Junc - Azog Duke UNC Discussion

AzogtheDefiler

I think every title is pretty special. Duke had to beat a physical WV team that schooled John Wall and KY and last year with a mostly frosh team they beat a tough Wisconsin team that schooled a very talented, albeit young KY squad. I never blame refs as that is just a part of the game and I thought (admittedly biased) the officiating was fair. Ryan just wasn't prepared for the Allen drives to the hoop but as we see this year Allen has that skill.

My whole thing is that Duke - UNC is a huge rivalry. I am not sure about UCONN. Yes, they won titles but I still for some reason don't view them as an elite hoops powerhouse. It may just be me? IDK. 

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, AzogtheDefiler said:

I think every title is pretty special. Duke had to beat a physical WV team that schooled John Wall and KY and last year with a mostly frosh team they beat a tough Wisconsin team that schooled a very talented, albeit young KY squad. I never blame refs as that is just a part of the game and I thought (admittedly biased) the officiating was fair. Ryan just wasn't prepared for the Allen drives to the hoop but as we see this year Allen has that skill.

My whole thing is that Duke - UNC is a huge rivalry. I am not sure about UCONN. Yes, they won titles but I still for some reason don't view them as an elite hoops powerhouse. It may just be me? IDK. 

that 2010 run was easy as cake.  That physical WVU team which just shot their load against Uk also lost one of their best players in that game(not an Amile Jefferson type).

it's frustrating b/c K spends all game working the refs, he teaches his guys to sell fouls and he gets away w/ it.  On one hand I commend him b/c he will do anything to win but on the other hand he has ruined basketball.

3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

that 2010 run was easy as cake.  That physical WVU team which just shot their load against Uk also lost one of their best players in that game(not an Amile Jefferson type).

it's frustrating b/c K spends all game working the refs, he teaches his guys to sell fouls and he gets away w/ it.  On one hand I commend him b/c he will do anything to win but on the other hand he has ruined basketball.

He hurt his knee but the game was well out of hand by then. That Duke team was unique in that K had Zoubek and Thomas get offensive boards and rather than try to score fling the passes back to beyond the 3 pt line where Nolan Smith, Scheyer and Singler just launched 3s. The Plumlees did the same thing when Zoub and LT sat. He is doing his job in terms of working the refs. I don't begrudge him at all for that and yes I am biased. That Butler team they played was not terrible either with two future NBA players on it an a ridiculously great coach in Stevens. 

53 minutes ago, AzogtheDefiler said:

He hurt his knee but the game was well out of hand by then. That Duke team was unique in that K had Zoubek and Thomas get offensive boards and rather than try to score fling the passes back to beyond the 3 pt line where Nolan Smith, Scheyer and Singler just launched 3s. The Plumlees did the same thing when Zoub and LT sat. He is doing his job in terms of working the refs. I don't begrudge him at all for that and yes I am biased. That Butler team they played was not terrible either with two future NBA players on it an a ridiculously great coach in Stevens. 

zoubek and Thomas(who should have been ineligible) were used to foul except the refs didn't call them.

by the way, outside of the big man last year that is always how K uses his bigs.

Butler was still a mid major but yes Stevens is one of the best coaches in basketball at any level.

36 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

zoubek and Thomas(who should have been ineligible) were used to foul except the refs didn't call them.

by the way, outside of the big man last year that is always how K uses his bigs.

Butler was still a mid major but yes Stevens is one of the best coaches in basketball at any level.

Nah, he used Brand and Boozer as scorers and Mason Plumlee was a a pseudo scorer. He'll adjust to the players he has. Unfortunately he recruits numerous "stiffs" at that position like Burgess, Sanders, Zoubek, Jeter, Domzalski, Boateng, Parks, Meek, etc. Perhaps he is looking for the next Laettner?

2 hours ago, AzogtheDefiler said:

Yes, they won titles but I still for some reason don't view them as an elite hoops powerhouse.

No offense to you, but that's plain nyjunk levels of stupidity. UConn mens basketball has more titles than anyone over the last 20 years, yet they're not an elite hoops program? 

