Jets in Win and In games

nyjunc

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember when everyone was saying how great lamont would be if he was a #1, we saw how that ended.  nice backup though.

I never was for a 1 back system our most productive years have been with 2 back teams.. What OC in their right mind gives a 31 year old back 371 carries?? Unless he's trying to help him compile with a smile..LOL

I never was for a 1 back system our most productive years have been with 2 back teams.. What OC in their right mind gives a 31 year old back 371 carries?? Unless he's trying to help him compile with a smile..LOL

that RB led the NFL in rushing though.

1991 week 17 at Miami: Jets win 23-20(ot), make playoffs.  this was like a playoff to get to playoffs as winner made it and loser was out

I still recall that game well ... Raul Allegre was our kicker that day, made the OT kick to win it. :)

Then we lost in the Wild Card round the following week, in Houston I think. :angry:

I still recall that game well ... Raul Allegre was our kicker that day, made the OT kick to win it. :)

Then we lost in the Wild Card round the following week, in Houston I think. :angry:

yep.  we turned it over multiple times deep in Houston territory and lost 17-10.

2002 week 17 vs. Green Bay: Jets win 42-17, win division(I included this b/c by the 2nd qtr we knew Miami lost and it was win and in though we needed help going into the day)

2009 week 17 vs. Cincinnati: Jets win 37-0, make playoffs

2002 week 17 green bay game was the first game i ever attended.  

I was also at the 2009 week 17 Cincy game.  that day was so cold.  tailgating was brutal.

2002 week 17 green bay game was the first game i ever attended.  

I was also at the 2009 week 17 Cincy game.  that day was so cold.  tailgating was brutal.

2 of the greatest days in Jets history, 2 of the best games to ever be at.  I have been going to every home game since 1990 and the 2002 Gb game is my favorite, the '09 Cincy isn't too far down the list.

the Cincy game was brutally cold, I wound up getting mezz seats that night so it was a lot more comfortable than my old UD seats but when you win the cold isn't as bad:D

Its the same. If the steelers would have lost to the Browns the Jets would be IN the playoffs. Its the exact same scenario like in 2004. The Jets lost but this time the team that we needed help from lost their game and we backed in because of it. If the Steelers would have lost against the Browns on Sunday the Jets would have STILL lost a week 17 "Win and you're in" game when they controlled their own destiny. 

Its the same thing. 

how is this even an argument lol

how is this even an argument lol

it's not b/c the situations were not alike.  AGAIN, going into the game they were alike(though we played a dead team sunday and Pitt was playing an awful team while in '04 we faced a team playing for playoffs and Buf faced 15-1 team) but circumstances dictated what we did in OT.  the game would have played out differently had we not found out Buffalo lost.  why is this so difficult to comprehend?  if Pitty lost on Sunday and we were tied late or in OT then you'd have an apples to apples comparison.

Won by 1 yd with more carries due to 2 overtime games in 2004.. Hell Tiki had over 1600 yds on 44 less carries and 1860 on 14 less carries..

he won though, right? he averaged 4.6 YPC on the season w/ almost 1700 yds but to Jet fans he sucked.  I don't get it.

It is NOT the same.  it would have been the same if we were tied late in the game or in OT w/ Buffalo and we found out Pitt had lost.  then it would have been the same.

hahahaha! WTF are you even talking about lmao!!!!! 

The "Title" of the thread says "Win and in games". The Jets lost the game, period. THEY LOST THE GAME. What you're talking is nothing more than backpedalling. The Jets were in a "Win and in" game and they lost the game. 

hahahaha! WTF are you even talking about lmao!!!!! 

The "Title" of the thread says "Win and in games". The Jets lost the game, period. THEY LOST THE GAME. What you're talking is nothing more than backpedalling. The Jets were in a "Win and in" game and they lost the game. 

win and in meaning you have to win to get in.  we lost and still got in what is the issue? 

Which is all that matters. They only thing that was different were the outcomes.

that is not all that matters b/c circumstances during the games changed things.  the bottom line is this, did we have to win to get in in 2004?  the answer is NO b/c we lost and still made it.  In 2015 we had to win to get in b/c we lost and we did not make it. 1997 we lost but had we won we still don't make it, same thing w/ 2011.

win and in meaning you have to win to get in.  we lost and still got in what is the issue? 

So by your definition, if Pittsburgh also lost Sunday then the Jets game wasnt a win and in game? It changes after the outcomes are determined?

that is not all that matters b/c circumstances during the games changed things.  the bottom line is this, did we have to win to get in in 2004?  the answer is NO b/c we lost and still made it.  In 2015 we had to win to get in b/c we lost and we did not make it. 1997 we lost but had we won we still don't make it, same thing w/ 2011.

