Geno’s Strong Finish: Cause for Optimism, or Fool’s Gold?

JetNation

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By taking the soft yards (running) instead of forcing passes, this offense will be much better. So many of his interceptions seem to come on 1st and 2nd down (I didn't look that up, just going from memory). But by focusing on not forcing passes, there is a lot of room for improvement.

Just looked it up...

1st down 284 attempts, 14 INT's----4.9%

2nd down 245 attempts 10 INT's----4.0% 

3rd down 224 attempts 9 INT's----4.0%

Combined 4.3%

Pretty consistent

You are crazy, lol. Seriously tho, I agree with you and we are definitely in the minority on this board :-).  I think the benching was the best thing that could have happened to him and he has to know that he will be on a short leash with this coaching staff since they have no allegiance to him.  He has better weapons and hopefully a better offensive line.  The defense should be able to get off the field on third down more consistently than under Rex which should lead to better field position.   He knows he has to take better care of the ball and make better decisions; now he just has to go out and do it. 

I agree with your post. The bolded part is troubling.  Late in the year, he continually carried the ball like a loaf of bread.

I think he sometimes thinks its madden 2015.

I agree with your post. The bolded part is troubling.  Late in the year, he continually carried the ball like a loaf of bread.

I think he sometimes thinks its madden 2015.

Yeah if he continues that he will find himself firmly planted on the bench. Enough with the stupid fumbles.  Even in the Miami game, his best game of the season, he had a horrific fumble while trying to get extra yardage.  He has to be smarter than that and I am hoping Gailey is drilling that into his head every chance he gets. 

I have watched NFL for over 50 years now and its almost ALWAYS Fools Gold on a QB's good play last month of a season if a) his team eliminated form playoffs and b)some of the teams you play eliminated also or have spot wrapped up, aka, not in danger of missing playoffs.

Pressure off, teams play 2nd string to look at depth for following year and again, pressure off.

Just looked it up...

1st down 284 attempts, 14 INT's----4.9%

2nd down 245 attempts 10 INT's----4.0% 

3rd down 224 attempts 9 INT's----4.0%

Combined 4.3%

Pretty consistent

How many interceptions did he throw the last 4-5 games of the season?  Just asking because he seemed to improve in that area after his benching.   I believe he only through 2 the last 4 games.... that is progress, right ;-)?

I have watched NFL for over 50 years now and its almost ALWAYS Fools Gold on a QB's good play last month of a season if a) his team eliminated form playoffs and b)some of the teams you play eliminated also or have spot wrapped up, aka, not in danger of missing playoffs.

Pressure off, teams play 2nd string to look at depth for following year and again, pressure off.

The guy was playing for his job and football career; you really think the pressure was off??  

How many interceptions did he throw the last 4-5 games of the season?  Just asking because he seemed to improve in that area after his benching.   I believe he only through 2 the last 4 games.... that is progress, right ;-)?

not to me, pressure was off

The guy is playing for his job and football career; you really think the pressure was off??

totally. His money is in bank collecting interest. enough to where he and his kids will never work after he retires. It was off as far as winning the game and hitting playoffs. 2 different scenarios. College ball different. But Pro w/millions in bank, different scenario.

6 TD's 2 INT..and of course wk 17 vs Miami was 3 TD 0 INT...all depends on how hard you think the Dolphins were playing while Eric Decker racked up over 220 yards with Geno going 20-25.

The guy was playing for his job and football career; you really think the pressure was off??  

That should be the case every week..if so, he was terrible more often than not while playing for his job and football career.

Yeah if he continues that he will find himself firmly planted on the bench. Enough with the stupid fumbles.  Even in the Miami game, his best game of the season, he had a horrific fumble while trying to get extra yardage.  He has to be smarter than that and I am hoping Gailey is drilling that into his head every chance he gets. 

THAT is the exact play I remember. NO REASON for it.  Yet he carried it in one hand toward the sideline and got hit.

THAT is the exact play I remember. NO REASON for it.  Yet he carried it in one hand toward the sideline and got hit.

forget it, Geno is done, Jets just havent announced it yet. Its Fitz, kid we draft and Simms in Gaileys mind I think.

6 TD's 2 INT..and of course wk 17 vs Miami was 3 TD 0 INT...all depends on how hard you think the Dolphins were playing while Eric Decker racked up over 220 yards with Geno going 20-25.

