2015 New York Yankees Baseball Thread

Jetlife33

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

“It happened on the headfirst slide, I think, in the first inning (last night) and then got worse and worse,” Girardi said. “My plans were to play him today, but then he came in and couldn’t turn his head. He’s got a little kink in it.”

“You have to understand when you play 33 games in 34 days, you’re going to have to pick your spots,” Girardi said. “You want to run them out there every day — this was not a day that I planned on giving Gardy off, he’s had a ton of success off Buerhle — but just sometimes, things just happen.”

• As expected, Jose Pirela is active and playing second base today. Sounds like Pirela will take basically the exact role Petit had earlier in the season, and it’s to be determined whether Pirela could hit his way into more regular playing time. “He’s going to play against lefties, and we’ll see how it goes,” Girardi said. “I didn’t make any promises to anyone, we’ll just see how it goes, and how he’s doing.”

• Although the Yankees typically have some speed on the bench with Chris Young, Girardi said he sees Pirela as a bigger base-running threat. “Yeah. He’s pretty quick,” Giradri said. “He’s not Ellsbury or Gardner, but he’s pretty quick. He’s a guy that’s going to score on balls in the gap from first base.”

• Chris Capuano is starting for Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre tomorrow. He’s scheduled for five innings or 75 pitches. The Yankees would like to get him up to 90 pitches before activating him from the disabled list.

Roster Move: As you can tell from the lineup, Pirela (concussion) has been activated off the DL. Gregorio Petit was placed on the 15-day DL with a right hand contusion in a corresponding move, the Yankees announced. Petit took a pitch to the hand last night and the various reporters say it was pretty swollen today. Timing worked out well.

Tonight

RHP Nathan Eovaldi (2-0, 3.81)

vs.

RHP Chris Tillman (2-3, 6.23)

7:05 p.m., YES Network and MLB Network

Friday

RHP Adam Warren (2-1, 4.78)

vs.

RHP Miguel Gonzalez (3-1, 2.59)

7:05 p.m., YES Network and MLB Network

Saturday

RHP Chase Whitley (1-0, 0.75)

vs.

LHP Wei-Yin Chen (0-1, 2.83)

1:05 p.m., YES Network

Sunday

RHP Michael Pineda (4-0, 2.97)

vs.

RHP Bud Norris (1-3, 9.75)

1:05 p.m., YES Network and MLB Network

It has now been eight days since Tanaka was placed on the DL, and this afternoon Tanaka threw for the first time since getting hurt. He played catch and made 50 throws at a distance of 60 feet, so it was nothing intense, but this is only the first step. Tanaka reported no problems and I assume he’ll throw again at some point this weekend.

“He threw 50 throws at 60 feet,” Girardi said. “He’ll throw again tomorrow, and we’ll just continue to progress to where he’s stretched out. Then it becomes long toss, then it becomes flat ground, then it becomes a bullpen. I’m just going to go day-by-day, just like we always do. Because, really, what you can do tomorrow depends on what happens today. Today was good, so we’ll take the next step tomorrow and see exactly what he does.”

Ellsbury, Gardner, AROD and Tex are carrying this team offensively. Decent starting pitching as a whole and a lights out bullpen thus far, the defense has really turned it around and are playing solid. Yanks now 18-11 and still in 1st place in the ALE.

3B Eric Jagielo: 2-4, 1 R, 1 HR, 1 RBI — tied the game with a solo homer in the eighth, his fifth of the year, which is tied for the league lead with OF Aaron Judge, among others … nine of his last dozen hits have gone for extra bases (seven doubles, two homers)

Good win tonight.

Gonna be interesting to see what the Yankees do when Tanaka, Capuano, and Nova are all healthly. Also have Bryan Mitchell knocking on the door. 

LHP Chris Capuano: 4.2 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 4 K, 6/2 GB/FB — 47 of 72 pitches were strikes (65%) … he was scheduled for 75 pitches in his second rehab start … seems like the plan is to have Capuano make one more rehab start to get up to 90 pitches before being activated off the DL.

Archived