Reports state Tom Cable being considered for Jets HC

long suffering jets fan

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wouldn't hate it. He actually got the Raiders to look like a semi-competent football team, as did Hue Jackson, another name I'd be happy to hear added to the search.

While I'd prefer a great offensive strategist, Cable certainly has legit chops as an offensive line coach. And, yeah, he punched the sh*t out of a guy. F*ck yeah, I say. After 6 years of talk, I want a man of action.

i agree with all of this and wouldn't mind him at all

Here is some information about each of the four new coaching candidates:

• Todd Bowles (Cardinals defensive coordinator): The 51-year-old Elizabeth native was the Jets' defensive backs coach in 2000. He was the Eagles' interim defensive coordinator in 2012. He took on that job with the Cardinals in 2013. Arizona is seventh and fifth in the NFL in points allowed the past two years. His only head coaching experience is as the interim with Miami in 2011, when he went 2-1. His background is as a secondary coach. He played safety in the NFL from 1986-93. Bowles is black. The NFL's Rooney Rule requires teams to interview minority candidates for head coaching jobs.

• Tom Cable (Seahawks offensive line/assistant head coach): The Jets love Seattle candidates, don't they? It makes sense, considering the Seahawks won the Super Bowl last season. Idzik was a contracts and salary cap guy in Seattle before the Jets hired him as their GM. Unlike Quinn, Cable has been a head coach before -- 2000-03 at the University of Idaho and 2008-10 with the Raiders. He went 17-27 in Oakland and never made the playoffs. While in Oakland, he allegedly attacked one of his assistant coaches, Randy Hanson, broke Hanson's jaw and threatened his life. Cable has been accused of domestic violence by his former wife and girlfriend. After being fired by the Raiders, Cable immediately caught on in 2011 with Seattle. Cable, 50, has been in his current role with the Seahawks ever since. Jets right tackle Breno Giacomini played for Cable in Seattle.

• Gary Kubiak (Ravens offensive coordinator): He has the most head coaching experience of any candidate the Jets have requested to interview. Kubiak, 53, was the Texans' head coach from 2006-13. He led them to the divisional round of the playoffs in 2011 and 2012. They won in the wildcard round both years. His overall record was 61-64. Kubiak has a successful offensive background, something that could fit well with the Jets' floundering offense. He was the Broncos' offensive coordinator from 1995-2005, and won two Super Bowls with quarterback John Elway. Casserly also has some familiarity with Kubiak. Casserly was the Texans' GM from 2000-06. He briefly overlapped with Kubiak, who was hired in early 2006. Rick Smith took over for Casserly as Houston's GM.

• Frank Reich (Chargers offensive coordinator): The Chargers have enjoyed a fairly successful offense under coach Mike McCoy, who just finished his second season in San Diego. Reich, 53, doesn't have a whole lot of experience. This season was his first as a coordinator. Before that, he was a quarterbacks and wide receivers coach. He took over as San Diego's offensive coordinator when Ken Whisenhunt got the Titans' head coaching job. Reich knows quarterbacks, though, and the Jets could use a head coach who is well-versed in mentoring young quarterbacks, especially if they decide to draft one next spring. Developing a young quarterback was always one of Ryan's weaknesses. Reich played quarterback in the NFL from 1985-98 and is best known for leading the largest comeback in NFL history, when the Bills beat the Oilers in the 1992 playoffs.

you guys are hilarious, i mean nothing like basing your opinion of a head coaching candidate on looks. 

Who the heck is judging him on looks?

Tom%20Cable-thumb-320x205-13221.jpg

According to a report by ESPN.com, two women have accused Raiders’ head coach Tom Cable of verbal assault and said that he has a history of violent behavior.

In 1989, Sandy Cable sought a temporary order of protection, which said, in part, “On two occasions, one back in ’86 and the other in ’88, he hit me. The second time in the face, however on attempts to call law enforcement, my husband would rip the phone out of the wall.”

A third woman, Cable’s second wife Glenda, said in documents related to the couple’s 2008 divorce that “in the past he has been physically and verbally abusive to me.” Glenda and Tom Cable were married for 17 years. She declined to speak to

“Outside The Lines”, but is currently receiving support payments from Cable.

Lutz, who dated Cable as recently as January 2009, said she remembers Cable hitting her “three, four times.” She described a scene in a car after they left a restaurant where “[Cable] just got so angry I could not recognize him.”

Last Jan. 6, Lutz said she came to Cable’s house early in the morning and found another woman there. According to a police report from Alameda, Calif., Lutz became “very upset” and “demanded to meet the woman.” Lutz told police that after an altercation, Cable “grabbed her by the left arm, causing her to fall to the ground” and “eventually pick[ed] her up and pushed her out the front door.”

Lutz went to the emergency room and was treated for back pain and a contusion. Lutz also told police Cable had grabbed her by the neck several months earlier.

7912406.jpg

Archived