Is Matt Simms Gone? Or can Petty go to the developmental squad?

TuscanyTile2

Regardless of your opinion of Petty he'll still require one of the valuable spots on the 53-man roster.  If we place him on the practice squad he'll get scooped up.  

With all the competitions we're going to have all over the roster next season, there is absolutely no chance in hell Simms gets carried as a 4th QB.  None.  Your only "hope" is that Fitz's recovery time is much longer than initially thought.

A healthy Fitz will be our Week 1 starter.  I'm about 92 % confident of that.  So you won't have to suffer through a Geno season.  New regimes always mean new QB's.  It is in the best interests of our front office and coaching staff to go with Fitzpatrick.  A team that added as much talent as we did this offseason has to hand the keys to a veteran QB rather than a turnover machine like Geno.

By 2016 we'll be looking for another new QB and Geno will be gone (with Simms long gone, cut some time before this upcoming season).

Almost no chance Fitz is Day 1 starter unless Geno is horrific in TC

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Almost no chance Fitz is Day 1 starter unless Geno is horrific in TC

You base that belief on......what, exactly?

Fitz has a better career-to-date, knows the O-Co, knows the system, and is better at protecting the ball.

What does Geno have going for him....mobility, ok.  Beyond that, he's the last GM's guy, not Macs, not Bowles.  

What advantages are you seeing that I'm not?

If you're going to pull the Rex card, also remember how terrible we were at evaluating QB's (not just coaching them up, evaluating before they arrived) during the entire Rex era. Do you really think that despite whiffing on Sanchez, Geno, McElroy, Vick, etc. that we somehow found a gem in Matt Simms and didn't know it? And if Simms is really a player, why did Macc/Bowles/Chan opt to bring in 3 new QB's this early into their tenures? Did they miss on their evaluation of Simms too?

Come on.

Because you can't go to TC with 1 QB. Jesus. You want Vick back? Let it all play out. Is there a game this Sunday? Next Sunday? Next month. Who cares it's May 5th.

Because you can't go to TC with 1 QB. Jesus. You want Vick back? Let it all play out. Is there a game this Sunday? Next Sunday? Next month. Who cares it's May 5th.

I don't care about camp.  I'm saying when Week 1 rolls around, barring injury we'll have 3 QB's on the 53-man roster.  Fitz, Geno, Petty, and no room for Simms.  Pretty simple, logical prediction yet people still find a reason to fight about it.  Whatevs. 

As for Vick, he's the reason I didn't care about the 2014 Jets before the season began.  Worst free agent signing ever.

I don't care about camp. I'm saying when Week 1 rolls around, we'll have 3 QB's. Fitz, Geno, Petty. On no planet will Simms end up making this team. As for Vick, he's the reason I didn't care about the 2014 Jets before the season began. Worst free agent signing ever.

You asked why the Jets went out and signed 3 QBs.

Who knows. A lot can happen between now and week 1. My god. People seem to find pleasure in wishing a guy be gone.

You asked why the Jets went out and signed 3 QBs.

Who knows. A lot can happen between now and week 1. My god. People seem to find pleasure in wishing a guy be gone.

I didn't need an answer to that question, it's pretty self-evident.  New regimes come in and tend to sweep out the ineffective QB's, bringing in hand-picked ones in their place.  Thus the newcomers have the edge over the ones who are still here.  Geno and Simms aren't going to be winners in this change in management.  Don't shoot the messenger on this one.

I didn't need an answer to that question, it's pretty self-evident. New regimes come in and tend to sweep out the ineffective QB's, bringing in hand-picked ones in their place. Thus the newcomers have the edge over the ones who are still here. Geno and Simms aren't going to be winners in the change in management. Don't shoot the messenger on this one.

Why would I want to waste a bullet.

This thread is full of dumb sh*t that's for sure. Amazing. Jet fans wishing for Geno & Simms to suck so they can say, "see, I told you I was right".

Enjoy the 2015 season.

I'm sorry stats don't tell the whole story. First off he had arguably the best RB in the league in Foster. Second take away two "anamoly" games against Tenn where he had 6 Td's  and against Oak two woeful defensive teams  and his stats become downright pedestrian. 

