperately need is an executive who has total control and total responsiblity. Of course, that doesn't sell newspapers, so instead Woody will throw half his inheritance at some retread coach and give him total control. FML.

I could see this too. What we desperately need is an executive who has total control and total responsiblity. Of course, that doesn't sell newspapers, so instead Woody will throw half his inheritance at some retread coach and give him total control. FML.

IMO we're in Knicks territory with him. He's an owner that knows dick about the sport but thinks he does and thinks he can be of help in the day-to-day operations. He has forced previous incompetent staff on new staff multiple times, and now you've got him coming out essentially guaranteeing Rex's job for the rest of the year. Couple that with the bizarre ebbs and flows of coaching and coordinator changes since the early 2000s, a pair of really gross sex stories, a culture of buffoonery...etc. So far as I can tell the only difference between the two is that Woody wants to buy a political career while Dolan just wants a job opening for Don Henley.

Parcells.jpg

IMO we're in Knicks territory with him. He's an owner that knows dick about the sport but thinks he does and thinks he can be of help in the day-to-day operations. He has forced previous incompetent staff on new staff multiple times, and now you've got him coming out essentially guaranteeing Rex's job for the rest of the year. Couple that with the bizarre ebbs and flows of coaching and coordinator changes since the early 2000s, a pair of really gross sex stories, a culture of buffoonery...etc. So far as I can tell the only difference between the two is that Woody wants to buy a political career while Dolan just wants a job opening for Don Henley.

Been saying it for years--he needs to hire a Football Ops man, and that football ops man has to have the juice to dig a moat around the facility to keep Woody and his cronies out.

Been saying it for years--he needs to hire a Football Ops man, and that football ops man has to have the juice to dig a moat around the facility to keep Woody and his cronies out.

Never going to happen. Woody is riding this cash cow for all he can and he has no desire to make a difficult decision with someone as polar as Rex Ryan.

Never going to happen. Woody is riding this cash cow for all he can and he has no desire to make a difficult decision with someone as polar as Rex Ryan.

I don't think a Manish Mehta Twitter poll is going to save Rex this year. As dumb as the JetsTwitter mob is, I don't think they're dumb enough to circle the wagons again. I do, however, think Woody is stupid enough to check with Twitter before firing him.

I don't think a Manish Mehta Twitter poll is going to save Rex this year. As dumb as the JetsTwitter mob is, I don't think they're dumb enough to circle the wagons again. I do, however, think Woody is stupid enough to check with Twitter before firing him.

I would feel comfortable betting that Woody himself reads this site

Why is Woody doing a press conference? Apart from JJ in Dallas, most owners stay away from press conferences unless one of their players does something very bad.

Why is the owner of the team doing a press conference?

so woody should hire a guy that will tell him to go **** off

ok

so woody should hire a guy that will tell him to go **** off

ok

I would put it a different way....

Woody should hire a guy who Woody, is even smart enough to realize, has so much more football intelligence than he, that it would be comical to interject his no nothing football thoughts on this guy.

I would put it a different way....

Woody should hire a guy who Woody, is even smart enough to realize, has so much more football intelligence than he, that it would be comical to interject his no nothing football thoughts on this guy.

what type of background does this creature have ?

Archived