Bruce Arians

Integrity28

This is a shoulda, coulda, woulda thread.

Sorry, but in 2012 when he took over for Pagano he did a hell of a job. That was also the year Rex and company hit rock bottom (the first time). I said it then, Rex should have been fired with Tanny, and we should have hired Arians.

Watching Arians on his way to coach of the year honors burns my ass. Good for Bruce, but dammit. He's done a fantastic job, meanwhile the Jets doubled-down on hot poop.

Better coulda-shoulda-woulda: Arians was the runner-up for the Bears job that Marc Trestman is currently pissing down his leg. He turned it down because one of the conditions was keeping Rod Marinelli as DC. Marinelli quit like a week after they hired Trestman.

#lolbears

Just another thing the Ape was right about and he felt the need to let us know.

Thanks Ape!

You've got my vote if they can Idzik. 

I know I do the whole "told you so" schtick thing, and it's usually my tongue-in-cheek way of flipping off the people that dumped on me for saying things first, when it was unpopular to say, but this one isn't so much about that... this is really just about lamenting the lost opportunity to replace Rex with someone I really thought would take us to the next level. 

Better coulda-shoulda-woulda: Arians was the runner-up for the Bears job that Marc Trestman is currently pissing down his leg. He turned it down because one of the conditions was keeping Rod Marinelli as DC. Marinelli quit like a week after they hired Trestman.

#lolbears

Hahaha... I forgot about that. 

Trestman might be a good OC candidate next year for us. LOL

You can do a "woulda, coulda shoulda" thread on every draft, free agent class, and GM & coaching search we've had over the past 40 years.

Obviously, but that would just be re-architecting with hindsight in your favor.

In this case, Rex has lost the team 2 seasons in a row, and as I said, he managed to prioritize self-preservation, making a scapegoat out of everyone around him. Woody gave him the do-over. This stings more than the typical "woulda, shoulda..." because firing Rex was the right thing to do then, and because we didn't it cost us the other GM candidates who didn't want to inherit him, and it coast us a shot at Arians who was so ******* obviously ready to go to the next level. 

That Colts team was Andrew Luck, TY Hilton and a lot of injured guys and garbage. Arians coached them into the playoffs, just like he's going to do with the Cardinals. 

I know I do the whole "told you so" schtick thing, and it's usually my tongue-in-cheek way of flipping off the people that dumped on me for saying things first, when it was unpopular to say, but this one isn't so much about that... this is really just about lamenting the lost opportunity to replace Rex with someone I really thought would take us to the next level. 

Arians stepped into a very good situation.  He would have a lot more work to do with the Jets.  The roster he inherited is/was loaded and landing Palmer was really what did it IMO.  They werent a bad team those down years with Whisenhut, they just had the worst QB situation in the league next to the Jets.  His final season, he trotted out 4 different QB's;Kevin Kolb, John Skelton, Ryan Lindley and Brian Hoyer for a game.  

He really didnt have to do any building.  The roster isnt much different than it was with Whisenhut. Honeybadger, Ellington, Brown...those are the only picks that are really contributing from Arians at this point. And again, they're winning on Defense...which goes back to my post from last week.  Its crazy how many coaches are hired for their expertise on one side of the ball and win with the other.

The most impressive part of the Cardinals is how nasty their D is without Dockett and Washington.  Its nuts! 

To your point, Arians would have been in nice hire if they canned Rex.  That was one of the names I could dig with how the Colts responded to him.

Obviously, but that would just be re-architecting with hindsight in your favor.

In this case, Rex has lost the team 2 seasons in a row, and as I said, he managed to prioritize self-preservation, making a scapegoat out of everyone around him. Woody gave him the do-over. This stings more than the typical "woulda, shoulda..." because firing Rex was the right thing to do then, and because we didn't it cost us the other GM candidates who didn't want to inherit him, and it coast us a shot at Arians who was so ******* obviously ready to go to the next level. 

That Colts team was Andrew Luck, TY Hilton and a lot of injured guys and garbage. Arians coached them into the playoffs, just like he's going to do with the Cardinals. 

