Schefter believes Idzik will be fired!

Seth

He had a friggen shoulder injury - its not like he was a QB . Guys get drafted all the time with injuries far worse than this. Its unlucky he got injured period. 

My point is not that he was a bad pick.  My point is that to pencil in a 3rd round pick at starting CB with no competition is moronic.  The fact that he didn't play at all the year prior is more reason to question it.  Sure he might not have been predisposed to more injury, but the guy basically has not played football since 2012. People here are planning on him staring in 2015?  How? 

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Read that last line over and over and tell me how anyone can seriously want this guy back as a HC. The same thing happened with Tanny so its not the GM holding him back its Rex's lack of desire to want to be involved with the whole team , sure there are other HC's that are offensive or defensive focused but they get involved with the oppoosing  units and act as a true HC. Being a buddy with your players and telling them you got their backs does not make one a great HC and to be honest that's all Rex brings to the table. 

Does the two straight AFCC appearance is not part of your table?  How many Jets coaches had taken the Jets to two afcc games and did it with a rookie QB that completed 12 TD and 20 INT?

I'm a Rex fan and I wouldn't mind him gone after the season but let’s not make this guy as a total failure here when he was not.  We know what he can do with a few talents.

It is not Rex fault that our inept GM trying to be cute pass on WR Maltavis Bryant (ACC  6'4  4.40 speed) and Bruce Ellington where every draft mock had them as first round talent in favor of a 5'7 punt returner and another guy with no upside.  What about passing on B. Cooks?  He passed on every elite free agent CB in order to bring his secret weapon from college, D. Mcdougle. There were so many move he could had done before betting all on the draft.  Well, he whiff on every one of his 12 drafts pick.   Maybe he was trying to sabotage Rex in order to bring his own coach.  I hope that decision prove to be fatal for him too.

And the very last play of the Vikes game he dialed up a cover none full out blitz . For every example of zone play you can point out I can give you two of one on one and full out overload blitzes.  

And the Coples problem is 100% created by Rex, he wanted him desperately, guaranteeing him he'd be drafted by the Jets.  Problem is Rex is in a conundrum, Coples is better suited to the 4-3 Rexy doesn't like to play that as a base , so using that example is a poor defense of Mr teflon.

Cover none?  Cause the S blew the tackle?  Blitz?  There were a bunch of guys over that whiffed on that play.  I am not saying he doesn't play man.  I am saying that people say he doesn't adjust and always plays man.  That is false. 

My point is not that he was a bad pick.  My point is that to pencil in a 3rd round pick at starting CB with no competition is moronic.  The fact that he didn't play at all the year prior is more reason to question it.  Sure he might not have been predisposed to more injury, but the guy basically has not played football since 2012. People here are planning on him staring in 2015?  How? 

Because a guy is drafted in the 3rd round doesn't mean he's penciled in as a surefire starter. They collectively probably felt they could get by with Millner/Walls/Wilson/Patterson while mixing in Macdougle , teh fact he looked very good in TC and PS boded well for the possibility he started sooner than later . Some people wanted Revis back after blowing out his ACL at 16M/per no less 

Sanchez was drafted by Rex and had a pretty good year his rookie season(2009) certainly not worst rookie QB by far.  So Ellis was washed up , but Rex got the most of out him - I see. Harris was not a huge liability earlier in his career. You seem to be applying the images of these players in they're final years with the Jets and applying them to 2009 . Yes  Rex was behind the Leonard and Scott signings and they were good moves at the time as they helped the D learn Rex's system , the problem is in future years Rex stuck with them for far too long. Braylon and Holmes were signed because as you you said they played well against him in Balt , certainly not because he envisioned what they actually could or couldn't do in our offense.  Bottom line Rex was in pretty good position to succeed in 2009-2010 , if his teams come out prepared in those AFCCG's they may have even went to the SB. Its funny you say Mangini was unsuccessful with a FHOF QB , if Farve doesn't get hurt that season , the Jets were truly in good position but that's Mangini's fault, yet when the Jets secondary is saddled with injuries this year its the GM's fault.

