2015 New York Yankees Baseball Thread

Jetlife33

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This inning has gotten UGLY

Cruising for 5 innings, then got the ball up in the 6th.  Even the 1st two outs of the inning were mistakes.

I love the bullpen, but the really need some 7 inning starts from the starters.

The Yankees are done with the Red Sox and will head to Toronto in the morning. Apparently they’re staying in Boston tonight. They open a three-game set with the Blue Jays on Monday night. Chase Whitley and R.A. Dickey will be the pitching matchup.

• Gardner has a six-game hitting streak, and today’s included his second home run of the year. He’s had three RBI in consecutive games for the first time. … Of Mark Teixeira’s 17 hits this season, 14 have gone for extra bases. Tonight he hit his team-leading ninth home run. … Carlos Beltran had his second straight two-hit game. He actually leads the team in doubles, believe it or not. … Like Gardner, Chase Headley has a six-game hitting streak.

• For the third straight start, Warren had to come out after 5.2 innings. “I got two quick outs,” he said. “Maybe I just tried to do too much. I just threw a lot of pitches, got behind in the counts and kinda got away from my strengths a little bit. So I just kinda think trying to do a little too much instead of just trusting my stuff.”

• Meanwhile, Ellsbury was on base six times tonight, including four hits before he was hit by a pitch as clear retaliation in the eighth. “I didn’t even feel it,” Ellsbury said. “He’s just lucky I didn’t steal two bases off of him. … Maybe they didn’t want me to get another hit.”

• For the third straight start, Warren had to come out after 5.2 innings. “I got two quick outs,” he said. “Maybe I just tried to do too much. I just threw a lot of pitches, got behind in the counts and kinda got away from my strengths a little bit. So I just kinda think trying to do a little too much instead of just trusting my stuff.”

He just lost it in the 6th.  Even those first 2 outs were up.   His pitch count was in the high 80s I think going into the inning, he shouldn't have been that tired.

Tonight

RHP Chase Whitley (1-0, 1.80)

vs.

RHP R.A. Dickey (0-3, 5.23)

7:07 p.m., YES Network

Tuesday

RHP Michael Pineda (3-0, 3.73)

vs.

RHP Marco Estrada (1-0, 0.84)

Wednesday

LHP CC Sabathia (0-4, 5.40)

vs.

LHP Mark Buehrle (3-2, 6.75)

• Healthy days off for Mark Teixeira and Brian McCann. With last night’s late game and a flight late this morning — the Yankees just got into Toronto a few hours ago — Girardi felt this was a good time to sit each of them. He said he’ll try to give most guys at least one day off on this turf.

• Why in the world is Stephen Drew batting fifth? Mostly because he’s a career .333/.400/.500 hitter against Blue Jays starter R.A. Dickey. The only Yankees player with a higher career OPS against the knuckleballer is Garrett Jones, who’s also in the lineup today. “Drew’s probably had as much success off Dickey as anyone we have,” Girardi said. “The three guys who have had a lot of success are Drew, Ellsbury and Garrett Jones, so I kind of split them up a little bit because of the left-handers they have. We’ll see how it works.”

• Speaking of the turf, they’ve changed it here in Toronto. It looks great, but it already has a reputation within in the league. “I heard it’s slow,” Girardi said. “I heard it really slows down the ball. We’ll get a better idea what it’s like tonight, but until you go out there, you’re really not going to know.”

Archived