Will Coples be our Calais Campbell?

DaBallhawk

I just tried to figure out how Bowles would use our guys and looked over Arizona's defense. One thing, one player that stood out of in their defense of course is Campbell who is a Pro Bowl type player. They don't really have an edge rusher or great pass rushers up front outside of Campbell which pretty much limits what you can do in terms of playcalling, you kind of have to blitz linebackers all the time to generate pressure. Anyway, so I'm looking at Campbell and I can't stop comparing him to Coples. They are both huge, (listed at 6'6, 290 & 6'8, 300). They both have the same type of skillset (strong & athletic) and they're both immensely talented with the same sort of pedigree (6.5 sacks vs 8 sacks, 1st round pick vs 2nd round pick).

And yes, Campbell at this point is a better player of course because he didn't have Rex play him at OLB. When he Q moved to the front to replace Wilk he looked like a stud in my eyes and that's what Campbell does in Arizona so I'm expecting Bowles to do the same here with Q. Wilk will definitely be re-signed, no way our defensive minded HC lets his Temple guy who happens to be one of the best defensive players in the league at 24 (?) years only just walk. Sheldon is obviously not going anywhere either. He has some similarity with Dockett who was Bowles' DE (until he landed on IR), just comparing their size & playing style. Sheldon is 5 times the player of course and a gazillion years younger. So you have Q and Sheldon outside at DE in a perfect world I guess. Wilk has shown that he can be even more dominant inside as the 3-4 NT, he made a lot of plays there behind the LOS whether it's tackles for a loss or sacks. Come to think of it, that's mostly where he made his impact plays I think, at least from what I remember.

I don't know how well he would hold up there if he kept getting double/triple teamed and the offense ran the ball right at him, he's not built like Snacks or Kenrick, he's not as stout. Those two pluggers are similar to Dan Williams & Ta'amu from the Cardinals. Built like Spongebob...minus the legs. Do we bring back Snacks and let him continue to be our NT? Do we move Wilk to NT, trade Snacks and re-sign Ellis to be a situational type run stuffer and backup Wilk inside?

RE Coples - NT Wilkerson - LE Richardson

with a little bit of Ellis thrown in the mix, Snacks gets traded

RE Wilkerson - NT Harrison - LE Richardson

with Coples at "OLB", but used differently (pretty much have a 4 man front, have Wilk move inside a couple yards and instead of standing up let Coples play out of the 3 point stance which he does best). Snacks gets re-signed & Ellis walks

Those are really our only 2 options I figure. There's no way you let Wilkerson & Richardson start at DE and have Coples back them up. Those 2 guys play like almost every snap, and they should, it doesn't affect them and they get better the longer the game lasts. You don't cut their snaps in half just to get Coples out there. So what do we do? I'm very excited to see what Bowles is going to be able to get out of this defense where he just doesn't have to blitz AT ALL in order to generate pass rush.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just tried to figure out how Bowles would use our guys and looked over Arizona's defense. One thing, one player that stood out of in their defense of course is Campbell who is a Pro Bowl type player. They don't really have an edge rusher or great pass rushers up front outside of Campbell which pretty much limits what you can do in terms of playcalling, you kind of have to blitz linebackers all the time to generate pressure. Anyway, so I'm looking at Campbell and I can't stop comparing him to Coples. They are both huge, (listed at 6'6, 290 & 6'8, 300). They both have the same type of skillset (strong & athletic) and they're both immensely talented with the same sort of pedigree (6.5 sacks vs 8 sacks, 1st round pick vs 2nd round pick).

And yes, Campbell at this point is a better player of course because he didn't have Rex play him at OLB. When he Q moved to the front to replace Wilk he looked like a stud in my eyes and that's what Campbell does in Arizona so I'm expecting Bowles to do the same here with Q. Wilk will definitely be re-signed, no way our defensive minded HC lets his Temple guy who happens to be one of the best defensive players in the league at 24 (?) years only just walk. Sheldon is obviously not going anywhere either. He has some similarity with Dockett who was Bowles' DE (until he landed on IR), just comparing their size & playing style. Sheldon is 5 times the player of course and a gazillion years younger. So you have Q and Sheldon outside at DE in a perfect world I guess. Wilk has shown that he can be even more dominant inside as the 3-4 NT, he made a lot of plays there behind the LOS whether it's tackles for a loss or sacks. Come to think of it, that's mostly where he made his impact plays I think, at least from what I remember.