Sanchez had the worst year in the NFL in his rookie yr. Can't debate that unless u really want to. Shaun "Jets have no loyalty" Ellis was washed up, old n slow. See how great he was when we let him go to a great coach supposedly? n Jets have always been terrible at covering the TEs. Harris was always slow. 

Bottom line is, Rex had to change up over half the team succeed n he did. So no, Rex wasn't in good position to succeed. He had to work at it. Oh, funny how Mangini didn't bench Favre due to injury, or even due to his ineffective play, yet you want to bash Rex for recreating the team in 2009 n give the credit to Mangini. Compare apples to apples. Jets have spent about 85% of their cap space this yr. That extra $20mil could have given us 2-3 solid starters (2 corners, one WR). That could have been the difference between a 10+ win team and a 3-4 win team.

Does the two straight AFCC appearance is not part of your table?  How many Jets coaches had taken the Jets to two afcc games and did it with a rookie QB that completed 12 TD and 20 INT?

I'm a Rex fan and I wouldn't mind him gone after the season but let’s not make this guy as a total failure here when he was not.  We know what he can do with a few talents.

It is not Rex fault that our inept GM trying to be cute pass on WR Maltavis Bryant (ACC  6'4  4.40 speed) and Bruce Ellington where every draft mock had them as first round talent in favor of a 5'7 punt returner and another guy with no upside.  What about passing on B. Cooks?  He passed on every elite free agent CB in order to bring his secret weapon from college, D. Mcdougle. There were so many move he could had done before betting all on the draft.  Well his whiff on every one of his 12 drafts pick.   Maybe he was trying to sabotage Rex in order to bring his own coach.  I hope that decision prove to be fatal for him too.

I've written this a couple of times over the years, but here goes.  If the Bungles and Indy don't sit their guys, we miss the playoffs in Rex' first year.  So, that would be five of Rex' six year stint that we were out of the playoffs.  (Granted, we got hot the first year and had a nice run until we blew the Indy game.)

At some point, we must all recognize the flaws in his coaching/drafting ability.  It's time for the change which should have been done after the 2012 season.  

I've written this a couple of times over the years, but here goes.  If the Bungles and Indy don't sit their guys, we miss the playoffs in Rex' first year.  So, that would be five of Rex' six year stint that we were out of the playoffs.  (Granted, we got hot the first year and had a nice run until we blew the Indy game.)

At some point, we must all recognize the flaws in his coaching/drafting ability.  It's time for the change which should have been done after the 2012 season.  

If Danny Woodhead could play kickoff coverage we are 10-6.

It is not Rex fault that our inept GM trying to be cute pass on WR Maltavis Bryant (ACC  6'4  4.40 speed) and Bruce Ellington where every draft mock had them as first round talent in favor of a 5'7 punt returner and another guy with no upside.  What about passing on B. Cooks?  He passed on every elite free agent CB in order to bring his secret weapon from college, D. Mcdougle. There were so many move he could had done before betting all on the draft.  Well his whiff on every one of his 12 drafts pick.   Maybe he was trying to sabotage Rex in order to bring his own coach.  I hope that decision prove to be fatal for him too.

If your a sales guy and make $100 grand in sales in 2009 and 2010 and follow that up with sales of $70 , $60$ and $30 grand in subsequent years does your boss say hey this guy had great years 4 years ago or does he say I see a downward trend and show you the door. what Rex did 5 years ago has no relevance to what he's doing now, in addition you'd think in those 5 years he'd learn from some of the mistakes and correct them by now- penalties, challenges, timeouts lack of preparation after long weeks etc.....  Yes, the GM missed on this years draft, but ask yourself this if the Jets had Bryant or Ellington or  your favorite 2014 drafted WR taken after the Jets pick - what difference would it have made. 1 win , 2 tops. The Jets have enough talent on O ( Decker/Harvin/Kerley/Amaro/Ivory) that they don't use effectively now. If we drafted one of these wr's we'd probably be calling them busts like many are saying about Decker , Amaro etc. 

Had Shonne Greene had not gotten injured and Payton had not recognize our weak link in the secondary in Dwight Lowery or If the team showed up to play in the first half against Pitt, then maybe we could had won a SB.  We can play the WHAT IF game all day long.  At the end of the day he made it twice to the afcc and you and nobody can take that away. 