I'll accept it if you want to plead the fifth or tell me that you have ACC colored goggles on and are so biased that you've willed yourself into believing that UConn isn't in the discussion with the elite programs, but outside of that, saying UConn isn't an elite hoops program basically makes you the stupidest guy in the room. 

21 minutes ago, AzogtheDefiler said:

Nah, he used Brand and Boozer as scorers and Mason Plumlee was a a pseudo scorer. He'll adjust to the players he has. Unfortunately he recruits numerous "stiffs" at that position like Burgess, Sanders, Zoubek, Jeter, Domzalski, Boateng, Parks, Meek, etc. Perhaps he is looking for the next Laettner?

it's very rare, in most years the bigs are just there to rebound, foul and pass it out for 3.

Laettner is the best college player I have ever seen,  I hope he never gets another like him.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

it's very rare, in most years the bigs are just there to rebound, foul and pass it out for 3.

Laettner is the best college player I have ever seen,  I hope he never gets another like him.

Giles could be that good although he'll only stay one year. Okafor was outstanding but to your point these examples are anomalies at Duke. G/F oriented prog.

2 minutes ago, AzogtheDefiler said:

Giles could be that good although he'll only stay one year. Okafor was outstanding but to your point these examples are anomalies at Duke. G/F oriented prog.

Giles if healthy should be that good.  I never understand why any bigs want to go to duke.

3 minutes ago, AzogtheDefiler said:

Because Duke is the #1 prog. in College Hoops. Always on TV. Ton of exposure. A lot of famous alumni. 

they are one of the top programs, they are not #1.

K is a master salesman but his involvement in USA basketball has taken recruiting to another level.  No way he;'s getting these 1 and done's w/o it.

what famous alumni? huh?

Just now, nyjunc said:

they are one of the top programs, they are not #1.

K is a master salesman but his involvement in USA basketball has taken recruiting to another level.  No way he;'s getting these 1 and done's w/o it.

what famous alumni? huh?

K is also a huge reason. 

Alumni - Grant Hill, Jay Williams (TV Analyst), Shane Battier (TV Analyst), Laettner (best CB player ever), Mike Dunleavy, Okafor, Winslow, Jabari Parker, Kyrie Irving, Plumlees, Austin Rivers, etc.

They are frequently shown in Duke gear at Duke games too so they can further promote the brand. 

Just now, AzogtheDefiler said:

K is also a huge reason. 

Alumni - Grant Hill, Jay Williams (TV Analyst), Shane Battier (TV Analyst), Laettner (best CB player ever), Mike Dunleavy, Okafor, Winslow, Jabari Parker, Kyrie Irving, Plumlees, Austin Rivers, etc.

They are frequently shown in Duke gear at Duke games too so they can further promote the brand. 

K is a master salesman.  whenever they lose he has the PR machine spin it and the media eats it up, look at the "we only have 6 players" excuse this year.  Only K can do this, a preseason top 10 team that finished 5th in his own conference and people are talking about him like he did a masterful job.  I hate the guy but I have to tip my cap.  

those are all basketball players and none great at the next level.  every big time school has that many and many more plus great NBA players.  No one has more than Carolina.

5 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

K is a master salesman.  whenever they lose he has the PR machine spin it and the media eats it up, look at the "we only have 6 players" excuse this year.  Only K can do this, a preseason top 10 team that finished 5th in his own conference and people are talking about him like he did a masterful job.  I hate the guy but I have to tip my cap.  

those are all basketball players and none great at the next level.  every big time school has that many and many more plus great NBA players.  No one has more than Carolina.

Grant Hill and Kyrie = Great. Battier was very good. Boozer was very good too. We'll see how Okafor and Winslow end up. Same for Jabari. Fact is Duke is ALWAYS on TV. Ingram and Allen should be good pros too. 

2 minutes ago, AzogtheDefiler said:

Grant Hill and Kyrie = Great. Battier was very good. Boozer was very good too. We'll see how Okafor and Winslow end up. Same for Jabari. Fact is Duke is ALWAYS on TV. Ingram and Allen should be good pros too. 

