Dez Bryant gets his deal with cowboys

faba

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I knew what you were talking about, and your definition of security is different than his obivously. You should stop using the word moron because security to him isnt just what he can live on, its about security in relation to risk. 

Question, what happens if Bryant gets severely hurt the first play of preseason? When you understand the "risk" then you understand the reason why he mentioned security. These contracts are mutual, but not franchise tags, those are VERY one sided. 

13-14 mil is damn good money, but the security that Dez is talking about comes in a form of a long term contract than it does 1 "prove it again" deal where he can get hurt released, and not signed. So, outside of the money, the length of a deal via a contract (not a hostage franchise tag) is what he and all of these players expect. Most fans only see the $ signs and not the effort and sacrifice these guys put in to being what they are. I think its moronic to call someone a moron based on something that they dont understand themselves.

You're completely out of touch with the real world if 13-14 mil doesn't give you security. I get he could get hurt but as they were saying on NFLN, when was the last time a WR suffered a career ending injury? The risk is pretty low.

I completely understand all involved but no matter how you try to explain it away, 14 mil provides a hell of a lot of security.

1. Having an "agreement" that protects a player from injury is called an agreement, not being taken hostage. The Titans havent signed Mariota because Mariota is at odds with the "offsetting language", something that the Titans have stated that they do with everyone. Well guess what, Mariota isnt "everyone". The bottomline is if you agree to something then dont call it being held hostage. Being franchise tagged is of no choice to the player being tagged. That isnt an agreement, and when the tag is utilized to hold on to a players rights until after the market has dried up then that is a form of being held hostage because is keeps the player from hearing other offers outside of the team who tagged him. 

2. Taking Dez "current contract may not have been what his contract would have been back in March if multiple parties were bidding. You know this is a high probability, yet you act like you dont. 

3. Yes, Revis situation was leverage, but Dez wasnt in Revis situation because Dez wasnt under contract. Throwing Revis into this conversation doesnt change what Dez situation was and it doesnt change the fact that you "assumed" possible hostage mentality by Dez yet never even mentioned the actual hostage actions actually occurring, instead you decided to mention his mom as if you know him or that situation specifically with his mom. Getting 14 million when there was only 1 taker on the market by using the franchise tag to do so diminished "opportunity" from other takers. 

1. You're wrong. Player can still seek a contract from another team albeit the draft picks involved.

2. There are million ways to have a cap charge of $5mil in the first year in a 5 year $100 mil deal. Dez never hit the free agency due to the tag. Like it or not, it is something the players union agreed upon just a few years ago....again. Trade off? The outrageous salaries these athletes are getting.

3. Wrong again. Dez publicly stated he's going to miss football games, exactly what Revis did. Not sure how thats any different. Cowboys are well within their rights to tag Dez. If a player agreeing to a monstrous long term contract with no protection for the franchise not called "taking hostage", then how is tagging a player for a year called "taking hostage".

Calvin Johnson got $16mil per and that was an outrageous contract. Even then, wake me up when Dez starts commanding triple coverage and still puts up 2k yards receiving to beat Megatrons 1964. Difference between 1382 and 1964 is almost 600 yards. Not even in the same ball park, kid.

1. You're wrong. Player can still seek a contract from another team albeit the draft picks involved.

2. There are million ways to have a cap charge of $5mil in the first year in a 5 year $100 mil deal. Dez never hit the free agency due to the tag. Like it or not, it is something the players union agreed upon just a few years ago....again. Trade off? The outrageous salaries these athletes are getting.

3. Wrong again. Dez publicly stated he's going to miss football games, exactly what Revis did. Not sure how thats any different. Cowboys are well within their rights to tag Dez. If a player agreeing to a monstrous long term contract with no protection for the franchise not called "taking hostage", then how is tagging a player for a year called "taking hostage".