Cover none?  Cause the S blew the tackle?  Blitz?  There were a bunch of guys over that whiffed on that play.  I am not saying he doesn't play man.  I am saying that people say he doesn't adjust and always plays man.  That is false. 

He beat one guy on that play period - Rex even stated he got caught in a cover none on that play. No DC ever has played 1 scheme 100% of the time, its just that Rex keeps coming back to his saftey blanket the all out blitz , watch any 3rd and long play against the Jets this year. 

My point is last two years pass defense has been bad-blame it on Rex and Idzik not only one of them

Rex's pass defenses ranked no lower than 6th in his first four years here, but have been 22nd and 20th the last two. I think it's fair to lay a little bit more of the blame on Idzik.

If your a sales guy and make $100 grand in sales in 2009 and 2010 and follow that up with sales of $70 , $60$ and $30 grand in subsequent years does your boss say hey this guy had great years 4 years ago or does he say I see a downward trend and show you the door. what Rex did 5 years ago has no relevance to what he's doing now, in addition you'd think in those 5 years he'd learn from some of the mistakes and correct them by now- penalties, challenges, timeouts lack of preparation after long weeks etc.....  Yes, the GM missed on this years draft, but ask yourself this if the Jets had Bryant or Ellington or  your favorite 2014 drafted WR taken after the Jets pick - what difference would it have made. 1 win , 2 tops. The Jets have enough talent on O ( Decker/Harvin/Kerley/Amaro/Ivory) that they don't use effectively now. If we drafted one of these wr's we'd probably be calling them busts like many are saying about Decker , Amaro etc. 

When the sales guy had goods to sell, he sold em. Now that his boss took away some sale items while cracking up the screen on some iphones, the guy is only selling 30Gs a yr. I wonder why? Cracked iphone (injuries) can cause that much issue?

Really bad example u picked, sir. And Im being nice about it. 

Let's go game by game.  There is no doubt that with a little improve in personnel, the jets wins agains the packers, Bears, detroit, pats, miami and minnesota.   That is 6 games, not 1.  

He beat one guy on that play period - Rex even stated he got caught in a cover none on that play. No DC ever has played 1 scheme 100% of the time, its just that Rex keeps coming back to his saftey blanket the all out blitz , watch any 3rd and long play against the Jets this year. 

Nothing has worked for the Jets on 3rd n long situations. We don't have the corners to even cover Al Toon if he suited up. 

Let's go game by game.  There is no doubt that with a little improve in personnel, the jets wins agains the packers, Bears, detroit, pats, miami and minnesota.   That is 6 games, not 1.  

Packers won due to a sh*t timeout call that did not exist. Bears won due to a no call PI in the EZ on the final play. Pats won due to a blocked FG (doesn't happen every time), and Miami got lucked out with the internal issue we had. Any given Sunday, we win all those games with the same personnel we already have in place. 

If Danny Woodhead could play kickoff coverage we are 10-6.

Had Shonne Greene had not gotten injured and Payton had not recognize our weak link in the secondary in Dwight Lowery or If the team showed up to play in the first half against Pitt, then maybe we could had won a SB.  We can play the WHAT IF game all day long.  At the end of the day he made it twice to the afcc and you and nobody can take that away. 

Totally get that the what ifs go both ways.  IMO, Rex' scheme and hires have cost us more games than I care to remember.  At least for me, I'm done with Rex as our HC.

Totally get that the what ifs go both ways.  IMO, Rex' scheme and hires have cost us more games than I care to remember.  At least for me, I'm done with Rex as our HC.

Why is that even a discussion?  Everybody knows Rex is gone.  I happen to love his schemes (on D) but accept that his lack of attention to O and extended years out of the playoffs mean he should go.  Who exactly constitute his  "hires" is subject to debate, but IMO it is a foregone conclusion.

Bungles laid an egg even with their starters in the game. Indy was a close game when Manning walked off. Manning barely beat us in the playoffs by targeting the 5th CB due to injuries (who hardly played a snap in wk17). So no, its not a gimme we lose indy, but it was a gimme we beat Bungles (which we did a wk later.)

Rex's pass defenses ranked no lower than 6th in his first four years here, but have been 22nd and 20th the last two. I think it's fair to lay a little bit more of the blame on Idzik.

