Compensatory Picks

The idea of comp. picks in any professional sport with collective F/A bargaining is patently absurd. You sign a player to a contract and he fulfills his contract and decides to go work for somebody else, you should get squat. Simple as that.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

20 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I know this is a bit late to discuss since the draft is now over but does anyone else dislike the idea of compensatory picks?  Why should the rest of the league be penalized (by getting a lower pick) because a team lost a player to free agency?  It's up to each team to manage their salary cap and make long-range planning.  Other teams shouldn't have to pay a penalty if you lose players.

That said, I wish there was a way where somehow the salary cap allowed you more flexibility to "resign" a player that you drafted. 

Similar to the Bird Rule in the NBA? Unfortunately, then all of the teams that Draft well will be given the benefit of keeping all great talent

I think this is, in total, a way to try and lessen the disparity for "small market" and long-term-rebuild teams. Similar to one of the main functions of the Franchise Tag.

It's a bit of a different ball game in the NFL with the revenue sharing. Pretty much every team spends to or near the salary cap annually, unlike the NBA and MLB where this is a bigger problem. I think historically this might have been nice to help expansion teams and smaller market teams get a foot hold, as those bad teams will have an extremely hard time growing and competing with the Cowboys type teams historically (that could easily sign just about anyone they wanted in their heyday). 

The concept does feel a bit antiquated now in a league where the newest "expansion team" is like 30 years old, and team building cycles move faster than in other sports. Also, as I said, the NFL doesn't really have any true poverty teams in the styling of the modern Oakland As or Charlotte Hornets. I wouldn't be upset if they did away with comp picks - the only real grounds for keeping them are if the NFL wants to expand again someday. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Don’t like it.

No other league has this.

I didn’t like getting jobbed by the refs in the KC game either.

The thing is Goodell doesn’t care what you or I think.

Doesn't baseball have comp picks?  Pretty sure the Mets drafted David Wright because Mike Hampton decided to leave.

But yeah it's whatever to me.  I think part of it is to give teams incentive to not completely sell off their roster if they're right on the edge of being competitive.  I mean how many people here were in favor of not trading Huff, strictly because we would get a comp pick for him regardless?  I remember reading that a decent amount early last year.

• Upvote 1

I made a huge thread about this very  thing last year.

Comp picks are geared towards already successful teams and keep them good and the poor teams poor.

If you are a good successful team you can let guys walk each  year that price themselves out and since you are already good you do not need to sign many  guys thus you get comp picks.

With all of your extra comp picks you develop more players and then easily let go existing players, it is perpetual.

On top of that there are now the minority hiring comp picks which kick it up another notch.  Good teams lose these coaches and gms and get picks, bad teams do not.

The teams that always seem to have a lot of comp picks are long time successful teams such as the steeler, niners, ravens and the pats for sure in their glory years.

Teams like the jets?  Very rarely  do we have any large number of comp picks, we had three this year i think and then of course the idzik 12 year,

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I know this is a bit late to discuss since the draft is now over but does anyone else dislike the idea of compensatory picks?  Why should the rest of the league be penalized (by getting a lower pick) because a team lost a player to free agency?  It's up to each team to manage their salary cap and do their long-range planning.  Other teams shouldn't have to pay a penalty if you lose players.

That said, I wish there was a way where somehow the salary cap allowed you more flexibility to "resign" a player that you drafted. 

Only teams that are 1-0 in 2024 should have received compensatory picks.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

Doesn't baseball have comp picks?  Pretty sure the Mets drafted David Wright because Mike Hampton decided to leave.

But yeah it's whatever to me.  I think part of it is to give teams incentive to not completely sell off their roster if they're right on the edge of being competitive.  I mean how many people here were in favor of not trading Huff, strictly because we would get a comp pick for him regardless?  I remember reading that a decent amount early last year.

Not sure.  Never heard of that.

I don’t follow the MLB draft.

23 minutes ago, Claymation said:

MLB does it.

Oh ok, my bad.

Goodell isn’t going to get rid of it, so you either adapt or suffer.

If the Jets are going to go through the machinations to acquire these comp picks they also need to actually pick the right players.

For example, IMO multiple plodding RBs isn’t the best use of 4th rd draft capital.

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I know this is a bit late to discuss since the draft is now over but does anyone else dislike the idea of compensatory picks?  Why should the rest of the league be penalized (by getting a lower pick) because a team lost a player to free agency?  It's up to each team to manage their salary cap and do their long-range planning.  Other teams shouldn't have to pay a penalty if you lose players.

Had the same thought several years ago.

Of course I love it when the Jets get comp picks, but they really aren't necessary.

I've thought in the past that maybe teams should get a break on cap hits if they're retaining a player they drafted?  Maybe only 80% of contact value counts against the cap or something like that.

• Upvote 1

I think that it's silly and distorted to be honest. It may work in baseball where there are big markets that just outbid and destroy small markets for free agents but it has no place in the NFL.

In fact, by its very design it helps the better teams more than the bad teams. Teams with more and high-priced free agents that can't afford to keep them all ever year get rewarded with extra draft picks for not signing them. So now you're adding young and cheap talent to already talented teams.

