Fans who switch teams for the worse

AFJF

So someone is set in their ways if they don't agree with you?? LOL  I guess you never could have been a Red Sox fan..OK name all the NFL fan boycotts that have been successful and I'll listen.. :)

Youre just confirming my thought that you're not grasping what im saying.

Did they Sawx try to win all those years? Most signs point to yes.

Did the Pirates try to win all those years I referenced? The answer is no.

NOW are you getting it? Probably not since you think July 4th is a celebration of Tom Brady.

Boycotts that have worked? Have a look at attendance figures and recent records of all the teams wanting to move to LA. Oakland and JVille fans have every right to bail, they've been sh*t on for years. 

And I'll preempt your nonsensical response: All a move to LA is going to do is have a new base of very disappointed people. The problem is ownership. Are you understanding this or are we still stuck on the loyalties of the color wheel? 

Youre just confirming my thought that you're not grasping what im saying.

Did they Sawx try to win all those years? Most signs point to yes.

Did the Pirates try to win all those years I referenced? The answer is no.

NOW are you getting it? Probably not since you think July 4th is a celebration of Tom Brady.

Boycotts that have worked? Have a look at attendance figures and recent records of all the teams wanting to move to LA. Oakland and JVille fans have every right to bail, they've been sh*t on for years. 

And I'll preempt your nonsensical response: All a move to LA is going to do is have a new base of very disappointed people. The problem is ownership. Are you understanding this or are we still stuck on the loyalties of the color wheel? 

Your biggest problem is trying to make a point in a discussion without being a wise ass.. Quite a few people have that problem so your not alone..:)

My not alone what?

That many on the board are wise asses in trying to make their point..(Me included at times) Lets go on this premise.. I don't find your position idiotic at all, I just don't think it works in reality especially with die hard fans which the majority of most fan bases are..Should every sports team in every sport always try their best to field the best team they can every year?? Of course everyone would sure as hell hope so.. But even if they don't to me it doesn't make fans that stay and support their team a idiot, it makes them a die hard fan which if you look up the defination is a person who vigorously maintains or defends a seemingly hopeless position, outdated attitude, lost cause, or the like.. resisting vigorously and stubbornly to the last..  Now you don't feel that way that's your right to not be satisfied but it may not be right for everyone and to me they are not idiots for feeling as they do.. And being a Jet fan since the beginning the 70's was especially brutal but it never changed me for supporting the team because it the way I am as a fan.. Which to you is being a idiot...:P

That many on the board are wise asses in trying to make their point..(Me included at times) Lets go on this premise.. I don't find your position idiotic at all, I just don't think it works in reality especially with die hard fans which the majority of most fan bases are..Should every sports team in every sport always try their best to field the best team they can every year?? Of course everyone would sure as hell hope so.. But even if they don't to me it doesn't make fans that stay and support their team a idiot, it makes them a die hard fan which if you look up the defination is a person who vigorously maintains or defends a seemingly hopeless position, outdated attitude, lost cause, or the like.. resisting vigorously and stubbornly to the last..  Now you don't feel that way that's your right to not be satisfied but it may not be right for everyone and to me they are not idiots for feeling as they do.. And being a Jet fan since the beginning the 70's was especially brutal but it never changed me for supporting the team because it the way I am as a fan.. Which to you is being a idiot...:P

In my lifetime as a Jets fan there have been good and bd times. But I always felt like ownership was trying. If the day ever comes where I feel like they are stealing from me, well that's another story.

So someone is set in their ways if they don't agree with you?? LOL  I guess you never could have been a Red Sox fan..OK name all the NFL fan boycotts that have been successful and I'll listen.. :)

I just meant you can personally stop buying tickets, or official gear. It is possible to stop watching a team, but it is impossible for a man to just start liking another team instead.

He's equating it to Bon Jovi. It's more like switching from rock to disco, from Dodge to Subaru, or switching religions.

If he thinks it's similar to switching from Bon Jovi to Journey then he couldn't possibly understand. It's kind of like understanding smoking by someone who's never smoked.

If he liked Bon Jovi then that's all we need to know.

I just meant you can personally stop buying tickets, or official gear. It is possible to stop watching a team, but it is impossible for a man to just start liking another team instead.

He's equating it to Bon Jovi. It's more like switching from rock to disco, from Dodge to Subaru, or switching religions.

If he thinks it's similar to switching from Bon Jovi to Journey then he couldn't possibly understand. It's kind of like understanding smoking by someone who's never smoked.

If he liked Bon Jovi then that's all we need to know.

I was 8.

Objectivity and arguing in good faith are at a premium around here. 

Once again...