I don't know how well he would hold up there if he kept getting double/triple teamed and the offense ran the ball right at him, he's not built like Snacks or Kenrick, he's not as stout. Those two pluggers are similar to Dan Williams & Ta'amu from the Cardinals. Built like Spongebob...minus the legs. Do we bring back Snacks and let him continue to be our NT? Do we move Wilk to NT, trade Snacks and re-sign Ellis to be a situational type run stuffer and backup Wilk inside?

RE Coples - NT Wilkerson - LE Richardson

with a little bit of Ellis thrown in the mix, Snacks gets traded

RE Wilkerson - NT Harrison - LE Richardson

with Coples at "OLB", but used differently (pretty much have a 4 man front, have Wilk move inside a couple yards and instead of standing up let Coples play out of the 3 point stance which he does best). Snacks gets re-signed & Ellis walks

Those are really our only 2 options I figure. There's no way you let Wilkerson & Richardson start at DE and have Coples back them up. Those 2 guys play like almost every snap, and they should, it doesn't affect them and they get better the longer the game lasts. You don't cut their snaps in half just to get Coples out there. So what do we do? I'm very excited to see what Bowles is going to be able to get out of this defense where he just doesn't have to blitz AT ALL in order to generate pass rush.

I think Coples is a stud that has been playing the wrong position. Bowles seems to be a guy who doesnt force a position on a guy but puts that guy in the best position to make plays. Coples is going to explode. People have been waiting for it for years I know, but lets not forget we've been having morons run this program. 

I think Coples playing his natural D.E postion allows us to trade Mo, I did not notice any drop IFC with Coples playing D.E when Mo was out last year.

I said this a few weeks back and the point was met with personal feelings on Wilkerson and not the obvious. Quinton Coples can play the position well enough to make Wilkerson available for trade. Giving Wilkerson 10 million a year for 6 years is asinine when you can give Coples 6 million for 6 right now. Im not as enamored with Wilkerson as many are. He is a fine player, but some of the numbers that poeple have thrown out there is just ridiculous like 85 million

I think Coples playing his natural D.E postion allows us to trade Mo, I did not notice any drop IFC with Coples playing D.E when Mo was out last year.

You don't trade Mo...

Why would you do that? for a QB maybe - or for a position player of his skill set in a position of need (but you're going to have to pay that person Wilk money)  Def. do not trade him for draft picks...

Trade Mo so we can hope to draft another stud?  When you're lucky enough to draft a guy like Mo you keep him.

Just like we should have kept Revis.  When all's said and done we should still have Revis and have $35mm in cap space now instead of $45mm

You don't trade Mo...

Why would you do that? for a QB maybe - or for a position player of his skill set in a position of need (but you're going to have to pay that person Wilk money)  Def. do not trade him for draft picks...

Trade Mo so we can hope to draft another stud?  When you're lucky enough to draft a guy like Mo you keep him.

Just like we should have kept Revis.  When all's said and done we should still have Revis and have $35mm in cap space now instead of $45mm

You don't trade Mo...

then trade for Foles. Also, what exactly is Wilkerson money because it sure as hell aint some of the numbers i seen on this site

We can't trade any DL, IMO. I would go as far as saying we could even have more DL. When you're in the same division as Tom Brady the more the better.

Look at tomorrow's games-or pretty much any top tier team-and the one thing they all have in common is a stud QB. As the Giants proved in SB 42 and 46, getting aftter these guys with a loaded front is really the only way to beat em.

