4-3

SonnyJet

People are saying the switch to the 4-3 would be essentially for QC, but Sheldon Richardson in the 3 technique would be great for our weak secondary. I doubt we will be able to fix it in one offseason especially with our scouts and Gm. Richardson should be able to get at least 11 sacks. Mo can play any position on the line and him at the D-end wouldnt diminish his big play ability either.

I'm fine with whatever...modern NFL shows multiple looks all the time anyway.

Coples another frustrating player. He gets one more year?

Harris has to go. Like him but too slow. And definitely waaaay too slow for a 4-3 base look, IMO.

Our LBs need a complete overhaul. They suck.

The nucleus of talent on our defense all fits well in a 4-3 defense.

LDE - Big Mo

RDE - Coples

DT - Snacks

3 Technique - Richardson

Put Davis at MLB (he has the speed for it), and use Milliner, McDougal, Pryor, and Allen in zone coverage.

All we need are two speedy OLBs.

The nucleus of talent on our defense all fits well in a 4-3 defense.

LDE - Big Mo

RDE - Coples

DT - Snacks

3 Technique - Richardson

Put Davis at MLB (he has the speed for it), and use Milliner, McDougal, Pryor, and Allen in zone coverage.

All we need are two speedy OLBs.

Can't rely on Milliner and McDougle at all. Neither had proven anything before each of their respective, serious, leg injuries. They need to do the spending they didn't do last offseason on at least one quality, starting CB. And like you say, they really only have one 4-3 type LB on the roster in Davis.

They need players just to get back to a serviceable 3-4. Two speedy starting LBs in one offseason might be asking a bit much.

Can't rely on Milliner and McDougle at all. Neither had proven anything before each of their respective, serious, leg injuries. They need to do the spending they didn't do last offseason on at least one quality, starting CB. And like you say, they really only have one 4-3 type LB on the roster in Davis.

They need players just to get back to a serviceable 3-4. Two speedy starting LBs in one offseason might be asking a bit much.

Well, the good news is that they don't have any 3-4 linebackers, either, so it'll be easy shopping.

The 3-4 is just an awful scheme unless you have at least 2 stud CBs who can play out on an island (maybe 7 or 8 of which exist in the NFL at a given time), and stud OLBs who can both adequately rush the passer and drop into coverage. Since we have neither, it would actually be far easier to make the transition to a 4-3 than trying to resurrect a 'serviceable' 3-4. Not to mention being able to get sufficient pressure with a 4 man front without needing to rely on 'Rexotic' blitzes will help our weak back 7 by not constantly exposing them.

In a 4-3, Coples would play LDE, Mo and Sheldon would be the interior DTs, and we'd need to either sign or draft a RDE (if the Giants don't re-sign him, I'd consider JPP if he isn't prohibitively expensive and hope that he could somewhat return to his earlier form). I'd let Harrison (as good as he's been) and Ellis walk, since both are 3-4 NTs and have no place in a 4-3 (besides, we'd likely get a fairly high comp pick for Snacks).

Davis would be fine at MLB, we'd just need to sign or draft a starting SLB and WLB.

The 3-4 is just an awful scheme unless you have at least 2 stud CBs who can play out on an island (maybe 7 or 8 of which exist in the NFL at a given time), and stud OLBs who can both adequately rush the passer and drop into coverage. Since we have neither, it would actually be far easier to make the transition to a 4-3 than trying to resurrect a 'serviceable' 3-4. Not to mention being able to get sufficient pressure with a 4 man front without needing to rely on 'Rexotic' blitzes will help our weak back 7 by not constantly exposing them.

In a 4-3, Coples would play LDE, Mo and Sheldon would be the interior DTs, and we'd need to either sign or draft a RDE (if the Giants don't re-sign him, I'd consider JPP if he isn't prohibitively expensive and hope that he could somewhat return to his earlier form). I'd let Harrison (as good as he's been) and Ellis walk, since both are 3-4 NTs and have no place in a 4-3 (besides, we'd likely get a fairly high comp pick for Snacks).

Davis would be fine at MLB, we'd just need to sign or draft a starting SLB and WLB.

The team needs two starting CBs no matter whether they go 3-4 or 4-3 next season.

Don't really buy your assessment of the 3-4, though. Lots of teams run it without shutdown CBs. You can still run a zone from a 3-4 (something Rex is more willing to do against Brady or Manning than he is the rest of the league), you're not required to run man coverage. Whether you're in the 3-4 or 4-3, your base pass rush will be four guys - it's just that in the 3-4, it's not as clear who the forth one will be. That's not all that exotic, and I kinda like that about the scheme. The 3-4 is also generally better against the run which is still a factor in today's passing league.

I really don't care which defense they run next year, I just think they're a little further away from making the transition to the 4-3. Lots of other needs on this team already without creating new ones. I'd be focusing on those needs first. If they bring in the offensive minded head coach that most people are hoping for, I think he'd be better served bringing in a guy who's comfortable with either scheme as his DC.

4-3 as the base defense should also do a lot for Mo.  This guy does a lot of the dirty work -- if he had consistently played as a normal 4-3 DE his sacks/hits would be off the charts.

Mo's too slow and heavy to play DE in a 4-3. Our best play would be to move him and Sheldon inside and have them play as interior DTs in a 4-3.

Mo's too slow and heavy to play DE in a 4-3. Our best play would be to move him and Sheldon inside and have them play as interior DTs in a 4-3.