3 hours ago, Dcat said:

comp picks benefit the better teams not the weaker ones.  The entire concept has been faulty from the very beginning. In no way do comp picks restore any kind of "fairness" to the teams whose former picks become free agents.  

I vote to remove comp picks from the process.  Just make it an 8-round draft.  8 x 32 = 256  Same number of picks as nowadays with the stoooopid comp picks.

Exactly.  Comp pick always benefit the good teams.  Teams like Baltimore and San Francisco has made a tradition out of getting a lot of comp picks and it helps.  Obviously if you draft well you don’t have to spend a ton of FA all the time and will get more comp picks.  The Jets finally got some picks after really hitting a homerun in the 2022 draft 

5 hours ago, RJIII said:

They give comp pics for hiring minority coaches/front office as well.... That's some dumb shít too!

the pick does not go to the team that makes the hire. The pick goes to the team that loses him. I'm not quite sure how that makes any sense, but this is the NFL we are talking about.

14 hours ago, Dcat said:

comp picks benefit the better teams not the weaker ones.  The entire concept has been faulty from the very beginning. In no way do comp picks restore any kind of "fairness" to the teams whose former picks become free agents.  

I vote to remove comp picks from the process.  Just make it an 8-round draft.  8 x 32 = 256  Same number of picks as nowadays with the stoooopid comp picks.

Your math is wrong. It’s 255. The annual Pats pick forfeiture needs to be considered. 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Dcat said:

the pick does not go to the team that makes the hire. The pick goes to the team that loses him. I'm not quite sure how that makes any sense, but this is the NFL we are talking about.

It's to promote the hiring and development of minority coaches across the NFL. 

• Developing minority coaches as a "feeder" to the rest of the league = comp picks
  • Developing players as a "feeder" to the rest of the league = comp picks

Essentially these two are the same thing. Get rewarded for being good at development, even if you do not reap the reward yourself.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jamesr said:

It's to promote the hiring and development of minority coaches across the NFL. 

• Developing minority coaches as a "feeder" to the rest of the league = comp picks
  • Developing players as a "feeder" to the rest of the league = comp picks

Essentially these two are the same thing. Get rewarded for being good at development, even if you do not reap the reward yourself.

Other teams get penalized for this though.

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Other teams get penalized for this though.

Are you referring to the lowering of picks beyond the 3rd round? Or something else?

I can see your perspective - SF developed a guy that we hired, and got a high comp pick for it, while our picks (and everyone else's) moved down a bit as a result. But it's the "have nots" who IN THEORY should benefit from the supply of talent (player and coach) by the "haves". In theory. :-)

I'm not going to argue it's a perfect system - I get the intent, but I also get the perception of it being a reward for not sucking. Which is tough when our organisation has sucked for so long. :bag:

5 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Are you referring to the lowering of picks beyond the 3rd round? Or something else?

I can see your perspective - SF developed a guy that we hired, and got a high comp pick for it, while our picks (and everyone else's) moved down a bit as a result. But it's the "have nots" who IN THEORY should benefit from the supply of talent (player and coach) by the "haves". In theory. :-)

I'm not going to argue it's a perfect system - I get the intent, but I also get the perception of it being a reward for not sucking. Which is tough when our organisation has sucked for so long. :bag:

Yes, I'm referring to that.  

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Yes, I'm referring to that.  

Here's a question then - when this changed, yes you could argue that the draft pick values were lower than they were in previous years. But if the comp picks structure stays consistent, is it still an issue ongoing? Pick 1 in Round 4 next year will be the exact same spot overall as it was this year, and likely the year after, as the number of comp picks per round is fixed (as far as I can tell - though I may be wrong). So everyone knows what to expect. Plus, the team that gets the extra pick in Round 3 also gets a lower pick in Round 4 too, technically. 

20 hours ago, Dcat said:

There’s no doubt that they’re a vessel for the rich to get richer, but they’re not going anywhere so we might as well embrace them. The mystical comp pick formula adds a level of intrigue, and the diversity comp picks are a high profile way for the league to show its commitment to promoting minority coaches and executives. It also adds another full round worth of picks for their Spring Extravaganza, sprinkles a number of picks for a lot of teams who also now get to trade them during the draft, making them even more fun! 

On 4/29/2024 at 12:39 PM, RJIII said:

They give comp pics for hiring minority coaches/front office as well.... That's some dumb shít too!

Yeah SF got a 3rd round comp IIRC for Saleh.

If Ulbrich eventually gets hired and Woody can prove he's 1% hispanic, can the Jets get a 7th rounder?

3 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Yeah SF got a 3rd round comp IIRC for Saleh.

If Ulbrich eventually gets hired and Woody can prove he's 1% hispanic, can the Jets get a 7th rounder?

2 3rd rounders for Salah.  Then 2 more 3rd rounders for Houston's HC.

I love comp picks...when WE get them. 

I actually think they should expand comp picks. Each game should be reviewed for egregious errors made by the refs. Errors that changed the outcome or were just horrible calls, should result in 'points' awarded to the team that got screwed. The more 'points' a team is awarded during the season, the better the comp pick they get in the upcoming draft. Kinda eases the pain of losing games due to horrible calls.