Rex Ryan: Steelers' Mitchell leap 'kind of bush league'

Ken Schroy

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000426281/article/rex-ryan-steelers-mitchell-leap-kind-of-bush-league

Mike Mitchell did his best Troy Polamalu impression on Sunday, and the Jets did not appreciate it.

In the final seconds of New York's upset 20-13 win at the Meadowlands, Mitchell attempted to leap over the line of scrimmage while the Jets were in their victory formation. He ended up in the air space of center Nick Mangold, who flipped the Steelers safety to the turf.

Large humans pushed each other, swear words were uttered. After the game, Mangold called Mitchell's antics "dirty." On Monday, Rex Ryan shared his feelings.

"I thought that was kind of bush league," Ryan said, according to NJ.com. "I'm surprised. I can understand in a short-yardage situation, you would have praised the guy for timing it and all that stuff -- there's no question. But in that part of the game, where we're just kneeling on it, I was surprised by it to say the least -- and disappointed."

Does Ryan believes Steelers coach Mike Tomlin told Mitchell to make the desperation leap?

"I have no idea; I guess you'd have to ask them," Ryan said. "But I've played them for a long time. I've never seen that before."

The Steelers went full-Schiano, and it didn't work. One day it will for somebody, and the "victory formation" will lose its innocence forever. Enjoy it while you can.

Yep. And Mangold made the appropriate decision, with no one getting flagged. Kind of pointless for anyone to complain about it.

If someone got injured it wouldnt be pointless.

Its a matter of good sportsmanship, IMO. The Jets could play safe and snap in a shotgun type setting and get the same results. But no team does that because most teams arent worried about a bush league move in victory formation.

If someone got injured it wouldnt pointless. 

Its a matter of good sportsmanship, IMO.  The Jets could play safe and snap in a shotgun type setting and get the same results.  But no team does that because most teams arent worried about a bush league move in victory formation.

i don't know the time of the incident or if the Steelers had any timeouts, but i agree it's bush league.  no need for that kinda stuff especially if you don't have a chance.

hey rex you mean like flicking off fans in miami at an MMA event, getting your starter injured in the stupid snoopy bowl, presiding over not one, not two, but three sham QB "competitions" in your 6 years here, guaranteeing a visit to the white house your first five minutes in town, announcing you weren't here to kiss belly's rings (as if he would let you anywhere near them), getting a tattoo of your almost-naked wife in a sanchez jersey, making footjob vids, setting up an online dating profile bragging about your wife's "5 inch n*pples," taking pictures of your wife with another dude licking her feet, telling the fans you drafted a safety because he will "smash faces," having a guy hide on his belly in the end zone during a kickoff return, drafting your son's buddy who was on the team 15 minutes, making locker room leukemia santonio holmes a captain, getting a picture taken with a comely fan wearing a "I'd hit that" T-shirt, flying a toy helicopter over practice, farting at a press conference and being proud of it, dressing up like your brother at a press conference, telling us every year you've been here this is your most talented roster despite doing worst each successive year, doing nothing when your 2nd year QB no-shows a meeting the night before game day before a must-win game, throwing not one but two OCs under the bus?

bush league like that? i'm sure the steelers are shattered by your criticism. Now go get a ****in snack.

Rex-Ryan-Id-Hit-That-Shirt.jpg

9037438-large.jpg

REX-RYAN-MIDDLE-FINGER-FLICKS-OFF.jpg

spl477474_011130215-525x4151.jpg

1293719964rex_ryan_ife_fetish2.jpg

I don't get what the point of the leap was.  He thought he was going to hit Vick before he takes a knee?  That's clearly impossible.  He wasn't even able to hit Vick *after* he took the knee.  The only thing he can accomplish, if the QB is not paying attention, is that he can land on a kneeling QB.  Is trying for a penalty and/or an injury a valid football strategy at that point in the game??

Archived