I agree that It's exciting the early word on Bowles is he designs around the talent he has on hand, but remember when the giants drafted more DL and everyone was saying,"why the heck are they drafting ANOTHER one?" Well, two rings later maybe they weren't so wrong after all.

Yes, put Coples hand in the dirt. But, no, that does not mean we should deal Mo. That means our DL is deep, and that can go a long way to help us slay the dragon.

then trade for Foles. Also, what exactly is Wilkerson money because it sure as hell aint some of the numbers i seen on this site

I wouldn't trade Mo for Foles - Foles isn't the answer - you're not winning a Super Bowl with him (especially if you're giving up your best defensive player)

you may have to pay Mo $10-$12

I doubt Mo gets traded. I know it's not a big deal but him and Bowles they're both Temple guys and Bowles is not going to trade one of the best defensive players in the league for a draft pick when you don't even know what's gonna be available there. In the end if things don't work out you draft another D-Lineman who might turn out to be a bust, or a LB or a receiver, whatever. Then you watch Mo be an All Pro for somebody else, those moves can get you fired pretty quick. Mo is a Jet, no way we trade him.

I'm sick of watching my team trade it's best players over and over again, only to watch them succeed on another team while we sit there scratching our heads wondering why do the Jets ALWAYS do that?  

Agreed. We have 50 mil under the cap before we let guys like Harris etc walk. We have no reason in the world to trade Mo right now. We have enough holes as it is. Why ,ale another one?  Coples has all the talent in the world, but the issue for him coming out of school was his laziness. We have seen that become a reality since he's been here. Thinking he will slide in and replace Wilk is just silliness. WE have an above average D line. Let's leave it alone for God's sakes and fill out the back end to support those guys.

Oh.... and get a QB. :D   I'm all for getting Cousins in here and beefing up our O line to protect him. The skill position guys are good IMO maybe adding another WR and TE.

I wouldn't trade Mo for Foles - Foles isn't the answer - you're not winning a Super Bowl with him (especially if you're giving up your best defensive player)

you may have to pay Mo $10-$12

How do you know Foles isn't the answer? Whats wrong with Foles? Question, we won 4 games with Mo Wilkerson this year with Geno as our QB, do you think that we would have won less games with Foles at QB and Coples at DE? Seriously, think about that. 

I wouldnt go anywhere over 10 million a year, and I wouldnt do a 6 year deal I would do 5. Give him a 5 year 45-50 million dollar deal max.  

Agreed. We have 50 mil under the cap before we let guys like Harris etc walk. We have no reason in the world to trade Mo right now. We have enough holes as it is. Why ,ale another one?  Coples has all the talent in the world, but the issue for him coming out of school was his laziness. We have seen that become a reality since he's been here. Thinking he will slide in and replace Wilk is just silliness. WE have an above average D line. Let's leave it alone for God's sakes and fill out the back end to support those guys.

Oh.... and get a QB. :biggrin:   I'm all for getting Cousins in here and beefing up our O line to protect him. The skill position guys are good IMO maybe adding another WR and TE.

No we haven't. 

IMO most of Coples big plays , come off a missed blocking assignment. Most of the time when a LT gets a hand on him, he is like a lamb.

Thats not because he's lazy brother, its because he's not a freaking outside linebacker. His strength isn't being utilized. Go back and watch that Dolphin/Jets game week 17 and tell me if you seen a guy who plays lazy and was getting dominated by an offensive lineman. 

Curious to see how Coples, Demario Davis, Milliner, and Pryor respond to the new coaching. I think Pryor and Coples will benefit by not having their hands held, as well as by Bowles (presumably) putting them in better positions in a more flexible scheme. Milliner won't be asked to be Revis on every play, either.

Thats not because he's lazy brother, its because he's not a freaking outside linebacker. His strength isn't being utilized. Go back and watch that Dolphin/Jets game week 17 and tell me if you seen a guy who plays lazy and was getting dominated by an offensive lineman. 

