I'd much prefer a DB from NE not named Revis

Sully28

Devin McCourty, he's a great talent, a true FS which means we can move Pryor to SS (the Safety position he is much better suited for). That makes us relatively set at the Safety position with a great tandem (I think Pryor will thrive at SS). Revis is great, but why waste the money on an older guy who is nearing the end of his prime, when you can just sign a stop-gap corner in Cromartie or Flowers or draft a CB high. This team needs youth, we're not a CB away from competing, neither are we a FS from competing, but I think it's a better long term move. 

Devin McCourty, he's a great talent, a true FS which means we can move Pryor to SS (the Safety position he is much better suited for). That makes us relatively set at the Safety position with a great tandem (I think Pryor will thrive at SS). Revis is great, but why waste the money on an older guy who is nearing the end of his prime, when you can just sign a stop-gap corner in Cromartie or Flowers or draft a CB high. This team needs youth, we're not a CB away from competing

Devin McCourty, he's a great talent, a true FS which means we can move Pryor to SS (the Safety position he is much better suited for). That makes us relatively set at the Safety position with a great tandem (I think Pryor will thrive at SS). Revis is great, but why waste the money on an older guy who is nearing the end of his prime, when you can just sign a stop-gap corner in Cromartie or Flowers or draft a CB high. This team needs youth, we're not a CB away from competing, neither are we a FS from competing, but I think it's a better long term move. 

Agree 100% great post 

I think McCourty stays and the pats will pay him close to the market. but if he wants the 9mill a year that Byrd got from the saints or Berry and Earl Thomas, the pats wont go there. But if he wants Kam Chancellor/ Eric Weddle money at 7mill I think he stays.

I'd be real pissed if the Pats don't lock up McCourty.

The guy is very good.

I agree 100% I would take 2 cb's from this group Cro,Shrine,Maxwell, Flowers & Culliver

I think it's even better that the Pats are so set on re-signing Revis, it will make the Pats tighter on cap and make them re think even giving McCourty a big contract, I don't care who you are (even us) signing Revis and McCourty, two top tier DBs is tough on the cap and it forces you to make do with whatever money you have left. I feel like McCourty will walk, and the Jets would be dumb to not be interested.

I think it's even better that the Pats are so set on re-signing Revis, it will make the Pats tighter on cap and make them re think even giving McCourty a big contract, I don't care who you are (even us) signing Revis and McCourty, two top tier DBs is tough on the cap and it forces you to make do with whatever money you have left. I feel like McCourty will walk, and the Jets would be dumb to not be interested.

What do you mean by a big contract, I think the pats will offer to make him the 4th highest paid in the game. After Berry, Thomas and Byrd. those three are better players, The Value of Weddle and Kam Chancelor is where I put him. If the jets or Oakland pay him 10 mill, the pats can't compete.   

I agree 100% I would take 2 cb's from this group Cro,Shrine,Maxwell, Flowers & Culliver

I'd love at least one solid corner who you can put out there and have them start every game and not be a liability in pass coverage/man to man. Let Milliner, McDougle, and Williams fight it out for the second corner spot. It'd be nice to have a safety net behind mcdougle and milliner because the possibility of them both being injured at the same time is high and enough to make you nervous. So drafting a corner in 3rd-4th wouldn't e a horrible idea

What do you mean by a big contract, I think the pats will offer to make him the 4th highest paid in the game. After Berry, Thomas and Byrd. those three are better players, The Value of Weddle and Kam Chancelor is where I put him. If the jets or Oakland pay him 10 mill, the pats can't compete.

Well my logic there is that if the Pats give Revis a huge deal (which he'll probably command, knowing him). Do the pats have enough money to re-sign McCourty and make him the 4th highest paid safety in the league, while still re-signing other players and filling out the rest of their roster? I'll admit I'm unaware of their cap situation but Revis and McCourty together will probably cost a team around 20 million combined in cap space do the pats have that and could they fill out the rest of their roster (re-signing other players, and draft picks) with te remaining cash?

Bowles has been linked to Philadelphia FS, Nate Allen, and has toyed with playing Antonio Cromartie at FS last year in ARI.

I'd like to see us nab Kareem Jackson, with our Maccaggy connection, to man the CB1 spot, and have Cro compete with Milliner, Phillips, McDougle, and Williams for the CB2 spot.

If it's close, I'd move Cro to centerfield, a la Kerry Rhodes role, and be cool with our secondary.

Revis is getting up there in age. His days of being elite and shutdown man corner are coming to an end. He just won his first Super Bowl. I bet he works a deal to stick around with the Pats and finish out his career being the turncoat that he is.

How is he a turn coat? The Jets traded him to Tampa. lol

I wonder about some of you guys

Well my logic there is that if the Pats give Revis a huge deal (which he'll probably command, knowing him). Do the pats have enough money to re-sign McCourty and make him the 4th highest paid safety in the league, while still re-signing other players and filling out the rest of their roster? I'll admit I'm unaware of their cap situation but Revis and McCourty together will probably cost a team around 20 million combined in cap space do the pats have that and could they fill out the rest of their roster (re-signing other players, and draft picks) with te remaining cash?

Yes they could, right now they are 2 mill over the cap, but that includes the allotment for the rookie pool, practice squad the whole thing. Right now Revis Cap number is 25 mill for next year. Wilfork is scheduled to make 8.5 and Mayo 9 mill. They have to get Revis for the 13 mill a year  that Sherman, Haden and Peterson Signed for. That will save 12mil, Wilfork and Mayo (27 missed games last 2 years) will have to cut those salaries down by 1/2 that is another 8 mil giving the pats 20 mill to spend on, Gostowski, Ayers, McCourty, Branch,  and a couple of other 2 mill a year guys. 

The pats won't be big player's for other team's guys but won't be players at all unless Revis leaves. 

Yes. This.

I agree. I'd rather sure up the secondary with a guy who can still play at top level 5 years from now. Put prior in that SS position and we'll be good to go. 

How is that such a far fetched idea? Revis or McCourty hitting the open market is very possible

McCourty is staying. He loves it in N.E. and he does great things in his community. He is not leaving and the pats started on a long term deal w Revis, whether that turns out that he stays in NE, remains to be seen. But they are looking to resign him before Apr 1.

Also the salary cap goes up this year as well.

McCourty is staying. He loves it in N.E. and he does great things in his community. He is not leaving and the pats started on a long term deal w Revis, whether that turns out that he stays in NE, remains to be seen. But they are looking to resign him before Apr 1.

Also the salary cap goes up this year as well.

So McCourty is staying because he loves NE? I mean I just don't get the logic there, the Pats may not be willing to give McCourty, Kam Chancellor money, after giving Revis Peterson money. You act as if McCourty will play for 500K a year because he loves NE, if he feels he could garner 3-4 million a year more on the open market, he'll leave. I realize you're a Pat fan and hate the idea of a losing a good player, but it could very well happen. You saying McCourty is staying like it's fact isn't going to change this. So far I've heard the Pats are trying very hard to re-sign Revis and virtually nothing about them trying to re-sign McCourty, it seems Revis is their priority (from the outside looking of course).

Archived