Calvin Johnson got $16mil per and that was an outrageous contract. Even then, wake me up when Dez starts commanding triple coverage and still puts up 2k yards receiving to beat Megatrons 1964. Difference between 1382 and 1964 is almost 600 yards. Not even in the same ball park, kid.

lol. Now you're just acting special. 

I'd be wasting my time at this point. 

You're completely out of touch with the real world if 13-14 mil doesn't give you security. I get he could get hurt but as they were saying on NFLN, when was the last time a WR suffered a career ending injury? The risk is pretty low.

I completely understand all involved but no matter how you try to explain it away, 14 mil provides a hell of a lot of security.

Im not out of touch of what you consider real world security. You're out of touch with the fact that what you consider real world security isnt the same world these individuals live in. 

When you realize that then you'll see the difference. 

Im not out of touch of what you consider real world security. You're out of touch with the fact that what you consider real world security isnt the same world these individuals live in. 

When you realize that then you'll see the difference.

Yeah one day I'll wake up and join you in realizing 14 mil provides zero security.

If I also wake up and start believing that pissing your money on Escalades is a good investment strategy.

If you had 14 mil and the brain of a gnat you should be able to live large. And your children too. Only a fool couldn't. No matter which world you live in.

Yeah one day I'll wake up and join you in realizing 14 mil provides zero security.

If I also wake up and start believing that pissing your money on Escalades is a good investment strategy.

If you had 14 mil and the brain of a gnat you should be able to live large. And your children too. Only a fool couldn't. No matter which world you live in.

You didnt prove a single point comparing your life to his. Its a stupid argument you're presenting, and I'll find my way out of the convo. 

You didnt prove a single point comparing your life to his. Its a stupid argument you're presenting, and I'll find my way out of the convo.

Stop already, if you think there's no security in 14ml good for you.

He surely outperformed his rookie contract but when did he ever hold out? Not sure what you're saying here. Are you talking about the same Dez Bryant who in 2010 was the first rookie to take a reduced rookie contract and was used as the "poster child" back when the league was trying to stop the 60-76 million dollar rookie contracts given to guys like Sam Bradford, Jason Smith, Reggie Bush, Aaron Curry and Jamarcus Russell? 

He played out his rookie deal didnt he? Better yet, lets talk about outgrowing a contract. Dez Bryant has averaged over 1,200 yards his last 3 seasons, over 1,300 in 2 of those 3 seasons and in that same time span has caught a ridiculous 41 TD's. You know what his yearly salary was on average? 2 million dollars. And he played in all 16 games those last 3 years which completed the entirety of his rookie contract. And even as a rookie receiving a wildly reduced contract when compared to other 1st rounders, he was the first of the 1st round picks to agree to his contract (5 years 12 Million). Sam Bradford, the first pick during the same draft, wasnt even the first to sign his contract and his contract was for 76 million dollars

You dont have to throw shade on Dez like that. The dude took a MASSIVE discount back when rookies were getting the biggest contracts in franchise history before ever even taking a snap professionally. Dez stats far outpaced that contract 4 of the 5 years he played under it, and yet he never missed a game his last 3 seasons of the agreement and never held out, though he very well could have. The current deal of 14 million per in some ways can even be considered a discount just based on his 41 TD's the last  3 seasons along with the initial discount that he gave them as a rookie.  It's a business, and if he decides to hold out later on because he's outperforming his contract then so be it. This is a guy who has now given the Cowboys 2 very favorable contracts for such a talent.

Why did he sign such a friendly deal his rookie year? I didn't realize this. I assumed he came out the year after the big contracts.

14mm is like 6mm after tax and agent fees. That's not going to last you a lifetime. It could but not if your in the top of your field.

Living large is out of the question.

14mm is like 6mm after tax and agent fees. That's not going to last you a lifetime. It could but not if your in the top of your field.

Start off with 14 mil is not 6.

