Jets place Winters on IR Sign OL Wesley Johnson

jetsrule128

I think that seeing what we have in Aboushi is a good thing. If Aboushi is similar to WInters (a bad NFL guard) Idzik has a chance.  If he is a big downgrade, lump him in with Saunders, and Patterson, as reasons to be very scared at the prospect of Idzik getting another draft. 

It seems like after round 2 we pigeon hole the position we're going to take. The spot where we took Saunders they were hoping for Brown(Cardinals) to be there.

I dont know if this is common league wide, but it's definitely how we ended up with Saunders. Cutting a KR you drafted that high is inexcusable. We needed Saunders to be good right away.

It seems like after round 2 we pigeon hole the position we're going to take. The spot where we took Saunders they were hoping for Brown(Cardinals) to be there.

I dont know if this is common league wide, but it's definitely how we ended up with Saunders. Cutting a KR you drafted that high is inexcusable. We needed Saunders to be good right away.

I thought they were doing the whole shotgun approach thing at WR this year and G last year. It is fine to load up on a position and hope you hit, but the choices have been head scratchers.  I gave them the benefit of the doubt, but if they really expected Saunders to be a return man and nothing else, it was kind of a stupid pick even if he was good.  We needed a WR, signed 2, picked 3 and ended up with one.  Last year we needed a G, drafted 3, signed 2 FAs and got 1 1/2.  

I thought they were doing the whole shotgun approach thing at WR this year and G last year. It is fine to load up on a position and hope you hit, but the choices have been head scratchers.  I gave them the benefit of the doubt, but if they really expected Saunders to be a return man and nothing else, it was kind of a stupid pick even if he was good.  We needed a WR, signed 2, picked 3 and ended up with one.  Last year we needed a G, drafted 3, signed 2 FAs and got 1 1/2.  

Having nobodies return kicks who cant stop turning it over annoys me more than any other oversight this front office made this offseason. It makes us look like a JV team. You have to have a professional level player catching punts.

Having nobodies return kicks who cant stop turning it over annoys me more than any other oversight this front office made this offseason. It makes us look like a JV team. You have to have a professional level player catching punts.

The funny thing is that the play that led them to bench Saunders was the one that I considered giving him a pass on.  It seemed like it got tipped and was a bit difficult.  

PS:  I knew you would respond, but expected more of a "Brian WInters is not an NFL player" response.  

The funny thing is that the play that led them to bench Saunders was the one that I considered giving him a pass on.  It seemed like it got tipped and was a bit difficult.  

PS:  I knew you would respond, but expected more of a "Brian WInters is not an NFL player" response.  

Winters is awful, but he'll stick around as a backup. Guys who I pointed out werent NFL players turned out to be non NFL players. Gholston and Hill were those guys.

From Draft Insider.net:

Height: 6-5.5
eight: 297
40: 5.13
Year: 5Sr

Wesley Johnson
School: Vanderbilt
Position: C
Positive: Four-year starter awarded all-conference honors as a senior. Lined up at left tackle, center, and guard for Vanderbilt. Versatile position blocker who plays with a nasty attitude. Makes good use of angles, stays square, and keeps the defender in front of him. Keeps his head on a swivel, shows good vision, and works well with teammates. Patient in pass protection, effectively gets his hands into defenders, and controls them at the point of attack. Blocks with good lean, displays quickness, and plays through the whistle.
Negative: Lacks footwork sliding out off the edge and the overall lateral range needed to play left tackle. Does not possess the dominant base and gets pushed back off the line. Beaten by speedy edge rushers.
Analysis: Johnson was durable and versatile at Vanderbilt, and he finished his career at the all-important left tackle position. Better off inside, his NFL career could hinge on his ability to play the center position.

Classic Idzik... Sign nobodies and hope they turn into somebodies. You would think injuries to key players would motivate him to sign someone decent, but nope.

'14 5th round pick of Steelers. Far from a nobody.

DRAFT PROJECTION Rounds 4-5

BOTTOM LINE Experienced, intelligent, competitive, athletic, strength-deficient zone blocker. Has everything you want intangibly and has developmental value, but has to make significant strength gains and perfect his technique to survive against longer, more powerful NFL defensive ends. Has worked out as a center in the spring and might be most natural inside.

Just a guess, but I suspect they thought they could turn him into a slot receiver and avoid paying Kerley next year.

As it turned out he had nothing

Jets place Brian Winters on injured reserve; sign offensive lineman Wesley Johnson

Dom Cosentino | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com By Dom Cosentino | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Email the author | Follow on Twitter

on October 13, 2014 at 6:11 PM, updated October 13, 2014 at 6:28 PM

FLORHAM PARK -- In another move that was easy to see coming on Monday, the Jets placed left guard Brian Winters on season-ending injured reserve. Winters had injured a knee in Sunday's loss to the Broncos. A team spokesman confirmed the injury was a torn ACL.

Head coach Rex Ryan had suggested earlier Monday that Winters would be out for the season. To replace Winters spot on the 53-man roster, the Jets claimed interior offensive lineman Wesley Johnson off waivers from the Steelers.

Oday Aboushi, a fifth-round pick last year, is expected to take Winters's place as a starter. He and Winters had split a lot of the reps back in training camp.

Right guard Willie Colon, who missed the 2010 season and all but one game in 2011 with the Steelers because of injuries, felt bad for Winters.

"It’s tough," Colon said. "It’s personally tough for me because me and Brian trained together this summer [in Arizona]. He’s like my little brother. Obviously, I’ve been through my injury-plagued seasons. So I kind of know where his head is at. Oday is more than ready. He’s going to step in and do a great job for us."

Winters had been struggling this season. Pro Football Focus ranked him 71st out of 74 guards across the league this season. Now the Jets have to transition in Aboushi—and on a short week: They play the Patriots on the road Thursday night.

"Luckily, we were able to get some good work in this spring, and we were able to rotate some guys around," center Nick Mangold said. "So we have a base to it. It's going to take a little bit more effort and everything to get on the same page with communication, all the little things. But that's what this week is for. We've got to get that done, and we've got to get that done in a hurry."

The 6-foot-5, 295-pound Johnson was picked by the Steelers in the fifth round out of Vanderbilt back in the spring. He was waived Saturday. Johnson has not played an NFL snap.

Archived