Film Breakdown: Week 1 Passing Game

JetNation

I have just a little different take...

O the 1st bad magic ex., Decker originally appears to be running a fly pattern (as he is running outside of the #'s) and then cuts it into a semi post by drifting towards the middle of the field (running on the inside of the #'s).  When Fitzpatrick released the ball Decker was still running the fly (outside #'s), if decker continued on the fly pattern it would have hit him right in the hands, Decker sees the trajectory of the ball and attempts to get back into position but was too late. 

On the 2nd bad magic ex., the Browns were playing a zone with a CB 1 on 1 with Marshall.  The safety Gipson was up near the line playing the inside WR with inside help.  As the WR passed him on the slant he released him and ran back about 10-12yrds into underneath coverage on the outside part of the field.  Fitzpatrick had already released a perfectly thrown ball to a wide open Marshall but never saw Gipson running back into position where he ultimately intercepted the ball.

Overall those 2 plays were not totally Fitzpatrick's fault, the 1st Decker cut the route & the 2nd was a good defensive play by Gipson.

I like these posts that you do, very informative and well displayed... Good Job  :)

Edited by jetsons

Good job here by @win4ever!

Thanks.

Yes, yes it was!

Thanks.

I have just a little different take...

O the 1st bad magic ex., Decker originally appears to be running a fly pattern (as he is running outside of the #'s) and then cuts it into a semi post by drifting towards the middle of the field (running on the inside of the #'s).  When Fitzpatrick released the ball Decker was still running the fly (outside #'s), if decker continued on the fly pattern it would have hit him right in the hands, Decker sees the trajectory of the ball and attempts to get back into position but was too late. 

On the 2nd bad magic ex., the Browns were playing a zone with a CB 1 on 1 with Marshall.  The safety Gipson was up near the line playing the inside WR with inside help.  As the WR passed him on the slant he released him and ran back about 10-12yrds into underneath coverage on the outside part of the field.  Fitzpatrick had already released a perfectly thrown ball to a wide open Marshall but never saw Gipson running back into position where he ultimately intercepted the ball.

Overall those 2 plays were not totally Fitzpatrick's fault, the 1st Decker cut the route & the 2nd was a good defensive play by Gipson.

I like these posts that you do, very informative and well displayed... Good Job  :)

Thanks.  

On the first one, I think the pass over the head is on purpose by Fitzpatrick though.  You see the same thing on the pass to Owusu deep, he places the ball over the head to avoid the safety and prevent the cornerback from jumping the inside position.  On this play, the CB has inside position, so he placed the ball over Decker's head, essentially using Decker as a barrier to the ball.  If it's a straight deep pass, then there is less margin for error.  However, in this case, he overthrew the pass.  I think I saw Devin Smith make a catch like that against MSU like that as well, where the QB places the ball over the head and to the outside, on a CB with inside position, and unless it's severely under thrown, the CB can't do much with it.  Ofcourse, it also relies on the WR having the ability to adjust on the route.  

The second one, there is no one else on that side of the field, so Gibson was bound to go back.  I think both the OC and Fitz assumed that the WR crossing route was going to take everyone away from the left side, but Gibson released and went back.  The ball is still underthrown, he had another 3-4 yards to work with, although Gibson makes a great play on it (and he's one of those safeties that is great at picking the ball), but I think he should've realized that Gibson was lurking in the area.  In this instance, it looks like he just under-estimated Gibson, because if that's Pryor out there, that's an easy catch.  It is a great play by Gibson, but Fitz shares the blame for under throwing that pass, although part of the problem there is his arm strength.  He's can't zip it like a strong armed QB across the hash, so there is an extra lag for the ball to reach downfield.  It's a great read though.  

Great breakdown.

Thanks.  

• Upvote 2

These are perfect examples of a QB who has to make up for arm strength by throwing a pass with less air under it. You can see how Fitz has to torque himself to get that speed on the ball which unfortunately gets thrown a little flat to get some zip.

What will be interesting to see because I just haven't seen enough games with Fitz at QB is can he apply touch to the ball? When you need to wind up as much as he does, I'm sure it's harder to throw with touch or loft. 

I'm curious, is this the most offensive talent that Fitz has played with? Marshall & Decker is a pretty damn good combination at one & two. Owusu looks to be gaining a lot of confidence, now we have Smith coming back who clearly moved right into the 3rd WR in camp. Ivory is running like his hairs on fire (Monday night football could be his reemergence), fans know of Ivory but most haven't seen how violent he runs. Ivory is OLD SCHOOL NFL, I don't care what team your a fan of when you see a RB that puts his pads down & secondary players don't like to take them on it's just special. My buddies a Pats fan & he says he loves to watch Ivory run. Bilals a very steady all around back (had some beautiful blitz pick ups on Sunday. Just imagine that Kerley is crying for snaps & he was once our best WR. I think Enunwa has a chance to make plays too. No chance in hell that any other team are as good at blocking as those 3 WRs (Marshall, Decker, Enunwa). It's gonna be a fun interesting year.

