Home From Houston with Thoughts

ZachEY

Geno Sh!t should be given a start or two for two reasons

one: Fitz only being able to line up in the shotgun takes away the play action pass and makes the running game a 2 yard a crack affair-maybe with #7 back there Ivory can get back on track and

two: At this point it really doesn't matter anymore because this team isn't going anywhere anyway even if it wins out-which it has a better chance to do the opposite 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No QB, No Pass Rush, and Slow.

There are some talented players, but really to me, that's what keeps us from being a top 3 pick.

Other than Mo, is there one other young Jets player that the other 31 teams would say, "Damn, I wish that guy was on our team"?

There is not one.

Again, Jets biggest problem is they lack talent on the roster.

No QB, No Pass Rush, and Slow.

There are some talented players, but really to me, that's what keeps us from being a top 3 pick.

Other than Mo, is there one other young Jets player that the other 31 teams would say, "Damn, I wish that guy was on our team"?

There is not one.

There is not one.

If Richardson wasn't a buffoon, there'd be two.  But I agree.

I think Calvin Pryor will be a nice player.  Leonard Williams will be a nice player too, and my disappointment in him is less about ability and more about him being another guy that won't get to the QB.  I'm still hopeful (without reason) that Devin Smith will become more Desean Jackson than Ted Ginn.  But there's not a lot to like... I assume you saw the draft list I posted above.

- Paying Cro was a mistake, but so was paying Revis.  I'm no Idzik supporter, and have said on numerous occasions that it was correct to fire him, but if you can't see the wisdom in some of his restraint, you're just being biased.  Revis is still a good CB, but he's not an elite anymore.  He never had the best physical tools, and as he gets older, we're seeing younger, more athletic guys, have their way with him.  If Cro wasn't so bad, Cooper would have destroyed him, and Hopkins made Revis look like a practice squad player.  He'll still make plays, but that's in large part due to him being challenged much more.  Interestingly, this is probably the first time we've been solid at safety in forever.

It's not a mistake until it prevents us from making a move down the road. Cro 100% will not. Nor I believe will Revis, most of the deals loaded money this seasons for the express purposes of not hurting future seasons.

The fact is this team is much more talented then last years version, I'm not even sure how that is debatable considering we are like +3-4 in the win column at this point last year

If Richardson wasn't a buffoon, there'd be two.  But I agree.

I think Calvin Pryor will be a nice player.  Leonard Williams will be a nice player too, and my disappointment in him is less about ability and more about him being another guy that won't get to the QB.  I'm still hopeful (without reason) that Devin Smith will become more Desean Jackson than Ted Ginn.  But there's not a lot to like... I assume you saw the draft list I posted above.

I agree with you about Richardson. What a complete dumbass.

I'm very impressed with Pryor this year. He went from being a really poor player to becoming very good in one year. I'd take that guy in a heartbeat.

I wouldn't hold your breath on Devin Smith. The guy plays scared. You can't correct that.

I did read your draft analysis, and it solidifies the point I am making: Talented rosters are built through the draft. The Jets have failed miserably in that department in recent years.

It's not a mistake until it prevents us from making a move down the road. Cro 100% will not. Nor I believe will Revis, most of the deals loaded money this seasons for the express purposes of not hurting future seasons.

The fact is this team is much more talented then last years version, I'm not even sure how that is debatable considering we are like +3-4 in the win column at this point last year

I suppose that's fair to say.  Though, I'm not sure the Revis contract won't hurt us.  I was just looking at Jason's site, and we're on the hook for 17 million with him next year.  That could be a problem, especially with his level of production.

This team is more talented than last years... But this team is far from where it needs to be to be able to compete for anything meaningful... The problem, as I see it and stated, is that the talent that we do have now, the Brandon Marshall's, the Eric Deckers, even the Revis's, won't be around by the time the rest of the team catches up.

I suppose that's fair to say.  Though, I'm not sure the Revis contract won't hurt us.  I was just looking at Jason's site, and we're on the hook for 17 million with him next year.  That could be a problem, especially with his level of production.

17 million is probably too much, but he's still a top 5 corner in the game. Just no longer a top 5 player. I think he's guaranteed a few more years and the return on investment should be solid. Until they get a QB, they have to keep investing in the defense and more importantly, the offensive line. 

I agree with you about Richardson. What a complete dumbass.

I'm very impressed with Pryor this year. He went from being a really poor player to becoming very good in one year. I'd take that guy in a heartbeat.

I wouldn't hold your breath on Devin Smith. The guy plays scared. You can't correct that.

I did read your draft analysis, and it solidifies the point I am making: Talented rosters are built through the draft. The Jets have failed miserably in that department in recent years.

Not holding my breath, but I would like to see Smith with a QB who can throw the ball accurately down the field with some regularity.

That said, he had two on his hands Sunday, at least one of which should have been an easy completion, so my expectations are zero, but I might as well hope.

17 million is probably too much, but he's still a top 5 corner in the game. Just no longer a top 5 player. I think he's guaranteed a few more years and the return on investment should be solid. Until they get a QB, they have to keep investing in the defense and more importantly, the offensive line. 

Is he still a top 5 corner?

This team is more talented than last years... But this team is far from where it needs to be to be able to compete for anything meaningful... The problem, as I see it and stated, is that the talent that we do have now, the Brandon Marshall's, the Eric Deckers, even the Revis's, won't be around by the time the rest of the team catches up.