We did not have to win on Sunday if Pittsburgh had lost. This isnt complicated.

So by your definition, if Pittsburgh also lost Sunday then the Jets game wasnt a win and in game? It changes after the outcomes are determined?

AGAIN, the circumstances of the games changed things.  there is no way we kick a 50+ yd FG w/ Doug Brien late in OT if we don't know Buf has lost and we are in.  if Buf was still alive we punt deep into SL territory.  a tie would have got us in too.  on the surface the situations were similar but as soon as we knew Buf lost we changed strategy.

Backing in wasnt an issue, its your backpedalling thats the issue. These are your own words: 

"I see a lot of talk about how we always fail in win and in games, the reality is we have only lost 4 times in our history

The Jets clearly lost the game bro. 

They lost a "win and in" game and backed in because of another team.

Sunday the Jets lost a "win and in" game and didnt back in because of another team. 

Both games were games where the Jets initiallly controlled their destiny but ultimately left it in the hands of other game outcomes because they LOST. 

Backing in wasnt an issue, its your backpedalling thats the issue. These are your own words: 

"I see a lot of talk about how we always fail in win and in games, the reality is we have only lost 4 times in our history

The Jets clearly lost the game bro. 

They lost a "win and in" game and backed in because of another team.

Sunday the Jets lost a "win and in" game and didnt back in because of another team. 

Both games were games where the Jets initiallly controlled their destiny but ultimately left it in the hands of other game outcomes because they LOST. 

nowhere have I backpedalled, just b/c you are making things up does not mean I am backpedalling.

I have cleared up any confusion by later stating it was win and in/lose and out situations.  I cleared that up BEFORE you ever posted in the thread.  first page, 2 posts BEFORE you posted your incorrect info.  thanks for playing.

we set up that run for you.

1)not out Bledsoe, BB's job was on the line and he would have gone to Brady sooner than later but even a few more weeks and few more losses w/o Brady would have postponed the dynasty.

2)we blew that game in December at the meadolands.  we dominated the first half but kept settling for Fgs and blew it in the 2nd half.

3)we lost at home to an awful Bills team which handed the division to you

4)we beat oak which gave you the bye

that was not win and in, if it was we would have missed the playoffs.  No such thing as backdoor, you either win the amount required to make it or you don't.

that one was in the original list.

I heard an interview with the guy who wrote the Brady/Manning rivalry book.  He stated that Belichick wanted Brady to start over Bledsoe to start the season.  Belichick decided against the change because of getting chastised by the fans in Cleveland for benching the hometown favorite QB Bernie Kosar(he actually grew up in Youngstown).  Mo Lewis help Belichick get what he wanted.

quote malfunctioning again, I am responding to devland.

I don't doubt BB was going to Brady sooner than later b/c his job was on the line but I have a hard time believing he wanted to start Brady to start the season as he just gave Bledsoe a $100 mill deal that offseason.

It is NOT the same.  it would have been the same if we were tied late in the game or in OT w/ Buffalo and we found out Pitt had lost.  then it would have been the same.

Of course it's the same. It's only different if you think the Jets stopped trying in the Rams game because they were watching the out of town scoreboard, which is idiotic. With a chance to clinch a playoff spot they lost, and were lucky to make the playoffs. It's completely absurd to not count 2004 when you're counting 2015. It's the exact same situation.

Of course it's the same. It's only different if you think the Jets stopped trying in the Rams game because they were watching the out of town scoreboard, which is idiotic. With a chance to clinch a playoff spot they lost, and were lucky to make the playoffs. It's completely absurd to not count 2004 when you're counting 2015. It's the exact same situation.

they didn't stop trying, they made a decision they would not have made.  here was the situation;

In OT w/ 5 mins left in a game that gets them to the playoffs if a)they win, b)they tie or c)buf loses.  they already knew Buf lost and they were in so they took the chance on the FG, if Buf had won there is no way they attempt that FG risking giving SL a short field w/ the season on the line. 

2004 was NOT like 2015 and ONCE AGAIN I explained it was win and in/lose and out.  clearly we made the playoffs in spit of the loss so that does not fall into that category.

AGAIN, the circumstances of the games changed things.  there is no way we kick a 50+ yd FG w/ Doug Brien late in OT if we don't know Buf has lost and we are in.  if Buf was still alive we punt deep into SL territory.  a tie would have got us in too.  on the surface the situations were similar but as soon as we knew Buf lost we changed strategy.