If that ball to Powell was thrown over any other LB it's a TD. Mingo has like an 8 foot reach, and needed every inch of it.

Yeah.  In hindsight it is pretty easy to see it should have been arced over, but what can you do?  At the time it happened I was surprised he threw it so hard.  It seemed like he ran up and ripped it.  Seemed odd for such a short pass at the time.  I don't have a problem with the overthrow to Decker.  Seemed like a timing/communication thing.  They really haven't played together that much.  You are going to have some misses when you are throwing before breaks and relying on your WRs to be on the same page about option routes.  The offense looked pretty good, but I'm not sure how much of that was Cleveland.  Brandon Marshall is a horse.  He is open even when he isn't.

Yeah, there is another angle on the Decker missed pass, and he comes out of his delivery like a pitcher trying to overthrow the ball.  From the times I remember watching him in years past, he's fine with short and intermediate passes, and he has good placement on balls thrown down the field as well (albeit tends to loft it a bit), but his issues are the outs to the other hash mark, like most QBs that don't have a strong arm.  This allows the CBs to sometimes undercut the ball, and leads to interceptions.  

The talent around him last year were pretty similar actually to what we have.  Andre Johnson was still a very good WR (I'll say equivalent of Decker, maybe a bit better) and Hopkins has turned into a good No. 1 as well.  They also had Arian Foster at RB and he's also a good pass catcher out of the backfield.   However, they didn't has as much depth as you would like, so if Smith turns out to be good, then this might be the most talent he's worked with.  Otherwise, talent seems pretty similar between the offenses last year for the Texans and us this year.  

True, but that could've been a huge disaster.  I think I was more miffed that he didn't run there, easy first down, only one DT in the area and 4 OL just standing there to block him out.  

Yeah, hopefully the timing gets better, especially on the deep routes.  Otherwise, he looked pretty good for a new team and first game.  

Besides divisional games, I don't think we play a good defense all year. We're forcing mismatches. Forcing teams to make a choice on whether to cover Marshall/Decker with a slot corner, or to cover Owusu, or soon Smith with a slot corner on the outside, or to drop safeties deep, in witch case we run them over. Then we're getting the ball out extremely quickly. I'm loving this offense already.

As long as the defense does it's job. I don't want to see Fitz having to come from behind.

Edited by NYs Stepchild

Marshall, and Decker are much more versatile than AJ, and Hopkins, and Gailey is a chess master. He's tailored this offense to the talent. O'Brien is an idiot. 

Also playing with the lead makes all the difference to a QB like Fitz. Stay patient. Force them to make a choice, and make the proper read.  

This defense is like another weapon for the offense as long as you see the big picture. I think these coaches see that big picture. We'll find out.

Marshall, and Decker are much more versatile than AJ, and Hopkins, and Gailey is a chess master. He's tailored this offense to the talent. O'Brien is an idiot. 

Also playing with the lead makes all the difference to a QB like Fitz. Stay patient. Force them to make a choice, and make the proper read.  

This defense is like another weapon for the offense as long as you see the big picture. I think these coaches see that big picture. We'll find out.

I completely agree with you, Decker is much better than the older Andre at THIS POINT of their careers. Many people said Johnson looked old & slow vs the Bills.

while I think Hopkins is a very good receiver & getting better, Brandon Marshall is a BEAST & is in the top 5 over the last 3 years in red zone TDs, one of the most important stats in football. You score TDs in the redzone your chances of winning sky rocket.

i also think Owusu & Smith playing with Decker & Marshall could be special! Your forcing teams to play their 3rd & 4th CBs, not many teams have that quality depth to cover 2 of the FASTEST GUYS on our team! You look at other teams with speedy WRs, they are usually a 1 or a 2. We could see some long TDs this year from those guys with the attention that needs to be paid to Decker, Marshall, and don't forget having to play up to contain Ivory.

I think deep down Bowles & Gailey are giddy over the possibilities including using Enunwa in the H back role. The field that last year was shrunk down is now a field that's WIDE OPEN comparatively. And against a top 5 secondary like the Browns it showed. The Brownies defense is no walkover. I saw them play teams tough last year.

This is a great thread. Thank you for doing this.

I hope you keep this up all season

Thanks, yeah I plan on doing this for most of the weeks.

I agree on AJ being a step slower, but of the 4, I take Hopkins first even for just this season.  He's not as a physical freak as Marshall, but I love his game, and I think at this point in their careers, Hopkins is a better player.  On a ranking basis, I would say Hopkins, Marshall, Decker, Johnson.  I also think Foster last year was better than any RB we have on our roster right now, because he is a great pass catcher along with runner.  It's the third option for us that could really make a difference, because if Smith or Owusu can step up, then our weapons are definitely better.  

I hope he does as well.  :)

Lol me too.  

• Upvote 1