QB Crisis Article

KRL

Very long, but excellent article on the crisis in finding QB's.  To me coaching staffs are going to have to get

creative and hire a "QB development coach" in addition to an OC and a QB coach.  With the lack of time

they get with players I would hire a specialized coach to teach the fundamentals while the OC and QB coach

do their normal duties:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/why-the-nfl-has-a-quarterback-crisis-1441819454

Very long, but excellent article on the crisis in finding QB's.  To me coaching staffs are going to have to get

creative and hire a "QB development coach" in addition to an OC and a QB coach.  With the lack of time

they get with players I would hire a specialized coach to teach the fundamentals while the OC and QB coach

do their normal duties:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/why-the-nfl-has-a-quarterback-crisis-1441819454

One wonders what could have happened with Sanchex and Geno if there had been a proper system in place from the get go....

I've been saying it forever: the NFL needs a minor league. A farm system, similar to what baseball has. 

In a league where avg NFL careers are 4 years, and 28 years olds are considered reaching their twilight years for most positions, how in the world can they have a minor league? Nobody will watch it, so funding will be non existent. And the best coaches for developing players work in the NFL and college. A minor league system will never be able to entice them.

The bottom line is there never has been nor will be 32 men on this earth that can play the QB position at a top level. This fact coupled with expansion has assured that at least 15 teams a year will have to figure out a way to win without one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To find "QB development coaches" I would look to retired HC's, OC's and QB's.  I'm sure there

are enough people still with the "itch" to keep their hands in the game where they would be excited

to develop a QB

In a league where avg NFL careers are 4 years, and 28 years olds are considered reaching their twilight years for most positions, how in the world can they have a minor league? Nobody will watch it, so funding will be non existent. And the best coaches for developing players work in the NFL and college. A minor league system will never be able to entice them.

I disagree with this. Put teams in smaller markets. Don't put them in Europe. Nobody cares about American football over there.  And consider playing games in the Spring. You won't get NFL-type crowds, but you'll definitely be able to garner a solid following. Arena football does it. Hell, the UFL even did it to a degree, despite their eventual demise. 

With the finances at their disposal, the NFL can do it, and their overall product would improve greatly because of it. 

I've been saying it forever: the NFL needs a minor league. A farm system, similar to what baseball has. 

They tried that with NFL Europe. Didn't go too well. College coaches are paid to win games NOT develop QB's for the NFL. hence the read option, no huddle fast paced offenses. It is up to NFL teams to find the guys with the arm talent first of all and secondly that he has enough intelligence to understand the differences in the game at each level. Geno Smith has a ton of arm talent but little between the ears, which is why Bryce Petty will be the Jets QB as soon as next year.

They tried that with NFL Europe. Didn't go too well. College coaches are paid to win games NOT develop QB's for the NFL. hence the read option, no huddle fast paced offenses. It is up to NFL teams to find the guys with the arm talent first of all and secondly that he has enough intelligence to understand the differences in the game at each level. Geno Smith has a ton of arm talent but little between the ears, which is why Bryce Petty will be the Jets QB as soon as next year.

As far as developing players was concerned, NFL Europe was successful.  A lot of good players came out of it.

It failed financially. You're not going to get any support for minor league football in another country. Put the teams in smaller, pro football-starved markets in the U.S., and it will do fine.

For example a guy like Chad Pennington would be excellent as a QB developer

Any drive that ends in a kick is a good one. 3rd and 10 = check down and punt, pad your completion % and don't risk the INT hurting your QB rating

no thanks

Any drives that ends in a kick is a good one. 3rd and 10 = check down and punt, pad your completion % and don't risk the INT hurting your QB rating

no thanks

"Learn your kicker's name well. This way you'll know who to blame when you fail to orchestrate a single scoring drive."

Taking the OP's article into account, how is that no-cost minor league working out for them?

Works great.  Need to coach up QBs that don't play in a pro style offense, but an entire farm system between college and the pros for the entire team will not work.  

In baseball, they take kids out of high school and put them in the minors so they are ready when the are 21 or 22.  Then they can play for 15 - 20 years. 

In football, they take college Juniors and Seniors, some of which have red-shirted one year.   So they are already 21 or 22, and their career longevity in the NFL is about 4 years.

Not practical.

^^^^  This guy gets it.

^^^^  This guy gets it.

Funny, the highlighted part of his post is precisely why college football fails to be a good minor league for the NFL. The NCAA's interests are not the same as the NFL's.

The transition for a QB to the NFL is extremely difficult, even if a player comes from a pro style offense. When players come from a read option, or something along similar lines, the learning curve is much, much greater.  And with the short lifespans of coaching and front office regimes, along with the pressure to play these guys before they are ready, it becomes near impossible.

Without a developmental league someone either has to come up with a system that is less reliant on the QB, or the league will die at some point.  The article is spot on.

Works great.  Need to coach up QBs that don't play in a pro style offense, but an entire farm system between college and the pros for the entire team will not work.  

In baseball, they take kids out of high school and put them in the minors so they are ready when the are 21 or 22.  Then they can play for 15 - 20 years. 

In football, they take college Juniors and Seniors, some of which have red-shirted one year.   So they are already 21 or 22, and their career longevity in the NFL is about 4 years.

Not practical.

The NFL relies more on the QB than college does. So in that regard, the NCAA as a minor league does not work great. In fact, it's terrible.

As far as developing players was concerned, NFL Europe was successful.  A lot of good players came out of it.

It failed financially. You're not going to get any support for minor league football in another country. Put the teams in smaller, pro football-starved markets in the U.S., and it will do fine.

