Of all the talented players Rex has destroyed and/or wasted

AFJF

Stay on topic

I'm on topic.  He answered my question and I responded to that.  It's what happens when you answer a question that somebody asks.  It becomes a conversation.  

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's universally known that Rex doesn't know how to coach, at all. Players just don't respond to the guy. He just doesn't know how to connect to coach them up.

It explains why every single year this team wins 1 game.

beating Oakland counts as a win ?

Is there any parricular reason why you continue to not answer the question?  There are other threads for you to say a million other things about Rex.  My question was, once Rex is gone, which of the previously mentioned players will make us forget Lawrence Taylor, Deion Sanders, and Dan Marino?  It's only a matter of time before Rex is gone, so make the predictions now.

Who chose those players? Not Rex.

I never said he did choose them.  Just asking which ones will excel once Rex is gone.  His job to develop the talent.

Actually Rex was involved in the decision to draft the majority of the players you listed.  He's a good DC who inherited some nice players from the Mangini years....nothing more.   

Actually Rex was involved in the decision to draft the majority of the players you listed. He's a good DC who inherited some nice players from the Mangini years....nothing more.

Absolutely. Every HC in the NFL should have SOME influence, but the GM has final say.

Vernon Gholston still puzzles me. What happened? 

Rex happened to Gholston.  Since he was picked by Mangini you  just know he was a stud.  Look for Gholston to win comeback player of the year once Rex is fired.

There's plenty of legitimate things to criticize Rex for, but the notion that our team will suddenly be great the moment he is shown the door is just silly.  Every team hits and misses on players.  Some players need more time than others before they are ready, others just aren't that good to begin with.

The one position where you could make the development argument is at QB. Rex is not a coach that you want bringing up a young QB.  He's basically proven that. Look at what Pettine is doing in Cleveland.  Tough defense, excellent O-Line, solid running game, and most importantly a veteran game managing QB that protects the football above all else. Pettine is following Rex's philosophy to a tee, the difference being he has an efficient vet at QB, while Rex keeps trying to do it with inexperienced rookies.

I think Rex needs to go at the end of the year.  However if they do decide to keep him, I'd avoid a QB at the top of the draft. You're basically pissing away a high draft pick. They should concentrate on building a monster O-Line, and finding a veteran game manager to start at QB.  Build around the running game with Ivory, Powell, Harvin, and another running back prospect.

Three drafts under Eric Mangini and Mike Tannenbaum resulted in 15 Pro Bowls nominations for the players coming out of those drafts (Leon Washington, Brick, Mangold, Revis).

In six drafts under Rex Ryan, there have been zero such nominations. 

You mean to say Dee Milliner isn't the best corner in NFL..?

There's plenty of legitimate things to criticize Rex for, but the notion that our team will suddenly be great the moment he is shown the door is just silly.  Every team hits and misses on players.  Some players need more time than others before they are ready, others just aren't that good to begin with.

The one position where you could make the development argument is at QB. Rex is not a coach that you want bringing up a young QB.  He's basically proven that. Look at what Pettine is doing in Cleveland.  Tough defense, excellent O-Line, solid running game, and most importantly a veteran game managing QB that protects the football above all else. Pettine is following Rex's philosophy to a tee, the difference being he has an efficient vet at QB, while Rex keeps trying to do it with inexperienced rookies.

I think Rex needs to go at the end of the year.  However if they do decide to keep him, I'd avoid a QB at the top of the draft. You're basically pissing away a high draft pick. They should concentrate on building a monster O-Line, and finding a veteran game manager to start at QB.  Build around the running game with Ivory, Powell, Harvin, and another running back prospect.

Very well put.  Pettine is definitely succeeding with the formula he learned from Rex, and he's getting results because he has better players, especially at QB and CB.  Hoyer isn't great, but he's not going to throw 25 INT's either.

Good post.  It depends on who they can get in FA.  Even a quality Free Agent QB is difficult to obtain.  Agree that O-Line needs work;  dump Colon and CJ2K.

The college QB class does  not look so hot this year, anyway.

Very well put. Pettine is definitely succeeding with the formula he learned from Rex, and he's getting results because he has better players, especially at QB and CB. Hoyer isn't great, but he's not going to throw 25 INT's either.

How come Rex hasn't succeeded with Rex's formula?

We've been trotting out QBs who don't protect the football.

Pettine comes from a football family. His father is one of the winningest coaches in Pennsylvania high school football history. This idea that Rex found him on the side of the road and taught him how to run a team is high comedy.

Pettine comes from a football family. His father is one of the winningest coaches in Pennsylvania high school football history. This idea that Rex found him on the side of the road and taught him the game is high comedy.

Who ever said that he did?  Pettine had a strong football foundation, you're correct.  However to say Rex hasn't been influential on him is simply false. He's running the same defense Rex runs. The one Rex learned from his father. 

Look at what Bob Sutton is doing in KC. Our defenses didn't look that good when he was our D-Coordinator under Mangini.  He picked up some stuff from Rex.  Pettine undoubtedly has as well.

Who ever said that he did? Pettine had a strong football foundation, you're correct. However to say Rex hasn't been influential on him is simply false. He's running the same defense Rex runs. The one Rex learned from his father.

Look at what Bob Sutton is doing in KC. Our defenses didn't look that good when he was our D-Coordinator under Mangini. He picked up some stuff from Rex. Pettine undoubtedly has as well.

I'm sure, and vice versa, the same way Rex boosted Marvin Lewis' concepts.

this thread through page 2 is a waste of cyberspace. I didn't read through the rest. we get it. you heart rex and lack of offensive production for 6 years is not his fault because no all stars. got it.

If Biff Tannen, Warden Norton, and Mini Me decided to get together and have a debate about Fermat's Last Theorum, I imagine it would look a lot like this conversation.

Archived