You know I love you mon, but week 17, when season is over and both Phins and Jets are booking tee-times.....The 1/2 dozen games I saw, Coples did mostly rien,nada. The hope was that he was to be Robert Quinn part deux. Not even close. Can Bowles makes him better perhaps. I would trade Coples, maybe you get a 3rd or 4th rd pick

Curious to see how Coples, Demario Davis, Milliner, and Pryor respond to the new coaching. I think Pryor and Coples will benefit by not having their hands held, as well as by Bowles (presumably) putting them in better positions in a more flexible scheme. Milliner won't be asked to be Revis on every play, either.

Coples always has had inconsistent issues, but you are also right that Rex mis-used his skill set. Is his limited skill set helpful; to Jets? Thats for Bowles to decide.

Milliners done. Two knee injuries? I don't ever want to see him again. Him and his knee go go deal crack in Florida.

Thats always been the problem with a lot of these guys. Milliner has always been expected to be Revis instead of expected to do his assignment. Milliner wasnt being groomed, neither was Coples. Coples wasnt placed at OLB because he was great at the position, he was placed there because of his measurables that would make him a freak at the position if he able to be successful at it. He wasnt, and instead of putting him back to where he can be productive they instead kept him playing a position where he couldn't contribute to the defense. 

Look what they did with Antonio Allen. Last year the guy was coming into his own, Rex decided to rejoin his Baltimore years and sit him for a guy who was obviously washed up. Then this year they play him at Corner, nickel, linebacker, Free safety, strong safety etc. completely destroying his confidence and his year. Don't even get me started on the travesty called the offense and how that has gone down the drain the past 4 years. 

Was that the same game where Geno had a perfect passer rating?  I watch every game as you know and was actually on the field during the particular game you mentioned. Coples comes on when he wants to come on. When he wants to he can be dominant. He also disappears for long periods. That was the knock on him coming out of college and very little has changed no matter what position he's playing.

I agree he's been out of position and hope just like you that a return (which hasn't been mentioned by the new staff yet) to the line will bring more consistent play, but to justify trading an above average D lineman in Wilk with the backup plan being Coples is a little too risky in my book.

The one thing I hate about the offseason is when you have most likely very young fans coming up with stupid trade scenarios! There's not a Chance in Hell that MO will be traded! The whole idea of the draft is to find great players! You don't trade away the ones that you find! Jeez.

Milliner will be asked to play 16 whole games. Nothing more. Nothing less. 

He will fail and he will be cut.

Not much of a story arc I know, and I lack any true character development, but that is the way this will go and end. I'm terribly sorry.

I can't see Mo walking no matter who the coach was. Coples I think will be brought back to the Dline, And he will be used in more sub packages. It is not like you want your three starters to play all 66 defensive snaps. I see wilk sliding to nose  when Snacks needs a rest and Coples just straight up subing for Wilk and Richardson. Coples will also be brought in at times to play a straight 4 man front with Babin on the other side and Mow and Richardson over the guards.

You know I love you mon, but week 17, when season is over and both Phins and Jets are booking tee-times.....The 1/2 dozen games I saw, Coples did mostly rien,nada. The hope was that he was to be Robert Quinn part deux. Not even close. Can Bowles makes him better perhaps. I would trade Coples, maybe you get a 3rd or 4th rd pick

You're not getting a 3rd/4th round pick for Coples. The Seahawks couldn't even get that for a guy who has actually produced in this league in Percy Harvin. 

That week 17 "season over' position is nonsense and here's why. The Jets season wasnt over in week 17, it was over in week in week 9 after losing their 8th game in a row to the Chiefs. MAYBE they would have gotten in to the playoffs with a 9-7 record if they were able to win out. Remember, the Jets still had 6 AFC games after week 9, with the majority of them being in their own division. When the Jets lost their 8th game of the season thats when their season ended. 

Week 17 only meant that both teams were playing for pride, and that score surely didnt seem like it was a game that was being thrown to the wolves. All of the starters played besides Mike Wallace who took himself out of the game with a tantrum. You can't discredit him like that because if he stayed at outside linebacker and didnt have a good game you'd be talking about how yet another game Coples looked lazy and didnt produce. Now that his hands are in the dirt and he's on the line blowing it up suddenly no one has nothing to play for..... but the lazy guy. Doesnt sound real consistent for a guy who's lazy brother. 

