Devin Funchess - Carolina Patheres

JetBlue

I loved Funchess coming out of college, but the guy I'm wishing we grabbed instead of Smith is Tyler Lockett. He's shredding the competition on kick/punt return plus he's having a nice season as a deep threat.

that's the guy Mike Westoff keeps saying he wished the Jets took 

Shredding the competition?  Lockett is averaging exactly the same yards per kick return as Cromartie.  He has a 57 yard TD returning punts, BUT he is still averaging more than two full yards less than Kerley and has more fair catches.  He is young, but I am much more impressed with his receiving than his returning so far. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/23/2015 at 9:35 PM, jgb said:

Patriots were evil/immoral/idiotic for ignoring red flags with Aaron Hernandez but Jets should've drafted DGB and Randy Gregory. #Jetsfanlogic

I don't think many people really know what DGB was accused of. It's pretty bad. And despicable.  That guy isn't just a character risk... he's an extremely high risk.  No one ever questioned his unGodly size and potential talent at WR.  The true definition of "high-reward/high-risk".

On 2/8/2016 at 6:11 PM, SenorGato said:

John Elway didn't win a Super Bowl until he was 37. Possibly, possibly going out on a limb, but I think Cam Newton's got some time.

On 2/8/2016 at 7:09 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

Marino thought that way once too.

It's official you can find one example in the history of the universe to support any crazy notion.

cam newton is a top 5 QB in the NFL period especially when one factors in youth. those who commented before the year they wouldn't want newton (on the frickin QB wasteland of the NEW YORK JETS HAHA) were wrong. own it.

Yeah but is he clutch? Does he have the guts and the will to lead his team to a SB victory? Clearly and without question, the answer is not yet and therefore probably never. Cam's a good athlete who can play QB well enough, but he doesn't have the brains and integrity of a Manning, Brady, Staubach, Bradshaw, Aikman, Starr, etc.

Yeah but is he clutch? Does he have the guts and the will to lead his team to a SB victory? Clearly and without question, the answer is not yet and therefore probably never. Cam's a good athlete who can play QB well enough, but he doesn't have the brains and integrity of a Manning, Brady, Staubach, Bradshaw, Aikman, Starr, etc.

Agree he is not one of the best all time but he is one of the best right now which is certainly good enough to win the big one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On December 20, 2015 at 1:45 PM, JetBlue said:

I remember having a debate about whether we should take him in the 2nd or 3rd rounds (he went 41st to Carolina).  I kept being told he was a TE and not a Receiver or a "Hybrid" as if that was bad thing or something (for the record he has played almost exclusively at WR).  When I look at how frail Smith has been, I kinda wish we picked him.  I know he is not tearing up the league but he is having a decent rookie season and I can only imagine having him at 6'5", 230llbs along with Marshall and Decker creating all kinds of match up problems for the defense.   I think when it is all said and done he will be one of the best receivers from this class. 

Oh well, so much water under the bridge now.  I can only hope Smith comes back fully healthy and steps up his game next year.  I still have high hopes for him. 

Boy Funchess tore it up!

21 hours ago, j4jets said:

Boy Funchess tore it up!

Whatever; I will take him and continue to develop him. The entire offense, line and receivers stunk and Newton spent most of the game on his back or running for his life but lets blame the rookie receiver.  Smdh. 

I still think that Funchess wasn't worth the value of where we would have had to draft him in round 2. I will give Devin Smith a year to see what he looks like before I start saying who I would have rather drafted. Honestly we have people acting like Funchess is setting himself up for the hall of fame when he really just had an average rookie season I said during the draft that Funchess had bust written all over him and he actually did play a bit better than I thought but we will see.

19 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

I still think that Funchess wasn't worth the value of where we would have had to draft him in round 2. I will give Devin Smith a year to see what he looks like before I start saying who I would have rather drafted. Honestly we have people acting like Funchess is setting himself up for the hall of fame when he really just had an average rookie season I said during the draft that Funchess had bust written all over him and he actually did play a bit better than I thought but we will see.

I'm optimistic about Smith as a long term NFL WR. 30 TDs in 121 receptions at the college level is understated dominance. The blown ACL sucks, as does not having Cam Newton to work with, but overall I think he will be a good player for the Jets. Pretty much feel the same way about Funchess, better than expected but still meh - especially for a 2nd.

1 minute ago, SenorGato said:

I'm optimistic about Smith as a long term NFL WR. 30 TDs in 121 receptions at the college level is understated dominance. The blown ACL sucks, as does not having Cam Newton to work with, but overall I think he will be a good player for the Jets. Pretty much feel the same way about Funchess, better than expected but still meh - especially for a 2nd.

It was what the 5th pick in the second round. If we took anyone over Devin Smith it should have been DGB but as of right now I am pretty happy with our draft last year.

15 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Whatever; I will take him and continue to develop him. The entire offense, line and receivers stunk and Newton spent most of the game on his back or running for his life but lets blame the rookie receiver.  Smdh. 

Either that, or lets compare who was throwing him the ball as opposed to Devin Smith. One of those passers happens to be the season MVP by a landslide. But lets blame the OL and Cam running for a million yards and 10 TDs.

On 2/11/2016 at 2:47 PM, j4jets said:

Either that, or lets compare who was throwing him the ball as opposed to Devin Smith. One of those passers happens to be the season MVP by a landslide. But lets blame the OL and Cam running for a million yards and 10 TDs.

Why do you assume I am downing Smith????  Does it occur to you that I can like Smith AND STILL LIKE FUNCHESS??????????????

One has NOTHING to do with the other.  

On 2/11/2016 at 7:37 AM, SenorGato said:

I am too Senor, and I know we both had differing opinions on Funchess.  Both still need a lot of work but not every receiver is NFL ready their first year and injuries definitely derailed Smiths' year.  You are right on both accounts but also remember that once Benjamin went down, Funchess moved up the depth chart.  I wonder how Smith's season would have gone if he hadn't gotten hurt in training camp and if Marshall or Decker had missed any significant amount of time... 

On 2/11/2016 at 7:10 AM, bealeb319 said:

And you were wrong.  Just like how about anyone stating Funchess setting himself up for the Hall of Fame.   Exaggerate much?

Archived