So he is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.   Dophins were still in playoff hunt if I remember correctly.   He and Decker had it going that day.   I have no reason to believe he can't repeat that performance especially now that he also has Marshall opposite Decker, along with Kerley plus Amaro and Cumberland  We also now have two smash mouth backs in Ridley and Ivory along with a true blocking TE in Davis.   If the offensive line can come together, I truly believe Geno can lead this team to the playoffs assuming he wins the job over Fitz and whomever else we have in camp.   Chan Gailey may be the most important signing of this off season if he can get Geno to become the quarterback he is capable of being. 

So he is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.   Dophins were still in playoff hunt if I remember correctly.   He and Decker had it going that day.   I have no reason to believe he can't repeat that performance especially now that he also has Marshall opposite Decker, along with Kerley plus Amaro and Cumberland  We also now have two smash mouth backs in Ridley and Ivory along with a true blocking TE in Davis.   If the offensive line can come together, I truly believe Geno can lead this team to the playoffs assuming he wins the job over Fitz and whomever else we have in camp.   Chan Gailey may be the most important signing of this off season if he can get Geno to become the quarterback he is capable of being. 

We need consistency, not a repeat of his Miami performance once or twice coupled with 14 so-so or terrible performances.  If he had that kind of upside in him every start he could be "the guy".  Instead it was just an anomaly, not his true self.

No..the Dolphins were not in the playoff hunt...that game meant nothing to them and it showed.  He just heaved jump balls to Decker who beat 63 year old Cortland Finnegan who retired shortly thereafter.  Geno has been great in each of the past two seaons when playoffs are an afterthought and many of his opponents have had nothing to play for.

Sad stat...

Of Geno's 25 career TD's and 34 INT's

Weeks 1-12:

15 TD/30 INT

Weeks 14-17 with season winding down:

10 TD/4 INT's

A lot of bad QB's have good games...Browning Nagle threw for 366 yards in his NFL debut against Atlanta....the exception should not override the rule.

Don't get me wrong..I'd like to see Geno win the job in a legit competition because it would mean he has grown and shown improvement...I just have very little reason to expect he will. 

The new regime has no vested interest in Geno. They aren't going to try to salvage him. They likely want to draft their own guy.

If he's on the team next year it's because they couldn't get their hands on the QB they wanted in the draft.

The new regime has no vested interest in Geno. They aren't going to try to salvage him. They likely want to draft their own guy.

If he's on the team next year it's because they couldn't get their hands on the QB they wanted in the draft.

If they don't get Winston or Mariota, there is nobody who will come in and win the job from Geno next year.  Fitz might but that is not a given.  It is in their best interest that Geno get better.  

A lot of bad QB's have good games...Browning Nagle threw for 366 yards in his NFL debut against Atlanta....the exception should not override the rule.

Don't get me wrong..I'd like to see Geno win the job in a legit competition because it would mean he has grown and shown improvement...I just have very little reason to expect he will. 

I hear you.  I think there are plenty of reasons to think he will.  An added year of experience, better talent, better coaching etc.  It is really funny how every one keeps dismissing his improvement as the pressure was off, the teams he played had nothing to play for yada, yada, yada.  If the reverse had happened people would say, he is regressing blah, blah, blah.   

All I know is, they guy really should have been on the bench the better part of the last two years and was started way before he was ready and it showed on the field.  That said, the tools are there and with experience one can learn from their mistakes.   Of course I could be totally wrong but one way or the other we will find out.   

Nope I don't.  I will give him one more year and the coaching staff is doing the same.  I guess they don't see it either.

u think coach staff giving him 1 more year.. PR talk, thats all.. he has GREAT camp/preseason maybe, but if he isnt Superman he is NOT on field Sept 13th, trust me.

With a known Top10 defense, and getting Fitz who knows Gaileys playbook is NOT a coincidence.

This is why I am excited about our new regime.  They are approaching everything including the quarterback situation with "fresh eyes".   

http://www.metro.us/new-york/jets-say-they-haven-t-given-up-on-geno-smith-he-ll-compete-to-start/zsJodm---sCJbk0hrlmdvw/

Jets say they haven't given up on Geno Smith, he'll compete to start

They have already brought in a veteran quarterback and will work out the top three quarterbacks in this April's NFL draft, but don't think that the New York Jets have given up on Geno Smith.

At least, not yet.

Smith, set to enter his third year in the league after being a second-round pick of the Jets in 2013, is at a pivotal juncture of his career and development. It isn't make or break for the young quarterback but his future with the team and perhaps as a starter very much rests upon this offseason. But with the Jets set to work out Jameis Winston this week and having gone to the pro day for Marcus Mariota, reading the tea leaves would indicate that the Jets are set to wave the white flag on Smith. Yet tea leaves sometimes are far from reality.