Pretty much every football league in America outside of the NFL has failed. If there was money to be made and a benefit of having one, there'd be a league. The NFL bleeds every money making stone dry. If they saw an opportunity in a spring/summer minor league, there would be one.

The other major difference is how much football positional development relies on the strategy of the coach. So if the Jets have a philosophy of a 3-4 D and a mobile QB on offense for example, their minor league crew has to develop their players as such. If the main coaching staff gets fired, you have to assume the minor coaching staff would be replaced to some degree. It's not like baseball, where hitters hit, fielders field, and pitchers pitch. Quite a bit of NFL player development revolves around the coaching strategy.

Pretty much every football league in America outside of the NFL has failed. If there was money to be made and a benefit of having one, there'd be a league. The NFL bleeds every money making stone dry. If they saw an opportunity in a spring/summer minor league, there would be one.

They've failed for a number of reasons:

• The USFL was successful until it let a certain leading Republican presidential candidate force it to try and compete directly with the NFL.
  • The UFL ran out of money (their Omaha and Las Vegas teams were very successful, however).
  • NFL Europe played its games in places where nobody cared about the sport. Germans and Brits aren't interested in American football.  They're even less interested in minor league football.
  • The XFL was run by a clown-shoes organization.

Despite this, all provided innovations to the game that the NFL would later employ, and produced players who later went on to be successful in the NFL, including several current and soon-to-be Hall of Famers.

I'm not saying it would be easy to do. It won't. But with the NFL's financial backing, and the right strategy, it can work and benefit the NFL greatly.

The other major difference is how much football positional development relies on the strategy of the coach. So if the Jets have a philosophy of a 3-4 D and a mobile QB on offense for example, their minor league crew has to develop their players as such. If the main coaching staff gets fired, you have to assume the minor coaching staff would be replaced to some degree. It's not like baseball, where hitters hit, fielders field, and pitchers pitch. Quite a bit of NFL player development revolves around the coaching strategy.

There are a large number of QBs coming into the league who don't know the fundamentals because they were never taught them. Taking a snap from under center, dropping back to pass, throwing mechanics, reading a defense. All systems in the NFL require these skills from a QB.  

And you aren't going to master this stuff in one or two NFL preseasons.

They've failed for a number of reasons:

• The USFL was successful until it let a certain leading Republican presidential candidate force it to try and compete directly with the NFL.
  • The UFL ran out of money (their Omaha and Las Vegas teams were very successful, however).
  • NFL Europe played its games in places where nobody cared about the sport. Germans and Brits aren't interested in American football.  They're even less interested in minor league football.
  • The XFL was run by a clown-shoes organization.
Despite this, all provided innovations to the game that the NFL would later employ, and produced players who later went on to be successful in the NFL, including several current and soon-to-be Hall of Famers.

I'm not saying it would be easy to do. It won't. But with the NFL's financial backing, and the right strategy, it can work and benefit the NFL greatly.

There are a large number of QBs coming into the league who don't know the fundamentals because they were never taught them. Taking a snap from under center, dropping back to pass, throwing mechanics, reading a defense. All systems in the NFL require these skills from a QB.  

And you aren't going to master this stuff in one or two NFL preseasons.

Again, the NFL continuously looks to make money at every turn. The one thing ahead of the good of the game is making money. So if a minor league system was deemed worthwhile AND makes money for them you bet your ass they'd do it. Yet they don't. Why? Because they don't think it will make money.

I disagree with this. Put teams in smaller markets. Don't put them in Europe. Nobody cares about American football over there.  And consider playing games in the Spring. You won't get NFL-type crowds, but you'll definitely be able to garner a solid following. Arena football does it. Hell, the UFL even did it to a degree, despite their eventual demise. 

With the finances at their disposal, the NFL can do it, and their overall product would improve greatly because of it. 

Don't you get it?? If they put a team in London, Paris, Barcelona and Rome, all the owners can write off their vacations as a business expense.

It's always about money and perks!!

You watch.... Bob Kraft wants to go to New Zealand for vacation and the next thing you know there will be a "Exploratory Committee" headed up by Kraft to explore the benefits of having a team in Auckland!!

At Baylor, quarterback Bryce Petty was one of the most prolific passers in the country. He led the Bears to two conference championships in his last two seasons on campus and holds 31 Baylor passing records and has the lowest percentage of interceptions per pass in NCAA history. 

But NFL teams were wary of Petty. Because Baylor played a “spread” offense that forced defenses to fan out across the field, making them unable to disguise anything, many scouts worried he would struggle to master the NFL game. He had to wait until the 103rd pick before the New York Jets scooped him up. Petty said he was “upset and frustrated that I was thrown away like I couldn’t learn it,” he said. “I’m like ‘you’ve got to give me a chance a little bit.’”

Petty admits to grappling with tasks such as hearing and calling the play, identifying defensive backs in coverage and identifying which player in the defensive backfield was the “mike” linebacker, the central part of the defense whose location teams base their offensive line protections on. “As crazy as it sounds, at Baylor, we did not point out the ‘mike’ linebacker,” Petty said.

Petty was unfamiliar with making adjustments to the play or the formation before the snap. 

“Honestly, I wish I’d done a little bit more as far as being proactive to get into a pro style [offense],” he said, singling out the need to decipher fronts or coverages. “It was things I have never seen before.”

that was the point of the article.  College isn't developing QBs. 

Sure they are, there's thousands of colleges. Again, you guys are looking for a solution that has been a problem since the 60s. There are not enough human beings on earth capable of playing QB at a top tier NFL level to field one on every team. Period.

Archived