There's a reason he was replaced late in the season by Ryan Mallet - he flat out stunk. 

If he plays we're in trouble as it means Geno hasn't taken a step forward under new offensive leadership and with much improved weapons. For those wanting Fitz to be the starting QB , you better hope Petty develops quickly or the Jets will be drafting yet another QB next year. I watched parts of his games against the Giants, Colts, Eagles , Cowboys last year and  I came away less than impressed - but hey I guess he's smart he must be good right ???

You can go on and on about stats blah, blah, blah. Point is he wasn't as bad as you said he was. Stop spinning and telling me that those numbers are an "anamoly" .

Why would I want to waste a bullet.

This thread is full of dumb sh*t that's for sure. Amazing. Jet fans wishing for Geno & Simms to suck so they can say, "see, I told you I was right".

Enjoy the 2015 season.

For the record in my post at 8:07pm I wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------

Of course I'll be thrilled if any of them (Geno included) play well

--------------------------------------------------------

There are between 64-96 of these jobs. We have Archie, Peyton and Eli Manning as well as Luck. Compare that to the percentage of "non-NFL-bloodline" QBs. It's probably a pretty high percentage when you do the math.

10s of thousands of ex football players and after you name 2 Mannings and Luck and think it's a high percentage? They don't have to play QB like their father. His theory should given an advantage at any position. Most ex NFL players have kids who play ball, very few make it to the NFL. That huge advantage he brought up hasn't been proven out.

I don't care about camp. I'm saying when Week 1 rolls around, barring injury we'll have 3 QB's on the 53-man roster. Fitz, Geno, Petty, and no room for Simms. Pretty simple, logical prediction yet people still find a reason to fight about it. Whatevs.

As for Vick, he's the reason I didn't care about the 2014 Jets before the season began. Worst free agent signing ever.

Agree 1000% about Vick

To me it was just as repugnant as the Tebow trade maybe worse. Surprised so many jets fans liked the move I expected better from the fanbase.

You base that belief on......what, exactly?

Fitz has a better career-to-date, knows the O-Co, knows the system, and is better at protecting the ball.

What does Geno have going for him....mobility, ok.  Beyond that, he's the last GM's guy, not Macs, not Bowles.  

What advantages are you seeing that I'm not?

He's a career backup that is really not that much better at protecting the ball. Let's not act like he is anything good. He is very mediocre and prone to mistakes. There is a reason he has been on so many teams and that is because he has proven he is not a starting QB,

The system will be designed around all players so while he knows components of it, he won't know all of it and part of his job is to make sure there is no gap in system knowledge whether he starts are not.

Geno is more mobile. Has a better arm. Is younger. Throws a better ball. Trapped in a terrible offense with no offense, horrible coaching and Is potentially the QB of the future.He has dramatically more upside. Bowles and Mac are not here to win next year they are here to build consistent success, And starting Fitz does not necessarily do either.

Geno has been bad at times, but has really flashed at times as well. Bowles has stated that he will be #1 in TC, he said it again a few days ago. That is not by accident. It is important to see what Geno can do. Does he automatically get the year? No. But unless he is horrific you owe the team to see what he can do in a more suited system with some actual weapons.

Seeing what you have in Geno is important. Rex was fired for a reason, actually many, but part of that was his complete inability and actual defiance in developing a competent offense. So you cannot just dismiss Geno out of hand.

Starting Fitz is an incredibly bad band aid. Essentially you are saying the next couple of years are lost causes, and the development of Petty as starter begins now.

It would be shocking to see Geno not start. It's just a bad move for the franchise. Too much talent to bail now. But you can believe what you want, people said all the exact same things last year when we got Vick.

Geno has been bad at times, but has really flashed at times as well.

The first part is an understatement and the 2nd part is an overstatement.  He's been horrifically bad pretty much all the time, with a couple decent games against teams with really bad defenses (such as the 2013 Atlanta Falcons and Buffalo Bills.  Check out their numbers that season and come back to me).  He was the 40th-ranked QB by DVOA in 2013 and 31st in 2014.  Fitz was the 19th and 13th-ranked QB in those 2 seasons, respectively.  It's not even close. 

Jets fans still overhyping the QB thats never won more that 6 games in a season as starter in his career..