Kyrie is a good NBA player, can be great.

Grant was very overrated as an NBA player.  had a disappointing NBA career.

battier was a nice role player

Boozer had 2-3 good years then pulled some of K's ethics on Cleveland

K doesn't develop players and I believe w/ all the players he has sent to the NBA only battier has a championship ring.  

Carolina is always on TV, Kentucky is always on TV, kansas is always on TV.  you act like duke is the only team always on TV.

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

Kyrie is a good NBA player, can be great.

Grant was very overrated as an NBA player.  had a disappointing NBA career.

battier was a nice role player

Boozer had 2-3 good years then pulled some of K's ethics on Cleveland

K doesn't develop players and I believe w/ all the players he has sent to the NBA only battier has a championship ring.  

Carolina is always on TV, Kentucky is always on TV, kansas is always on TV.  you act like duke is the only team always on TV.

I think Duke and KY are on TV more than most. Coach K is definitely the difference maker as he he'll probably go down as #1 or #2 coach of all time in CBB. Hill's career was derailed by injuries but he was awesome when healthy. 

Boozer had more than 2-3 good years. 

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/boozeca01.html

12 minutes ago, AzogtheDefiler said:

I think Duke and KY are on TV more than most. Coach K is definitely the difference maker as he he'll probably go down as #1 or #2 coach of all time in CBB. Hill's career was derailed by injuries but he was awesome when healthy. 

Boozer had more than 2-3 good years. 

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/boozeca01.html

Hill never even made a conf finals

Boozer was a decent player for a few years

K is a master, the man has ruined basketball and is universally praised.  year after year after year the names and faces change but his players are involved in dirty on court incidents and he never gets any blame and he deflects it.  the dirtiest play I have ever seen when Henderson cheap shotted Hansbrough K called Henderson the real victim and the media ate it up.  Now he is calling the criticism of Allen racist despite the fact he is another in a long line of dirty players under him b/c he teaches basketball that way.  Great coach, one of the best ever but has ruined the game.

Just now, nyjunc said:

Hill never even made a conf finals

Boozer was a decent player for a few years

K is a master, the man has ruined basketball and is universally praised.  year after year after year the names and faces change but his players are involved in dirty on court incidents and he never gets any blame and he deflects it.  the dirtiest play I have ever seen when Henderson cheap shotted Hansbrough K called Henderson the real victim and the media ate it up.  Now he is calling the criticism of Allen racist despite the fact he is another in a long line of dirty players under him b/c he teaches basketball that way.  Great coach, one of the best ever but has ruined the game.

"Ruined the Game" is a subjective term. Thats equivalent to Magic ruining the game because he always palmed the ball and now every player does it (none more than Terry Rozier). I appreciate the hate since you are a Tar Heels fan. But players like Redick and Allen are what defines Duke. Hated because they are good. Hansbrough was a bit feisty when he played too. GH was wrong but I could see his temper got the best of him. 

3 minutes ago, AzogtheDefiler said:

"Ruined the Game" is a subjective term. Thats equivalent to Magic ruining the game because he always palmed the ball and now every player does it (none more than Terry Rozier). I appreciate the hate since you are a Tar Heels fan. But players like Redick and Allen are what defines Duke. Hated because they are good. Hansbrough was a bit feisty when he played too. GH was wrong but I could see his temper got the best of him. 

Redick and Allen are/were not hated b/c they are/were good they are/were hated b/c of the way they played.  the cheap shots, the acting, the flopping, the kicking out the legs on a 3, the whining, etc...

Hansbrough played the game the right way, he was hated b/c of how good he was.

Flopping is b/c of K, kicking out legs on 3's, the head snap, cursing out refs, never losing w/ class, the excuses, the push offs, daring refs to call every foul.  K has ruined the game.  basketball is not the same b/c of him.  he's won a lot and that is all he cares about so congrats to him and duke on that.

there was no excuse in the world for what Henderson did that day.

Archived