It is a new regime in Florham Park with first-year head coach Todd Bowles as well as a wet-behind-the-ears general manager in Mike Maccagnan. There's no ties to Smith, in fact, veteran Ryan Fitzpatrick, who was brought in this offseason, has ties to Maccagnan and offensive coordinator Chan Gailey. But the staff isn't biased against Smith, either, as they haven't been here his first two years in the league, and this can work in Smith's favor.

“Geno is going to be given the chance to come right in and compete. It's a new coaching staff here now and they need to kick the tires on him, see what he is all about,” a league source told Metro. “All that talk about him being traded, being cut it just doesn't make sense.

“He has two seasons worth of starts and has had some big wins for us. He's not getting cut, there's too much upside to see and explore. Does that mean he's the starter? It's not a 'gimme.' He has to win it. Ryan was brought in here with the same mindset [that] the best man starts Week 1.

“But Geno is far from six-feet under around here.”

So the source is saying that there's a chance.

Last month, Metro reported that Fitzpatrick wasn't brought in just to mentor Smith but to compete for the starting job. The source again reiterated that the team thinks Fitzpatrick can be the Jets starter - “he can certainly win the job and people in this building think he can.” There's reason to understand why Smith isn't the presumptive starter heading into 2015.

Smith through two seasons has shown little if any progress. He's thrown more interceptions than touchdowns in both NFL seasons and has yet to post a winning record. More often than not, he's proven to be alright as a game manager.

What he hasn't proven is that he can win games.

“He can do more, I think everyone knows that. Mechanically, the people in that quarterback room know there's work to be done. He struggles with reading defenses still,” the source said.

“But after two years, his time here can't be written off. There's not some big movement to get rid of him. Remember, he is still on a rookie contract. Even as a backup it is still a good deal for this team.

It comes down to maturity and him taking that next step. If he can he can make things interesting around here.”

This is why I am excited about our new regime.  They are approaching everything including the quarterback situation with "fresh eyes".   

http://www.metro.us/new-york/jets-say-they-haven-t-given-up-on-geno-smith-he-ll-compete-to-start/zsJodm---sCJbk0hrlmdvw/

Jets say they haven't given up on Geno Smith, he'll compete to start

You have to be young to buy into this coach-speak.. With all the moves, playbook knowledge of Vet we go for, you seriously havent seen this PR talk before?  Its OldSchool101..

IF Geno goes lights out in camp, 'maybe', but he;'s a dunce who is worst I have ever seen in reading progressions, aka, low Football IQ, how can he learn playbook better than a Vet who played in it for 2 years before Sept 13th..Read the Tealeaves (unless Geno pulls a miracle in camp/preseason, but he has to be WAYYYY better)

u think coach staff giving him 1 more year.. PR talk, thats all.. he has GREAT camp/preseason maybe, but if he isnt Superman he is NOT on field Sept 13th, trust me.

With a known Top10 defense, and getting Fitz who knows Gaileys playbook is NOT a coincidence.

Well maybe he becomes superman ;-).   Getting Fitz was because he has history with Gailey, he came cheap and there was nothing better available; period.   I would love to trust you but I think I will trust Bowles and MacCagnan instead.   

Well maybe he becomes superman ;-).   Getting Fitz was because he has history with Gailey, he came cheap and there was nothing better available; period.   I would love to trust you but I think I will trust Bowles and MacCagnan instead.   

agree, and I firmly think Bowles and Mac are on same page as I am behind the doors,, its called read the tea leaves..  geno is horrid and dont see him a-getting better and b- learning playbook better than Fitz b4 9/13,,with our defense, knowing playbook is most important thing, aka progressions, reads etc,,i.e. geno's achilles heel.

geno panics after primary covered, turns towards goaline and scampers, virtually never hits the 2nd WR or safety valve,, like a scared cat

I hear you.  I think there are plenty of reasons to think he will.  An added year of experience, better talent, better coaching etc.  It is really funny how every one keeps dismissing his improvement as the pressure was off, the teams he played had nothing to play for yada, yada, yada.  If the reverse had happened people would say, he is regressing blah, blah, blah.   

All I know is, they guy really should have been on the bench the better part of the last two years and was started way before he was ready and it showed on the field.  That said, the tools are there and with experience one can learn from their mistakes.   Of course I could be totally wrong but one way or the other we will find out.   