He's never played on a roster nearly as good as this one is going to be next season.  No one is saying he's the 2nd coming of Montana.  Most reasonable people are accurately stating he's the best option we have. 

Geno will be off roster by opening day if Fitz leg in good shape.

Mac wants zero part of him. I dont think Mac/Todd see Geno as a Brainiac :(

1brainiac1-thumb-210x315-9456.jpg

Your clearly a casual fan .. If you think Geno will not be on the roster this season .

He's never played on a roster nearly as good as this one is going to be next season. No one is saying he's the 2nd coming of Montana. Most reasonable people are accurately stating he's the best option we have.

10+ years in the league . A stint where buffalo built the team around him . And he has never won. Hell I use to love playing buffalo when they had Fitz he was good for a couples mistakes a game .

Dude got the best years out of Fred Jackson, CJ spiller and Stevie Johnson and a pretty good Buffalo D and still couldnt win 10 games .

The fact that Yall try to sell us on a guy that entire league knows what he is about is rediculous . He is Career backup QB in this league nothing more , nothing less .

10+ years in the league . A stint where buffalo built the team around him . And he has never won. Hell I use to love playing buffalo when they had Fitz he was good for a couples mistakes a game .

Dude got the best years out of Fred Jackson, CJ spiller and Stevie Johnson and a pretty good Buffalo D and still couldnt win 10 games .

The fact that Yall try to sell us on a guy that entire league knows what he is about is rediculous . He is Career backup QB in this league nothing more , nothing less .

I'm not trying to sell you on anything.  It just is.  Geno Smith is f*cking terrible and Fitzpatrick is the best we have.  Pretty simple. 

The Buffalo offense in 2012 under him and Gailey was pretty decent (they averaged 21.5 points per game).  Sucks that they were stuck in Siberia and the Bills' defense was awful then.  Remember when the Sanchez-led Jet offense put up a 48-28 win?  They also gave up 52 to New Engand, 35 to Tennessee, 37 to New England in the 2nd matchup, and 50 to Seattle that year.  That won't be the case here.  So the "he never wins!" stuff you keep throwing out there is meaningless to me.

In no way, shape or form do I expect Fitzpatrick to be our starter beyond 2015.  But again, right now, he's the best option we have.  Deal with it.

I'm not trying to sell you on anything. It just is. Geno Smith is f*cking terrible and Fitzpatrick is the best we have. Pretty simple.

The Buffalo offense in 2012 under him and Gailey was pretty decent. Sucks that they were stuck in Siberia and the Buffalo defense was awful then. That won't be the case here. So the "he never wins!" stuff you keep throwing out there is meaningless to me.

In no way, shape or form do I expect Fitzpatrick to be our starter beyond 2015.

Yes Geno smith is so terrible and yet he has been able to surpass Fitz best season win total in a year he shouldnt of never seen the field . With a god awful team and rotating WR.

Here's your logic the team is finally built up so let's start the career loser with no upside . Instead of the kid we have been developing for 2 years with terrible playmakers around him . Why not just give him and shot with legit NFL skill players and see what he can do ? We all know what Fitz can do his play leads to more Losses than wins. No matter how much box score scouting you do it doesn't change who he is ..

Yes Geno smith is so terrible and yet he has been able to surpass Fitz best season win total in a year he shouldnt of never seen the field . With a god awful team and rotating WR.

Here's your logic the team is finally built up so let's start the career loser with no upside . Instead of the kid we have been developing for 2 years with terrible playmakers around him . Why not just give him and shot with legit NFL skill players and see what he can do ? We all know what Fitz can do his play leads to more Losses than wins. No matter how much box score scouting you do it doesn't change who he is ..

Wins alone don't sway me on anything.  Geno just came off a season where he won 4 games, and looked god awful doing so.  His playmakers last year were fine and he still looked god awful.  You have no case.

Wins alone don't sway me on anything. Geno just came off a season where he won 4 games, and looked god awful doing so. His playmakers last year were fine and he still looked god awful. You have no case.

fine? Decker hurt most the season , Harvin comes mid season far from a being a WR, David Nelson cut mid season , TJ graham out the league again I believe , kerely his normal disappearing act .