Some franchises absolutely don't care about winning. Still rooting for the laundry and putting money into it makes you an idiot. A team tries to win but fails? That's a totally different story. 

you confuse making bad moves with not trying to win.  Why and how do NFL teams try not to win?  

I was 8.

Objectivity and arguing in good faith are at a premium around here. 

About the same age many here started rooting for the Jets.  And they did so because that was the hometown team and who their dads rooted for.  You're comparing an NFL team to a bad employee.  Well say that bad employee was a flawed family member that you love anyways because you grew up with him/her and can't change your roots?  Well that's the part of this you're ignoring.  The team you root for becomes part of your identity.

I'll admit that I wasn't always a Jets fan. I grew up in Dallas but my family is from the southwest. We didn't have a team (this was before the cardinals) so we adopted the cowboys when we got here. As a little kid I liked lots of teams. When the cowboys got hot in the early 90s it was easy to drop all the other teams and love them. In the late 90s Jerry had turned the team into a circus. His desire to have a head coach that kisses his ass had run off good coaches and the organization seemed to have constant legal problems. I felt the cowboys were no longer an organization I could support. So I looked around at the teams I used to root for as a kid and settled on the Jets. The Jets might be mismanaged and have a terrible history of long periods of sucking but I'd rather root for a perennial underdog with SOJFs than keep being a fan of an obnoxious organization whose fans have all the optimism of bills fans with all the unbridled arrogance of pats fans.

The thread with Jets fans saying they'll be Patriots fans this weekend got me thinking about how fans are riddiculed (and rightfully so) for leaving their "favorite team" to root for another team that's playing better.

However, what's everyone's take on fans who like a team that doesn't suck and then bails to root for a team that does?  It's rare, but I know one or two people who say "I used to be a ____ fan, but I started rooting for the "worse team that still sucks" a few years ago.

Thoughts?

They're human trash.

They're human trash.

I agree in a case where a fan goes from a terrible team to a good one just because they don't have the intestinal fortitude to stick it out, but to have a team that's wining SB's and then you bail to follow a team that's lucky to ever make the playoffs.  Strange.

I agree in a case where a fan goes from a terrible team to a good one just because they don't have the intestinal fortitude to stick it out, but to have a team that's wining SB's and then you bail to follow a team that's lucky to ever make the playoffs.  Strange.

That's different, must be one of those "I really didn't like the guys on the team/running it".  That goes back to an old Yankees Red Sox argument from back in the day:  If all of the players on those 2 teams switched teams...who would you root for?  I said still the Yankees. However...if Tom Brady and his cheating scum came here, I'd just give up on the NFL.

The thread with Jets fans saying they'll be Patriots fans this weekend got me thinking about how fans are riddiculed (and rightfully so) for leaving their "favorite team" to root for another team that's playing better.

However, what's everyone's take on fans who like a team that doesn't suck and then bails to root for a team that does?  It's rare, but I know one or two people who say "I used to be a ____ fan, but I started rooting for the "worse team that still sucks" a few years ago.

Thoughts?

you're talking about the entire New England patriot fan base they were Giants fans 

you're talking about the entire New England patriot fan base they were Giants fans 

No, I was asking about going from one team that's better than the team you're switching to.  Bandwagon fans are common, they're the lifeblood of teams like the Pats, Cowboys, Steelers...but people who choose to root for a worse team than the one they were rooting for previously.

you confuse making bad moves with not trying to win.  Why and how do NFL teams try not to win?  

Are you a citizen of this planet? Many sports teams use the team as a tax shelter. Or they simply impose thier own cap (NY Islanders), which is probably against some CBA rule somewhere. 

And look at Jacksonville for example. You're telling me that team has been trying to win?

I'm sorry, some of you guys are treating this like some lifelong gang thing. 

My point: I have yet to bail on any of my teams. But I don't blame some people who do. And bandwagon jumping is another thing unto itself. 

Are you a citizen of this planet? Many sports teams use the team as a tax shelter. Or they simply impose thier own cap (NY Islanders), which is probably against some CBA rule somewhere. 

And look at Jacksonville for example. You're telling me that team has been trying to win?

I'm sorry, some of you guys are treating this like some lifelong gang thing. 

My point: I have yet to bail on any of my teams. But I don't blame some people who do. And bandwagon jumping is another thing unto itself. 

we're talking football, not hockey.  

Yes, Jacksonvile is trying to win.  How can you even ask?  Changing coaches, QBs and personnel for the **** of it?  They've made bad moves, different than not wanting to win

Sorry, I think people who can switch teams for wins, who will dig deep to find excuses to switch have mental issues.  Normal everyday fans don't switch.  No matter how you try to make it that people don't agree with this are weird.  Or part of a life,one gang.  You just don't get it, that's ok but don't turn it on the dedicated lifelong fans.

Archived