That Colts team is better than you're giving them credit for...Reggie Wayne had an insane year.  Like 100+, 1400, 5 TD's. Donnie Avery, Fleener, Allen. Vontae Davis, Antoine Bathea, Dwight Freeney, Cody Redding, Jerrell Freeman, Mathis, Anger, Butler....thats not exactly garbage.  It was much better than what the Jets were working with and the Jets throttled them 35-9.

hate to tell you this but no one cares enough to be keeping score. no one remembers what you said, and no one cares that you are reminding us. it doesn't make us think "oh integrity was right about XYZ." it makes us think "look at this sad little creature who needs messageboard affirmation."

While I agree with the basic premise, this is also the Jets we're talking about.  If Arians came here, the team still probably would have ended up being an epic disaster and people would be citing his vast unpopularity as OC in Pittsburgh as why the Jets shouldn't have creamed their pants over one partial coaching season of a guy whose success was only because he got to work with the best QB prospect in over a decade.  Obviously none of this turned out to be true for him or the Cardinals, but it's the Jets, so it probably would have for them just... because.

That Colts team is better than you're giving them credit for...Reggie Wayne had an insane year.  Like 100+, 1400, 5 TD's. Donnie Avery, Fleener, Allen. Vontae Davis, Antoine Bathea, Dwight Freeney, Cody Redding, Jerrell Freeman, Mathis, Anger, Butler....thats not exactly garbage.  It was much better than what the Jets were working with and the Jets throttled them 35-9.

That team was loaded with injuries too, it was the subs that Arians got a lot out of. If I remember correctly, I could be wrong though.

hate to tell you this but no one cares enough to be keeping score. no one remembers what you said, and no one cares that you are reminding us. it doesn't make us think "oh integrity was right about XYZ." it makes us think "look at this sad little creature who needs messageboard affirmation."

The bold is the schtick part of it, thanks for explaining it. I have a self-depricating sense of humor, being the guy that says "I told you so" accomplishes a couple things... it makes me the heel, it pisses people off, and it parodies the guys that actually DO care about keeping score, even if the laughs are at my expense. My skin is thick, that doesn't bother me. I like to see who can do the most with the setups I provide.

And yes, it's the interwebz, people keep score. Certain types of people. I've had things I said 2 years ago thrown in my face by several people in the past 2 weeks here in highly visible "arguments". 

The bold is the schtick part of it, thanks for explaining it. I have a self-depricating sense of humor, being the guy that says "I told you so" accomplishes a couple things... it makes me the heel, it pisses people off, and it parodies the guys that actually DO care about keeping score, even if the laughs are at my expense. My skin is thick, that doesn't bother me. I like to see who can do the most with the setups I provide.

And yes, it's the interwebz, people keep score. Certain types of people. I've had things I said 2 years ago thrown in my face by several people in the past 2 weeks here in highly visible "arguments". 

if you truly had the aforementioned thick skin you would not care

if you truly had the aforementioned thick skin you would not care

Define "care".

I'm puzzled that I have to explain this to people like you and Klacko, that you don't seem to get it. Don't mistake that for "caring". It would be more appropriate to compare it to a cat discover a ball of yarn, and batting it around a little.

Have Klacko and jgb always been the most sensitive people on this site? I do the whole "told you so" bit to torment the dummies, but it seems to unravel these two pretty regularly as well. 

This has potential.

congrats you've discovered that we don't like you, clever little bird

:cheers:

You can do a "woulda, coulda shoulda" thread on every draft, free agent class, and GM & coaching search we've had over the past 40 years.

Sure but that was his point.  That was a year we should have changed coaches.  Lots of guys come free every year and some are good. But it is not necessarily the right time. Rex was flopping around like a fish on sand.  Arians would have been just the guy.

Sure but that was his point.  That was a year we should have changed coaches.  Lots of guys come free every year and some are good. But it is not necessarily the right time. Rex was flopping around like a fish on sand.  Arians would have been just the guy.

Nobody knows that Bruce Arians would perform this job better than Rex. Arians doing a great job in Arizona doesn't mean he'd do a great job in NY. This organization is so inept that I'm confident Vince Lombardi would fall flat on his face with this cast of characters.

Rex sucks. But please, everyone spare me this Bruce Arians crap. 

Archived