Geno’s Strong Finish: Cause for Optimism, or Fool’s Gold?

JetNation

I don't want to play this game.  I have seen him play.  There are things he has done wrong that you should never do, even if you are playing with your Pop Warner team against the Madden All-Stars.  He goes in a funk.  He turns it over.  Is he better with better players around him?  Duh.  I have no faith in him, the coaches don't appear to have any faith in him.  If you do, you're a better man than I am, Gunga Din.  He does have a decent enough ceiling which is why they will give him an opportunity to start - I think it will be pretty telling how quickly he earns or loses Gailey's trust. 

The Question is what is Fitzy's ceiling, IMO it is very low, and he starts this is a another wasted year with Revis in fold. Why sign revis when all you have is a journeyman like fitzy is. If chan doesnt think he can help geno, you go for rivers. this meaningful game in nov-dec is a bunch of crap.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't want to play this game.  I have seen him play.  There are things he has done wrong that you should never do, even if you are playing with your Pop Warner team against the Madden All-Stars.  He goes in a funk.  He turns it over.  Is he better with better players around him?  Duh.  I have no faith in him, the coaches don't appear to have any faith in him.  If you do, you're a better man than I am, Gunga Din.  He does have a decent enough ceiling which is why they will give him an opportunity to start - I think it will be pretty telling how quickly he earns or loses Gailey's trust. 

I think fortunate we improved secondary so much and Bowles a blitzing coach,, I think Jets will throw him inb with teh 1's on Off vs the 1's on Def in camp real quick to see if 'he has it'.. Much of this predicated on Fitz healthy or drafted QB looking good/bad

The Question is what is Fitzy's ceiling, IMO it is very low, and he starts this is a another wasted year with Revis in fold. Why sign revis when all you have is a journeyman like fitzy is. If chan doesnt think he can help geno, you go for rivers. this meaningful game in nov-dec is a bunch of crap.

Would love rivers, I fear he may go to tenn. in trade,,

fitz , not great at all, but would 'probably' game manage better than Geno , but that only helps if Ddefense plays lights out.. if they dont, fitz or geno arent getting you 24 pts a game

I think fortunate we improved secondary so much and Bowles a blitzing coach,, I think Jets will throw him inb with teh 1's on Off vs the 1's on Def in camp real quick to see if 'he has it'.. Much of this predicated on Fitz healthy or drafted QB looking good/bad

Would love rivers, I fear he may go to tenn. in trade,,

fitz , not great at all, but would 'probably' game manage better than Geno , but that only helps if Ddefense plays lights out.. if they dont, fitz or geno arent getting you 24 pts a game

I think that is the purpose.  Fitzpatrick is the floor.  Geno is kind of a wild card.  Maybe Gailey can get something out of him, but if he can't I am extremely worried about the kid's future. 

You should be President of the "Could-a, Would-a, Should-a Club". The road to another 4 win season is paved with the litany of excuses for Geno simply not being a competent NFL starting QB. Fortunately, new Jets' management appears to worship at the altar of results.

Oh yeah, totally forgot we traded for a future hall of fame QB.

I think that is the purpose.  Fitzpatrick is the floor.  Geno is kind of a wild card.  Maybe Gailey can get something out of him, but if he can't I am extremely worried about the kid's future. 

Why would you be worried about his future? Im sure he'll get 'picked' by BK to flip some burgers. I'd be worried about the Jets future.

Exactly. You were making it out to be that way with the "results" part. We didn't pick up a QB who's better than Geno. At least not yet.

Huh?  What kind of pretzel logic is this?  On his worst day, Fitz is an exponentially better QB than Geno.    And Fitz is merely a competent NFL QB.  That is why Geno is very likely done as a starter.

Huh?  What kind of pretzel logic is this?  On his worst day, Fitz is an exponentially better QB than Geno.    And Fitz is merely a competent NFL QB.  That is why Geno is very likely done as a starter.

I would say this is very likely to happen... BUT, if Geno becomes a Miracle turnaround, it only helps Jet sand ergo, I am cool with it..

Bleed Green, no matter what!!

I would say this is very likely to happen... BUT, if Geno becomes a Miracle turnaround, it only helps Jet sand ergo, I am cool with it..

Bleed Green, no matter what!!

Absolutey.  And "miracle" is a good description of what it will take. 

Fitz has been in the league for how long?  Through his first 5 years in the NFL, his best season had a QB rating of 70 n had more picks than TDs in every season he played. Geno's second season, in which he had those two horrible games u mentioned, his QB rating was 77 and had as many TDs as ints. Can you name Geno's starting WRs from his first one and a half season?

And now Mr. Beard is on the back end of his career.

Fitz has been in the league for how long?  Through his first 5 years in the NFL, his best season had a QB rating of 70 n had more picks than TDs in every season he played. Geno's second season, in which he had those two horrible games u mentioned, his QB rating was 77 and had as many TDs as ints. Can you name Geno's starting WRs from his first one and a half season?

Don't disagree, but 32 is not that old for a QB.  Not since they installed the flag football rulebook.  The guy isn't going to get touched, physically he will probably be able to outlast a rookie deal.

Don't disagree, but 32 is not that old for a QB.  Not since they installed the flag football rulebook.  The guy isn't going to get touched, physically he will probably be able to outlast a rookie deal.

