Rex Ryan: Pryor not living up to expectations

Freemanm

They stopped drafting Pro Bowlers when Mangini left.

True, then Rex did a horrible job shopping for the groceries. Then Idzik claims he will be the shopper and does just as bad if not worse. So it kind of points to either getting a new scouting department to help Idzik or open up the checkbook for free agents again.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True, then Rex did a horrible job shopping for the groceries. Then Idzik claims he will be the shopper and does just as bad if not worse. So it kind of points to either getting a new scouting department to help Idzik or open up the checkbook for free agents again.

I think it's more likely the groceries aren't getting the coaching they need because the coach wants to be everyone's favorite frat bro.

I think it's more likely the groceries aren't getting the coaching they need because the coach wants to be everyone's favorite frat bro.

I don't see that being the case really. If guys were leaving here and being more productive on other teams, I would buy into this more. I don't see that happening though. It's actually been the opposite.

Who leaves here? It's a jobs-for-life community.

You can make the case that some offensive guys have left and been productive elsewhere. That is certainly an issue. But not on defense. Revis, Landry, Cro, Lyle, Pouha. I'm sure im missing some here. But all these guys played their best football under Rex.

Apparently you missed the way he totally laid David Harris the **** out.

The biggest hit of the year was Chris Ivory knocking Von Miller into the fifth dimension.  Dude's legs were lime flavored jello and he saw flies buzzing around his head.  Awesome!

You can make the case that some offensive guys have left and been productive elsewhere. That is certainly an issue. But not on defense. Revis, Landry, Cro, Lyle, Pouha. I'm sure im missing some here. But all these guys played their best football under Rex.

Revis and Cromartie were both Pro-Bowlers pre-Rex. Cro was an All-Pro. Pouts retired with a back injury. Laron Landry stayed on the field for a contract drive. Doesn't change that fact that Rex's record with young players has been abysmal.

I don't think Rex has had offensive players to lose for them to have succes elsewhere. Woody, Faneca, Moore, TRich, Edwards, LT, Keller, TJones, are all out of league. Holmes, Sanchez, Greene, Cotch, Smith, Leon all suck. Woodhead I guess. Rex ruined them all.

Revis and Cromartie were both Pro-Bowlers pre-Rex. Cro was an All-Pro. Pouts retired with a back injury. Laron Landry stayed on the field for a contract drive. Doesn't change that fact that Rex's record with young players has been abysmal.

SD couldn't get rid of Cro fast enough. Revis in no way ever played better pre or post Rex.

I don't think Rex has had offensive players to lose for them to have succes elsewhere. Woody, Faneca, Moore, TRich, Edwards, LT, Keller, TJones, are all out of league. Holmes, Sanchez, Greene, Cotch, Smith, Leon all suck. Woodhead I guess. Rex ruined them all.

Yeah Woodhead and I guess the guard in SF. Too lazy to look up his name. I agree though. Not a lot to work with here. Braylon couldn't catch a cold other than his time with Rex, and one other isolated season.

SD couldn't get rid of Cro fast enough. Revis in no way ever played better pre or post Rex.

Revis was 23 and had two good knees when Rex had him. San Diego dumped Cro because he was a headcase. There's a nice passage in Collision Low Crossers that details how Cro wasn't challenged here to play physical at all, and he was getting paid top dollar. He was also a bottom-five corner last season.

Yeah Woodhead and I guess the guard in SF. Too lazy to look up his name. I agree though. Not a lot to work with here. Braylon couldn't catch a cold other than his time with Rex, and one other isolated season.

Braylon had 80/1280/16 TDs in 2007, with Derek Anderson as his QB.

Revis was 23 and had two good knees when Rex had him. San Diego dumped Cro because he was a headcase. There's a nice passage in Collision Low Crossers that details how Cro wasn't challenged here to play physical at all, and he was getting paid top dollar. He was also a bottom-five corner last season.

Cro was hurt last year. And playing physical isn't a requirement in man to man defense. Deion Sanders wasn't physical. Maybe it is a requirement in years like last year when Seattles DBs mugged their way to a Super Bowl - but not normally. Mangini had Revis too, love Mangini - but Rex got more out of him.

Braylon had 80/1280/16 TDs in 2007, with Derek Anderson as his QB.

I said one isolated year. You can't have it both ways. Can't say he gets no credit for Revis because he had him at 24, then give him no credit for rejuvenating the career of Braylon, who definitely had bad knees.

Rex had the best D in the league the year before Cro. That team was a bunch of Jags and Rex created Revis Island who wasnt near the player before or after Rex. He also lost his best player, Kris Jenkins. At the time, our friend Tom thought it was the best coaching job he's ever seen.

No player from those D's have done sh*t elsewhere or they're retired.

Cro was hurt last year. And playing physical isn't a requirement in man to man defense. Deion Sanders wasn't physical. Maybe it is a requirement in years like last year when Seattles DBs mugged their way to a Super Bowl - but not normally. Mangini had Revis too, love Mangini - but Rex got more out of him.

This is the passage.

During the 2010 season, Cromartie was at times an excellent Jets cornerback. He was also prone to strange lapses in coverage, especially when he played off the line of scrimmage.

It was difficult for the coaches watching film to understand his tendency to drop back several yards before the snap, which allowed receivers free release, since Cromartie’s long arms gave him excellent leverage to control his opponents at the line, diverting them before they set off on their pass routes. That somebody could be so good at something and yet so resistant to doing it that he exposed himself to public failure baffled the coaches.

You could find very few instances on NFL film when a defensive player avoided contact. You had to look to other sports to find an analogue. As Sutton said, “Cro’s like an NBA player who hates to play defense.” After watching film of Cromartie ducking a tackle, just as he’d done as a Charger, the coaches, thunderstruck, would say things like “He’d already made his one for the day” and “Cro is a visual deterrent!” In the winter of 2011, Cro was a free agent, and the coaches were ambivalent. They wanted Tannenbaum to sign him back, and at the same time, they dreaded it.

Rex had the best D in the league the year before Cro. That team was a bunch of Jags and Rex created Revis Island who wasnt near the player before or after Rex. He also lost his best player, Kris Jenkins. At the time, our friend Tom thought it was the best coaching job he's ever seen.

Then what happened?

I said one isolated year. You can't have it both ways. Can't say he gets no credit for Revis because he had him at 24, then give him no credit for rejuvenating the career of Braylon, who definitely had bad knees.

I didn't say I was giving him no credit for Revis. I was just pointing out that having a Pro bowl caliber player at 23 is better than having that same player at 29 after ACL surgery.

You're being silly. That one year with Derek Anderson accurately portrays his career in the league prior to and post Rex, never mind injuries.

No other human being on earth could generate pass rush with that group of jags. The problem with Rex is he should be told the draft is being held in Siberia and sent there during that weekend. Idzik though is on record saying that these are his drafts.

Lol your Rex arguments get weaker and weaker with every post you make!   Your like McCarthyism!

Are you trying to tell me he played better the year before in SD? And you are leaving out 2011, his best year in the NFL.

No, but you're crediting Rex with getting something out of guys who were already established NFL players, which he did by buddying up to them and letting them rule the roost.

What player left and went on to greater success? I'll put down the I pad and wait for your response.

Who left? Just about every draft pick pre-Idzik had the luxury of playing through their entire rookie deals. By the time they left, that was the end anyway. Shonn Greene?

Archived