What Jet Nut did was alter the subject, though probably not purposefully. No one argued that 14 million per year with guaranteed money wasnt a level of security. What was being argued was the security of having a long term contract in relation to the risk that players take playing in this league on franchise tags as well as owners using Tags as a tool to keep players from seeking deals elsewhere after they completed their current deal though assuming that Dez could hold a team hostage by a "mutual" contractual agreement. I've never known tags to be executed through mutual agreement, and thats why Dez mentioned the possible holdout. When a player agrees to a contract (14 million per + security) thats not something to argue because its a contract thats agreed upon between both parties and generally should be respected (Something that Revis decided to hold out from...not Dez, so the comparison of the two made no sense). Players dont like the tag because the lack of  long-term security in that tag isnt enough for a player because players know what injuries or just wear and tear in this business can do FAR AFTER you left the game. Players dont want to run the risk of putting their well being on the line for a one year rental, get hurt and end up spending the majority of that one year deal on medical bills. This is what he didnt understand regarding the difference of opinion. 

On one hand the nfl is considered the "Not For Long" league but that's never the case for the head of the franchise, only the employees. So those individuals seek as much security based on what their performance can bring. What Jet Nut did was flip his point about security by concentrating on the monetary aspect of a franchise tag while having us look at the amount through the eyes of us "non millionaires" who arent out there taking the risk, instead of the reality of what the tag could mean to a player long term if things go wrong. Players want to be invested in, not rented. And based on how the NFL can infiltrate ones entire life for the sake of making sure that the image of the Shield is upheld, then I find it ridiculous that someone would try to make it seem like being rented for a year against your agreement to be rented is some sort of security when comparing that to the risk the player is taking career/health wise in order to do so. 

Why did he sign such a friendly deal his rookie year? I didn't realize this. I assumed he came out the year after the big contracts.

His deal was somewhat similar to the guys who were drafted in similar spots before him, minus around 500 thousand to 1 million. What made it a friendly deal was the fact that the NFL used him as the poster child to say "look at this top 5 talent" and the deal he signed and compared it to top 10 busts of previous years who made enormous amounts of money (Jamarcus Russell for example). The problem isnt the deal in relation to where he was drafted, but using his contract in comparison other talent that was taken much higher than he was though he wasnt a top 10 drafted player to a top 5 talent. And though I agree that it was the right move to pass on him coming into the league, it was wrong to use his contract as a way to influence future deals to guys actually taken in the top 10, especially when in hindsight the 4 of the 5 years he was under that contract he outperformed it. I remember NFL Analysts that year pushing that rhetoric. 

In that regard it was a very friendly deal. Also the year that Dez came out was the last year of those mega contracts. 

What Jet Nut did was alter the subject, though probably not purposefully. No one argued that 14 million per year with guaranteed money wasnt a level of security. What was being argued was the security of having a long term contract in relation to the risk that players take playing in this league on franchise tags as well as owners using Tags as a tool to keep players from seeking deals elsewhere after they completed their current deal though assuming that Dez could hold a team hostage by a "mutual" contractual agreement. I've never known tags to be executed through mutual agreement, and thats why Dez mentioned the possible holdout. When a player agrees to a contract (14 million per + security) thats not something to argue because its a contract thats agreed upon between both parties and generally should be respected (Something that Revis decided to hold out from...not Dez, so the comparison of the two made no sense). Players dont like the tag because the lack of long-term security in that tag isnt enough for a player because players know what injuries or just wear and tear in this business can do FAR AFTER you left the game. Players dont want to run the risk of putting their well being on the line for a one year rental, get hurt and end up spending the majority of that one year deal on medical bills. This is what he didnt understand regarding the difference of opinion.