Yeah, this is the same coaching staff that two weeks later kneeled the ball so Brien could try to win the game by setting a Heinz Field record for longest FG. You don't have a pot to piss in here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quote malfunctioning again, I am responding to devland.

I don't doubt BB was going to Brady sooner than later b/c his job was on the line but I have a hard time believing he wanted to start Brady to start the season as he just gave Bledsoe a $100 mill deal that offseason.

From the author Gary Meyers (in the interview I heard with Meyers  it was worded differently):

I devoted an entire chapter in the book to Brady’s struggles at Michigan. Despite a 20-5 record as Michigan’s starter his final two years, he was a sixth round draft pick in 2000. He was the 199th player picked – the seventh quarterback overall and the seventh player taken by New England. He was fourth on the Patriots depth chart after training camp his rookie year and teams almost never keep four QBs. But there was something about Brady that Belichick really liked and he didn’t want to take a chance that if he cut him, he would be claimed before he could put him on the practice squad. By the start of his second season, Brady has moved up to second string behind Drew Bledsoe. He actually outplayed Bledsoe over the summer, and under different circumstances, Belichick might have opened the season with him as the starter. But owner Robert Kraft loved Bledsoe and just signed him to a $100 million contract. And Belichick incurrent the wrath of Cleveland fans when he demoted and then cut local icon Bernie Kosar when he was the coach of the Browns. Belichick didn’t want to go through that again with Bledsoe. But when Bledsoe suffered a serious chest injury in the second game of the 2001 season, it gave Belichick the opportunity to play Brady, and he went on that season to win the first of his four Super Bowls and first of his three Super Bowl MVPs.

From the author Gary Meyers (in the interview I heard with Meyers  it was worded differently):

I devoted an entire chapter in the book to Brady’s struggles at Michigan. Despite a 20-5 record as Michigan’s starter his final two years, he was a sixth round draft pick in 2000. He was the 199th player picked – the seventh quarterback overall and the seventh player taken by New England. He was fourth on the Patriots depth chart after training camp his rookie year and teams almost never keep four QBs. But there was something about Brady that Belichick really liked and he didn’t want to take a chance that if he cut him, he would be claimed before he could put him on the practice squad. By the start of his second season, Brady has moved up to second string behind Drew Bledsoe. He actually outplayed Bledsoe over the summer, and under different circumstances, Belichick might have opened the season with him as the starter. But owner Robert Kraft loved Bledsoe and just signed him to a $100 million contract. And Belichick incurrent the wrath of Cleveland fans when he demoted and then cut local icon Bernie Kosar when he was the coach of the Browns. Belichick didn’t want to go through that again with Bledsoe. But when Bledsoe suffered a serious chest injury in the second game of the 2001 season, it gave Belichick the opportunity to play Brady, and he went on that season to win the first of his four Super Bowls and first of his three Super Bowl MVPs.

I want to get than book.  how is it?

Yeah, this is the same coaching staff that two weeks later kneeled the ball so Brien could try to win the game by setting a Heinz Field record for longest FG. You don't have a pot to piss in here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heinz Field was  a few years old at the time.  he had just missed a 47 yarder by inches, the next kick was 43 yds.  please stop. I have FACTS and reality.

I want to get than book.  how is it?

I actually haven't bought it yet.  I just heard the Meyers interview with Francesca.  It sounded real good.  I have been meaning to buy it.  I am backed up a couple books now because of books I received as Christmas presents.   It is always good for relations to read the books your wife bought for you first. lol

all things considered people who cry about SOJs are pretty whiney, the sky is falling types who thrive on telling people how everything sucks

Yeah they may be, but when have the Jets done anything to change it? 

The fact that we're talking about it today atleast shows to some degree that those whiney individuals have a case. 

nowhere have I backpedalled, just b/c you are making things up does not mean I am backpedalling.

I have cleared up any confusion by later stating it was win and in/lose and out situations.  I cleared that up BEFORE you ever posted in the thread.  first page, 2 posts BEFORE you posted your incorrect info.  thanks for playing.

Making things up? They lost the game. Thats not made up. You make a statement then trying to "clarify" your statement (which was the backpedal) doesnt change the fact that no matter how you want to call it the Jets were in a "Win and in" situation and lost the game. 

The fact that you cant even admit that isnt surprising. I've seen you defend the pats which was just as ridiculous. 

And you're welcome, I enjoyed playing. Please, have the last word, it doesnt really matter given that the Jets are what they are at this point. 

Archived