You make valid points, but the thing is that when Geno has been bad, he has been absolutely horrific.  He's had prolonged stretches where he is undoubtedly the worst QB in the NFL.  Even as a rookie, that four game stretch he had when he completed fewer than 10 passes and not a single TD might be the worst stretch of QB play I have ever seen in my life. That's tough to overcome. 

As much as people say he didn't have weapons last year, he had a solid group with Harvin, Decker, Kerley, Amaro but watch the film in some of those games and he is just unable to hit wide open receivers. 

To me, it doesn't matter if your receiver is Greg Salas or Megatron...if the dude is open, hit him on a consistent basis.  When his receivers were open, he didn't.

Big picture keeping in mind the fact that this is an era when the NFL is BEGGING teams to throw the ball and score points...every rule favors the offense and passing records are seemingly broken every few weeks.

He has never thrown 4 TD's in a game

He has thrown 3 TD's only twice (vs. Atl and wk 17 this year)

He has had 11 of 29 starts in which he failed to throw a single TD pass (37%)

He has had 7 games in which he completed fewer than 10 passes

He has had just 4 games in which his TD's outnumbered his INT's (1.3%)

He has had just five games in which he threw more than 1 TD (1.6%)

He has had nine games in which he threw more than one interception

He has had only 8 games in which he did not throw an interception

Add that all together and it's tough to be optimistic...at all...but I remain hopeful.

You make valid points, but the thing is that when Geno has been bad, he has been absolutely horrific.  He's had prolonged stretches where he is undoubtedly the worst QB in the NFL.  Even as a rookie, that four game stretch he had when he completed fewer than 10 passes and not a single TD might be the worst stretch of QB play I have ever seen in my life. That's tough to overcome. 

As much as people say he didn't have weapons last year, he had a solid group with Harvin, Decker, Kerley, Amaro but watch the film in some of those games and he is just unable to hit wide open receivers. 

To me, it doesn't matter if your receiver is Greg Salas or Megatron...if the dude is open, hit him on a consistent basis.  When his receivers were open, he didn't.

Big picture keeping in mind the fact that this is an era when the NFL is BEGGING teams to throw the ball and score points...every rule favors the offense and passing records are seemingly broken every few weeks.

He has never thrown 4 TD's in a game

He has thrown 3 TD's only twice (vs. Atl and wk 17 this year)

He has had 11 of 29 starts in which he failed to throw a single TD pass (37%)

He has had 7 games in which he completed fewer than 10 passes

He has had just 4 games in which his TD's outnumbered his INT's (1.3%)

He has had just five games in which he threw more than 1 TD (1.6%)

He has had nine games in which he threw more than one interception

He has had only 8 games in which he did not throw an interception

Add that all together and it's tough to be optimistic...at all...but I remain hopeful.

ya, lights 'may' go on, but throw in learn new playbook for a guy who is horrid at progression reads, and I would be baffled if he starts. It would take Fitz's leg to be bad for Geno to start. That could happen.

ya, lights 'may' go on, but throw in learn new playbook for a guy who is horrid at progression reads, and I would be baffled if he starts. It would take Fitz's leg to be bad for Geno to start. That could happen.

Anything is possible, but his play to this point gives very little reason for optimism other than "no other choice" which is kind of where I'm at.  I'd like him to outplay Fitz since he's the younger guy, but I fully believe Fitz beats him out.

You have to be young. With all the moves, playbook knowledge of Vet we go for, you seriously havent seen this PR talk before?  Its OldSchool101..

IF Geno goes lights out in camp, 'maybe', but he;'s a dunce who is worst I have ever seen in reading progressions, aka, low Football IQ, how can he learn playbook better than a Vet who played in it for 2 years before Sept 13th..Read the Tealeaves (unless Geno pulls a miracle in camp/preseason, but he has to be WAYYYY better)

Whatever man. I can wait for it to play itself out.  I don't profess to being some all knowing genius. A little humility goes a long way my friend.  Btw I am old enough to remember Terry Bradshaw; you remember him?  His first 3 seasons makes Geno look like Andrew Luck.  That is an exageration of course but he truly sucked. Good thing you weren't the GM for Pittsburgh.  Now before you or anyone else goes apesh*t and say I am comparing Geno to Bradshaw I am simply saying that two years for a young raw qb is not enough time and players CAN improve regardless of what you THINK you know.

Btw I find it truly hilarous that no matter what is presented, if it doesn't fit your argument you just dismiss it.  So the whole article is simply PR?  Why is PR necessary?  I mean who do they feel they have to sway?  Also I think you have it backwards, if Geno and Fitz are close, they may prefer to go with the young player with upside, instead of the journeyman.

Archived