On one hand the nfl is considered the "Not For Long" league but that's never the case for the head of the franchise, only the employees. So those individuals seek as much security based on what their performance can bring. What Jet Nut did was flip his point about security by concentrating on the monetary aspect of a franchise tag while having us look at the amount through the eyes of us "non millionaires" who arent out there taking the risk, instead of the reality of what the tag could mean to a player long term if things go wrong. Players want to be invested in, not rented. And based on how the NFL can infiltrate ones entire life for the sake of making sure that the image of the Shield is upheld, then I find it ridiculous that someone would try to make it seem like being rented for a year against your agreement to be rented is some sort of security when comparing that to the risk the player is taking career/health wise in order to do so.

this part of the argument is silly. Wasn't the original point. No kidding, 70 provides a lot more security than 14. Not hard to understand. But 14 per, a few of those isn't the worst deal. Few if any WRs turn career ending injuries or injuries in their primes that prevent them from playing and earning. But yes it is a risk. The tangent was the silly idea that 14 mil doesn't go far. That's rediculous.

You've taken us a long way from my original comment, Dez will want more money, will complain about money before the end of this deal. Time will tell.

this part of the argument is silly. Wasn't the original point. No kidding, 70 provides a lot more security than 14. Not hard to understand. But 14 per, a few of those isn't the worst deal. Few if any WRs turn career ending injuries or injuries in their primes that prevent them from playing and earning. But yes it is a risk. The tangent was the silly idea that 14 mil doesn't go far. That's rediculous.

You've taken us a long way from my original comment, Dez will want more money, will complain about money before the end of this deal. Time will tell.

If the argument was silly then 99% of the players wouldnt dislike the tag brother. There's a reason for that which I just explained. Not my job to make you agree with it. 

If the argument was silly then 99% of the players wouldnt dislike the tag brother. There's a reason for that which I just explained. Not my job to make you agree with it.

You just like to hear yourself talk or can't you read? Only an idiot wouldn't rather have 70 mil over 14 mil, that's not the point. You're not doing a public service announcement by listing every reason why. The point was that 14 mil per isn't so tough an option to deal with. Living with a one year deal more than your new deal averages per year. A point that went over your head while you were trying to explain how 14 mil isn't that much money and doesn't provide security.

You just like to hear yourself talk or can't you read? Only an idiot wouldn't rather have 70 mil over 14 mil, that's not the point. You're not doing a public service announcement by listing every reason why. The point was that 14 mil per isn't so tough an option to deal with. Living with a one year deal more than your new deal averages per year. A point that went over your head while you were trying to explain how 14 mil isn't that much money and doesn't provide security.

Nothing you said above was the point because you're dodging the difference between the security of a tag and the security of a contract. You go in circles around the point like the way I like to hear myself talk. Only one of those makes sense however. 

And I thought you said that we should stop. I responded to someone else regarding what I wrote. Why you still discussing this if I frustrate you so much? You got it brother. 

Nothing you said above was the point because you're dodging the difference between the security of a tag and the security of a contract. You go in circles around the point like the way I like to hear myself talk. Only one of those makes sense however. 

And I thought you said that we should stop. I responded to someone else regarding what I wrote. Why you still discussing this if I frustrate you so much? You got it brother. 

What is the matter with you?  Seriously, you're just beating a dead horse with someone who has said the same.  Then say that Im going around in circles?  I'm dodging what?  You dont even know what the points were.  

And next time you respond to someone else dont put my name in it and tell them what you think I meant.  

What is the matter with you?  Seriously, you're just beating a dead horse with someone who has said the same.  Then say that Im going around in circles?  I'm dodging what?  You dont even know what the points were.  

And next time you respond to someone else dont put my name in it and tell them what you think I meant.  

The next time I'll know that when you dismiss yourself from a convo and I continue on with someone else and  you're referenced on what you wrote you'll re-enter the convo that you just decided to leave from in order to tell someone how they're beating the same horse that you decided to once again beat with them. lol. That is called beating a dead horse 2 fold.

If something is wrong with me, then what is wrong with you continuously writing me? You asked me to stop it and you dismissed yourself. I didnt write you back. I understood that you were good. Doesnt mean that I wasnt going to continue myself. Whats the matter with you following up on what I write other people? Thats some ex-girlfriend old school myspace sh*t man lol. 