Yeah a frggin hof corner called Revis would have been a bum if not coached up by Rex.  The hole support for Rex ryan seems to be based on the fact that he needs great plaeyrs to get great results.  Take him to task as a coach and people blame the GM for not getting him players depite that fact that the defense has been littered qith 1st rounders since Rex was here.

It's the same story, if things go well it's because of Rex even if he has a great players.  If things go badly it is not Rex's fault because he has no players.  Same laughable issue with the fans of this team dumping on the OC's for years.  Rex has a year or so with palyer weakness in one aspect of the D and the reuslts are not his fault.  Meanwhile the OC's of this team have been handed pure shi* to work with and get the bulls eye firmnly planted on them each year.

Which is it?  you make the choice because if poor players mean rex should not scrutinezied now it also means that he had little to do with the two AFC title sgames because he had good players.  Rex defenders want it both ways.  (And as you can see with these threads, all we talk about re rex is 'his' defense, this just in he is a head coach,.)

Woody being in the locker room, and giving Rex a game ball......two games before he fires him?

Nope.

If Rex can put out competitive games, and heaven forbid win one or both (one is certainly possible), he could very well be retained, with Idzik taking the full blame this time (joining Shotty, Sparano, Tannenbaum, etc).

People will laugh it off......I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it.  You don't see any fan billboards saying "Rex Must Go!" do you? 

Neither does Woody.

The vocal "Blame Idzik" contingent may have helped buy us yet another year of Rex Ryan.

There is no doubt that Woody is enamored with Rex but at 3-11, he has no choice but to can him for he’ll once again be looking for a GM willing to work with him and look how well that worked out with Idzik. Most viable, well-experienced GM candidates want to choose their coaches.

In my opinion he has 3 choices:

1- fire everyone;

2-stay the course, and keep Idzik and Ryan

3- Make Ryan coach and GM 

Why is that even a discussion?  Everybody knows Rex is gone.  I happen to love his schemes (on D) but accept that his lack of attention to O and extended years out of the playoffs mean he should go.  Who exactly constitute his  "hires" is subject to debate, but IMO it is a foregone conclusion.

You like the all out blitzes exposing our DBs?  DBs playing 10-15 yards off the ball?  Hiring Sparano?  Morningdunce?

I agree with you that Rex is gone.  But the discussions are fun and seem to interest lots of us.

Bungles laid an egg even with their starters in the game. Indy was a close game when Manning walked off. Manning barely beat us in the playoffs by targeting the 5th CB due to injuries (who hardly played a snap in wk17). So no, its not a gimme we lose indy, but it was a gimme we beat Bungles (which we did a wk later.)

Believe what you want to believe.  Even though I disagree, I respect your perspective.

You like the all out blitzes exposing our DBs?  DBs playing 10-15 yards off the ball?  Hiring Sparano?  Morningdunce?

I agree with you that Rex is gone.  But the discussions are fun and seem to interest lots of us.

Believe what you want to believe.  Even though I disagree, I respect your perspective.

Disagree about all these all out blitzes exposign our DBs.  56 is going on about the last play of the Vikings game.  2 guys were blocked out and one flat out whiffed.  There were plenty of opportunities to stop that play and scheme wise I see no problem with it.  I have not seen so many times where it was the scheme and not the players blowing it.  I'm not talking about a poor sh*tty CB being manned up against a top WR either.  Hated Sparano from the start, have no major problem with Mornhinweg. 

Exactly.  

Like I said I'm a big Rex fan but wouldn't mind him gone after the season. As a fan, I will always appreciate the loyalty, passion and excitement he brought to the Jets. It was a shame the talents put together in his tenure here.  This guy is leaving in a much better shape than when Bellichick left the Browns.  I hope for him the best if he is fired after the season, hopefully he find that elusive QB to take him to the promise land. 

Disagree about all these all out blitzes exposign our DBs.  56 is going on about the last play of the Vikings game.  2 guys were blocked out and one flat out whiffed.  There were plenty of opportunities to stop that play and scheme wise I see no problem with it.  I have not seen so many times where it was the scheme and not the players blowing it.  I'm not talking about a poor sh*tty CB being manned up against a top WR either.  Hated Sparano from the start, have no major problem with Mornhinweg. 