Exactly.  He is a bridge to the Jets' next shot at a "franchise" QB.   Less likely to outright lose games for the team, which is an improvement over what we've had.   

Who cares about what Fitz did in his first 5 years?  Now is what counts. The last 3 seasons he has thrown for 55 TD's against 36 INT's with ratings of 83, 82 and 95 respectively.  That is what we are getting. 

Who cares about what Fitz did in his first 5 years? Now is what counts. The last 3 seasons he has thrown for 55 TD's against 36 INT's with ratings of 83, 82 and 95 respectively. That is what we are getting.

Not really. We are talking about long term, not short term success. And even I. Short term, Geno is better than the Beard simply cuz he'll be more mature and improved than last year. And The Beard has peaked. He's not getting any better.

Exactly. He is a bridge to the Jets' next shot at a "franchise" QB. Less likely to outright lose games for the team, which is an improvement over what we've had.

In search of our next franchise QB, shouldn't we be playing Geno? If he sucks, you get another shot at the likes of Winstons and Mariottas. If he doesn't suck, then we don't need to look at a QB. Beard, we know, isn't going to become the next Rich Gannon.

In search of our next franchise QB, shouldn't we be playing Geno? If he sucks, you get another shot at the likes of Winstons and Mariottas. If he doesn't suck, then we don't need to look at a QB. Beard, we know, isn't going to become the next Rich Gannon.

No.  Make that, HELL NO. 

I'm so sick and tired of hearing about how well he played at the end of the year....it was 1 game. Look at his body of work, he is what he is, a methodically slow QB that makes horrible reads at times and is wildly inconsistent. He is now and always will be that guy. Cut bait and move on he was a second round pick that went too high. And he can't tell time.

I'm so sick and tired of hearing about how well he played at the end of the year....it was 1 game. Look at his body of work, he is what he is, a methodically slow QB that makes horrible reads at times and is wildly inconsistent. He is now and always will be that guy. Cut bait and move on he was a second round pick that went too high. And he can't tell time.

Then you better draft one or trade for one, cause Fitzy is a backup at best

Fitz is clearly a hold the fort guy, but he can manage a game much better than Geno. He is a much smarter QB and while not a franchise QB you can win with him. I do think the jets will trade or draft our QB of the future but it might not be this year. It's beyond me why any educated jet fan thinks that Geno is gonna get the keys to the car so to speak. Last year the car was a beater, this year it's a brand new car. No way the reckless bum gets the keys, no way. They have revamped the entire team and reenergized the fan base and Geno is the man? GTFO here. I watched him in college and watched every jet game. If I can see he sucks, the staff of the jets can see it. They just aren't showing their hand and why would they. They draft is a cat and mouse game. We will have a much better idea after the draft of what the new regime thinks but I for one think they are done with Geno. That's my 2 cents.

Agreed that he was inconsistent.

My question for you: when did he have two healthy starting caliber WRs that he had played/practiced with for more than 7 days? Starting from game one. It was that first Miami game. His 25th or something game in the NFL. Agreed or not?

Fitz is clearly a hold the fort guy, but he can manage a game much better than Geno. He is a much smarter QB and while not a franchise QB you can win with him. I do think the jets will trade or draft our QB of the future but it might not be this year. It's beyond me why any educated jet fan thinks that Geno is gonna get the keys to the car so to speak. Last year the car was a beater, this year it's a brand new car. No way the reckless bum gets the keys, no way. They have revamped the entire team and reenergized the fan base and Geno is the man? GTFO here. I watched him in college and watched every jet game. If I can see he sucks, the staff of the jets can see it. They just aren't showing their hand and why would they. They draft is a cat and mouse game. We will have a much better idea after the draft of what the new regime thinks but I for one think they are done with Geno. That's my 2 cents.

No question Fitz is backup, but in our sad case a hold fort starter over Geno, AT THIS POINT. No one knows what Geno's brain learned over summer or if Gailey works Magic on him.

If our D plays lights out u can get away w/Fitz, maybe not the 2014 Geno. If Defense is aveerage , Fitz/Geno both give us 4-6 Ws

• 2 weeks later...

GENO BACK TO PASS ------LOOKS LEFT TO MARSHALL .....ANNND ITS ANOTHER PICK 6, SMITHS 3RD INTERCEPTION TODAY, AND THE JETS LOSE AGAIN.  Their defense has had them in every game thus far..............................

Thats more likely than smith to marshall for a TD.  

The jets are not going to show their hand right now in the NFL game of cat and mouse leading up to the 2015 draft.  That we all agree on.  I have a sneaking suspicion thet the powers that be that are now in charge of the new york jets have little to zero fainth in Geno.  why?  well they aint blind, they didnt draft him and are not gonna let their reputation stand on a guy who has shown next to nothing over 2 years.  So while he may be getting a shot to compete they all know he probably aint the guy.  And after the Jets draft yet another Qb or trade for one then what? You cant have a crappy QB teach a rookie.  So it would stand to reason, in my headif the Jets draft a QB he will be tutored by Fitzpatrick this year.  Now yes this is just my opinion I may be wrong but I dont see any future for Geno as a starter, not on this team.  Not on any team that wants to win.  All the physical tools in the world mean nothing if you have zilch between the ears.  

Archived