You still need a NT in the 4-3. The NT in the 4-3 commands a double team, leaving your 3 technique one on one. Mo can slide inside on passing downs - but you can't play him and Sheldon at DT on run downs. Not unless you want to watch a Herm Edwards 4-3 all over again.

I would like to see them move to a 4-3 too. The hardest part in running a 4-3 is finding the 3 technique and the Jets actually have one. I think for the time being Harris would be ok in the middle with Davis at SLB. Babin, IK and Coples can platoon at DE. Mo can slide inside on passing downs. I think it would work very well.

You still need a NT in the 4-3. The NT in the 4-3 commands a double team, leaving your 3 technique one on one. Mo can slide inside on passing downs - but you can't play him and Sheldon at DT on run downs. Not unless you want to watch a Herm Edwards 4-3 all over again.

Teams like Detroit and Tampa seem to run a 4-3 just fine without having a mammoth 350lb NT, just as those Giants teams that beat NE in the SB did. I don't see why Mo and Sheldon can't play the inside like, say, Suh and Fairley do in Detroit. Mo could easily command a double team on his own.

In any event, Mo's still way too big and slow to play 4-3 DE. I also don't want to give Harrison the kind of contract he'll likely command, since frankly I don't trust his knees holding up.

I would like to see them move to a 4-3 too. The hardest part in running a 4-3 is finding the 3 technique and the Jets actually have one. I think for the time being Harris would be ok in the middle with Davis at SLB. Babin, IK and Coples can platoon at DE. Mo can slide inside on passing downs. I think it would work very well.

Harris is WAY too slow to play sideline to sideline. Davis is the only one on the roster capable of starting at MLB (I actually think Davis could play any LB position in a 4-3). I'd probably just cut Harris at this point and look to go younger at the LB position.

Teams like Detroit and Tampa seem to run a 4-3 just fine without having a mammoth 350lb NT, just as those Giants teams that beat NE in the SB did. I don't see why Mo and Sheldon can't play the inside like, say, Suh and Fairley do in Detroit. Mo could easily command a double team on his own.

In any event, Mo's still way too big and slow to play 4-3 DE. I also don't want to give Harrison the kind of contract he'll likely command, since frankly I don't trust his knees holding up.

Harris is WAY too slow to play sideline to sideline. Davis is the only one on the roster capable of starting at MLB (I actually think Davis could play any LB position in a 4-3). I'd probably just cut Harris at this point and look to go younger at the LB position.

Suh is a NT. Fairly is the 3 technique. Forget who the Giants had - but he was a decent one. Tampa had a good one too, Carolina had Kris Jenkins.

Suh is a NT. Fairly is the 3 technique. Forget who the Giants had - but he was a decent one. Tampa had a good one too, Carolina had Kris Jenkins.

I don't see why Mo can't play the Suh role here in a 4-3.

Anyway, my point was that we don't need to keep these 350lbers like Ellis and Harrison who are exclusively 3-4 NTs if we're making the switch over to a 4-3. Especially Snacks with the $ he'll command.

I don't see why Mo can't play the Suh role here in a 4-3.

Anyway, my point was that we don't need to keep these 350lbers like Ellis and Harrison who are exclusively 3-4 NTs if we're making the switch over to a 4-3. Especially Snacks with the $ he'll command.

Suh is a totally different player than Mo is. Mo could play the 3 technique. But not the NT position on an every down basis. A 3-4 NT and 4-3 NT is a similar position. The 4-3 NT lin s up on the outside shoulder of the center, takes on the double team and stops the run. Does that sound like a role you want your best pass rusher in?

As far as paying Harrison goes, eventually we are going to have to pay to keep good players. The offset to that is drafting well and finding solid free agent contributors. Something the jets have not b the n very good at lately.

Suh is a totally different player than Mo is. Mo could play the 3 technique. But not the NT position on an every down basis. A 3-4 NT and 4-3 NT is a similar position. The 4-3 NT lin s up on the outside shoulder of the center, takes on the double team and stops the run. Does that sound like a role you want your best pass rusher in?

Well I still don't see how Mo plays DE in a 4-3, he's just too heavy and doesn't have the speed for it.

You know, I don't know how popular a decision it would be amongst the fanbase, but if we do decide to make the move to a 4-3, we could always make a run at Suh in FA in lieu of signing Mo long term…Suh and Sheldon inside sounds like a tantalizing duo.

As far as paying Harrison goes, eventually we are going to have to pay to keep good players. The offset to that is drafting well and finding solid free agent contributors. Something the jets have not b the n very good at lately.

If we don't hang on to Snacks I quit.

I still don't want to pay big $ to a 350lb 3-4 NT with knee issues if we're moving to a 4-3. I'd rather let him walk and take the comp pick. If I'm all alone out on that ledge then so be it.

Well I still don't see how Mo plays DE in a 4-3, he's just too heavy and doesn't have the speed for it.

You know, I don't know how popular a decision it would be amongst the fanbase, but if we do decide to make the move to a 4-3, we could always make a run at Suh in FA in lieu of signing Mo long term…Suh and Sheldon inside sounds like a tantalizing duo.

I still don't want to pay big $ to a 350lb 3-4 NT with knee issues if we're moving to a 4-3. I'd rather let him walk and take the comp pick. If I'm all alone out on that ledge then so be it.

Mo is similar to Shaun Ellis in size. I know what you are getting at and you could be right. He is not as valuable in a 4-3 as say a Suh. I'm not sure either way on that. Suh is a beast and coupled with Richardson would be nuts.

Archived