I have seen us get dusted on key third downs all year when Rex sent the house.  I respect your opinion.

Yeah a frggin hof corner called Revis would have been a bum if not coached up by Rex.  The hole support for Rex ryan seems to be based on the fact that he needs great plaeyrs to get great results.  Take him to task as a coach and people blame the GM for not getting him players depite that fact that the defense has been littered qith 1st rounders since Rex was here.

It's the same story, if things go well it's because of Rex even if he has a great players.  If things go badly it is not Rex's fault because he has no players.  Same laughable issue with the fans of this team dumping on the OC's for years.  Rex has a year or so with palyer weakness in one aspect of the D and the reuslts are not his fault.  Meanwhile the OC's of this team have been handed pure shi* to work with and get the bulls eye firmnly planted on them each year.

Which is it?  you make the choice because if poor players mean rex should not scrutinezied now it also means that he had little to do with the two AFC title sgames because he had good players.  Rex defenders want it both ways.  (And as you can see with these threads, all we talk about re rex is 'his' defense, this just in he is a head coach,.)

Unfortunately, Rex has worked for GMs who acquire talent about as well as you type. :)

People complain relentlessly about the first rounders on defense, without acknowledging that they spend a lot more money on the offense than the defense the majority of the time (this year, it's $55M on offense, $33M on defense). They've failed at the QB position, having crap at the position for his entire tenure here.

I don't give Rex a free pass. He's clearly flawed, and his focus on defense is central to that. But trying to pretend he's not good at defense to further the anti-Rex agenda is just silly. He's gonna be fired, so you can relax. You don't need to attack him from every angle.

He inherited a team that had gone 5-16 over the previous two years without a healthy Brett Favre, and he didn't inherit Brett Favre. He took that band of losers and got to the AFCCG twice in a row with Mark Sanchez at the helm. He can clearly coach. Doesn't mean he shouldn't be fired now, but the vilification is way over the top. The idea that the Jets can't do worse than Rex is amazing to me. The Jets do worse than Rex as a general rule. He's the franchise leader in playoff wins, one of just four Jets coaches who've won 11 games in a season. The team can do a lot worse. I just hope they dump Idzik, just to give them a fighting chance to do better.

When the sales guy had goods to sell, he sold em. Now that his boss took away some sale items while cracking up the screen on some iphones, the guy is only selling 30Gs a yr. I wonder why? Cracked iphone (injuries) can cause that much issue?

Really bad example u picked, sir. And Im being nice about it. 

Bottom line though the sales guy's job is to sell just like the HC's job is to coach , he makes his money on W&L's and if he's good at his job as those here contend he is , he improvises , and he finds ways to meet the bottom line . Rex flat out has fallen short of his quota for the past 4 years and its time to go in a new direction.

So when Rex had $20+ million committed to three corners, he's got a chance. Less than that? No chance.

Quite the credential.

I have seen us get dusted on key third downs all year when Rex sent the house.  I respect your opinion.

Haha. Respect.  

We have been dusted on key third downs when Rex sent the house.  We have also been dusted on key third downs when he played coverage.  Also when he blitzed guys and dropped others off into coverage.  The CBs suck.  They suck at man and they suck at zone.  It is not a system thing.  They are BAD players.  

And I'm sure the Raiders and Titans fans are saying the same about losses to us. So your saying if we had better corners we beat those 6 teams - I disagree . 

Bottom line though the sales guy's job is to sell just like the HC's job is to coach , he makes his money on W&L's and if he's good at his job as those here contend he is , he improvises , and he finds ways to meet the bottom line . Rex flat out has fallen short of his quota for the past 4 years and its time to go in a new direction.

I don't think anyone is content with our record, but you can't blame Rex for injuries and bad management from the GM. He just can't find a good QB. Half the NFL can't find one so you have to have some luck too. His coaching isn't a concern to me. 

And I'm sure the Raiders and Titans fans are saying the same about losses to us. So your saying if we had better corners we beat those 6 teams - I disagree . 

Raiders had no chance against us and we tried our best to lose to the Titans. Those extra players would have made a HUGE difference. 

Archived