The one thing I hate about the offseason is when you have most likely very young fans coming up with stupid trade scenarios! There's not a Chance in Hell that MO will be traded! The whole idea of the draft is to find great players! You don't trade away the ones that you find! Jeez.

The other pet peeve are the posters who recommend college players without even watching them play, they see the Kipers of the world  thumbnails... Guess what Kiper is not even a scout. 

You're not getting a 3rd/4th round pick for Coples. The Seahawks couldn't even get that for a guy who has actually produced in this league in Percy Harvin. 

That week 17 "season over' position is nonsense and here's why. The Jets season wasnt over in week 17, it was over in week in week 9 after losing their 8th game in a row to the Chiefs. MAYBE they would have gotten in to the playoffs with a 9-7 record if they were able to win out. Remember, the Jets still had 6 AFC games after week 9, with the majority of them being in their own division. When the Jets lost their 8th game of the season thats when their season ended. 

Week 17 only meant that both teams were playing for pride, and that score surely didnt seem like it was a game that was being thrown to the wolves. All of the starters played besides Mike Wallace who took himself out of the game with a tantrum. You can't discredit him like that because if he stayed at outside linebacker and didnt have a good game you'd be talking about how yet another game Coples looked lazy and didnt produce. Now that his hands are in the dirt and he's on the line blowing it up suddenly no one has nothing to play for..... but the lazy guy. Doesnt sound real consistent for a guy who's lazy brother. 

Coples is cheap, Harvin wasn't. Some team who rated Coples high, may take a flyer on him.

Was that the same game where Geno had a perfect passer rating?  I watch every game as you know and was actually on the field during the particular game you mentioned. Coples comes on when he wants to come on. When he wants to he can be dominant. He also disappears for long periods. That was the knock on him coming out of college and very little has changed no matter what position he's playing.

I agree he's been out of position and hope just like you that a return (which hasn't been mentioned by the new staff yet) to the line will bring more consistent play, but to justify trading an above average D lineman in Wilk with the backup plan being Coples is a little too risky in my book.

The knock on him coming out of college is irrelevant at this point. Everyone's a critic. If these critics were all correct then JJ Watt would have been #1 in the draft and Wilson would have been a 1st round pick. The only thing relevant here is that Coples has been playing out of position for 2 of the 3 years that he's been a pro. You can't critique a guy saying he's "not good at what he's obviously good at" by using the very thing (OLB position) that he's not good at. 

The fact that Geno had a perfect passer rating shows that there's talent. The fact that Sanchez did as much in regards to career highlights in 5 games with Philly that he had accumulated in 5 years in new york isn't an indictment on Mark Sanchez but the coaching staff. Geno could very well be a system QB, nothing wrong with that. I remember when Kurt Warner was looking like the worst QB anyone has ever seen with the Giants only after looking like one of the best QB's anyone has ever seen with the Rams. He goes and signs with Arizona and he's back to looking like the man. Imagine if Kurt Warner started his career with the Giants and that offensive scheme. Now imagine Geno Smith starting his career in an offense that he understands with proven coaches that gets the most out of their players. 

Like I said, people can discredit Geno's QBR in week 17 as well as Coples performance and chalk it up to it being "week 17" or "when they feel like it". When no one develops for years then thats a coaching problem. When Vick and Pryor can both say publicly that they didnt practice and wasnt ready thats a coaching problem. I guess that dont count. 

I swear some people dont know anything about Coples.

His natural position is DEFENSIVE TACKLE, not defensive end. And definitely not OLB.

Please tell me why he is a tackle and not an DE and in what alignment? You see Dunlop from Cinci, you see how he aligns over the RT outside shoulder. That is where Coples should play, you put him on the inside of that tackles shoulder and he will get washed.

Archived