Okay, what were the points? You tell me then I'll go back to your own statements and show you the points that I responded to. Maybe that will help you not go into circles around the point that I made. 

Oh, and I'll do what I want for as long as Im not being disrespectful. And if you dont like it, dismiss yourself from the ass whipping Im giving this horse.....again. 

The next time I'll know that when you dismiss yourself from a convo and I continue on with someone else and  you're referenced on what you wrote you'll re-enter the convo that you just decided to leave from in order to tell someone how they're beating the same horse that you decided to once again beat with them. lol. That is called beating a dead horse 2 fold.

If something is wrong with me, then what is wrong with you continuously writing me? You asked me to stop it and you dismissed yourself. I didnt write you back. I understood that you were good. Doesnt mean that I wasnt going to continue myself. Whats the matter with you following up on what I write other people? Thats some ex-girlfriend old school myspace sh*t man lol. 

Okay, what were the points? You tell me then I'll go back to your own statements and show you the points that I responded to. Maybe that will help you not go into circles around the point that I made. 

Oh, and I'll do what I want for as long as Im not being disrespectful. And if you dont like it, dismiss yourself from the ass whipping Im giving this horse.....again. 

Come back when you move on from this fantasy.

You dont know what the hell youre talking about, no one else can either.  Villain the Foe, double tough guy.  ROFLOL

Come back when you move on from this fantasy.

You dont know what the hell youre talking about, no one else can either.  Villain the Foe, double tough guy.  ROFLOL

I fantasize too much to do that. The people who thumbed up my initial quotes understood perfectly. The rest could kick rocks for all I care. 

And your tough guy quote is your own insecurity. I stopped being an internet tough guy atleast a week ago. And stop rolling on the floor, its childish. 

Dezzy Dez: 70 mil over 5 years.

Jordy Nelson + Randall Cobb: 79 mil over 5 years.

This is why good teams stay good, and why average teams are always average.

Dez is on another level than either of those players. rodgers doesn't need a top 5 WR in order to make it work, that's why he gets the big bucks

Dez is on another level than either of those players. rodgers doesn't need a top 5 WR in order to make it work, that's why he gets the big bucks

Neither does Romo, he's always around 4K mark every year with or without Dez. Dez is better than each but better or more valuable than both?

So if you're running a franchise, would you rather pay $70 mil for one elite receiver or would you pay the same amount for two elite receivers?

Dez in 2014: 88/1320/16

Jordy: 98/1519/13

Cobb: 91/1287/12

He doesn't pay taxes or his agent?

I don't see how it sets you and your kids up for life. Especially if your income potential is zero if you get hurt and you are 26 years old.

His agent gets maybe 10%. No one pays over 50% taxes.

So if you're running a franchise, would you rather pay $70 mil for one elite receiver or would you pay the same amount for two elite receivers?

Dez in 2014: 88/1320/16

Jordy: 98/1519/13

Cobb: 91/1287/12

They perceive something far different than the production and value they give their teams. They'd rather have the big name talent than the more productive player(s)

Problem with Jordy is he isn't in your face enough and plays in GB

They perceive something far different than the production and value they give their teams. They'd rather have the big name talent than the more productive player(s)

Problem with Jordy is he isn't in your face enough and plays in GB

I just think that giving a non-QB that kind of contract is a colossal waste of money. You can't build an offense around a wide receiver or a running back.

Dezzy Dez: 70 mil over 5 years.

Jordy Nelson + Randall Cobb: 79 mil over 5 years.

This is why good teams stay good, and why average teams are always average.

Bryant is a significantly better player than Nelson and Cobb. He'd lead the league in just about every receiving stat if he played with Rodgers.

Bryant's contract is quite reasonable especially considering most jet fans want to give Wilk an even bigger deal yet Bryant is the much more valuable player.

Archived