That's why I said unsure of Revis, we can get out from under him cheaply after next season. :)

I wonder how other teams stack up regarding this.  For the sake of discussion, I'm defining a Quality Starter as someone who I think would start on most teams in the league:

2008: 0

2009: 0

2010: 0

2011: Jeremy Kerley (punt returner/unused WR), Bilal Powell (Backup RB), Muhammad Wilkerson (Quality Starter)

2012: Demario Davis (Starter)

2013: Tommy Bohannan (Fullback), Brian Winters (Backup Guard), Geno Smith (Back up QB), Sheldon Richardson (Quality Starter), Dee Milliner (IR Corner)

2014: Trevor Reilly (Backup LB/STs), Quincy Enunwa (Depth WR), Dakota Dozier (Backup Guard), Dexter McDougle (Backup CB), Jace Amaro (IR TE), Calvin Pryor (Starter)

What I see in this is that in the 7 years leading up to this one, we've drafted 2 guys I'd call quality starters with one of them possibly heading for additional suspensions.  We've got 4 actual starters in that mix, and none of whom are on offense.

Despite what they've done in free agency, it's hard for me to look at this team and think it's talented.

Almost none of the above spare the negligible offense  contributions of Geno Smith and Kerley are even offensive contributors.We have not had a tight end practially since Mickey Shuler retired, and the QB spot is a black hole.  We have been fed a lot of defensive help,like Revis ( a HoFer, though he is technically right now a free agent signing). So at a time when offense is exploding in the NFL the Jets have zero impact offensive players drafted.  And going back to Al Groh 5 consecutive HC who's forte was defense. Further other than Revis the Jets have drafted some nice players but no one on the scale of JJ Watt superstar, nobody OCs gets headaches about the week before the jets. In fact we've had a lot of games in which the opposing QB could've played in a tux. Also a lot of offenses now gear their passing to getting their pass out within less than 3 seconds so unless your pass rusher is all world, it's almost not worth it. We have ANOTHER HC that farms out the offense to some other guy who watches a lot of game tape but doesn't appear to understand how an NFL game happens in 2015 regarding the clock, play selection, matchups, mismatches, pacing.The Jets since the day Woody Johnson took over are bucking industry trends and not succeeding.  In short it is f___ing Groundhog Day. Again.

Probably is, but I fully expect that as long as Woody wants rookie HC's, that there'll need to be a curve that we, as fans, just accept. Look at the league, it is very VERY rare that an upstart team jumps in from out-of-nowhere to become relevant and win it all. Not in the same season that they hire their coach. Football programs take years just to solidify, let-alone refine to the level of being able to win it all... or at least contend regularly. 

Even when you have it all figured out, it can all burst suddenly and without warning. Like it did for San Fran last year, and Baltimore this year. 

I think Bowles is a good hire. I hate that he's exhibiting bad tendencies, but hope he continually improves. Reality for this team is that they have been a bottom 5 drafting team since Parcells, so for almost 20 years. More specifically, the Tannenbaum, Rex, Idzik impact on the roster was horrible. Like, put us on par with the Browns, Lions and Raiders for being a perennial joke. This is why I can never understand the whole "Rex 2 afcc games" bit. He was one of 3 major cogs in the biggest setback this team has maybe ever seen. The most talented players on this team are 2 years from being irrelevant. Otherwise, we're looking at about 80% of this team that is going to require eventual turnover, in that span. 

What does that mean? By the time we have a RG, we're going to need to replace our LT and C too. By the time we have a QB (I wish), we're going to have to replace our 2 starting WRs. 

It's a work in progress. We're trying to outrun time and the past all at once.

I think the Raiders have found their guy in McKenzie.  We've been milking the 2006/2007 drafts for awhile now supplementing them with overpaid vets.  Eventually you need to hit on the draft and continually build through that method of player procurement.

You can't seriously think the Jets talent level is on par with any team in the league.

The Jets biggest problem is they lack talent.

Their best players are old, slow and soft.

They have ZERO young playmakers on the roster.

The Jets are a mediocre .500 team for one reason, their 53-man roster lacks talent.

Best players old and slow?  I would say key players old and slow.  Our best player is Mo Wilk.  Calling anyone else a best player is asinine . Pryor is young and talented.  Other than that bunch of poop.

Best players old and slow?  I would say key players old and slow.  Our best player is Mo Wilk.  Calling anyone else a best player is asinine . Pryor is young and talented.  Other than that bunch of poop.

Put down the turkey leg.

I posted everything that you just said.

I think there's thread's like this on just about every team's message board that's starting an ok to bad QB.  A top QB hides a lot of these problems, I don't look at NE and see a supremely talented team, yeah Gronk is greaat, but outside of him I don't see where they are so much more talented then we are. Swap QB's and the Jets are at least 8-2 and the pats could very well be 5-5.

What we are experiencing is typical of the modern day NFL when you are starting a big pile of crusher dung at qb

I think there's thread's like this on just about every team's message board that's starting an ok to bad QB.  A top QB hides a lot of these problems, I don't look at NE and see a supremely talented team, yeah Gronk is greaat, but outside of him I don't see where they are so much more talented then we are. Swap QB's and the Jets are at least 8-2 and the pats could very well be 5-5.

What we are experiencing is typical of the modern day NFL when you are starting a big pile of crusher dung at qb

My poop would have us at 7-3.

Archived