Fast forward today kerely is the 4th WR and decker is #2. With one of most QB friend WR to ever play in Marshall at #1. And a real deep threat in Devin smith .

You think it's coincidence his best games came when a healthy Decker is on the field ?

Are we really on page 8 of a Matt Simms thread?

:face:

If there is anything the new Leadership has said/shown, it's that there will be competition at every position.  For once, that's believable.

Since Fitz is coming off injury, none of the QB's on the roster are likely to be cut till mid-training camp.  

So, with A. Competition and B. No Cuts Till Camp, Simms, Geno and everyone else will get their chance to prove they deserve a roster spot, and which roster spot.

Simms almost assuredly will be cut, make no mistake, the moves to-date are quite clear on that.  If Simms was viewed as a starter/#2, the team does not sign Fitz or draft Petty.

With that said, Simms future will be in Simms hands, and if he is cut, it'll be because he did not show the Leadership he deserved to be retained.

Isn't this what we always wanted?  Competition, best guys stay, best guy starts?

Are we really on page 8 of a Matt Simms thread?

:face:

If there is anything the new Leadership has said/shown, it's that there will be competition at every position. For once, that's believable.

Since Fitz is coming off injury, none of the QB's on the roster are likely to be cut till mid-training camp.

So, with A. Competition and B. No Cuts Till Camp, Simms, Geno and everyone else will get their chance to prove they deserve a roster spot, and which roster spot.

Simms almost assuredly will be cut, make no mistake, the moves to-date are quite clear on that. If Simms was viewed as a starter/#2, the team does not sign Fitz or draft Petty.

With that said, Simms future will be in Simms hands, and if he is cut, it'll be because he did not show the Leadership he deserved to be retained.

Isn't this what we always wanted? Competition, best guys stay, best guy starts?

Unless the jets carry 4 QBs . Simms is gone . Your not Risking Petty to PS, Smith and Fitz while both are shifty are light years better than him.

I really don't see him part of this competition at all tbh think he is cut once Fitz is healthy .

You think it's coincidence his best games came when a healthy Decker is on the field ?

We've had this debate about Sanchez too.  Always with the excuses.  Fitz has put up at least average numbers every year he's been in the league, no matter who was healthy or what weapons he was throwing to.  And again, this will be the best crop of receivers he's ever had in his 10-year career.

As for Geno's "Best games".....His best games came against terrible (Atlanta/Buffalo 2013) or indifferent (Dolphins 2014) teams.  And at his worst he costs teams wins.  Fitzpatrick has a much higher floor, which will benefit our roster.  You can't spend all the money we did then throw Geno out there.  We're in win-now mode, not "let's see if Geno figures it out" mode.  Our GM didn't draft him, and our OC didn't work with him prior to this year.

We've had this debate about Sanchez too. Always with the excuses. Fitz has put up at least average numbers every year he's been in the league, no matter who was healthy or what weapons he was throwing to. And again, this will be the best crop of receivers he's ever had in his 10-year career.

As for Geno's "Best games".....His best games came against terrible (Atlanta/Buffalo 2013) or indifferent (Dolphins 2014) teams. And at his worst he costs teams wins. Fitzpatrick has a much higher floor, which will benefit our roster. You can't spend all the money we did then throw Geno out there. We're in win-now mode, not "let's see if Geno figures it out" mode. Our GM didn't draft him, and our OC didn't work with him prior to this year.

Your in a Win now mode but want to start a 10 year QB who has never won . Makes perfect sense .

Your in a Win now mode but want to start a 10 year QB who has never won . Makes perfect sense .

Yes, it does.  Because Geno hasn't won anything either AND is the worst starting QB in the NFL over the past 2 seasons.  I'm sorry we couldn't acquire Brees or Rivers either.  But unless by some miracle Bryce Petty defies all odds and becomes an amazing rookie QB overnight, Fitz will be the starter.  Find some way to reconcile that in your brain.

Yes, it does. Because Geno hasn't won anything either AND is the worst starting QB in the NFL over the past 2 seasons. I'm sorry we couldn't acquire Brees or Rivers either. But unless by some miracle Bryce Petty defies all odds and becomes an amazing rookie QB overnight, Fitz will be the starter. Find some way to reconcile that in your brain.

guess we will see week 1.

Archived